Page 2 of 37 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast

Thread: The Official MMA Thread

Default Re: UFC 79 is off the hook!

he just waits and waits and waits right in front of his opponent not doing anything, he needs to be more aggressive, punch and kick his opponents more.
    Couldn't agree more. He did the exact same thing with Gonzaga (the commentators even mentioned it a few times during the first round, I think).

As for the ground game - it's not CC at his best, but he could always do some pretty good damage with those hammer fists he likes I thought. At the end of the day he just needs to mix it up a little more and give the people he fights something to think about, like you said.

edit: Change of topic - assuming a Hughes vs.Serra fight actually ends up happening once Matt heals (let's assume he's 100%), who comes out on top you think?
    Last edited by Publius; December 28, 2007 at 12:26 AM.

In regards to Serra vs Hughes, thats such an interesting fight, Serra has superior striking and BJJ while Hughes is much larger and has better wrestling.

I think Hughes might simply overpower and outmuscle Serra, use his strength to overwhelm Serra.

Bwaho's Avatar Puppeteer
    From the kingdom of heaven by the powah of the holy spirit

ok guys enough speculating, I want your predictions now. Make em short and after the fight we'll see who got the most right!

Guillard vs Clementi

Guillard by TKO in round 1

Sokoudjou vs Machida

Sokoudjou by KO in round 2

Liddell vs Silva

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say Liddell by TKO in round 1

Guillard vs Clementi
    Clementi by submission in round 3

I'm hoping Guillard psyches himself out of this one - if Clementi can get past the first round I think Guillard may well run out of gas towards the end.

Sokoudjou vs Machida
    Agreed with Bwaho

Liddell vs Silva
    Liddell by TKO in round 3

Pra's Avatar Sir Lucious Left Foot

I'm going with Wanderlei. His training definitely looked more intense, and Liddell is a little past his prime.
    Under patronage of Emperor Dimitricus Patron of vikrant1986, ErikinWest, VOP2288

Anagennese, the Rise of the Black Hand

MacMillan doesn't compensate for variable humidity,wind speed and direction or the coriolis effect. Mother nature compensates for where Macmillan's crosshairs are.

Machida by UD
    Liddell by UD
    GSP by TKO Rd2

Really? Why do you guys think Liddell will win one over Silva? I'm not sure on GSP Hughes. That one I can't predict I haven't seen Hughes recently, but GSP has been training very intensely.
    Under patronage of Emperor Dimitricus Patron of vikrant1986, ErikinWest, VOP2288

MacMillan doesn't compensate for variable humidity,wind speed and direction or the coriolis effect. Mother nature compensates for where Macmillan's crosshairs are.

Quote Originally Posted by Pra Phunkin' Monchichi View Post
    Really? Why do you guys think Liddell will win one over Silva?
    Wanderlei is reckless, he swarms in with wild hooks. Chuck punches straight down the middle.
    Wandelrei's chin is suspect and not as good as Chucks.
    Chuck has 1 punch KO power. Wanderlei does not.

I see Wanderlei swarming and getting tagged with straight right counters all night, I think it will go to a UD as both fighters will be cautious and tentative not wanting to lose after two consectuve defeats and they may be somewhat intimidated with all the hype.

Chuck is a bad matchup for Wanderlei.

Clementi chokes out Gullard gives him a little nudge after the choke, Guillard goes after him and the ref holds him back!

Machida just choked out Sokoudjou in the 2nd round.
    The first round was fought mostly on the floor, Machida beat up Soko for a bit in the 2nd and then sunk in the choke.
    Last edited by Publius; December 29, 2007 at 11:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Duke View Post
    Wanderlei is reckless, he swarms in with wild hooks. Chuck punches straight down the middle.
    Wandelrei's chin is suspect and not as good as Chucks.
    Chuck has 1 punch KO power. Wanderlei does not.

I see Wanderlei swarming and getting tagged with straight right counters all night, I think it will go to a UD as both fighters will be cautious and tentative not wanting to lose after two consectuve defeats and they may be somewhat intimidated with all the hype.

Chuck is a bad matchup for Wanderlei.

I dunno about the 1 punch KO power- see Wanderlei vs. Sakuraba (the third fight). Still I do think it'll be pretty cautious.

Sakuraba was outweighed 20lbs by Wanderlei, not to mention Sak was already a shot to hell, semi-crippled fighter from all the punishment he took in his career previously.

The 3rd fight with Wandy was a joke and should never have happened. Wanderlei has never KO'd someone his own size with 1 punch.

Sanchez wins by breaking the other guys nose, acts like a douche after winning, screaming and taunting his opponent.

Perhaps hes forgetting how much he looked like a little bitch against Crocop as he ran around the octagon resembling a scared rabbit.
    Last edited by Publius; December 29, 2007 at 11:35 PM.

Sakuraba was outweighed 20lbs by Wanderlei, not to mention Sak was already a shot to hell, semi-crippled fighter from all the punishment he took in his career previously.

The 3rd fight with Wandy was a joke and should never have happened. Wanderlei has never KO'd someone his own size with 1 punch.
    Fine I agree, but Wanderlei has those deadly knees.

It begins, mostly stand up, Chuck wins the 1st round imo.

Liddell was knocked down twice in the 2nd round, Silva controlled the round with the cleaner punching. Wanderlei looked exhausted as the round ended though.
    2nd round to Silva. The 3rd will be the decider.

3rd round: They are both exhausted, no power on either mans punches at this point, doubtful there will be a knockout.
    Lidell controlled most of the 3rd round, landed a spinning back fist on Silva. I give the 3rd to Chuck. You gotta give it to him.

Awaiting official decision.

Chuck wins by UD!!
    As I predicted.
    God, I'm good.

Matt Hughes vs Georges St Pierre

Rd 1: FIGHT!

GSP controlling the Stand-up.
    GSP controlling the ground game.
    No meaningful blows yet.

It is already going how I predicted.

Round 1 goes to GSP.

Hughes didn't do jack.
    I mean nothing. Zero, Zilch, Nada!

Rd 2:
    GSP gets Hughes' back!
    Gets a takedown and wins by armbar!!

GSP wins by submission (armbar)

I called it!

Seriously, lets look at this objectively, Hughes has zero chance of winning this fight with the frenchie.

Frenchie has vastly superior striking,has pinpoint accuracy, great hands and kicks. Hughes has terrible striking, he just flails his arms around has zero technique at all. He doesn't have power in his punches either to test GSP's questionable chin. Hughes also has bad defence, while GSP has a good one against punches.

Hughes has great wrestling but I think with his fights with Koscheck and with Hughes himself, GSP is now equal to Hughes and CANNOT be taken down. I fully expect GSP to avoid all takedowns and even outwrestle Hughes.

I can't really say much about their Jiu Jitsu, maybe they're about even, I doubt Hughes can be that much better than GSP to help him during the fight.

GSP is stronger, faster more well rounded.........everything Hughes has, GSP does better or is at least equal.

It's a mismatch really. Matt Hughes will be brutally crushed barring a complete miracle.
    I called it!
    Hughes had no chance, no chance in hell!
    Last edited by Publius; December 29, 2007 at 11:35 PM. Reason: Merging posts.

Great news for Chuck - he needed a big win. UD may not be glorious, but hey, it counts!

Eagerly awaiting news on the Hughes-SP fight, I'm still pulling for my boy from Iowa.

edit: Damn.

Oh well the chips fell the way they did. I didn't really like the Chuck Wandelei fight as much as GSP Hughes. UD isn't the bloody gruesome mess that leaves one fighter KO that everyone loves.

GSP is the future of MMA. He is the prototype of what MMA fighters will become within 10 years.

He is a pioneer of the sport.

I think he'll maul Serra. Like everyone said the winner of this fight will be winner of Welterweight.

BTW UFC doesn't allow the soccer kicks when someone is down right? It allows elbowing though right?

BTW UFC doesn't allow the soccer kicks when someone is down right? It allows elbowing though right?
    Elbows it allows, soccer kicks... I'm not sure.

Kicks and knees to a grounded opponent are illegal (which imo is BS!)
    Elbpos are A-Ok though.

Titus001's Avatar Semisalis

GSP is the future of MMA. He is the prototype of what MMA fighters will become within 10 years.

He is a pioneer of the sport.
    I agree. My opinion the first pioneer of the modern MMA fighter is Frank Shamrock. Too bad wand lost, was pulling for him. Shocked that soku was owned like that.

GSP IS A BEAST....

Kicks and knees to a grounded opponent are illegal (which imo is BS!)
    Elbpos are A-Ok though.
    That sucks indeed. I know Wandelei used the kicks and knees quite a bit on his opponents in Pride Fighting, still it was a fair, but dull fight. I think I'd like to definitely see a rematch in the future.