Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Cvria Ivlia,Consulate of Regulus\Corvinus.

Default Re: Cvria Ivlia,Consulate of Regulus\Corvinus.

ok.

Kritias's Avatar Petite bourgeois

A young man in Roman officer armor enters the senate and stands in front of the consul's chair:

Senators of the Republic;
    My name is Gaius Fulvio and I am a legate to Consul's Regulus Legio II.I was sent here to you,by orders of the Consul.He wishes to inform you of his intentions and further he insisted in reading this letter in your presence:

"Esteemed Senators
    I have emptied the national treasury as we have agreed and issued the money to building and army recruitment; I issued orders to start the construction of Paved Roads in Capua and Ancona,Palisade Walls in Ancona and a temple of Mars in Rome.Also I have recruited several Italian and Roman skirmishers,some Italic Infantry and half a Legion in Rome to serve as garrisons and replacements for depleted maniples.Our economy has crumbled fast enough and we are now in a serious dept.Nevertheless I am determined to make the most of it.

Economy:

I am also very unhappy to inform the senate that the Carthaginians have invaded close to Capua with a small army and have officially declared war on us. Also I was informed from our spies that Macedonia and Epirus are now allies and ever more disturbing that the Illyrians have joined this unholy alliance.It is without doubt in my mind that the Epirotes are gathering allies in their war against us.To make matters worse an Illyrian invading party has landed close to Ancona.I am unsure of their intentions at the moment but I can assure you that what they are thinking is not to our benefit.

The Carthaginian invading army.

The Illyrian Force.

Lastly I inform you that I made contact with the enemy last night and after a small skirmish with no casualties they retreated to their fort. I am about to lead the Legio II into the fort.To that end I have commissioned my men to build 5 rams to assault it!

The battle begins...
    Under the valued patronage of Abdülmecid I

Motion to send diplomats to the north to make treaties
    Yea 5 Nay 0
    People should know what the consul is doing.
    May the gods curse those bastard Carthaginians and Illyrians let them taste Roman steel!
    Nevertheless how is the I Legion doing? Is it still guarding the northern route to Ancona?
    Last edited by Erakarhu; November 12, 2007 at 01:45 PM.
    The Crazy Finn

"Nobody respects a country with a poor army, but everybody respects a country with a good army. I raise my toast to the Finnish Army."

J. Stalin 1948

We shall fwee...Wode's Avatar Senator

He still has to tell us what he does, he just doesn't require permission. He can always however ask our opinions and believes in matters such as trade rights.
    add "wick" on the end of my name.

Gaivs Atilivs Balbvs - senator YATS, age 30)

Nephew of Marcvs Atilivs Balbvs, died in battle aged 48

The forums Monty Python nutter!

Yeah,Legio I is in it fort and awaits further commands...Of course noble Publicola,I raised only the constitutional argument.I am more than willing to go and require trade information from whichever nation you like.Go ahead with your proposals!

♔Jean-Luc Picard♔'s Avatar Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Gaivs Gracchvs
    Consul's Regulus Legio III
    where did the legio III come from?

Aquilinus

It is my great honour to have my poem Farmer in the Scriptorium here.

It was created on order of the senate, and request of the consul. Though it was more of reinforcements then a true legion.

Lucius Sextus Drusus, Patriciate.

it was supposed to be:
    Consul's Regulus Legio II(2) . I blah blah...
    sorry for the confusion...

Winter's Avatar Civitate

Good luck to the Consul! May the gods see fit to bless us with victory over these incredible odds!

(ooc) **** Carthage!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Jeb View Post
    Hah, you're always so helpful to threads Winter. No wonder you got citizen!

Damn the african dogs. We did of course knew this day would come, when the sons of Aeneas and Dido would battle for supremacy. We, must not allow these men to stand here without great consequence. We must send our legions straight to these dogs after the defeat of Pyrrhus.

Winter's Avatar Civitate

I fear we will not be able too. Pyrrhus will drain us of resources and manpower, and I don't think it would be wise to rush off to war immediately afterward with the sons of Dido.

I mean only to kill those whom have landed on Roman soil. I do not wish to be misunderstood, I don't want us gallavanting (amazing word!) off to Sicily. I only want justice for this grievance. A humiliating slaughter of mercenaries would suffice.

Paul d's Avatar Praepositus

ooc: see, i told you this would happen. you get blizted by everyone by turn 3. good luck consvl, when i tried this, i got my arse handed to me in a glass jar.

I will comply to such a request if the senatus wills it;The Carthaginians won't see the dawn again nor their glorious city.

Are we officialy at war? Or have the dogs not the decency to declare hostility?

If no declaration of war has been handed to us, I feel we have no option but declaring war ourselves.

I think i made that clear; The Carthaginians blockaded our port in Capua and landed in its shore.We are at war gentlemen!

ooc. what I do (I don't use this mod but the one I use has a similar issue) is put a one unit army right near the shore so they can't land cheep but effective.

Lucius Sextus Drusus, Patriciate.

The legatus of the Legio II,G.Fulvio,enters the senate house.He reaches the consular seat and says:

"Esteemed Fathers.
    I bring results of the assault on Priam's fort!"
    He then sits to the marble steps and starts his tale of war:

After we had some minor skirmishes with the enemy, three months ago, we closed to the enemy camp and besieged it. Consul Regulus had us construct some battering rams while he daily sent scouts to look for enemy reinforcements. After some weeks of no help arriving to the fort, the Consul decided to assault it.

Our rams are positioning against the enemy walls.

We firstly positioned our rams against three of the four wooden gates; That would give us the advantage as the enemy would have to break up their troops to defend all sides of the assault. After all positions were taken, Regulus moved the equites to the western side of the camp to aid the advance there. Seeing our positioning the Epirote heir moved his battalions at place.
    The attack begun at noon; our battering rams reached the walls and gates of the enemy and soon after they had broken through. While the Consul was waiting for our engineers to destroy the enemy walls he sent the funditores to take down as many enemy soldiers as possible; they were excellent at their job. They managed to drive back some of the central defenders and killed some enemies before running out of ammunition.

After the walls were finally down, the Consul ordered the advance on all fronts. That meant to attack the fort from five different directions. First to engage the battle were the Triarii who stormed the main gate. Soon the gateway was Roman and the Triarii were forming up to advance further. On the west gate the attacking battalions quickly decimated a levy phalanx battalion and then moved to destroy an other who was guarding a breach in the wall. The other attacking maniples however were not so lucky in their encounters. In the center the Triarii were charged by Priam and his bodyguard and a Thessalian cavalry battalion. When the centurion saw the enemy cavalry galloping against his men he started screaming like a madman:
    SPEARS!!! SHIELD WALL FORMATION!!!
    His men complied in an instant, showing their great training and soon they were formed up and ready against the enemy cavalry. The charge was devastating; Whole ranks of Triarii were pushed back by the momentum and power of the horses. The battle crazed centurion was trying to push with his shield the last men backs, to keep them in formation.

“Hold! For the love of Rome, hold them!”
    His men were clearly loosing the fight; He then grabbed his cornicer (the roman army’s horn blower…) and told him to sound the emergency signal. The young’s cornicer’s hands were shaking and couldn’t blow the right signal. However the trembling sound reached the Consul and he then starting to fear the worse has happened to his men. He unsheathed his gladius and screamed to his cornicer;
    “Signal the Princepes! Signal the Princepes!”
    Three repeated short blows were heard;
    An experienced Princeps Centurion understood the signal and ordered his men:
    “ADVANCE”
    He said and his boys picked up their battered shields and started marching toward the camp. At each step the Princepes banged their swords at their shields and yelled the “Mars eccuti” chant of the legionaries (Mars follow us!). Then Mars showed His love to its soldiers; the banging scared the horses of the enemy and the Triarii were for a moment rescued; Then the Triarii centurion ordered his men to reform and to continue the fight against the Hetairoi.

In the right side of the camp the battle was also very difficult and bloody; Some Italian Hoplites have managed to break through the enemy walls. Then though they met the enemy heavy phalanx and their assault was cutted off. Soon they were in grave danger because they were no match to the Epirotes phalanx men. The Consul, being informed of this sent three hastati maniples to attack the enemy from the flanks and rear; though our soldiers did their best, they could not break the will of the epirotes to fight.

Then as all seemed lost to our men in the right side a rising noise was heard;
    “ROMA INVICTA”

The battalions of the left side have finally defeated their opponents and charged the center. The battle there was short lived; Our Triarii with new held were able to defeat the enemy cavalry and they also managed to kill Priam himself. The Cornicer of the center signaled that information back to the Consul and he ordered his men to break in two and assault the heavy phalanx battalion and the Bastarnae who were guarding the general’s tent. The heavy phalanx was easily surrounded and fought to their deaths; The Bastarnae were a tougher opponent. With their falxes managed to do great damage to some maniples. It was then that the Consul signaled his equites who charged the Bastarnae from behind and routed them. The enemy was routing leaving women, gold and weapons behind them. They boys started looting the camp and soon found the dead body of the Epirote Heir. The battle was over.

We have lost close to 400 men, all of the funditores and Italian Allies maniples. The rest of the army is intact.

Winter's Avatar Civitate

A victory, the first of the war, well done. But we are not done yet. If such a small Epirote force can do that much damage to our proud legions, imagine what Pyrrhus will do!

May the gods and your tactics not fail you, Consul.

♔Jean-Luc Picard♔'s Avatar Domesticus

nice battle. is there any chance of getting replacement funditores and Italian Ally maniples? or shall we be unable to recruit until we are out of the financial hell-hole?

Aquilinus

It is my great honour to have my poem Farmer in the Scriptorium here.