Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Kingdom of the Scots 3 - Previews

Muzz1497's Avatar Libertus

Default Re: Kingdom of The Scots Version 3.0 - Screenshot Preview Weekly Update 10MAR08 (UPDATED)

I think I prefer it not to have teases, or what you call previews.

So many smiley faces, what gives, you on something good swagger?
    Thank Forest Gump for creating the yellow smiley face.
    Last edited by Muzz1497; March 10, 2008 at 02:54 PM.
    War... war never changes.

Default Re: Kingdom of The Scots Version 3.0 - Screenshot Preview Weekly Update 10MAR08 (UPDATED)

Hello, just a quick question if brown is the new rebel color what is the status of Dunscaith? Which still appears Gray? Nothing big, also I am curious as to what the relationship between the clans and the House of Dunkeld will be? As vassals or merely allies?

The Border Reiver's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by Johannes Di Silentio View Post
    Hello, just a quick question if brown is the new rebel color what is the status of Dunscaith? Which still appears Gray? Nothing big, also I am curious as to what the relationship between the clans and the House of Dunkeld will be? As vassals or merely allies?
    Hey Johannes...although you can't tell from the screenshot Dunscaith starts as 1 of 2 regions for the MacDonalds. I'm going to further alter the terrain on Skye so that it is more open and better for movement.

Default Re: Kingdom of The Scots Version 3.0 - Screenshot Preview Weekly Update 01MAR08

How can William Wallace not be one of the focuses?!?!

I have to ask I am related to him...somehow...

By the way it really looks fantastic!
    Last edited by Confederate Jeb; March 12, 2008 at 09:45 AM.

Patrician

Default Re: Kingdom of The Scots Version 3.0 - Screenshot Preview Weekly Update 01MAR08

If The Wallace is a blood ancestor of yours I would be doing my research to establish the lineage....because that list of people would be very small indeed, be it on the Wallace line or the Crawford line. I am very jealous to say the least.

Well don't fear I'm not neglecting The Wallace. I've been putting work into a William Wallace campaign (not for version 3.0) set over the 8 year period of his rise from obscurity. Probably an 84 - 96 turn campaign or less, where you can fight at Stirling, be transported to York and then back to Falkirk etc, fighting English garrisons in the Scottish Provinces etc.

This campaign will be heavily scripted in those parts, but the rest will be free to march Wallace to London if you wish.

Quote Originally Posted by Confederate Jeb View Post
    How can William Wallace not be one of the focuses?!?!
    Wallace had a very important but very brief impact on Scots history. He became a national figure in 1297 but was not an effective leader after 1298. As the son of a very obscure noble (which is still far from being a commoner) his acceptance as the commander of the "national" army was entirely dependant on continuing military success. After his defeat at Falkirk he ceased to be a figure of much influence. Indeed he was seen by many as a barrier to a negotiated peace which many more powerful magnates saw as the only realistic option.

The modern perception of Wallace is heavily biased by the portrayal of the man in Blind Harry's epic poem, "The Acts and Deeds of Sir William Wallace, Knight of Elderslie", written around 1470. This mostly fictional account in turn gave rise to "Braveheart" which whatever merits it may have as a film entirely distorts and romanticises Wallace's life.

I believe it is Crawford. From what I know I'm related on his mother's side. Some of my family has been working on family geneology but I haven't seen it in a while.

As long as William Wallace is in the game (along with the Bruce that's good with me!

Quote Originally Posted by The Border Reiver View Post
    In addition to the skins shown below, we'll be adding work by some others such as Burrek and Vlad ...
    do you plan to implement the beautiful models, banners and shields from the ornamentum mode as well? they have now the english, scottish and norwegians already done and plan to make a britain campaign

The chronicler Romoald of Salerno said of Bohemund:
    "... and he was always seeking for the impossible!"

Perhaps you've watched Braveheart too many times and believe all of the historical inaccuracies to be true. William Wallace was a lowlander anyway. I'm glad he's not on my family tree. It always bothers me to see him in a kilt.

Very nice models;

@ Swagger - you said in the other thread "Arn't you focusing on the Scottish clans too much"... well isn't that the whole point of this mod? That's like you saying,

"Isn't 'Das Heilige Römische Reich' focused on the Holy Roman Empire too much'" or "Isn't Lord of the Rings Total War focused on Lord of the Rings too much?"

Lord Condormanius's Avatar Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by Ruairidh View Post
    Perhaps you've watched Braveheart too many times and believe all of the historical inaccuracies to be true. William Wallace was a lowlander anyway. I'm glad he's not on my family tree. It always bothers me to see him in a kilt.
    Not just a lowlander, but also, his name suggests that he was of Welsh ancestry.
    "There is a difference between what is wrong and what is evil. Evil is committed when clarity is taken away from what is clearly wrong, allowing wrong to be seen as less wrong, excusable, right, or an obligatory commandment of the Lord God Almighty.

Evil is bad sold as good, wrong sold as right, injustice sold as justice. Like the coat of a virus, a thin veil of right can disguise enormous wrong and confer an ability to infect others."
    -John G. Hartung

Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by Bohemund of Taranto View Post
    do you plan to implement the beautiful models, banners and shields from the ornamentum mode as well? they have now the english, scottish and norwegians already done and plan to make a britain campaign
    There were no plans, but I will definently check out the Norwegians!

Very nice models;

@ Swagger - you said in the other thread "Arn't you focusing on the Scottish clans too much"... well isn't that the whole point of this mod? That's like you saying,

"Isn't 'Das Heilige Römische Reich' focused on the Holy Roman Empire too much'" or "Isn't Lord of the Rings Total War focused on Lord of the Rings too much?"
    I'm in total agreeance with you Allu X

Wallace's family may indeed have been founded by a "Welshman". The name is of Anglo-Norman origin however. The Wallace family had been resident in Scotland for at least a hundred years before William's birth so any "Welshness" in his blood would have been very diluted.

Wallace was a Scots noble of the same ruling class as Robert the Bruce, albeit from a far less powerful family.

Muzz1497's Avatar Libertus

So its historically inaccurate that william wallace had sex with Sopie Marceau?
    War... war never changes.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bruce View Post
    The Wallace family had been resident in Scotland for at least a hundred years before William's birth so any "Welshness" in his blood would have been very diluted.
    Not for nothing, but 100 years is not a very long time...just a few generations. Anyway, I was just making the point that he was certainly not a highlander.

Quote Originally Posted by Muzz1497 View Post
    So its historically inaccurate that william wallace had sex with Sopie Marceau?
    In order for that to have happened, Sophie Marceau would have had to have sex with Wallace's 800 years dead and mutilated corpse...if she could find all of the pieces of it.

However, I think you are talking about Isabella of France...in which case, the answer is that it is highly unlikely.
    "There is a difference between what is wrong and what is evil. Evil is committed when clarity is taken away from what is clearly wrong, allowing wrong to be seen as less wrong, excusable, right, or an obligatory commandment of the Lord God Almighty.

Evil is bad sold as good, wrong sold as right, injustice sold as justice. Like the coat of a virus, a thin veil of right can disguise enormous wrong and confer an ability to infect others."
    -John G. Hartung

100 years allows 4-5 generations so Wallace may have been the Great Great Great Grandson of the Richard Wallace who was supposedly an anglo-norman-welsh knight. This would mean Wallace had around 3% Welsh blood in him at most.

He was not Welsh (or a Norman). He was not a Highlander. He was not a commoner and nor was he a paedophile. Isabella of France was only 10 years old when Wallace died.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bruce View Post
    100 years allows 4-5 generations so Wallace may have been the Great Great Great Grandson of the Richard Wallace who was supposedly an anglo-norman-welsh knight. This would mean Wallace had around 3% Welsh blood in him at most.
    I don't know about your estimate on the percentage of "Welsh blood." It seems to make a few assumptions about lineage, not the least of which is that all of the Wallace line's breeding for the previous 4-5 generations was only with 100% Scottish stock. Be that as it may, 100 years is still not a very long time. To have completely forgotten one's ancestry.

...but that is neither here nor there.

...nor was he a paedophile. Isabella of France was only 10 years old when Wallace died.
    ...and she didn't marry Edward II until 3 years after the death of Wallace. So, pedophile or not, Isabella would have been completely off his radar...playing with dolls in Paris.

-John G. Hartung

Cool mod, I really like it I'm proud of my Scottish heritage!

Do you have Clans as factions?

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Condormanius View Post
    I don't know about your estimate on the percentage of "Welsh blood." It seems to make a few assumptions about lineage, not the least of which is that all of the Wallace line's breeding for the previous 4-5 generations was only with 100% Scottish stock.
    Where Wallace is concerned there is much conjecture, some evidence and little proof. I certainly am not assuming that the Wallace's forbearers were of 100% Scottish stock for 4-5 generations (i.e. after the contentious original "Welshman"). I am however assuming that they were 100% non-Welsh, which in light of no evidence to the contrary seems a fairly reasonable assumption.

Be that as it may, 100 years is still not a very long time. To have completely forgotten one's ancestry.
    If it is true that his Great Great Great Grandfather was from Wales then Wallace may not have been aware of this. However, even if he did know this it would be hard to believe that Wallace considered himself anything other than a Scot. I think his connection to Wales is tenuous and of little relevance but that's just my opinion.

Isabella would have been completely off his radar...playing with dolls in Paris.
    Actually, Wallace spent some time at the French court after he resigned as Guardian...but let's not speculate further.

Quote Originally Posted by The Centurion View Post
    Do you have Clans as factions?
    err...yes.
    Last edited by The Bruce; March 28, 2008 at 12:00 AM.

wilddog's Avatar Paintedwolves run free

however, I think you are talking about Isabella of France...in which case, the answer is that it is highly unlikely
    She became the mistress of the Earl of March - Roger Mortimer possibly helping him to escape the tower in august 1323. Nothing to do with Wallace other than in the film. Even Edward II was only 13 or 14 through the main part of the film.