Thread: Could not open UI! error message

Hunter Makoy's Avatar We got 2 words for ya..

Default Could not open UI! error message

i am running one of my own mods using the a batch file. i was trying to test something in a custom campaign. after the battlefield loaded the game froze. when i checked the log file it said '20:52:33.625 [data.invalid] [error] Could not open UI! Vid mem 180250880'

does anyone know wat that means and where to look for the problem?

thank you
    Under the patronage of Lord Condormanius (12.29.08)
    "Yes, I know why the leaf is turning yellow. Its a lack of chloroform."

Elric von Rabenfels's Avatar The Devil Inside

Default Re: Could not open UI! error message

Do you have Kingdoms installed?
    - What can change the nature of a man?

no i do not, only m2tw

How exactly does it looks when the batte has loaded? Do you see the battlemap for a few seconds before it crashes?

If the answer is yes, you have to delete 2 files in the Medieval II data folder.

And what patch do you use?

i dont think its the geography file problem, but i will check again. but no, i dont believe i could see it at all, i think it crashed at the end of the loading screen.

a lil bit more background. i had tested the shield wall earlier, and it showed up and worked (with wierd button graphics since they dont exsist ingame), and halfway through the battle the game froze, but i think that may have been cuz of graphics or something.

patch is 1.2

EDIT: not the geography file problem.

also, how do u find certain lines in a file? do i really have to count to line 564? (unrelated problem in desc_strat, im sure its a typo)

EDIT: got that fixed, opened it in word.

i've also got this error that keeps popping up, i didn't think it was doing any harm, but i ran the campaign after fixing the typos and it CTD'd after the faction movie played, and this was the only thing that showed up in the system log.

16:29:27.718 [data.xml.tag] [error] File:[mymod/data/descr_movies.xml]Error: empty tag.(4:26)
    16:29:27.734 [data.xml.tag] [error] File:[mymod/data/descr_movies_tracks.xml]Error: empty tag.(6:20)

that's another one that i dont know how to figure out.
    Last edited by Hunter Makoy; October 26, 2007 at 04:34 PM.

Get a free program like Context, so you don't have to count by yourself

I use it all the time, and I think it's a good program.

thanx, wat i ended up dong for now was opening it in Word, since it's go to function works, and finding it that way.

but i still dont knwo anything on the UI error and now i have this other error also ^^^^^^

Damnit

Hmmm... I can't think of a solution right now..

Try to copy the original Medieval II campaign UI files (I assume you have it unpacked) into your mod/campaign folder.

hhhmm, ok, ill try that,

when i started the mod the UI didn't transfer at all. however i have added in the ancillaries from BBB, which may have caused the problem (just thought of that), but i think the problem was already started before i did that.

ill let u know how it goes.

Alright, I wish you luck

Modding is a kinda stressful activity sometimes, isn't it?

yes, which is y text modding is the only thing i ever mess with. i'd love to do more, but i just dont have the patiants to create skins, and rn't that good at it, and i also just dont have the enginering mindset to be able to handle modeling. i'm trying to find someone who will make a dis. mailed knights unit for the catholic factions for me tho.

EDIT: ok i copied the whole UI folder over to fill out the ancillary folder it didn't work on either GC or custom battle, still the same respective problems. then i deleted the entire UI folder out of the mymod folder and still same effect. so i believe that even tho it says something about the UI, it does not infact have anything to do with the UI folder. BTW the error that shows up when the grand campaign crashes is only the movie track errors, not the UI errors, and when the custom battle crashes both appear.

I believe that maybe the movie track error may still not be a crashable error, and that it happends before anything else is done, and that the error causing the GC to crash during the loading screan is not being recorded.
    Last edited by Hunter Makoy; October 26, 2007 at 07:01 PM.

UPDATE

i think the problem my be the way i modded the cfg file for the mod. i'm using alpaca's mod builder program. this creates the mod folder, and the batch file and cfg file. there r 2 cfg files, one in the mod folder, and one in the m2tw folder. the config file looks very similar to the m2tw cfg file. it has settings for the video, ui, game, and so on. wat has happend is that the settings that i set in-game do not affect the settings in the file. if i change the settings in the file (i.e. taking it off of windowed mode) then those stay changed, but using the game to change unit size and video settings do not get changed in the cfg file. they do change in the game, but if i quit the game, start the program again, and start a new game, they r back to their settings listed in the cfg file. the only other wierd thing i noticed is that the cfg for my mod does not have an io-file first command line in it.

i looked through the cfg file for mods like SS and the only lines they have is for the featured mod, and for io file first. so wat i did was delete everytyhing in the file except for the featured mod, and the error log listing, and added in the io-file first command. i think that might be where the problem is comming from.

but the thing is i need to make this so it will not be as screwed up as it origonally is with the unchangeable video settings and all. (i cant tell potential d/l'ers "just change ur settings in the cfg file", i dont even know how to fully do that!)

DaDump's Avatar Libertus

did you solve it?

I'm having the same issue

irishron's Avatar Cura Palatii

Quote Originally Posted by DaDump View Post
    did you solve it?

I'm having the same issue
    Quote Originally Posted by Hunter Makoy View Post
    UPDATE

i think the problem my be the way i modded the cfg file for the mod. i'm using alpaca's mod builder program. this creates the mod folder, and the batch file and cfg file. there r 2 cfg files, one in the mod folder, and one in the m2tw folder. the config file looks very similar to the m2tw cfg file. it has settings for the video, ui, game, and so on. wat has happend is that the settings that i set in-game do not affect the settings in the file. if i change the settings in the file (i.e. taking it off of windowed mode) then those stay changed, but using the game to change unit size and video settings do not get changed in the cfg file. they do change in the game, but if i quit the game, start the program again, and start a new game, they r back to their settings listed in the cfg file. the only other wierd thing i noticed is that the cfg for my mod does not have an io-file first command line in it.

i looked through the cfg file for mods like SS and the only lines they have is for the featured mod, and for io file first. so wat i did was delete everytyhing in the file except for the featured mod, and the error log listing, and added in the io-file first command. i think that might be where the problem is comming from.

but the thing is i need to make this so it will not be as screwed up as it origonally is with the unchangeable video settings and all. (i cant tell potential d/l'ers "just change ur settings in the cfg file", i dont even know how to fully do that!)

DaDump's Avatar Libertus

SOLVED IT

my thread was this one, I posted the solution:
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...g-completition

DaDump's Avatar Libertus

ah, ok, sorry -.-
    the "and for io file first" wasn't as explicit as in my opinion it should be
    but thanks for the answer