Thread: new graphics card help

Default new graphics card help

I have an eMachine T5010. The owner's manual describes the following:
    Video Chipset: Intel Graphics Media Accelerator (GMA) 900.
    Video Bus: PCI
    Video Intergration: Motherboard

Currently my system can't handle MTW2. I assume I need a new grahpics card as the rest seems up to specs. Here are my questions:
    1) Can I add a new card at all? I worry that since the current video is intergrated in my motherboard and won't allow this.
    2) Do I have an AGP or PCI slot?
    3) What low-end to mid-range card should I get?
    4) Should I worry about power supply, overheateing and jamming in a card with a big fan?

Default Re: new graphics card help

Quote Originally Posted by Morat69 View Post
    I have an eMachine T5010. The owner's manual describes the following:
    Video Chipset: Intel Graphics Media Accelerator (GMA) 900.
    Video Bus: PCI
    Video Intergration: Motherboard

Currently my system can't handle MTW2. I assume I need a new grahpics card as the rest seems up to specs. Here are my questions:
    1) Can I add a new card at all? I worry that since the current video is intergrated in my motherboard and won't allow this.
    2) Do I have an AGP or PCI slot?
    3) What low-end to mid-range card should I get?
    4) Should I worry about power supply, overheateing and jamming in a card with a big fan?
    Long answer: Yes but only an external card. These are much slower and the simple fact is PCI is really outdated.
    Short answer: Not really something that can handle battles very well... at all.

You have a PCI slot btw...
    More to the point do you have a PCI/AGP/PCI-E
    AGP is quite outdated... and PCI won't do for graphics cards at all.

@3: Wait until after christmas... Nvidia are launching a new range before christmas... this will mean cheaper prices afterhand. You don't need the new range so you'll probably want either a 7 or 8 series(they are about the same price range... bear in mind 8 can handle DX10 though).

I'd probably get a 8800(Whatever suffice suits price/performance [they are pretty similar performance wise... apart from the ultra] just after christmas... it will handle M2TW very well and will probably be about 200-250 US dollars after christmas (ATI has a new range coming out too... but that won't be out as soon as the Nvidia one... regardless it will push prices down so if it isn't cheap enough by then then wait for their new line). It'll also handle most if not all of the DX10 games at reasonable framerates and with nice settings.

Obviously... this will require a new motherboard but seriously PCI-E has been out since 2004ish... and every motherboard even remotely aimed at gamers (including media PC ones) will have it most likely.
    Last edited by Darkarbiter; October 24, 2007 at 02:43 AM.