Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Scandza: Total War

Default Re: Beowulf: Total War

you could have grendel as a rebel party in the mountains and maybe make him something like a bezerker
    "To die with honor is to live forever" :sparta:

If you include Grendel or anything similar (except as an optional add-on), I'm going to cry. Loud.
    A big THANKS to all Total War modders

Visitor13 came to TWC for the wafers

Just to make sure that there are no misunderstandings: This mod has nothing to do with the Beowulf and Grendel legend, it is a mod that focuses on that specific period when Beowulf lived. The mod will focus on the northern europe in the Vendel/migration period, when the Danes conquered Denmark, the Swedes established a powerful kingdom in Uppland, the Saxons, Angles and Jutes migrated to what was to become England etc.

The focus of the mod is very much on history, and the details (some characters and clans), which are taken from legend, are there to depict the clan feuds and wars that went on in this period.

You can actually say, that the mod focuses on the Beowulf legend in pretty much the same scale as Arthurian TW focuses on Arthur. In ATW, Arthur is just a family member of a faction without Excalibur, Merlin, the Holy Grail and other stuff of legend.

Dansk Viking
    Gesaga him éac wordum, þæt híe sint wilcuman Deniga léodum

Quote Originally Posted by Achilles_Matt View Post
    you could have grendel as a rebel party in the mountains and maybe make him something like a bezerker
    What mountains? The only mountain in Denmark is Himmelbjerget (Bjerg means mountain, Himmelbjerget is about 160m)

This is another bad thing about the movie, they have no knowledge of the geography and nature of Denmark!

DaVinci's Avatar TW Modder 2005-2016
    Patrician Artifex

The plastic poisoned and d(r)ying surface of planet Earth in before Armageddon

This is another bad thing about the movie, they have no knowledge of the geography and nature of Denmark!
    What else is to expect by a Hollywood production
    I see forward to your project, hope it comes out soon
    #Anthropocene #not just Global Warming but Global Disaster, NASA #Deforestation #Plastic Emission #The Blob #Uninhabitable Earth #Savest Place On Earth #AMOC #ICAN #MIT study "Falsehoods Win" #Engineers of Chaos
    #"there can be no doubt about it: the enemy stands on the Right!" 1922, by Joseph Wirth.
    Rightwingers, like in the past the epitome of incompetence, except for evilness where they own the mastership.
    Iirc., already 2013 i spoke of "Renaissance of Fascism", it was accurate.
    #"Humanity is in ‘final exam’ as to whether or not it qualifies for continuance in universe." Buckminster Fuller
    Any chance for this exam? Very low, the established Anthropocentrism destroys the basis of existence.
    #My Modding #The Witcher 3: Lore Friendly Tweaks (LFT)
    #End, A diary of the Third World War (A.-A. Guha, 1983) - now, it started on 24th February 2022.

Quote Originally Posted by DaVinci View Post
    I'm having exams now, so I won't work on it until afterwards.

Jingles's Avatar Praefectus

Quote Originally Posted by DaVinci View Post
    What else is to expect by a Hollywood production
    +1, I will definately be playing this when It's finished.

Hengest's Avatar It's a joke

Let me know if you need any help mate, jag ser fram emot det här!

Halvar von Flake's Avatar Senator

I like the idea...

...here's some artwork by Angus Mc Bride:

http://medieval.ucdavis.edu/130/ANGL..._PICTURES.HTML

Hey, nice idea to make a mod, really, it's my favorite time this migration period, howewer, I would like to ask if it will be possible to include finnish tribes, because there were finnic tribes moving from the volga to the modern-day Finland. Anyway keep up to good work, mods like this make it worth the effort!!

which particular tribe are you interested in?: Tavastians, Finns, Karelians, or?

What I know, the Finnic tribes didn't have much or any influence on their surroundings in this period, or atleast not in the specific area that this mod will encompass. Therefore I don't think it'll make sense to include any finnish faction; rather having the different tribes as rebel groubs, and maybe include one or more finnish unique units.

This is in fact also my view on the Baltic groups at the time.

If you disagree with me or have any suggestions, I would be pleased to hear!

Hereward's Avatar Civis

Dansk Viking, this is a great idea and I look forward to playing it. I get especially eager for it after playing with those awesome Scyldingas in ATW. Really gets me in the mood for this type of mod. I hope all is going well. Can't wait to play it.

Jingles's Avatar Praefectus

I agree with Hereward. I always wanted to make a 1066 mod for Arthurian, but I lack the expertise...

Best of luck with this endevour!

Quote Originally Posted by Dansk viking View Post
    which particular tribe are you interested in?: Tavastians, Finns, Karelians, or?

What I know, the Finnic tribes didn't have much or any influence on their surroundings in this period, or atleast not in the specific area that this mod will encompass. Therefore I don't think it'll make sense to include any finnish faction; rather having the different tribes as rebel groubs, and maybe include one or more finnish unique units.

This is in fact also my view on the Baltic groups at the time.

If you disagree with me or have any suggestions, I would be pleased to hear!
    Thanks for the reply!, alright, I would be pleased just to have some finnish units, like you said, unique, but I still think that peolple like the tavastians or karelians should be included, they were very agressive.
    From that time though, there are many hill-forts in karelia specially. . But as I said, having some units like finnish mercenaries, or something else will be great.

Anyway. If you are adding the finnish, they shouldn't have great armor or even swords, because they tended to import them, great skirmishers I would think or also spearmen....mmmm, but they should be very tough, that's what I think Dansk.

Hey, congrats for the upcoming mod, really!!! See ya!

Thanks for the motivation everyone

I've edited the factions a bit, and added a norwegian faction: The Raumingar

Dansk Viking

DragonsWarrior's Avatar Senator

is their any news on this mod happening

Goblin's Avatar Laetus

*pokes the mod*

Hi, I hope that you haven't abandoned the idea of this totally great mod concept. There hasn't been a lot of updates on progress lately, but in case you are still developing it, I'd be more than glad to help since I'm Estonian and therefore capable of perhaps giving you some useful information concerning the Baltic area.

Quote Originally Posted by Goblin View Post
    *pokes the mod*

Hi, I hope that you haven't abandoned the idea of this totally great mod concept. There hasn't been a lot of updates on progress lately, but in case you are still developing it,
    I must admit, there's has been no progress on the mod lately; mostly due to lots of school work, IRL stuff etc, but a loss of data has also slowed it considerably (I lost a hardrive, I have most of the mod-files though.)

I will continue my work, but not for now - I still have lots of school work and upcomming exams etc.

I'd be more than glad to help since I'm Estonian and therefore capable of perhaps giving you some useful information concerning the Baltic area.
    Any input in that area would be greatly apreciated, so please do! - you can PM me or post anything on this thread

Cheers!
    Dansk viking

Icon1 Re: Beowulf: Total War

hi um sorry i ama bit late jumping in but if u need a beta tester ill help if your doing a rome version. I can also provide historical advice as well regardless if its for rome or not
    Last edited by Beta_Testa999; February 28, 2009 at 06:20 PM.

Thanks for the offer Beta_Testa, but I won't need any beta testers right now. (haven't reached that stage yet)

You might be needed later though