Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Scandza: Total War

Centenarius

Default Re: Scandza: Total War

Interesting development; thank you for the preview I too will try the mod when will be available.
    Temporarily retired from modding.

Thanks guys! Will keep you up to date with any other new features. Right now I'm in the process of balancing and fine tuning the mechanics I previewed, and observing other areas that may need a loving hand. Other than that, I'm actually very happy about where the mod is now. I need to do some more play testing, and make sure everything is working as intended, and then we'll see...

A few things I forgot to mention is 1) that I made all factions able to horde. This makes factions much harder to wipe out, and works as a form of re-emergent faction mechanic; brings in some nice chaos too occasionally - and 2) that I made some drastic changes to unit balance compared with the Arthurian counter parts: namely a lot less HP (regular units down to 1 HP again, while higher tier ones lowered as well). This makes combat a lot more deadly and visceral. I re-balanced the defensive stats to be more weighted towards shield and less towards "defensive skill". This slightly counters the otherwise very deadly missiles now that HP is lower (since defensive skill didn't apply to missiles) but only from the front! The unit facing is now way more important, making flanking better, and all units (including high tier) vulnerable from the back and, for shielded units, from the right (non-shield) side.

Cheers!
    Gesaga him éac wordum, þæt híe sint wilcuman Deniga léodum

Many thanks to Fahnat for making this cinematic teaser for Scandza: Total War!

Last edited by Dansk viking; September 21, 2021 at 07:05 AM.

Now that the Rome Remaster is at our doorstep, I thought it would be an ideal time to release Scandza in its current state before I may have to port it all to the new version of the game, so don't be surprised if there's a Scandza beta release soon!

I can also reveal that the mod will feature music and ambience by the band Krauka, using traditional instruments and Icelandic lyrics, with themes inspired by Scandinavian prehistory and saga literature.

Serapio's Avatar Semisalis

very good news dansk! i can't wait to play the latest version

Cheers!

Here's a look at some of the new unit cards:

Work in progress 2D art for Scandza, made by the illustrious Joar!

Congrats and thank you for having continued to work on this mod for so long. It is, in a way, a "companion" to the Invasio Barbarorum mods' series, giving us the perspective of those nordic lands in Late Antiquity and the Early Middle Ages which are not depicted in the more known sources, but whose memory is of course present in the sagas, chronicles and literary works such as Beowulf, the work of Saxo Grammaticus, the bishops at the time of the penetration of christianity in Scandinavia and others.
    Happy to see it becoming more unique too, with new graphics, units and mechanics. Cheers!

Serapio's Avatar Semisalis

hey dansk,

any news about about your new version?

hrolphi's Avatar Libertus

Default Re: Scandinavia in the migration period.

Hej Dansk viking.
    So impressed with the new ui you released on moddb.
    This mod is the only reason I want to get a new (older) PC.
    I hope you keep it on RTW and not remastered...

Default Re: Scandinavia in the migration period.

Quote Originally Posted by hrolphi View Post
    Hej Dansk viking.
    So impressed with the new ui you released on moddb.
    This mod is the only reason I want to get a new (older) PC.
    I hope you keep it on RTW and not remastered...
    That's the advantage of having an older PC You can run any old game without too many problems.
    I also hope the mod stays for the original and not in Remastered...
    Fall of the Republic & Rise of the Empire: https://www.twcenter.net/forums/show...FRRE-mod-links

Hey, thank you for the support everyone!

The mod is progressing at a relatively fast pace, and we're getting closer and closer to a release.

I initially intended to release a beta version prior to the completion of the new UI, but then it progressed so quickly that I decided to wait. Now we're polishing things to a degree that it's almost a shame to call it a beta. I hope the little following the mod has will enjoy the end result!

Here's a teaser showing the new UI just for you guys:

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Last edited by Dansk viking; June 22, 2021 at 07:09 AM. Reason: spoiler

Aside from the UI, Joar is making some really great art for the mod!

Here are some banner signatures you can use on the forum if you want to support the project:

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Beautiful stuff as always, when I look for mods the most important for me its the immersive aspects, the uniqueness and such. Scandza will definetely provide that. Very interesting setting (I love the Late Antique period) in a lesser-know geographical scope during that time. Its like an "honorary member" of the IB series, so to speak and not to diminish it - quite the contrary! Cheers, Dansk! And good luck for the quarter finals against the Czech Republic.

A recording of a battle during one of my campaigns:

The mod will most likely be released somewhere around mid-October.
    Last edited by Dansk viking; September 16, 2021 at 05:08 AM.

Dansk viking In specific actions you will have the possibility to convert your Kingdom in to Christianity?
    Fall of the Republic & Rise of the Empire: https://www.twcenter.net/forums/show...FRRE-mod-links

No. The religion mechanic has been re-appropriated for the migration unrest system.

See here:
    https://www.moddb.com/mods/scandza-t...tion-mechanics

Excellent work, I'll have to play the mod on my channel when it comes out

Quote Originally Posted by Dansk viking View Post
    A recording of a battle during one of my campaigns:

The mod will most likely be released somewhere around mid-October.
    Very nice

Cheers!

@Cyrus, that'd be cool! Always interesting to see other people playing. I hope you'll like the campaign mechanics.