Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Cvria Ivlia, Consulate of Balbvs/Cato (senate records)

Maxinius Scipio's Avatar Decanus

Default Re: Cvria Ivlia, Consulate of Balbvs/Cato

Quote Originally Posted by Gaivs Gracchvs View Post
    Senator you were clearly not in the senate these last hours...We have had victory in Cannae today,the Consul announced the subjugation of the city some hours ago...
    ooc: Sorry about that, I meant Croton.

8 - Yay, Nay - 1
    Gnaevs Theodosivs Festvs(49), Senator of Rome!
    Praefectus Praetorio Italiae
    Fallaces sunt rerum species. (Appearances are deceptive) - Seneca
    Titles Held: Senatore Romani, Eqves, Paters Familias, Praefectus
    Praetorio Italiae

The Office of The Princeps Senatus Announces

The motion to allow Consul to retrain troops if needed during times of war is closed and considered carried.
    Both Princeps Senatus agree that given the current state of the motion the opposition have been out-voted.

68 Powers's Avatar Campidoctor

Ave Great Senators of Roma,

Seems that everything so far is figured out so this
    Question i ask you. What are you idea for whats next?
    • 1: Shall we go North an Secure our borders against the inevatable Gaul invasion?
    • 2: Or shall we stay back watch what happens while our econemy gets strong and train our fresh legions?
    • 3: Or for the inevitable threat in Sicily? Syracusa or Charthage?

My Opinions on all three of those Topics:

1: Our nothern border is secure but would be impentrable if we scure on a river but seeing as how the people grow tired of war it may not be the best of Descions. Brace yourself for Gaul!

2: This would be our wisest of Decsions giving our war veterans time to settle down and wash out the memories of their freinds dieing and allow our econemy to grow and train the young men who wish to serve in the next war. And the women of Roma need their husbands back haha.

3: Seeing as how us and Charthage are the majior superpowers in our world.
    Charthage will win the war an eventully look for more land for her people luss looking at spain or italy? i for one am not going to take the chance of Charthage setting foot on our Sacred soil so a foothold in Sicily will prove useful. Because two superpowers cannot exsist in our world.

I eargly await your Opinions.

Roma Victor!
    ~Aqulia Decimus Cato

Vote Senator Svlla Consul!, Do Roma some good!
    Last edited by 68 Powers; October 09, 2007 at 03:17 PM.
    Peace on earth - Death to the Enemy!

Ave Senators of Roma,

My opinions:

1: We should move against gaul as soon as posible limiting the time for them to get their tribes togather making it more difficult for Rome to acheive is Destiney.

2: Staying back is not something im fond of but if it is needed i suggest we do so. For we connot support against many threat if our econemy is hurtingCharthage would be able to take us easily.

3: I dont care what any of your Senators say, Charthage is a threat no matter what in every Catagorie of threat they are named in there.
    For there cannot be two Superpowers in our world. Plus Conquering these peoples would remove the biggest threat to our empire and would open the doors to our Econemic, Political and Cultural Domination. I would gladly support war against them..

Optimates Victor!
    ~Brutius Decimus Cato,
    Vote Cato Tribune!
    Vote svlla Consul!

OCC: haha.. im sorry if im not aloud to do that.:hmmm:
    Brutius Decimus Cato, of the Populares Party

Alleanza di Cato!

Maxinius Scipio's Avatar Decanus

• 1: Shall we go North an Secure our borders against the inevatable Gaul invasion?
    • 2: Or shall we stay back watch what happens while our econemy gets strong and train our fresh legions?
    • 3: Or for the inevitable threat in Sicily? Syracusa or Charthage?

1. No, the Gauls there are probably warring amongst each other. They will not invade us, and we need to rest after the wars in Southern Italy.

2. Yes, we should let our veterans return home and see their wives and children. Once Southern Italy is ours, we will not have to worry about any other nation. Carthage and Syracuse are hostile towards each other and Epirus is probably on the defensive; I doubt the Antigonids in Macedonia will sit idle.

3. As I have stated before, Syracuse and Carthage are not countries we need to worry about for the time being. Our legionaries need rest and the love and care of their families.
    Gnaevs Theodosivs Festvs(49), Senator of Rome!
    Praefectus Praetorio Italiae
    Fallaces sunt rerum species. (Appearances are deceptive) - Seneca
    Titles Held: Senatore Romani, Eqves, Paters Familias, Praefectus
    Praetorio Italiae

Libertus

Ave Senators,

1: The North is of no Concern to me they are to busy acting like greeks and fighting amongst themselvs.

2: This is a very important thing to consider but i myself think that it is no needed sicily is where are Attention needs to be where the real war will be at and the Fate of the Entire world and our Republic will be Decided.

3: YES yes yes! We must go there establish a foothold on Sicily so we are not to lose sight of our goal! and for those two nations to not lose sight of their masters and true kings of war and this land.
    Charthage will have to deal with us sooner or later and so will we have to deal with them. There can be no peace between us for we are completely different except for goverment. And taking their lands and riches would prove useful in our future Campaigns.

Optimates Victor!
    ~
    Tiberius Pompetius Maxtenius

Vote Cato Tribune!
    Vote svlla Consul!

sanada's Avatar Decanus

I believe we have already discussed this motion my noble senators,

and we decided on a period of at least 10 years peace, however, if we are discussing what to do after that period, then I would chose option 3, Syracuse.

But such an operation would be delicate and such talk is premature at best.
    Senator Decime, speaking of the Gauls;
    "...they shall be treated as scum. Scum that needs elimination."
    You Are The Senate an interactive AAR

Decius Loreius Ancus - Plebeian Senator and Censor.

Ave Ancus,
    Of course im just trying to get some Debate in the Senate house im getting tired of drinking my wine and listening to nothing but coughs haha.

and would appreciate on your opnions on all options. please and thank you senators.

sanada's Avatar Decanus

Of course Cato.

Pushing North would be a foolish thing to do, not with the Legions we have.
    It would be a bloody war as well, much better to shy away from the fire and turn towards the water.
    Which is why Sicily would be a good option, funding Syracuse would mean they would conquer the Region - however, we could move in, destroy Syracuse and gain the island without losing our trade rights with Carthage, in the mean while gaining such profitable trade centers as Lilybaeum and Syracuse.
    A long period of peace after another one would not be good, a bad peace, as they say, is worse then war.
    Senator Decime, speaking of the Gauls;
    "...they shall be treated as scum. Scum that needs elimination."
    You Are The Senate an interactive AAR

Decius Loreius Ancus - Plebeian Senator and Censor.

Micaelis Horatius Malleolus rises and speaks

Ave, Aqulia Decimus Cato

I do not believe in the Gauls as a great threat at this point. However, if the need and circumstances arises I see no greater dispute inside of myself, regarding a buffer-zone between Gaul and Rome herself. But only if the need arises will I take a stand point.
    I would rather take this approach and let the world be. We have infrastructure, Roman youth and Publica to worry about. This would be aided by peace on all fronts.
    I see no reason as to why we should attack neither of them. I would rather have a mighty ally than a weak ally and I would rather have an ally than an enemy!

Winter's Avatar Civitate

Talking of a war ten years in the future is premature. We have no way of knowing what the geopolitical makeup of the world will be, or if we will be dragged into war by an attack.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Jeb View Post
    Hah, you're always so helpful to threads Winter. No wonder you got citizen!

Ave Senator,

Please Former consul i dont need your "Mature" talks and negtivness as of now. take it somewhere else.

The truth can not always sound nice just to please you, what he says is true, regardless of how it sounds.
    Last edited by EmperorCharles; October 09, 2007 at 04:20 PM.

Lucius Sextus Drusus, Patriciate.

Micaelis Horatius Malleolus rises to defend his friend

And thou shall not say a member of Res Publica and The Senatus is not entitled to speak out his opinion. I also fail to see how you can not find the logic within his words, fore surely what he speaks is the pure and hard truth of the world. We do not know if we will be forced to take up arms. There is simply no way of knowing that.
    And furthermore I do not condone the tone you take when calling him "Former Consul". He slay Pyrrhus and conquered Tarentum, he has received the Hasta Pura for his actions, so if anything, you ought to call him "Honored Ex-Consul".

Hope this will send no ill feelings in your body, my friend and fellow Roman.

Winter's Avatar Civitate

That is unnecessary, senator, I call myself ex-Consul, and other ex Consuls former Consuls.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Jeb View Post
    Hah, you're always so helpful to threads Winter. No wonder you got citizen!

Calvin's Avatar Countdown: 7 months
    Citizen

Senator Libo rises.

My fellow senators, noble men all. As I have stated before, I do not believe assaulting the north of Italy is wise in our current situation. However, my concerns are the same as the noble Cato. Carthage is dominant in the western Mediterranean, not Rome. Were they to establish a total grip on that rich island of Sicily, they would be able to strike at the very heart of our homeland at will. That threat must be countered!

However, I do not believe that a direct confrontation is needed. Were we to ally ourselves with the city of Syracuse, Carthage might think twice about launching a full scale attack upon the island. Facing one Greek city is not too intimidating. Facing a Greek city with a sworn alliance with the sons of Mars is another thing entirely! And in all this, it gives us a chance to rebuild our depleted legions, and increase our military strength.

My final point, noble senators is this. If Rome is to truly become a respected power in this world, then we need a navy! As long as our ports and our trade routes can be choked by pirates or threatened by other nations fleets, Rome remains vulnerable! What say you?
    Developer for Roma Surrectum 2 || Follow my move to the USA in Calvin's Corner
    Son of Noble Savage || Proud patron of [user]Winter[/user], [user]Lord of the Knights[/user] and [user]fergusmck[/user]

Ave Senators,

For those populares that think it is a bad idea for me to get people talkin about future idea may it be 10 years oo 100.. Please shut up... im just trying to make conversation within the senate house i dont need you populares voices trying to ruin it because an optimate started it. if thats the way it will be i might as well just saying everyinthing populares say is retarted and not worth listening to.

Even though it is the truth and i know it.. Please keep it to yourself and ruining the debates about the future...
    and if hes intilted to his own opinion then so am i. I dont care if he won the Hasta Pura a thousand times or if he slays all the tyrants of the world i may call him former consul as would anyone else in this senate house if i was in his postion dont preach to me about what to call people.

I have no intensions in a useless fight against the "Honorable" Populares.. If you wish for one by the gods i will give you one.

Roma Victor!
    Last edited by 68 Powers; October 09, 2007 at 06:16 PM.

(1) Yes. If the Gauls manage to conquer Italy, they will march south with experienced troops and decimate us.

(2) As said before, sitting back allows a Gaulish Empire.

(3) No, Carthage is busy enough with Syracuse and Iberia.

Will post censor report soon.

EDIT:

OK, everything is in order. However, our spy is a Local Hero.
    Last edited by Snoopy; October 09, 2007 at 06:33 PM.
    Everything the State says is a lie, everything it has is stolen.

State is the name of coldest of all the cold monsters. Coldly it lies; and this slips from its mouth: "I, the state, am the people"

Paul d's Avatar Praepositus

Amilius Maenius Masentius adresses his fellow noves optimates:
    senators, excuse me for my absentmindedness, I had not been aware of that resolution. I shall do better to take notice of past events better in the future.

(ooc: speaking fo the epirot attack idea thing, i forgot to read a page or 2.)

1. the gauls are something that should not worry us at the moment, but we must be ever vigilant of gallic migrations into roman lands. Should any one tribe unite the Tribes of Cisalpine Gaul directly north of us, that is when we may have a problem.
    we should build northern border forts to ensurre our peoples safety. (forts and watch towers)

2. This is a good decision, but could prove hazardous. what are we to do if we are attacked? nevertheless, we should improve our infastructure. (build blacksmiths, larger docks, etc.) we could sit back, and let our wounds heal, or we could impede the plans of our uneasy neighbours.

3. perhaps an alliance with syracuse, as many other senators have said, will slow the carthaginian expansion into sicily. but , by doing this, syracuse may suck us into a war with carthage we do not want, nor need at this time.
    Carthage is no immediate threat to us, and atacking them at this time would be too premature, and would be very disasterous.
    Last edited by Paul d; October 09, 2007 at 07:02 PM.

1. Gaul should not be a problem for a few years, however we may wish to establish a fort system and garrison one of the legions there rotating accordingly so that all can be updated with better arms.(via blacksmiths)

2. For all concerned peace would be beneficial. a time to rest, a time to morn, and a time grow. our infrastructure needs it. all the lands newly conquered or otherwise should be brought to a level of econmic and political integration. roads, ports, sewers and all other manor of buildings should be quickly constructed. one city should be designated as a retraining center where our legions could reequip with superior quality weapons(blacksmith ect.)

3. An alliance with Syracuse or at the least trade rights should be granted. Carthage will redoubtably become a rival which is why cultivating such an alliance is necessary. while the concerned that this alliance could drag us into another war is valid, the portability that a peaceful coexistence between ourselfs and Carthage is minimal. we should potently look in the far future about expansion into Spain to prevent them form gaining a monopoly on the lucrative mines, of course this is so far distant that it is hardly worth discussing.

Lucius Sextus Drusus, Patriciate.