Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Am I nuts? MTW is the still the best!

Daminios's Avatar Civis

Default Re: Am I nuts? MTW is the still the best!

MTW-VI clearly rules and guess what ? ... It just got better with the recent release of Ancient TW

edders's Avatar Senator

I love the fact when I get a rebellion, my garrison automatically has to put down the uprising - no magically being thrown out of your city and sitting through a boring siege, no stacks of cretinous brigands fumbling about the corners of the province to be chased down like your army is some kind of pest-removal service - just one straight full-on clash for the fate of your lands.

I loved the fact if a general died he was immediately replaced by a son or follower with similar abilities - leaving me to focus on the royal heirs.

I loved the fact taking over a province didn't mean swatting half-assed stacks of enemy patrols aside as you meandered towards the target settlement.

I loved the fact you could marry your offspring to each other - the need for heirs being much more central than it is in auto-marry Medieval 2 - and face the consequences...

I loved that marriage alliances actually factions a claim to one another's land.

I loved 'loyalty' uprisings - gaining control of a loyalist band in previously held territory.

I loved faction re-emergences.

I loved civil wars - building up an evil empire with a tyrannical king, then switching to the chivalrous underdogs when civil war loomed and reasserting the faction's noble heritage.

Medieval is the best. Shogun had a more exotic and enticing atmosphere, and was perhaps a little more 'focused', though. If they ever made the Medieval/Shogun engine open source, that would be awesome - longer-living characters, bigger armies, perhaps even 3d graphics one day...

Daminios's Avatar Civis

Well said Edders .... *** OPEN SOURCE *** Would bring thousands back to a Deluxe MTW and mods that would be the undisputed king of wargames at least until the engine was opened for RTW & the others that followed to enhance the dopey AI .

Metellus's Avatar Civitate

Wow, from what I've gathered, MTW was certainly better in terms of political play and atmosphere than M2, pity about the dopey graphics though, hey? Don't take it personally though (and I love the politics and diplomacy as much as the next guy) but once I fell in love with M2's graphics I couldn't go back (RTW which I loved is exempt from this argument, I'm speaking about MTW vs M2 only). IMHO they should have made the MTW interface similar to something like Crusader Kings and not bothered with those unit animations back then, since they really don't look good at all.

Under proud patronage of halie satanus and House of Wilpuri
    Perge cornu canere - sclopetum repleo!
    Trans: Keep honking - I'm reloading!

joerd9's Avatar Decanus

What, you mean, like no 3d battlefield at all? Only stat combat? Nah, the gfx were good for their time, although extremely obsolete for todays standards.
    Gotta live with it.

therussian's Avatar Use your imagination

Quote Originally Posted by Metellus View Post
    Wow, from what I've gathered, MTW was certainly better in terms of political play and atmosphere than M2, pity about the dopey graphics though, hey? Don't take it personally though (and I love the politics and diplomacy as much as the next guy) but once I fell in love with M2's graphics I couldn't go back (RTW which I loved is exempt from this argument, I'm speaking about MTW vs M2 only). IMHO they should have made the MTW interface similar to something like Crusader Kings and not bothered with those unit animations back then, since they really don't look good at all.
    To tell you the truth, I could care less about the graphics, as long as the gameplay were as kickass as it is now

And I don't

House of the Caesars | Under the Patronage of Comrade Trance Crusader. Proud Patron of Comrades Shadow_Imperator, Zenith Darksea, Final Frontier and Plutarch | Second Generation| ex-Eagle Standard Editor| Consilium de Civitate | Album Reviews

joerd9's Avatar Decanus

Holy Cow! This is simply beautiful. I played a couple of hours yesterday with the Byz in XL and it's beautiful. One can only admire the terrain usage of the AI. They'll occupy that wooded hill and won't come out to chase worthless skirmishers of yours! As the RTW/M2TW AI surely would have done.

Then the fatimids invaded Syria, where my captain just happened to be a complete moron (valour -3 ). Needless to say my troops routed as soon as they spotted the enemy on the horizon...
    God I love this game.

MTW is the best strategy game I ever played. I loved the entire system.. if they updated the combat enghine to allow balistas to kill more people, and arrows to be more effective, improved Diplomacy just a touch (I want more options ) and updated the graphics to what's apparently acceptable. (I like the old ones just fine) This game would outshine any other in the series.
    To anyone who ever beat "Cloaked_Figure" At MTW:VI, I want a rematch!

This one is my favorite as well...

I just started playing Medieval 1 again with the XL mod, and have been shocked that the AI can actually BEAT me in roughly equal battles. The first one had me just staring in awe as the AI opponent actually countered my moves, flanked with its cavalry, kept its archers back and firing away at my troops, while moving up and attacking with infantry of its own in a somewhat cohesive line which it remained in- This is above and beyond anything the RTW or M2 AI can possibly do, as I'm used to routinely crushing AI armies 3x the size of my own in both games- Now I remember why I loved this game so much, and played it well after Rome came out, and I prefer Ancient era (Classical Greece-early Roman Empire especially) to Medieval any day.

I do love the Europa Barbarorum mod for Rome like I've never loved a mod before, as it finally made Rome worth playing and is loaded with atmosphere beyond even what Medieval 1 was, but the battle AI is still just dumb as a brick. It seems to me like the AI has actually been downgraded with each game after Medieval, Rome's being awful and Medieval 2's being at least as bad, not to mention that the AI has always been too dumb to use the 3D strategy map introduced in Rome effectively in any way.

yeah, ur definetly old school. but i respect that

Metellus's Avatar Civitate

Quote Originally Posted by mlc82
    This is above and beyond anything the RTW or M2 AI can possibly do, as I'm used to routinely crushing AI armies 3x the size of my own in both games
    Well I'm not that good that I can routinely crush armies 3x my size, but yeah the M2 AI is rather lacking in that I can easily beat an army the same size as me. Anyways maybe Empire will up the AI skill <hopes>

Under proud patronage of halie satanus and House of Wilpuri
    Perge cornu canere - sclopetum repleo!
    Trans: Keep honking - I'm reloading!

Quote Originally Posted by Metellus View Post
    Well I'm not that good that I can routinely crush armies 3x my size, but yeah the M2 AI is rather lacking in that I can easily beat an army the same size as me. Anyways maybe Empire will up the AI skill <hopes>
    It generally just recruits a horde of skirmishers (in Rome's case, M2 it's more militia hordes), then marches them straight in an attack to your center with no mind of keeping a formation and its general suicide charging in first. Just about every battle comes down to "Put spear wall in center line in deep formation, set to guard mode, keep swordsmen in reserve to fill gaps or protect close flanks, wait til AI is engaged, then charge cavalry behind them and easily rout them since their general is dead".

I love the Europa Babarorum mod for Rome, and with the "Darth AI Formations" tweak added it can finally put up a fight because it stays together, maintains formation on the advance, and will flank you along with attacking evenly up the middle, but I still can rarely lose a battle unless the numbers are really skewed against me, mainly due to the AI's total inability to manage "fatigue" in battle (and playing without it just feels silly). I try to keep my armies somewhat historically correct, if playing as Rome then a single legion= 2 hastati, 2 principes, 1 triarii, a few reserve spearmen/auxiliary infantry and mercenary cavalry, not just spamming my armies with elite units The problem is that the AI itself is hardcoded to act stupidly to a point which even the best modders can't seem to fully fix.

I have a BAD feeling about Empires, they're already stressing "3D Naval Combat" which I'd bet is going to be as gimmicky as the "Conquer the New World!" aspect of Medieval 2. I don't think this bodes well for land battle AI improving, which they've been claiming was going to happen since before Rome came out, and which has apparently become less and less capable after Medieval 1. I'm really not all that interested in the period represented anyway, and after the sore disappointment that Medieval 2 was, probably won't be buying Empires unless Europa Barbarorum 3 comes out for it after it hits the bargain bins. I miss the old days of computer games

MTW will always be my favorite game. Its battles and campaign were very deatiled and the ai is much smarter then in any rts I have ever played. I have so many memorable moments playing mtw; fighting last stands, watching my camels get butchered by an enemy king, battling elite Swiss pikemen, decimating enemy soldiers as they attempted to cross a brigde, witnessing constant revolts finally bring down many huge empires, ect. MTW only lacked in a few areas which can and have been improved with modding. However, mtw is the only tw game I can ever play without modding. The huge amounts of features make mtw itself feel like a mod.

I agree MTW is the best (at least far MTW and later - I haven't played Shogun).

Quote Originally Posted by Icefrisco View Post
    MTW will always be my favorite game. Its battles and campaign were very deatiled and the ai is much smarter then in any rts I have ever played. I have so many memorable moments playing mtw; fighting last stands, watching my camels get butchered by an enemy king, battling elite Swiss pikemen, decimating enemy soldiers as they attempted to cross a brigde, witnessing constant revolts finally bring down many huge empires, ect. MTW only lacked in a few areas which can and have been improved with modding. However, mtw is the only tw game I can ever play without modding. The huge amounts of features make mtw itself feel like a mod.

The first time I've ever tried a mod for MTW was the XL mod about a week ago- in the 5 years or so that I played the game like an addict, it was just the basic MTW game (no add on) out of the box with whatever the latest patch was. Funny when you consider that with both Rome and Medieval 2, the "basic out of the box games" were uninstalled shortly after I got them, Rome finally being reinstalled for good for the amazing Europa Barbaroum mod which I love, and M2 is still collecting dust on the shelf for now. I'll probably try it out again when Broken Crescent comes out- I liked both "The Long Road" and the "Deus lo Vult" mods, but neither one got along with my computer for some reason.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12