Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Ultimate AI - Feedback and Discussion *UPDATE 1.6*

GrandViZ's Avatar Domesticus

Default Re: Ultimate AI - Feedback and Discussion *UPDATE 1.6*

All lines starting with a semicolon ";" are comments, that document the code, but have no function.

I think changes to the campaign script might require a new campaign, I am not sure though.
    Creator of the Ultimate AI
    Co-Author of Broken Crescent

Under the Patronage of Trajan

Hi GranViz!

Can I try your CAI and BAI 1.6 on SS 5.0, is it compatible since SS 5.0 is using kingdom.exe. for its mod

thanks

First I would like to say thanks for taking the time to make such a great mod.

Second I would like to report two things, one I think is a bug and the other seems to be dumb AI.

I am playing as the English, unfortunately I can't remember the difficulty level I am playing at, sorry, and the French keep sieging me at Caen and Rennes. The fact that they are sieging me is not a problem but the amount of men that they are bringing to the fight is. I have a garrison of some 1200 troops at Caen and twice now the French have attacked me with somewhere between 400-600 troops. These are not elite troops either, I am only about 30 turns in, but Armored Sergeants, Peasant Crossbows and Mounted Sergeants. That is the dumb AI, why won't the French wait until they have at least an equal amount of troops to attack? The bug occurs during the siege.

When the French attempt to take my walls they attack with a ram, a ladder and a siege tower. They attack with all three at the same time and so far, this has happened twice, I burn the ram up and beat them back from the walls with my Levy Spearmen. This is where what I believe to be a bug occurs. If there are any troops left or the routed troops regroup they will walk, not run, back to the ladders and the siege tower, "pick" them up and walk back to their starting, deployment positions. However they do not walk fast it is almost like they are walking in sand because their feet seem to slide along the ground and they inch along at an extremely slow pace. Once they get there they just stand around and suffer the abuse from my castle arrows. If I zoom in and look at them they also are doing a lot of yelling that I can't understand. It is a constant din like "hah-hah-hah-hah" over and over again. At this point I usually sally forth and see them off. Another weird thing that occurs is that the cavalry that they bring along never moves, it just changes its formation from time to time and even when bring out my Levy Spearmen to chase the foe from the field they just stand around.

Don't know if this will help but I figure anything could help refine this most excellent mod.

Thanks

@messenger
    The AI pack should be 100% compatible if you make the changes, described in the installation.txt (contained in the zip-file).

@idick
    First situation you describe happens occasionally, but should be an exception, if you observe the general AI behavior. I have no direct control over the size of the invasion force that the AI uses. However, I will investigate if this can be improved without hurting the overall AI performance (making it too passive).

Second situation occurs, when units get stuck in walls or gates etc. This again is a vanilla issue.

Third, UAI uses an era based recruitment system. High and late era units are not available early in the game!

Is it possible to increase priority for the AI to attack missile units? The AI seems to attack them only if there are no cav or infantry left or if they have been routed. Allowing me to mow them down or weaken them while they are busy chasing/fighting my other units.

Also, is there a way to make the AI use ladder and towers more efficiently?
    By this i mean instead of just one unit using them, once they are in place have maybe 2 or 3 unit use them. Right now the AI seems to keep the other units back and wait for the gates to be brought down before attacking when they can spread out across the ladders and towers + some waiting at the gates. Maybe this is inherent in the AI engine and nothing can be done.

I've been a lurker for a while now but decided to finally register so I could say how much I appreciate your work and how much better M2TW has become with your mod! Thanks!

Now for some feedback, I'm only a few turns into the game, playing th english, but here's what I've got so far:

1) The speed of the game/building time is perfect, I can finally develop the cities and field some armies without having to regret not waiting a little while longer for a more advance unit (ad nauseum).

2) Alliances hold very well, and catholic nations seem to be forming a superblock with some exceptions (france, scotland, denmark, HRE and Poland are the only ones isolated). However france atacked me about 5/6 turns ago and nobody has come to my aid (I'm alllied with portugal, spain, milan, sicily and denmark, all with very good relations except denmark with so-so). I even offered money and map info to milan with a 5 heart princess but I got turned down. I'm hoping that it's because france hasn't been excomungated yet... thats another problem.. eh eh I'm above average with the pope yet france still has 4 crosses, I guess I'll wait a couple of more turns

3) Finally I've noticed that france is trying to take caen and rennes with (up until now) very weak armies (superior in number and quality to the my garrisoned ones but weak compared to the army I have roaming around those to cities protecting the land. In the first siege I considered the fact that maybe the AI didn't knew I had an army near but imediately after I completely destroyed the french army trying to take rennes france attacked caen with an even smaller one than the one the used on rennes.

Maybe I'm being to demanding lol after all the game has its limits (AI-wise)

Anyway this mod brought me back to medieval, Kudos! GrandViz.

I noticed in the beginning things are a bit slow from allies and the armies look small but as you progress and the AI builds up the armies are bigger. Allies will attack you enemies but they don't seem to "assist" you in anyway. I think this is a limitation in the AI engine and not the mod. Overall the AI is very active and once you get into an all out war, it can get ugly.

If assistance from allies means, that they will attack common enemies together with an allied army, then I have to dissapoint you. The AI engine offers no means to achieve such a behavior - this is hardcoded!

uk_john's Avatar Ordinarius

Grandviz. I had a HRE (Allied) army that was nearby when I (as England) attacked a Milanese army (HRE enemy) and on the battle map it joined in and helped. It did not 'jump forward' with my army on the battle win (ie on the main map when the enemy army icon moves back a few places on the map), meaning on my next 'finishing' attack on the enemy it was just my army because the HRE army was now further away. On the next turn the HRE army moved away.

Quote Originally Posted by GrandViZ View Post
    If assistance from allies means, that they will attack common enemies together with an allied army, then I have to dissapoint you. The AI engine offers no means to achieve such a behavior - this is hardcoded!
    By assistance I meant to say "declaring war against my enemies", not even my diplomat was able to get allied factions (with very good relations) to declare war on my enemy (in this case france). Now I have to admit I didn't offer much in compensation (though I did offer some money and map info, but was immediately denied) for a declaration of war and as I said France hasn't been excomungated yet so I'm going to give it a few more turns. In short consider this:

Situation: England and Portugal are allies with very good relations. France attacks England.
    Question1: Is Portugal more inclined/receptive to go to war with France? (either by their own or by request from an english diplomat).
    Question2: Do factors like being excomungated and/or allied with other nations, military power etc come into play when deciding if faction A should go to war against faction B?

@Blackspawn

I've poked my nose around those files often of to confidently say, yes, all those things play a part. As far as I can tell you can only change how the AI prioritizes, and peering through the else/if I'd say all those things factor in to the AI's decision making. Whether or not the faction is local (the player), papal relation, excommunication, relation, number of provinces, strength of military, strength of military on bordering front, of those things I'm certain. Other conditions could be number of enemies the target has, or how many it has, faction's religion, whether or not it's a 'shadow faction' (the starting rival? IE. Venice & Byzantium.)

It would be my guess that Portugal hasn't declared war on France because he's busy with the Moors, and the measure of the Moor threat might be greater than he's willing to risk for another war. (Perhaps if the Moors have plenty of alliances of their own, increasing the threat. Your own, and your allies, military strength is considered to increase when an alliance is formed. As is displayed on the diplomacy screen when you first make it.)

Thanks for the answer Smarmy, I guess that makes sense then (if you enter with all those factors then it's a reasonable smart decision for portugal and all my other allies letting me handle the french lol)

will there be an update that would make the rebels a little bit more aggressive as well as the AI factions?

GrandViz
    I have been playing you files in SS 4.2+RC 1.3b, H/VH as Moors 1308
    Religion: Catholics /Orthodoxs will not form alliances with me ,will do trade agreements. Have alliance with Eygpt, but cannnot get one with Turks or Mongols. As the islamic factions are outnumbered, I would suggest making things a little easier for them to ally.
    Settlements/Maps: No one want to sell me these
    Ceasefires: Option not available, but I am not trustworthy as assassinate a lot of priests
    Crusades: Two of these, both against me. First was against Corboda which would of ended the campaign early if not for having Toleado
    Fortifications: Cities not fortiefied enough, with troops being positioned on the borders instead. This has lead to rebelling cities and the fall of Kiev-Rus.
    Naval Invasions: Not suffered any, which leads me to suspect an issue as Sicily at least should of used these.:hmmm:
    Battles: Some issue with units standing around and being shot at, but good unit composition.
    Seiges: Starve or Autocalc when superior, so only had one, but good behaviour in that.

Early leaders Byzantium, now its a three way between France, Milan (owns most of Byzantium) and Moors. Good use of Jihads should see these of though as Mongols appeared in Russia and have 'migrated' to Hungry/Poland.

To err is human, but to really foul things up you need a computer.
    Paul Ehrlich

Any plans for another update?

What I don't like in MTW2 is that you could sit in your Castles and Cities and be attacked by Neutral countries and still have their allies getting madder at you, the pope getting madder at you and everyone who likes that nation that attacked you and likes the Pope now don't like you, and on and on and on. France refuses to have a ceasefire even though I have not attacked him for 9 turns, an yet, as France creates alliances so I hear how I am disliked more by this faction and that faction. Then I find myself attacked by a Milan or some other smaller nation out of the blue which creates another cascade of 'don't like you's' It is so frustrating especially when the Papal States get annoyed and you have been the most peaceful nation in Europe, just having to defend yourself when attacked! There should definitely be some recognition of who's the defender and who's the attacker, because I am thinking of going back to vanilla MTW2 to see if this is corrected that way!

That'd be worse, John. And the only way to deal with what you describe is get MANY allies of your own.. I experienced the same thing and made some political blunders.
    I chose to stick it out with my main-man HRE, pope hated us both, and a bloc of allies built up against us. Had to save HRE from going under, now I've set him loose on Europe as a monster, having taken provinces back for him. Thing is, I'm safe now behind my beast, with Spain looking inviting, he's allied with that bloc anyway... sorta wish I'd gotten more friends though.

Still looking good, anyway. Not every faction hates me. A full stack of bronze/silver/gold chevron elites from the France->Milan war, take the 4 provinces in England I left behind from Scotland, then maybe take over Iberia to keep pace with my 'pet'. Only bad point I've had in the campaign so far is the endless hordes that Milan sent after me every other turn, thinkin' of editing out that money script.. or atleast toning it down.

But, in defense of the campaign AI, It's nice to be held accountable for my actions. The bloc against us is understandable, The Normans and the Empire, two behemoths expanding without fear of the other. Nice to have the bankroll of two countries, and only have to worry about one theater of war. And such is why I understand the 'fear' of the two monsters who've agreed to devour Europe together.
    Last edited by Smarmy; October 25, 2007 at 11:49 PM.

Hey, just wanted to report that I tried to remove your grow rate tax and play, but then part of your mod seemed missing.

Finally, I restored the original and just started a game on med campaign and hard battle. Things are much more reasonable now. I think the vanilla VH campaign AI money increase was just too much when coupled with your additional boost and the player tax.

Anyway, I think playing as Denmark also made it especially hard since they are surrounded by potential enemies the second they decide to expand.

The only complaint I have is the idle AI when they are defending. They just stand around and do nothing... absolutely nothing. I once pummeled an AI army with ballistas for 10 minutes without them even moving. When I re-positioned to get a better angle, I ran into a group of hiding spearmen. They just stood there and took point blank ballista hits. When they routed, they recovered and just returned to their ambush point to get wiped out. I know other mods have corrected this so maybe you could tweak that.

I discovered one annoying glitch.

It's "endless" war syndrom. If the war is started and player does something what lowers his relations with that faction (few won battles, conquer a city), the war is since then "stuck".

No matter what you do (even if you release prisoners or occupied the conquered city), you simply won't get ceasefire. I had reputation at trustworthy and AI did not want to accept ceasefire even when I offered a lot of money.

Anyways, first example was Venice (I captured Venice in the war). Since then they were under constant pressure of other factions and I didn't attack. Only they sent sometimes army to my lands and I defeated it. They had two provinces (Ragusa and Iraklion), were in war with 5 factions and yet didn't ceasefire with anyone. After 40 years of this "war" I helped Sicily and they were destroyed.

Second example is Egypt. I captured Acre, Jerusalem and Gaza on the crusade. Destroyed thousands of Egyptians (and released prisoners). And the situation was the same. They didn't accept peace no matter what. They were defeated many times and I wasn't hostile since successful crusade. Yet the war is still ongoing...

Strange is also, that their priority was always peace, they were bankrupt and didn't win single battle. They acted suicidaly, because they also got in war with other factions and yet never stopped single war (not even between AI factions).

So there is certainly something wrong, which prevents AI to end wars/accept pece (apart from being destroyed).

Resurrection - what you're getting seems to be a subset of what I am getting! (See my post above!)