Thread: They always send archers first...

paradamed's Avatar Praepositus

Icon5 They always send archers first...

I installed Sinuhets ai mod and in my battles the ai will always send archers first and the rest of the army wont do nothing untill the archers are dead or routed. Is this expected? I installed in my Stainless Steel mod and maybe there is some kind of interaction between both , dunno. I used Sinuhets ai in Rome TW and it was the best AI I have experienced but for medieval there is this strange behaviour. Is it expected to happen this way, archers attack alone, or not?

Turbo's Avatar Civitate

Default Re: They always send archers first...

Quote Originally Posted by paradamed View Post
    I installed Sinuhets ai mod and in my battles the ai will always send archers first and the rest of the army wont do nothing untill the archers are dead or routed. Is this expected? I installed in my Stainless Steel mod and maybe there is some kind of interaction between both , dunno. I used Sinuhets ai in Rome TW and it was the best AI I have experienced but for medieval there is this strange behaviour. Is it expected to happen this way, archers attack alone, or not?
    I believe this mod you use was developed for the original unpatched MTW2 and was abandoned by Sinuhet
    Work of God

loet66's Avatar Senator

Hi,

I don't think this mod has been "abandoned" by Sinuhet : his Sinuhet's Battle Mechanics v4.0 looks promising !

It's true : Sinuhet's AI was the reference in Rome Total War and represented the "good side of the force" (Darth was the "dark side", of course !).

Medieval II is really different than RTW, more "complicated" : It's not quite simple to create a consistent behaviour for "this" strange AI ("It's hardcoded" repeat Lusted far too often).

Several modders have developped their owner AI because of it.

So, what is the place of Sinuhet now ?

The answer is not so easy...

Loet66
    Last edited by loet66; November 08, 2007 at 10:26 AM. Reason: some corrections

loet66's Avatar Senator

Hi Sinuhet,

Maybe my previous post was not very clear : it was my "pensée du soir" (litterally I was "lost in thought").

I only wanted to say that I hope you will continue to develop Mitteleuropa and I regret that the community talk less about your work and especially your Battles Mechanics.

Thanks for your comprehension.

Loet66
    Last edited by loet66; November 24, 2007 at 07:21 PM.

Sinuhet's Avatar Preparing for death

Hi!

Thanks, mates for the feed-back on the version of my AI formations. The archers send forward during attack is a "bug" in v. 4.0 of my formations, it is not dependent on the combo with SS. The version 4.0 was not fully optimised, unfortunatelly I had to stop any work on the formations for several months due to real-life issues. I have tried to fix some problems of the version 4.0 this weekend and I have also added two new faction-specific historical formations for attack (Byzantine and Crescent formation, for ERE and muslim factions, respectively). I am going to relase this as a version 5.0 of my mod. Nevertheless, it is only a product developed under time pressure, and I dont grant some other undesired behavour or eventual instability .... In every case, you can try them and enjoy the game with them eventually. I have several challenging battles with them, they ahve some value ....

Bye S.
    My TW games "Battle Formations" projects:
    Sinuhet's ETW Formations v2.0 – for ETW
    Sinuhet's Battle Mechanics v5.0 – for MTW2
    Sinuhet's Battle Mechanics v3.0 – for MTW2
    Sinuhet's AI Battle Formations v7.0 – for RTW 1.5

In Patrocinivm Svb HorseArcher

Keep in mind that factions that don't place a whole lot of stock in archers/ crossbowmen probably would send them on to their possible obliteration. I mean who cares? They tear it up for all their worth but ultimately succumb to superior enemy troops and rout, having a struck a blow.
    Now if they move their heavy infantry forward and and allow them to be decimated that's a different story.
    Try not to read too much into the goings on of the AI, there are oh so many reasons the AI does not present a threat this way or that. Not every General you come across is going to be a Napoleon et al.

paradamed's Avatar Praepositus

Ty for the feedback sinuhet. If you release a 5.0 version I will surely try it cause as I said, in rtw your formations and ai mod was the best.

yeah this AI will always be stupid