Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: DarthMod: The Last Episode__General Feedback

Tiberiu_R's Avatar Ordinarius

Default Re: DarthMod: The Last Episode__technical/bug/installation issues

Quote Originally Posted by Sextus Loverlord View Post
    angry_hussar, sometimes even the vanilla AI does this. That's all I know about the issue.

A graphical glitch I found was that my Normal mercenaries appear skinless (pure white) on the battlefield.
    Do they have any armor upgrades?
    If the answer is yes then it means that there are no models for the unit with armor upgrades..
    If you want you could remove the armor_upgrade(s) from the unit for that specific unit.

Darth Team Member(click my sig )
    Darth_Battle_AI for Kingdoms( GET IT NOW! )

Default Re: DarthMod: The Last Episode__General Feedback

Thanks for a great mod, guys!

You're obviously true master-modders, and I think you've done a great job here, I especially like the fact that mêlées last for more than the 15 odd seconds, and the work you've done with more turns and more expensive buildings that take longer to build.

The thing is, though, that medium to heavy cavalry are as good as unstoppable in your mod, especially the general's bodyguards. It's absolutely correct that a unit of late medieval knights would be able to punch clean through a unit of spear militia with only minor casualties, but the thing is, in the latest darth mod you can do the same with a unit of Byzantine Lancers, and not only through a unit of spear militia, but through a unit of spear militia AND e. g. the unit of byzantine infantry behind it (I actually did this against some rebels, and almost had it done to me in return, only I managed to bog him down with my own cavalry ) . Cavalry in the real world are incredibly powerful, especially late medieval knights, but they are not practically immortal when faced by double or triple their number of well prepared, seasoned spearmen (For instance Armoured Sergeants); I mean, you can even surround them totally, and still they can get out of the mêlée relatively unhurt.

I believe you might have realised this, and therefore given all peasants the sharpened stakes. This is a thing I strongly support, I mean England didn't have a fraggin' monopoly on using sharpened wooden stakes on the battlefield! This makes a field defence more realistic, and also much more fun! It's just so satisfying to see off wave after wave of attackers with your heavy infantry standing behind the stakes, covering your flanks and rear with spear infantry and cavalry, all the while peppering him with archer fire, awesome!

Thanks again for a great mod, just voicing my opinion, but it just makes all battles including semi-heavy cavalry slightly imba, and that makes all the difference to me.
    Last edited by The_Freestyler; November 19, 2007 at 07:26 PM. Reason: Typo

When i start the normal campaign everything works, but when i try the custom campaign there is no sound at all, what can i do to fix this ? Oh and i just had a siege battle and won it. The screen comes up for exterminating etc, and the game freezes. I dont have this allt he time but its quit annoying is it fixable or is it just part of the mod ?

Thx in advance.

Rory

xeryx's Avatar Follow the White Rabbit

You should reinstall, and verify the directions..that is not anything I have heard of.
    Proudly patronized by B. Ward Click Sig Logo for Downloads, Click forums here and here
    "Do not try and bend the spoon, that is impossible, instead only try and realize the truth.
    There is no spoon, and you will see, it is not the spoon that bends, only yourself."-The Matrix

Methoz's Avatar Senator
    Bohemia (Czech: Čechy; German: Böhmen) (CZE)

any thing(s) for kingdoms??
    TotalWarForum.cz
    Česko-Slovenské fórum o hrách ze série Total War

Installed 1.4D last night but when I tried to play it I got an unspecieifed error. Re-installed and deleted map.rwm file but still the same problem. I also have DLV 5.1 in my MTW2 folder but I figured that wouldn`t effect the Darth mod as they go into separate folders and I had no trouble using Stainless Steel with DLV in the same folder previously. Any suggestions?

What is your Darthmod installation Directory? needs to be a sub directory of the Med 2 directory. Can you post you log file?
    Proudly patronized by B. Ward Click Sig Logo for Downloads, Click forums here and here
    "Do not try and bend the spoon, that is impossible, instead only try and realize the truth.
    There is no spoon, and you will see, it is not the spoon that bends, only yourself."-The Matrix

Thanks for the reply xeryx. Now I get the chance to show off my ignorance. As for the installation directory I just allowed the installer to do it automatically and it put the darthmod folder in the sega/med2 folder. Just before I wrote this I also tried manually placing the darthmod folder in the mods directory but it still didn`t work. I`d post my log file but I don`t know what that is...
    It just occurred to me that I have signifer one`s animations pack installed for my DLV and SS mods. Could that be the cause?
    Last edited by Servius Tullius; January 09, 2008 at 09:19 AM.

Servius Tullius: Signifier's mods won't matter. Is your Medieval 2 installation default? If I remember correctly, the installer that Tiberiu_r used automatically detects the med2 directory. Darthmod will be listed as a sub directory of the main medieval 2 directory if it is installed correctly. It does not belong in the mod directory, and will not work if it is.

All of the other mods you have installed work, correct?

Yes, all of the other mods I`ve installed work. The darthmod folder automatically went to program files/sega/M2TW upon installation. It loads up for a few seconds with a picture of DarthVader knocking down some soldiers and then the unspecified error occurs. Would it still work if I put it in a folder other than that of M2TW? Or does it need to be in the same one? I suspect it must have something to do with the other mods but they both work fine.

can you make sure that medieval 2.exe is working, by running vanilla medieval. The other mods you are using use the Kingdoms.exe. There is also a file in the med2 directory called system.log text file. If you post a copy of it here, it may help.

have you unpacked any of your files, and have you installed the retrofit mod?

Hi Xeryx, Thanks for your help thusfar.
    I tried to run vanilla but encountered the same error.
    Here`s my system log after trying to run darthmod...
    02:33:34.437 [system.rpt] [always] CPU: SSE2
    02:33:34.437 [system.rpt] [always] ==== system log start, build date: Jun 25 2007 version bld-medieval2-update2.1-30 (43169) ===
    02:33:34.437 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_0.pack
    02:33:34.453 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_1.pack
    02:33:34.453 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_2.pack
    02:33:34.578 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_3.pack
    02:33:34.578 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_4.pack
    02:33:34.578 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/localized.pack
    02:33:34.593 [system.io] [warning] open: DarthMod/data/text/menu_english.txt.strings.bin is missing
    02:33:34.593 [system.io] [warning] open: DarthMod/data/text/menu_english.txt is missing
    02:33:34.609 [system.io] [warning] open: DarthMod/data/text/diplomacy.txt.strings.bin is missing
    02:33:34.609 [system.io] [warning] open: DarthMod/data/text/diplomacy.txt is missing
    02:33:34.609 [system.io] [warning] open: DarthMod/data/text/diplomacy_speech.txt.strings.bin is missing
    02:33:34.609 [system.io] [warning] open: DarthMod/data/text/diplomacy_speech.txt is missing
    02:33:34.609 [system.io] [warning] open: DarthMod/data/text/missions.txt.strings.bin is missing
    02:33:34.609 [system.io] [warning] open: DarthMod/data/text/missions.txt is missing
    02:33:34.625 [system.io] [warning] open: DarthMod/data/text/shortcut.txt.strings.bin is missing
    02:33:34.625 [system.io] [warning] open: DarthMod/data/text/shortcut.txt is missing
    02:33:34.640 [system.io] [warning] open: DarthMod/preferences/keys.dat is missing
    02:33:34.640 [system.io] [warning] open: DarthMod/preferences/keys.dat is missing
    02:33:36.515 [data.missing] [warning] missing/invalid cursor for ANISELECT
    02:33:36.531 [data.missing] [warning] missing/invalid cursor for MODIFIER_SABOTAGE
    02:33:36.531 [data.missing] [warning] missing/invalid cursor for MODIFIER_TRADE
    02:33:36.546 [data.missing] [warning] missing/invalid cursor for DRAGGABLE
    02:33:36.546 [data.missing] [warning] missing/invalid cursor for DRAGGING
    02:33:36.546 [data.missing] [warning] missing/invalid cursor for MODIFIER_MULTIPLE_SELECT
    02:33:36.546 [data.missing] [warning] missing/invalid cursor for MODIFIER_ATTACK
    02:33:36.546 [data.missing] [warning] missing/invalid cursor for MODIFIER_PLACE_CHARACTER
    02:33:36.546 [data.missing] [warning] missing/invalid cursor for MODIFIER_PLACE_RESOURCE
    02:33:36.546 [data.missing] [warning] missing/invalid cursor for MODIFIER_PLACE_FORT
    02:33:36.546 [data.missing] [warning] missing/invalid cursor for MODIFIER_MOVE_OBJECT
    02:33:36.546 [data.missing] [warning] missing/invalid cursor for MODIFIER_PLACE_WATCHTOWER
    02:33:36.546 [data.missing] [warning] missing/invalid cursor for MODIFIER_DEPLOYMENT_AREA
    02:33:36.546 [data.missing] [warning] missing/invalid cursor for MODIFIER_PLACE_TILE
    02:33:36.546 [data.missing] [warning] missing/invalid cursor for MODIFIER_PLACE_SPECIAL_PIECE
    02:33:36.546 [data.missing] [warning] missing/invalid cursor for MODIFIER_PAINT
    02:33:36.546 [data.missing] [warning] missing/invalid cursor for MODIFIER_ADJUST_HEIGHTS
    02:33:36.546 [data.missing] [warning] missing/invalid cursor for MODIFIER_ADD_UNIT
    02:33:36.546 [data.missing] [warning] missing/invalid cursor for MODIFIER_PLACE_SETTLEMENT
    02:33:37.531 [system.io] [warning] open: DarthMod/data/text/religions.txt.strings.bin is missing
    02:33:37.531 [system.io] [warning] open: DarthMod/data/text/religions.txt is missing
    02:33:37.531 [system.io] [warning] open: DarthMod/data/text/climates.txt.strings.bin is missing
    02:33:37.531 [system.io] [warning] open: DarthMod/data/text/climates.txt is missing
    02:33:37.718 [script.err] [error] Script Error in DarthMod/data/descr_projectile.txt, at line 52, column 14
    Unknown delay ammo type [arrow3]
    02:33:37.718 [script.err] [error] Script Error in DarthMod/data/descr_projectile.txt, at line 53, column 14
    Unknown delay ammo type [arrow2]
    02:33:37.718 [script.err] [error] Script Error in DarthMod/data/descr_projectile.txt, at line 54, column 14
    Unknown delay ammo type [pesarrow]
    02:33:37.718 [script.err] [error] Script Error in DarthMod/data/descr_projectile.txt, at line 55, column 14
    Unknown delay ammo type [arrowhorse]
    02:33:37.718 [script.err] [error] Script Error in DarthMod/data/descr_projectile.txt, at line 56, column 14
    Unknown delay ammo type [arrow3horse]
    02:33:37.718 [script.err] [error] Script Error in DarthMod/data/descr_projectile.txt, at line 57, column 14
    Unknown delay ammo type [crossbow_bolt2]
    02:33:37.718 [script.err] [error] Script Error in DarthMod/data/descr_projectile.txt, at line 58, column 14
    Unknown delay ammo type [crossbow_bolt]
    02:33:37.718 [script.err] [error] Script Error in DarthMod/data/descr_projectile.txt, at line 59, column 14
    Unknown delay ammo type [steel_crossbow_bolt]
    02:33:37.718 [script.err] [error] Script Error in DarthMod/data/descr_projectile.txt, at line 60, column 14
    Unknown delay ammo type [hand_gun_bullet]
    02:33:37.718 [script.err] [error] Script Error in DarthMod/data/descr_projectile.txt, at line 61, column 14
    Unknown delay ammo type [arquebus_bullet]
    02:33:37.718 [script.err] [error] Script Error in DarthMod/data/descr_projectile.txt, at line 62, column 14
    Unknown delay ammo type [musket_bullet]
    02:33:37.718 [script.err] [error] Script Error in DarthMod/data/descr_projectile.txt, at line 63, column 14
    Unknown delay ammo type [elephant_cannon_shot]
    02:33:37.765 [system.io] [warning] open: DarthMod/data/text/event_titles.txt.strings.bin is missing
    02:33:37.781 [system.io] [warning] open: DarthMod/data/text/event_titles.txt is missing
    02:33:37.796 [system.io] [warning] open: DarthMod/data/text/event_strings.txt.strings.bin is missing
    02:33:37.953 [system.io] [warning] open: DarthMod/data/text/event_strings.txt is missing
    02:33:38.203 [system.io] [warning] open: data/animations/test_weapon/sword_1_primary_0.CAS is missing
    02:33:38.203 [script.err] [error] Script Error in data/descr_skeleton.txt, at line 61, column 115
    AnimDB: Could not load - 'data/animations/test_weapon/sword_1_primary_0.CAS'
    02:33:38.203 [data.invalid] [fatal] Animation database failed to load!
    02:33:38.984 [system.rpt] [error] Medieval 2: Total War encountered an unspecified error and will now exit.

You`ll notice the reference to the animation database at the end. I think I must have tampered with the vanilla one when applying signiferone`s animations to SS and DLV. Can`t recall what I did though.

Then it looks like you have troubleshot the problem. It appears that the animation pack is incompatible with Medieval 2, but works for kingdoms. There are differences between the Exe's, trust me.
    Last edited by xeryx; March 06, 2008 at 04:59 PM.

Thanks Xeryx. Think I`m gonna delete everything and start afresh. Curious to try Darthmod again with the BAI and XAI.

Let me explain, Darthmod uses the Med2.exe while the XAI is for use with the Kingdoms.exe. If you want to play XAI you need to use either Darth ages or SS51. Because of the unique usage of negative numbers in the AI it is not Med2.exe compatible. I do not believe even using the retrofit mod, changes the exe's. I have asked CA on their forums, if the would update the Med2.exe to the Kingdoms level. That way mods do not have to be converted to that.

If you want to play Darthmod though, It is still fun.

@ Xeryx, Naimad

Don't know if this is the right thread to post this, but I figured you guys would see it here so....

I have been using Naimad's descr_faction_standings file... It is an impressive file, very well put together and thought out!!

I think I read somewhere esle that you guys were reworking this file, so I thought I would throw in some suggestions.

1) I use it combined with Turbo's "Real Diplomacy" DFS and it works very well... I assume you guys are already well aware of this work and are going to be adding this concept into your next DFS. I thought I would mention it just in case!! It modifies the relations between factions based on historical tendancies... the code goes like this:

Trigger England
    WhenToTest FactionTurnStart
    Condition FactionType England
    FactionStanding factions { turks egypt moors mongols timurids } normalise -1 50
    FactionStanding factions { lithuania byzantium kievan_rus russia } normalise -1 20
    FactionStanding factions { scotland ireland france } normalise -1 40
    FactionStanding factions { denmark norway } normalise -1 30
    FactionStanding factions { portugal sicily } normalise 1 10

I really like it as the AI tends to move towards historically accuarate wars and allaiances (though not always ).

2) "Trigger 0051_T_Stole_Back_Settlement" is bugged, so I would not use it, or at least put much less weight into it. For example, if you gift a city to the Pope, then that city gets taken by another faction, and you go back and retake the city back from that 3rd faction, the trigger still fires, even though you are not taking that city back from whom you gave it to. Small thing I know, but FYI.

3) If you are reworking the file anyway, you might want to pay close attention to the order of the triggers in the file. I am sure that you are aware that the resultant of the normalise commands is highly dependant on the order in which they fire, with of course, the last one always being the most important. So close attention to this could enhance this file a lot I think. For example:

If you have 5 items that are going to fire:

A. Normalise faction historical relations
    B. Build a church.
    C. Change relations based on current enemies.
    D. Change relations based on a battle engagement.
    E. Normalise religius based relations

Firing in this order would be okay, but not as good as optimizing the order. The reason I say this, is that human relations are not so much about shared religion or historical wars, or even about "What have you done for me in the past?". They are most affected by "What have you done for me lately?".

Therefore, this might be reodered as such to optimize:

E. Normalise religious based relationsA. Normalise faction historical relations
    B. Build a church.

I only put E before A because I think the AI developing more historical wars (England vs Scotland) is more important then the religious normalization.

B. Represents new religious fervor, and is a great example of "what have you done for me lately" diplomacy! BTW, Naimad, the section on church and priest building is an outstanding piece of work.

Lasty, D. To have the most effect.... the reason being, that 2 historical enemies may be able to create a brief alliance if they are both fighting the same faction - fun for game play.

4) I think the trigger requirements for releasing, executing prisoners etc. should all be changed from >80 to >0. Aside from the the Units Size you are playing on making it not work the same for every player, it does not fire properly for the AI, as they don't often get more then 80 pow's (same thing with auto resolved battles). I have done this in my file, and it fires fine for the AI now.

5) Make an effort to separate the local Faction Standings (between factions) and the Global Faction Standings, which could be linked to the CAI effects to help the AI make more logical decisions. Here is what I mean: I think the faction standings between factions is already done pretty well, especially when you add in Turbo's work. But the Global faction standing is not used very much right now. I was thinking you could make a strong link between after battle actions, like release/execute and sack/occupy/exterminate to the Global Faction standing. This way it could be used to represent a factions in-game battle actions, and used by the CAI to help determine the AI's decisions to accept ceasfire and vassallage, or backstab an ally etc.

6) Consider adding in an effect when a new king comes to power. BYG III does this by increasing the local populations zeal, which I think is very good. I wrote a small script I use in my own DFS:

Trigger 0107_new_faction_leader
    WhenToTest BecomesFactionLeader
    FactionStanding exclude_factions { } normalise 0.2 4
    FactionStanding global normalise 0 4
    FactionStanding allies normalise 0.4 4
    FactionStanding enemies normalise -0.2 4

It has big effects, and the idea is, that a new leader might bring and enemy to the barganing table, make a "perfect" ally slightly suspicious etc., or change the global outlook of the factions previous actions...

7) I think all the modifiers should be given more weight generally. I normally play a 70-120 turn game (as it gets boring after that), so having the modifiers change things enough to make a significant effect in that time would be great (enough for factions to go Ally-Enemy-Ally in 70 turns for example).

Anyhow, thats about it I think.

Cheers!

PS I have a lot of respect for your work Naimad, very high quality and well considered!

Wir können nicht das Unmögliche erreichen, wenn es von uns nicht gefordert wird.

Thank you TZU Devil, I sent you a PM, please check it

That is very good advice, and we can always use good advice!! I think you and Naimad need to get together on this asap!!
    I am very impressed at your understandings, about this file!!
    Last edited by xeryx; March 06, 2008 at 04:58 PM.

Thorn's Avatar Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by TzuDevil View Post
    @ Xeryx, Naimad

Don't know if this is the right thread to post this, but I figured you guys would see it here so....

I have been using Naimad's descr_faction_standings file... It is an impressive file, very well put together and thought out!!

I think I read somewhere esle that you guys were reworking this file, so I thought I would throw in some suggestions.

1) I use it combined with Turbo's "Real Diplomacy" DFS and it works very well... I assume you guys are already well aware of this work and are going to be adding this concept into your next DFS. I thought I would mention it just in case!! It modifies the relations between factions based on historical tendancies... the code goes like this:

Trigger England
    WhenToTest FactionTurnStart
    Condition FactionType England
    FactionStanding factions { turks egypt moors mongols timurids } normalise -1 50
    FactionStanding factions { lithuania byzantium kievan_rus russia } normalise -1 20
    FactionStanding factions { scotland ireland france } normalise -1 40
    FactionStanding factions { denmark norway } normalise -1 30
    FactionStanding factions { portugal sicily } normalise 1 10

I really like it as the AI tends to move towards historically accuarate wars and allaiances (though not always ).

2) "Trigger 0051_T_Stole_Back_Settlement" is bugged, so I would not use it, or at least put much less weight into it. For example, if you gift a city to the Pope, then that city gets taken by another faction, and you go back and retake the city back from that 3rd faction, the trigger still fires, even though you are not taking that city back from whom you gave it to. Small thing I know, but FYI.

3) If you are reworking the file anyway, you might want to pay close attention to the order of the triggers in the file. I am sure that you are aware that the resultant of the normalise commands is highly dependant on the order in which they fire, with of course, the last one always being the most important. So close attention to this could enhance this file a lot I think. For example:

If you have 5 items that are going to fire:

A. Normalise faction historical relations
    B. Build a church.
    E. Normalise religius based relations

Firing in this order would be okay, but not as good as optimizing the order. The reason I say this, is that human relations are not so much about shared religion or historical wars, or even about "What have you done for me in the past?". They are most affected by "What have you done for me lately?".

Therefore, this might be reodered as such to optimize:

E. Normalise religious based relationsA. Normalise faction historical relations
    B. Build a church.

I only put E before A because I think the AI developing more historical wars (England vs Scotland) is more important then the religious normalization.

B. Represents new religious fervor, and is a great example of "what have you done for me lately" diplomacy! BTW, Naimad, the section on church and priest building is an outstanding piece of work.

Lasty, D. To have the most effect.... the reason being, that 2 historical enemies may be able to create a brief alliance if they are both fighting the same faction - fun for game play.

4) I think the trigger requirements for releasing, executing prisoners etc. should all be changed from >80 to >0. Aside from the the Units Size you are playing on making it not work the same for every player, it does not fire properly for the AI, as they don't often get more then 80 pow's (same thing with auto resolved battles). I have done this in my file, and it fires fine for the AI now.

5) Make an effort to separate the local Faction Standings (between factions) and the Global Faction Standings, which could be linked to the CAI effects to help the AI make more logical decisions. Here is what I mean: I think the faction standings between factions is already done pretty well, especially when you add in Turbo's work. But the Global faction standing is not used very much right now. I was thinking you could make a strong link between after battle actions, like release/execute and sack/occupy/exterminate to the Global Faction standing. This way it could be used to represent a factions in-game battle actions, and used by the CAI to help determine the AI's decisions to accept ceasfire and vassallage, or backstab an ally etc.

6) Consider adding in an effect when a new king comes to power. BYG III does this by increasing the local populations zeal, which I think is very good. I wrote a small script I use in my own DFS:

Trigger 0107_new_faction_leader
    WhenToTest BecomesFactionLeader
    FactionStanding exclude_factions { } normalise 0.2 4
    FactionStanding global normalise 0 4
    FactionStanding allies normalise 0.4 4
    FactionStanding enemies normalise -0.2 4

It has big effects, and the idea is, that a new leader might bring and enemy to the barganing table, make a "perfect" ally slightly suspicious etc., or change the global outlook of the factions previous actions...

7) I think all the modifiers should be given more weight generally. I normally play a 70-120 turn game (as it gets boring after that), so having the modifiers change things enough to make a significant effect in that time would be great (enough for factions to go Ally-Enemy-Ally in 70 turns for example).

Anyhow, thats about it I think.

Cheers!

PS I have a lot of respect for your work Naimad, very high quality and well considered!
    Damn.. what a nice rule you have there.. i knew i was missing some rules.., but i didnt know where to look at..

About tigger order.. we cant do much over there..

- Turn start rules
    - Build a church. Allways at start (when buildings get finished)
    - Normalise religious based relations (we could put this at start or end, not middle)
    - Normalise faction historical relations (we could put this at start or end, not middle)
    - Change relations based on current enemies. (i think they are calculated after starting rules)
    - Change relations based on a battle engagement (Allways in the middle)

PS: Thanks, man. nice to know you are enjoying the game.

EDIT: Turbo's rules are wrong.., i mean the ones about "historical" relations.. look at the end of my file.. you will see how they should be to work properly..
    Last edited by Thorn; March 06, 2008 at 05:47 PM.

Ahhh.... point taken on the order business.

So if the triggers fire in this order: CharacterTurn[Start/End] - SettlementTurn[Start/End] - FactionTurn[Start/End], then the weight of the modifiers might have to be adjusted to compensate a bit..... I am not sure about the order the factions actually go in (though Rebels are always last!), but in the DFS they fire in the order they are written if it acts on the same trigger.

Cheers!

Wir können nicht das Unmögliche erreichen, wenn es von uns nicht gefordert wird.

First things first, I would like to say that you guys have done an outstanding job for this mod and I'm loving every bit of it.

-Post deleted, solved the problem, sorry about that-
    Last edited by Mmanmkii; March 07, 2008 at 04:32 AM.