Thread: 1.3 problem (data_0.pack file)

Default 1.3 problem (data_0.pack file)

Whenever I go through the installation for 1.3 it stops saying the packs/data_0.pack file is invalid. What should I do?
    The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him,

But because he loves what is behind him.

Default Re: 1.3 problem (data_0.pack file)

WHS....please help

I actually have a fix for this and problems like it (i.e. 'sounds' folder and other data_x-whatever problems). It's a long process but it works. For me, I had to go all the way back to ground zero with a clean install. That means completely reinstalling the game in a new location. Try just removing the SEGA\ and installing to C:\Program Files\Medieval ... instead of C:\Program Files\SEGA\Medieval ..., that worked for me [if only the rest of the SEGA could be so easily removed]. Skip the 1.1 fix, it's worthless, go directly to 1.2 instead. You may have the same sort of problems installing the 1.2 fix as the 1.3 fix, and the same technique seems to work for either fix. As you know, the update will run up to a point and then crash. The problem seems to be poor programming (I know, I used to be one) by failing to properly clean up after a crash. If you look in the C:\Program Files\Medieval II Total War\packs folder (or whatever location you're installing to) you'll see a data_x file with a .tmp file extension. DO NOT DELETE IT! First use CCleaner, or whatever you use to clean the registry, to fix the .tmp file registry issue that likely exists. Once that's done you can safely manipulate the .tmp file in MSWE (Microsoft Windows Explorer, or My Computer, or whatever). Just rename the .tmp file by removing the .tmp extension, and leave the rest of the file name intact. It looks to me like these are the new extracted versions of these files, and their installation failed, leaving a mess. You're just cleaning up for them. Once you've removed the .tmp extension by renaming it, go back and restart the installation again. There is a very good chance it'll fail again, BUT NOT AT THE POINT where it did before. Just keep repeating the whole process until you get past all the embedded problems and have a completely uninterrupted install. Good luck.

Sometimes I wish lawyers played these sorts of games, what a lovely opportunity to collect for lack of due diligence on someone's part.
    Last edited by Randwulf; November 11, 2008 at 06:04 AM.

Addendum: It's a good idea, once you have a clean update, to immediately make fair copies of the 'sounds' and 'packs' folder, for each fix. Yes, I know, it takes up space, but it also saves time. You can always delete them once you've fully installed.

Also, not sure if it's necessary but I downloaded an independent copy of the 1.3 fix. The one within the Kingdoms update seems suspect to me. However, they're all iffy. If nothing else works, try doing that.

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan156 View Post
    Whenever I go through the installation for 1.3 it stops saying the packs/data_0.pack file is invalid. What should I do?
    Are you installing from:
    1. Kingdoms disk
    2. Download, if so which version?

Miles

I have the same problem using the downloaded 1.3 version.

Unless I can get this sorted and successfully mod files without them crashing when starting a battle, i won't bother buying the Kingdoms game!

irishron's Avatar Cura Palatii

Quote Originally Posted by apw2 View Post
    I have the same problem using the downloaded 1.3 version.

Unless I can get this sorted and successfully mod files without them crashing when starting a battle, i won't bother buying the Kingdoms game!
    It's your choice.

Reasons for install errors and you elimintate them until you find the culprit:
    1. Bad download caused by automatic updaters, working on another webpage while it's downloading, doing other work on the computer during download, the line you're downloading on hiccupped and missed a bite for a few,
    2. modded a file before installing the update,
    3. slow and/or fragmented drive,
    4. not the right language download for for your copy of M2,
    5.not making sure it's original dvd, gold, download and which one you dowloaded it for,
    6. dvd burning software, emulation software, trainers, etc.

Miles

Would only be no. 1 really. I'm used to modding files and the sort from RTW and used to do it on this game, but this is the first time i've tried to play it on Vista.

Its all to do with this data_0.pack file. Same goes for modding. Doesn't matter what i change, the game will not load battles if i remove this one file, if the changes made were from files this pack contains. I've followed the readme file and deleted the suggestioned files, but still no luck. Which is why i'm trying to install version 1.3, however this refuses to install! The pack file is there, 1.2 installed a-ok, i have fresh copies of the pack files so i know they are not the problem.

Either its a corrupt patch, or the game has some serious flaws... i.e. not designed to play on vista.

I shall go download the patch from another location to check.

You can't delete the packs. The game reads those first. For the game to read your modded files use the -io.file_first switch in your command line. Also use a mod folder to keep your changes seperate. One caveat, some units even in 1.3 are still bugged.

Miles

Ah.... so "C:\Games\Medieval II Total War\Launcher.exe" -io.file_first would allow me to mod the game? Strange, i rhought if you extracted the files you wouldn't need the packs. I tried this by extracting the files and leaving them untouched, and moved the packs to another folder. Game worked perfectly. Change one itsy bitsy little thing and its gone.

If you're going to unpack everything and mod to suit, download and install this: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/downl...do=file&id=992. Read all the reference material that is with it and the links to more info. I believe in my opinion, this is your best option. I found out a long time ago there are vast differences in modding rules between RTW and M2TW and I have modded both.

Miles

Alright thanks.

I have modded MTW2 many times before, but that was on my old windows xp laptop, but i do understand most of the rules for modding this game.

Quote Originally Posted by apw2 View Post
    Alright thanks.

I have modded MTW2 many times before, but that was on my old windows xp laptop, but i do understand most of the rules for modding this game.
    The I am assuming from this statement you're using Vista. If so, because of Vista's "security Measures" the rultes change, again. I had Vista for a few months last year and I had to learn to do some things again because of it. It will hide sutff on the game and the game won't know it exists until you find it for it.

Good luck.

Miles

This does no good. There must be a way to override the data_0.pack file, for as long as it is there and the main source for the game to run from, no mods work.

If i remove the pack files and use the modded files, the battles crash to the desktop. I've followed the advice of others, deleted those two "geograhpy" files, same result.

All this mod download has done is create a copy of the main files in another folder. To mod them and start the game with the "mymod.bat" does nothing different from starting the game normally. Any modifcations made fail to work. The game works off the main data files/or pack files, and ignores everything in the "mymod" folder.

Also -io.file_first causes nothing but an error message.

Quote Originally Posted by irishron View Post
    The I am assuming from this statement you're using Vista. If so, because of Vista's "security Measures" the rultes change, again. I had Vista for a few months last year and I had to learn to do some things again because of it. It will hide sutff on the game and the game won't know it exists until you find it for it.

Good luck.
    Sorry just read this bit... And yes, i am now using Vista. I think i understand what you are saying, but how do you go about helping the game find it? I think this bit exceeds my current modding abilities.
    Last edited by apw2; November 15, 2008 at 09:22 AM.

There is a there at the top of this forum called "Total War and Vista" and a lot of the answer are in there. Your problem isn't understanding modding as understanding Vista. You figure out Vista and your modding skills will take care of themselves.

Miles

Ah ok, i shall take a look.

Thanks for the help

Everyone with this problem update microsoft visual C++. I had the same problem and updated c++ and microsoft net framework and it was solved. i believe the system just couldnt read the file. reply here if i am correct to help the others

You probably are. Thank you for the tip.

i can see this is an old thread but when i try and install the game the install gets to data_0.pack, the bar thing keeps going a little before just freezing and nothing happens; no notificaton, no change o what's on the screen, nothing; just no progress either. have tried pretty much everything said here but i still have the problem

Quote Originally Posted by daybe05 View Post
    i can see this is an old thread but when i try and install the game the install gets to data_0.pack, the bar thing keeps going a little before just freezing and nothing happens; no notificaton, no change o what's on the screen, nothing; just no progress either. have tried pretty much everything said here but i still have the problem
    Depending on how full the harddrive is and how fragmented it is and how slow some of my computers have been, I've had the packs take over five minutes each to install.