Thread: Multiplayer Battle AAR - Denmark vs Poland

Default Multiplayer Battle AAR - Denmark vs Poland

Here`s AAR from my last battle with Varyar.

Round 4

Varyar DAN(attacker) VS thrashing mad POL(defender)

Polish deployment

In this battle, attacking Dannish army worth 6,000 points was faced by defending Polish force worth 5,250 points. Map Le Village have slight penalty because of higher ground and woods in defender`s zone. During many league battles defenders usually deployed their forces on a hill in the center of their deployment zone. It`s good position protected by woods from one flank and impassable cliff from the other. However, after watching replay of HanninbalBarca2 deploying part of his forces in a village below a hill, I decided to use same tactics. This will be surely unexpected by Varyar, and both - his starting position and army composition will be suited for a standard pitched battle.

I`ve decided to deploy infantry based army. In the map above enemy deployment zone is on the top, and center of his zone is to the top left.
    To weaken superior numbers of the advancing enemy, I fielded 4 units of Dismounted Lithuanian Cavalry - their long range and accuracy was main factor for taking them. They were arrayed along main road going through center of the village, and they were facing north-west direction - center of enemy deployment zone.

Then I also took 2 units of Lithuanian Archers. They are worse shooters than Dism.Lithuanian Cavalry, both in range and accuracy, but they come with excellent features for this kind of plan - sharpened stakes. Because they are one of elite unit choices for Early Era Poland, I was allowed to take only two of them. I`ve deployed first unit, along with stakes, at the western entry to the village - probable area of highest concentration of attacking enemies. Second unit with stakes was deployed to the south entry. I knew that Varyar is smart tactician, so I predicted that he`ll try to attack from the rear with his cavalry, instead of frontal assault (I would probably did the same in such situation)

4 units of Spearmen were core elements of my defense plan. I deployed them at the 4 entry routes to the village: western, north-western, northern, and eastern. Because of deployment zone restrictions I`ve placed them nearby their future defensive positions. Their aim will be to make a stand against advancing hordes of the enemy, guarding each entry arrayed across the roads with flanks protected by the village buildings, and deep rank formations. I also selected 'guard mode', so that they`ll stay on their positions and keep formation tight.

Then I also took 3 units of woodsmen - they have poor morale and defense, but charge of this 2-H axe wielding infantry can be devastating, even for armored opponents. I deployed 2 of them in the center - they`ll act as an emergency force, strengthening spearmen at each endangered entry if need will be. One of them were placed at the western entry - possible place of main enemy attack.

Finally my general`s unit - Dismounted Polish Nobles - my best infantry unit, but far behind for eg. Dismounted Feudal Knights. I deployed them in the center of the village, and they`ll be sent to protect south entry zone if need will be.

I`ve also taken Polish Nobles - medium armoured cavalry with good morale and skill of throwing armor piercing javelins. I deployed them far away from the village - hidden from the eyes of the enemy in a forest, on the opposite edge of the map. Because almost 90% times players keep their general at the rear - using them in the very last moment, aim of Polish Nobles was to kill enemy general, once he`ll be left unprotected. Because Varyar would probably take General Bodyguard (heavy armored knights), Polish Nobles with their javelins will be good for this task.

Finally deployment was finished, and I could take a look at enemy.

As you can see, Danish army was deployed for pitched battle, and they were facing south direction - hill where defenders usually deployed their troops. Thus Varyar had to quickly alter his plans, as well as formation of his army. Now, let`s take a look at enemy units.

On his left flank Danes have two units of Huscalrs - well armored warriors wielding armor piercing axes with good morale. Then on both flanks of his core infantry formation, Varyar fielded total four units of peasants - they`re just cheap cannon fodder, but they can be still used as distraction or screens against enemy missiles. At the front attackers have 4 units of peasant archers - unskilled shooters with poor range, but still able to kill unarmored opponents. Then we have 4 units of Viking Raiders - medium infantry armed with armor piercing axes and shields. On the far right flank, Danes had 2 units of scouts - light and fast cavalry with lances. Their charge can be devastating but they can`t stand long in meele. There is also unit of dismounted huscarls - very good infantry, with good morale, armor and skills. At the rear Varyar kept his General Bodyguard - well armored elite knights - his best unit.

Comparison of forces:

POLAND:
    5x Medium Infantry
    3x Poor Infantry
    4x Good Archers
    2x Medium Archers
    1x Good Cavalry

men 941

DENMARK
    4x Poor Infantry
    5x Medium Infantry
    4x Poor Archers
    2x Light Cavalry
    2x Good Cavalry
    1x Elite Cavalry

men 1076

to be continued soon..

Default Re: Multiplayer Battle AAR - Denmark vs Poland

First thing that I did once battle commenced was to move my infantry to defensive positions indicated on the map - I couldn`t do that during deployment. I also indicated impassable elements of the village with darker colors.

It also turned out, that Danish Huscarls were in range of my Dism.Lith.Cav., and they started to rain arrows upon the enemy cavalry from the very beginning of the battle.

In response, Varyar retreated Huscarls out of range of my archers, and he also sent his Peasant Archers forward, to return fire, while his core troops reformed.
    At this point, I commanded 2 units of Lithuanian Archers to hurry out from the stakes deployed by them at the S and W entries, to the centre of the village, so that they could shoot at the enemy.

While enemy slowly advanced under fire of my archers, my spearmen and Dism.Polish Nobles reached their defensive positions. As you can see they were arrayed in tight and deep formations across the roads of the village - thus numerical superiority of enemy units would be countered, and my infantry couldn`t be flanked.

Danish Peasant Archers began to shoot inflamed arrows at my infantry, but due to their lack of skill they were loosing duel with my, better archers.

As you can see on the map, Varyar moved his 4 units of peasants in the direction of NW entry, while rest of his infantry (4 Viking Raiders + Dism. Huscarls) were advancing to the W entrance - thus my guess about highest concentration of attack in this area seemed to be correct.

Also, as I suspected, his cavalry was galloping to rear entries - 2 units of Huscarls to the E, and 2 units of Scouts to the S.

Seeing how enemy attack will look like, I`ve sent my reserve Woddsmen units - one to the E, other to the S entries, to help spearmen make a stand against incoming enemy cavalry.

Also situation in NW area was quite worrying - four units of Danish archers concentrated fire on my spearmen, while horde of 4 units of peasants advanced upon them.

Thus, enemy peasants attacked at NW, and Huscarls at E enterances. Scouts were galloping fast in the south, while amassed Danish infantry prepared for assault at W. You can also see that enemy general is left alone - only peasant archers are near him. Thus I commanded my Polish Nobles hidden in the woods, far to the west to gallop - however, it`ll take some tame for them to reach enemy position.

Mob of enemy peasants striked at shield wall of my spearmen at NW. My men were outnumbered 4:1, but with flanks protected, better skills, morale and equipment they could stand a chance against enemy. On the other hand, enemy peasants poor morale, was lowered even more by heavy fire of my archers.

At the E enterance, enemy Huscarls attacked.

Because they don`t use lances, their charge isn`t so devastating thus my spearmen and woodsmen had fair chances against them.

In the meantime enemy started their assault at the W enterance, outnumbering my Spearmen and Woodsmen 2:1, however - not all of the enemies were able to reach my men due to narrow space, and they were under constant fire of my archers.

At this time, my Polish Nobles were slowly reaching their target - enemy general.

Unfortunately, he moved with his bodyguard towards N entrance, away from my incoming cavalry. But there were good news coming from E and S areas.

Most of the Huscarls were slain, stopped by shieldwall of my spearmen, and chopped by axes of my woodsmen. Only few survivors retreated from the battle.

At the NW entry my spearmen held well against peasant mob, however only half of their original number left. On the other hand peasant`s morale begun to shatter slowly.

At the W area, my troops still stand on their positions, but they were dying slowly, while enemy outnumbered them 2:1. However, thanks to protected flanks and rear they sill fought, and their morale didn`t fall yet.

In the meantime, Danish Scouts stormed through southern entrance to the village. However, Varyar didn`t notice stakes deployed across the road by my Lithuanian archers. This led to total disaster:

About 3/4 th of Scouts perished impaled on the sharpened stakes, few terrified survivors galloped further along southern road of the village.

They were quickly slain by my general`s unit of Dismounted Polish Nobles. By this way S and E entrances weren`t endangered anymore.

In the meantime, outside the village, my Polish Nobles unable to reach enemy general, charged and routed one unit of enemy archers. However, I thought that their potential is needed elsewhere, and I had left Danish archers. Polish Nobles galloped to the W enterance - place of highest concentration of enemy infantry.

At the same time, Danish General Bodyguard reached N enterance. However, seeing wall of shields and spears Varyar hesitated and retreated his general away, maybe to deal with my Polish Nobles, which attacked main body of Danish infantry at W area.

At this point of battle, Polish victory seemed very likely scenario. Whole enemy cavalry, except General Bodyguard, was routed or killed. Enemy infantry was seriously weakened, trying to break through my defensive position under heavy fire of my archers. Enemy lost about 60% of his men, while I lost only about 40%.

I retreated Polish Nobles from combat at W, and they met charge of enemy General Bodyguard and began to fight.

In the meantime whole infantry from secured areas: S,E,N was advancing upon enemy, in order to attack them from behind, and/or cut off their route of retreat. After some time enemy general fell, and enemy began to flee. Peasants at NW were massacred when their retreat was blocked by my spearmen. Similar situation happened in W, where enemy finally broken under pressure, when I amassed my whole infantry upon them.

Thus battle was won.

Conclusion:

What helped me to won was element of surprise and deployment. I used such tactic for the first time, and I was surprised about results. However, it turned out that this battle wasn`t balanced, and due to advantage of using buildings, and protecting flanks, defender on such maps should have by far less points for his army.

bomberboy's Avatar Domesticus

Wow you won again thats great is their any other rounds.

P.S Are you using Stainless Steel and which version.
    Check out my Music reviews here now!
    Bomberboy's reviews
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=175306

Much enyoyable reading, thank you. And congratulations