Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kingdoms Sound Files

Default Re: Kingdoms Sound Files

Yes it uses quite a few of the old M2TW sound files. Since the Kingdoms campaigns are really just mods the game will load files from the main M2TW data folder if they don't exist in the campaign's data folder.

Byg's Grim Reality Forums
    En mancansa del caval trotta anca el musso

Thanks Caliban. And I also wonder when we can get the Source Animations Files for Kingdoms.

Beiss's Avatar Nemo nascitur...

Quote Originally Posted by nerazzurri View Post
    Yes it uses quite a few of the old M2TW sound files. Since the Kingdoms campaigns are really just mods the game will load files from the main M2TW data folder if they don't exist in the campaign's data folder.
    That's actually not true - the game will load the vanilla files first and if it can't find a file it will look in the mod folder - not the other way around.
    Under the patronage of Halie Satanus, Emperor of Ice Cream, in the house of wilpuri

Are you sure? Surely if it loaded the vanilla files first it wouldn't be possible to actually mod anything...

Byg's Grim Reality Forums
    En mancansa del caval trotta anca el musso

Well, this only applies to sounds, it seems. Or - I don't know this for sure but this is what I did and what happened:

I had a number of sounds in the correct folder, trying to replace the German and French speech (among others) with real German and French, making the game use these samples instead of the vanilla ones. These files had the exact same filenames as the vanilla ones. Until I renamed the files, and edited the sound text files to use the renamed files instead, and also (although I don't know if this was necessary, or if renaming the files could have been skipped if I had done this first) renamed the accent groups German and French to xGerman and xFrench, respectively, the game would use the vanilla files and not the new ones I had put in the mod folder. But once I'd done this, it worked.

I could be wrong, but this indicates, I think, that the game won't use modded sound files as long as it can find vanilla sound files with the same filename. If this was the case with other files, then, yes, modding would be impossible. I don't know why it works differently with sounds, but I will poke around to find out more.

Adding additional samples instead of replacing the existing ones should work though, since the game won't find the additional sounds among the vanilla files (duh).
    Under the patronage of Halie Satanus, Emperor of Ice Cream, in the house of wilpuri

Just to confirm:

I tried renaming all occurences of the german and french accent groups in the sound text files to xgerman and xfrench. I started the game, let it repack, and as I thought, the game ignores the new samples I put in my mod folder, since their filenames are the same as the vanilla samples.

How do I know this? Well, once the game finished repacking, I tried a custom battle as the HRE and sure enough, they spoke English (meaning they didn't use my new German samples). I quit the game, looked in my mod folder and found the files audio.idx/dat sized 1kB, meaning they didn't contain any samples at all.

Conclusion: as far as sounds are concerned, the game picks the vanilla stuff first, and only if it can't find a sound among the vanilla ones does it load sounds located in the mod folder. I don't know why.
    Last edited by Beiss; September 18, 2007 at 04:19 PM.

Hans Kloss's Avatar J-23

Thx all works perfect

I managed to add princesses (that speak ) to Jerusalem and Antioch

With this can I just throw them in the /sound folder, overwrite and get rid of my awful spanish version sounds?

You can't imagine how disturbed I feel when my elves speak "yo voy a te cortar en pezados"...

Edit: Files aren't there for DL.
    Last edited by Excellion; January 07, 2012 at 06:32 PM. Reason: Where are the files?!?!?

irishron's Avatar Cura Palatii

You mean these?
    Last edited by irishron; November 08, 2012 at 09:02 PM.

Added an alternate download link in the Opening post.

Quote Originally Posted by irishron View Post
    You mean these?
    No...In fact I meant the audio files. Since I'm stuck here in Brazil, I could only put my hands on a spanish version of M2TW. With Third Age I got bilingual units, lol.

But I look for having my units speaking only in english, though 'tis not a priority.

Thanks anyway, you fixed the download, and that's generous =)

Does anyone have the original English voice acting for DaC-a? I installed a patch with Russian voice acting, I want to return back the one that was originally in 1.2.
    If there is, please send the folder sounds ; files export_descr_sounds_units_voice.txt and descr_sounds_accents.txt

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12