Thread: Making money in EU3

Default Making money in EU3

So you guys got any tips for making alot of cash in EU, specifically when in early game?
    Well, if I, Belisarius, the Black Prince, and you all agree on something, I really don't think there can be any further discussion.
    - Simetrical 2009 in reply to Ferrets54

Edelward's Avatar Vicarius

Default Re: Making money in EU3

No ...
    You can ignore certain researches fore while, but be careful with direct income for you can get a high inflation .Inflation modifier is shown on tooltip it can be negative or positive .Which means if you really need troops to survive and draw all money directly into treasury and develop inflation then later you can reduce it to Noll by sliding direct cash into position when it would diminish inflation
    Alternatively draw all income into treasury somewhere in October,for it takes some time for your bank to react,-get increased income -then in January bring back income sliders into research again.So you would get much higher annual income and not develop inflation
    O yeah if you have peace period you might reduce troops maintenance to 50%.Beware though that their morale is reduced then and it takes couple of months to recover when you bring maintenance back to 100%

Hire merchant competitor modifier and try market in Lisbon which has biggest amount of cash in the beginning

If you really want cash that bad then use cheat print-'§' then 'cash' - get 5000 . Yes it is not interesting and only good on small factions amongst religious enemies before you learn game mechanics enough to play without cheats and re-loads
    Last edited by Edelward; September 03, 2007 at 02:05 PM.
    Fitz Salnarville, Duke William's favourite knyghte,
    To noble Edelwarde his life dyd yielde;
    Withe hys tylte launce hee stroke with thilk a myghte,
    The Norman's bowels steemde upon the feeld.
    Old Salnarville beheld hys son lie ded, 235
    Against Erie Edelward his bowe-strynge drewe;
    But Harold at one blowe made tweine his head;
    He dy'd before the poignant arrowe flew.
    So was the hope of all the issue gone,
    And in one battle fell the sire and son

Build workshops everywhere. Everywhere! Because built in a province with 100% tax modifiers you'll get 2 gold in census taxes every year, so it pays off in 25 years, not even taking into account the gained monthly income.
    Also research constables as early as possible because they will gain you +50% tax, and that's an awful lot.

If you rely heavily on colonizing, get your production efficiency as high as possible, as your yearly production income gets higher with that.
    If you rely heavily on trade, get your trade efficiency up and consider getting the national idea "National Bank", as it will allow you to mint 10% of your monthly income without gaining inflation. And if you trade a lot, you can earn a fortune.

In my current game as the UK in 1670, I'm at a census tax of 1300, nearly 2000 if I raise war taxes. That means I can build one or two manufacturies each year.

Edelward's Avatar Vicarius

Positive stability brings more money too
    Every point of positive stability brings 10% tax income bonus.In stressed situation I choose idea 'Church attendance day' to reduce stability costs.Advisers would help too
    Alternatively easy factions choose 'Quest for New World' to start colonize-good money in colonies.If you are catholic in the very beginning of the game ask troop access from Portugal use their ports in Atlantic to repair your exploring ships.Head to Caribbeans-better colonial income
    So first I research Government tech to 1 -to get an idea
    then Production tech to 1 - to get workshop
    then land tech to 1 - to get fort level 1
    Last edited by Edelward; September 03, 2007 at 02:01 PM.
    Fitz Salnarville, Duke William's favourite knyghte,
    To noble Edelwarde his life dyd yielde;
    Withe hys tylte launce hee stroke with thilk a myghte,
    The Norman's bowels steemde upon the feeld.
    Old Salnarville beheld hys son lie ded, 235
    Against Erie Edelward his bowe-strynge drewe;
    But Harold at one blowe made tweine his head;
    He dy'd before the poignant arrowe flew.
    So was the hope of all the issue gone,
    And in one battle fell the sire and son

Try to capture a COT, lol. Thats usually the first thing I try to do if its possible.
    Swear filters are for sites run by immature children.

Lawrence of Arabia's Avatar Citizen

The first thing I do when I start a game is try to put the balance slider so I receive 0.0 inflation or if I must, something negative; after that is done, I send merchants to the nearest, most profitable CoT
    Quote Originally Posted by Empi Rapper View Post
    Go on Farnan, go and help those despicable thugs you call our soldiers to kill some of the poorest people on the planet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Empi Rapper View Post
    Don't you realize that it is a good thing that so many British soldiers have already been killed as punishment for the invasion?

Ulf's Avatar Ordinarius

Take 10 loans and refuse to pay them all back for 20 years.
    Thank you for reading this assuredly fantastic post.

Quote Originally Posted by Ulf View Post
    Take 10 loans and refuse to pay them all back for 20 years.

That's just stupid, ur armies will useless for years...so unless u play on being a non militaristic (and therefor ussually rich anyway) its a dumb plan...

You can give loans (only to nations who u can trust) for 15%....

Savage_Swede's Avatar Carolus Rex

Quote Originally Posted by Fuji View Post
    That's just stupid, ur armies will useless for years...so unless u play on being a non militaristic (and therefor ussually rich anyway) its a dumb plan...

You can give loans (only to nations who u can trust) for 15%....
    I have a feeling he wasn't serious xD

Sig by Lord Rahl
    Under the patronage of Obi Wan Asterix

Europa Barbarorum, what RTW should have been.

God-Emperor of Mankind's Avatar Apperently I protect

Trading is probably the best way.
    It's very tempting to pull that "treasury" slider all the way up but the inflation that it creates makes it simply not worth it.
    If you got the expansion pack then managing your traders becomes even easier.

Yeah and less annoying...it looks a small addition but it makes the game much better (easier though...)

Gavmundo's Avatar Senator
    Morecambe, UK ... in the realms of the North!

I don't think there's any quickfire way for making a pile of cash it tends to take careful planning and many years I've never found cash a problemalthough I tend to play the bigger countries rather than small ones so it maybe a problem in certain cases. It's just a case of waiting till Jan to get your cash fix! I've always found the managing your cash isn't the big issue it's managing your inflation as it starts to rise
    Member of S.I.N

Xfire: Ulfang
    Steam: Gavmundo
    Xbox 360: Gavmundo
    PS3: Gavmundo

Trading is hard unless you use NA, then i would DEFINITELY jump on that. Especially if you own a COT.
    Swear filters are for sites run by immature children.

I started playing recently but I think it's damn hard to make money.