3.0 LAUNCHING THE MOD
    4.0 CAVEATS AND KNOWN ISSUES
    5.0 MODDING
    6.0 CONTACT AND SUPPORT INFORMATION
    7.0 LEGAL INFORMATION
    8.0 ADIITIONAL INFORMATION

1.0 OVERVIEW
    ============

The Retrofit Mod retrofits various Medieval II Total War (M2TW): Kingdoms features, improvements and bug fixes to vanilla M2TW. This mod can be used as it is, or as a base to create additional M2TW: Kingdoms mods (see section 5.0).

The major features of the Retrofit Mod are:

- Hotseat Campaigns.
    - Control AI Reinforcements.
    - Boiling Oil.
    - 4 Additional custom battle maps (Backwoods, Borderlands, Forts, Trenches).
    - Unit rebalancing.
    - AI Unit Recruitment tweaks.
    - Campaign AI Tweaks.
    - Miscellaneous bug fixes and improvements.
    - Installer: The mod is packaged with an easy to use installer for computers with a valid installation of M2TW: Kingdoms.

2.0 INSTALLATION
    ================

The Retrofit Mod requires M2TW: Kingdoms.

To install the Retrofit Mod, simply run the supplied executable file. If you have a valid installation of M2TW: Kingdoms, installation setup will automatically determine the installation path and appropriate language assets (game audio and text) for the Retrofit Mod.

The Retrofit Mod installs all game files into a separate mod path and does not modify any existing M2TW or M2TW: Kingdoms files. This protects the existing M2TW and M2TW: Kingdoms installations and allows multiple mods to be run from the same M2TW installation.

Installation consists of four main components:

- Required Retrofit Mod Files: Core files required to install and use the Retrofit Mod. (REQUIRED)
    - Copy M2TW Campaign Files: The installer will copy the required campaign files from the original M2TW installation. (REQUIRED)
    - Copy M2TW Custom Battle Files: The installer can copy the custom battle files from the original M2TW installation. (OPTIONAL)
    - Copy M2TW Save Games: The installer can copy save games from the original M2TW installation for use in the Retrofit Mod. (OPTIONAL)

3.0 LAUNCHING THE MOD
    =====================

The Retrofit Mod can be launched via a number of methods:

- Start menu shortcut
    - Quicklaunch icon
    - Desktop icon
    - M2TW game launcher (English)
    - Batch file located in: [M2TW Path]\mods\retrofit\medieval2_retrofit.bat

4.0 CAVEATS AND KNOWN ISSUES
    ============================

- Version 1.0 of the Retofit Mod is designed to work with M2TW: Kingdoms with M2TW updated to version 1.03.000. Version 1.0 of the Retrofit Mod may not work correctly with future versions of M2TW: Kingdoms and M2TW.
    - The Retrofit Mod may not install and/or run correctly for some downloadable distribution methods of M2TW or M2TW: Kingdoms.
    - Although the Retrofit Mod contains assets for all available game languages, it has not been exhaustively tested for every language of M2TW: Kingdoms.
    - The 4 additional custom battle maps have not been translated for non-english languages.
    - Using M2TW save games in the Retrofit Mod has not been exhaustively tested.

5.0 MODDING
    ===========

The Retrofit Mod may supply a good base or reference for other M2TW: Kingdoms mods. Other mods may include content of the Retrofit Mod in whole or in part. Please acknowledge credit to the Retrofit Mod when Retrofit Mod content is used in other mods.

6.0 CONTACT AND SUPPORT INFORMATION
    ===================================

Support for the Retrofit Mod is provided through the Total War forums:

www.totalwarforums.com
    www.twcenter.net/forums

For non-support related enquiries, the Author of the Retrofit Mod can be contacted directly at:

unspokenknight@gmail.com

Due to work, family and other commitments, the Author may not be able to reply or may take some time to reply to any enquiries. Please do not contact the Author of the Retrofit Mod directly for support.

7.0 LEGAL INFORMATION
    =====================

This is an unofficial Mod for Medieval II Total War: Kingdoms. SEGA and the Creative Assembly do not endorse or support this Mod.

All right, title, interest and ownership rights in this Mod belong to the Author of this Mod (as far as is legally possible).

The Author of this Mod (and for the avoidance of doubt SEGA and The Creative Assembly) will not be held responsible for the risks connected with any loss (financial or otherwise), damage to property, lost data, console, computer or handheld device failure, errors and lost business or other information as a result of possession, use or malfunction of this Mod.

8.0 ADDITIONAL INFORMATION
    ==========================

Please also download and try the "Custom Campaign Mod" by "Unspoken Knight":

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/downl...o=file&id=1403
    Last edited by Unspoken Knight; August 29, 2007 at 11:09 PM.

Socal_infidel's Avatar PDER Piper

Default Re: Retrofit Mod 1.0 Released

Thanks! Just downloaded it! Cheers!

Glorius day! Downloading now!

Thanks!

Bob the Insane's Avatar Semisalis

Fantastic...

I have a (quickish) question for you Unknown Knight:

Do the various descr_ [...] text files that accompany this GC mod for Kingdoms actually contain any new parameters/code entries in them that are specific to the Kingdoms exe? The reason I'm asking is I'm wondering whether my own personal mod for vanilla Med II can be easily ported over to use the Kingdoms exe, or, whether one of more of my mod text files will need to be updated into a Kingdoms format?

Cheers

GrandViZ's Avatar Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by DrJambo View Post
    I have a (quickish) question for you Unknown Knight:

Do the various descr_ [...] text files that accompany this GC mod for Kingdoms actually contain any new parameters/code entries in them that are specific to the Kingdoms exe? The reason I'm asking is I'm wondering whether my own personal mod for vanilla Med II can be easily ported over to use the Kingdoms exe, or, whether one of more of my mod text files will need to be updated into a Kingdoms format?

Cheers
    Good question!
    Creator of the Ultimate AI
    Co-Author of Broken Crescent

Under the Patronage of Trajan

Why this changes are not included at an official patch?? M2TW don't deserve another patch for CA? They think the game is ok like it is now....???? x___x

Port Lobo, even I can see why it makes more sense this way. Plus, thanks to Unspoken Knight, we're in effect not losing out. In fact, it's arguably better this way.

Anyway, Unspoken Knight, I've another question or two to add to your growing list I'm afraid...

How does one enable the different strat map models for the campaign map leader and faction heir in the Retrofit mod? If they're not native to the Kingdoms exe, should I just copy and paste the respective files from your Custom Campaign Mod? Also, someone hinted that it's even possible to get them to look different on the battlemap too - true?

Lastly, I like making the bodyguard units recruitable (which is simple enough) but I'd like the AI to be given a high priority to recruit these things. Is it as simple as making this new Kingdoms' variable highly positive?

"recruit_priority_offset 0"

to:

"recruit_priority_offset 50"

Cheers!
    Last edited by DrJambo; August 30, 2007 at 04:28 PM.

beezneez's Avatar Civis

Quote Originally Posted by DrJambo View Post
    Lastly, I like making the bodyguard units recruitable (which is simple enough) but I'd like the AI to be given a high priority to recruit these things. Is it as simple as making this new Kingdoms' variable highly positive?

"recruit_priority_offset 0"

to:

"recruit_priority_offset 50"

Cheers!
    i'd like to do the same. which folder are these variables located?
    "And so the population was gradually led into the demoralizing temptations of arcades, baths, and sumptuous banquets. The unsuspecting Britons spoke of such novelties as 'civilization', when in fact they were only a feature of their enslavement."
    -The Roman Author Tacitus

Lusted's Avatar Look to the stars

How does one enable the different skins for the campaign map leader and faction heir in the Retrofit mod?
    descr_character.txt. you can have multiple start_map entries for generals, the first will be normal generals, 2nd heirs and 3rd leaders.

Also, someone hinted it's even possible to get them to look different on the battlemap too - true?
    Can be done through campaign_script.txt, check out the Americas camapign version of this file for more info.
    Creator of:
    Lands to Conquer Gold for Medieval II: Kingdoms
    Terrae Expugnandae Gold Open Beta for RTW 1.5
    Proud ex-Moderator and ex-Administrator of TWC from Jan 06 to June 07
    Awarded the Rank of Opifex for outstanding contributions to the TW mod community.
    Awarded the Rank of Divus for oustanding work during my times as Administrator.

Kushan's Avatar Artifex

I'm curious about this as well.

Thanks, just downloaded.

Kushan
    Under the patronage of Silver Guard

@DrJambo:

Many of the descr files I have included in the Retrofit Mod do contain Kingdoms specific parameters. One example is the new AI recruitment offsets and unit speed modifiers in the EDU.

You should be able to port your own mod to Kingdoms without too much trouble. Perhaps use the Retrofit Mod files as a base, and merge your files into it. If you have any conflicting files you will either need to merge the files together (recommended) or replace with your own (which may disable some features or cause other issues). The EDU should be able to be replaced with your own without any significant problems, except that you would miss out on balance changes and AI recruitment tweaks.

I have tried to keep the changes in the Retrofit Mod to a minimum to make it easier to use in other mods. The EDU may be a pain to merge with EDU's from existing mods due to the number of tweaks made, but as stated above, it can just be replaced (possibly leaving out the balance changes and AI recruitment tweaks).

How does one enable the different strat map models for the campaign map leader and faction heir in the Retrofit mod?
    As Lusted stated, you can specify multiple models in descr_character.txt. Be sure to add the 'level' attributes to the leader and heir traits in export_descr_character_traits.txt, add the model data itself and add entries to the model data to desc_model_strat.txt.

If they're not native to the Kingdoms exe, should I just copy and paste the respective files from your Custom Campaign Mod?
    You should be able to copy the descr_character.txt, export_descr_character_traits.txt, and descr_model_strat.txt from the Custom Campaign Mod to the Retrofit Mod.

Also, someone hinted that it's even possible to get them to look different on the battlemap too - true?
    As Lusted mentioned, for the battle models, check the kingdoms campaign scripts. I think you can specify starting character battle models in descr_strat.txt also.

Yes, but you will probably want to do many tests and tune the value.

Hope this helps,

Unspoken Knight

Kushan's Avatar Artifex

Do all mods go in the mods folder now?

Kushan
    Under the patronage of Silver Guard

Awesome, any updates planned?
    I see the universe. I see the patterns. I see the foreshadowing that proceeds every moment, of every day. It's all there. I see it, and you don't. And I have a surprise for you. I have something to tell you about the future...

@Kushan,

Mods do not need to go into the mod folder, but it probably is a good place to put them for consistency.

@beezneez:

These variables are in the EDU (export_descr_unit.txt) under '[m2tw_path]\mods]retrofit\'

Unspoken Knight

beezneez's Avatar Civis

Quote Originally Posted by Unspoken Knight View Post

@beezneez:

These variables are in the EDU (export_descr_unit.txt) under '[m2tw_path]\mods]retrofit\'

Unspoken Knight
    thank you, i should have known
    "And so the population was gradually led into the demoralizing temptations of arcades, baths, and sumptuous banquets. The unsuspecting Britons spoke of such novelties as 'civilization', when in fact they were only a feature of their enslavement."
    -The Roman Author Tacitus

UK,

I noticed we can mine other resources besides gold and silver. I tried to duplicate your lines from the EDB, but have been unable to get any income (allowed to build the mine, but 0 income).

Is this option only work through the kingdoms.exe (yet to mod another Kingdoms mod) or am I missing something?

Thanks for the insight
    Nem

onmy6's Avatar Miles

hi im new to this forum so forgive my possibly stupid question, i have been using rome medieval but a got a copy of m2tw only thing is , is that its spanish and it the orginal m2tw, will this mod work at all on my version , thanks and sorry if its a dumb question

Hey,

I downloaded the mod but noticed no changes. Are they internal changes? I thought I would be able to play as Ireland, or the Welsh, but on the grand map.

and by "Hotseat campaigns" what does it mean, becuase to me its the main MTW:2 vanilla, with the upgrades in Kingdoms, but I thought it was adding all the countries, into the grand map. Am I wrong?

Thanks in advance,

Page 1 of 13 1234567891011 ... LastLast