Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: The Rise and Fall of the Last Emperor of TWC

Evariste's Avatar We are one, we are many

Default Re: The Rise and Fall of the Last Emperor of TWC

Quote Originally Posted by Perikles View Post
    Er, no. Not on this occasion anyway.
    Oh, am I thinking of the Besim thing? Sorry, I'm disappointed in how this stuff is starting to run together in my mind. I cannot believe it happened two years ago. That's like 47 in internet years.

Call it the 'Staff's list of petty grievances to high imperator Archer, October 2006' then.
    Yep, that has a nice ring to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Evariste View Post
    Oh, am I thinking of the Besim thing? Sorry, I'm disappointed in how this stuff is starting to run together in my mind. I cannot believe it happened two years ago. That's like 47 in internet years.
    I too am going senile in my internet old age, I've taken to looking through my diary (msn logs) to remind me of what happened, the most hell raising thing I can find is me rattling on about some petition, seems quite feeble.

This is more or less how I remember it, Archer.

Was my role so small?

Patron of Felixion, Ulyaoth, Reidy, Ran Taro and Darth Red
    Co-Founder of the House of Caesars

Civitate

Surely you can only say Last Emperor if TWC disappears for good, like Rome. As who knows what the future will bring? For all we know Rzzza/Ferrets could return and pwn everyone

Simetrical's Avatar Former Chief Technician
    Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by DaVinci View Post
    While i saw also a necessary reason for a re-launch/re-start for TWC in the said times of 2006 (i also was a mod leader who said, if the things don't calm we would leave the site with the ChivTW project besides a lot other projects and members of especially the modding community), i never understood the heated bashing of a member (Archer), who did that muuuuch for the site inall the years before. I even did put at least one time a clear comment at these times into a certain thread where Archer was disputed by so many, just to think about things twice, especially what were the motives of Archer to act as he acted and also to see first his merits he gained for TWC.
    I don't remember any heated bashings of Archer. We always would have been happy for him to remain as an admin. In fact he did remain as admin for a while after he acceded to our demands. We just didn't feel we were being treated acceptably, in terms of being listened to and so on, so we no longer wanted him to have sole authority over the site. I always felt that he was a fine administrator in most respects, just sometimes impulsive and inattentive to subordinates' opinions. He would come out with random decrees that he hadn't discussed with anyone and that weren't really thought through well.

If there was any bashing, more of it came from Archer's side than the rebels. Like "a bunch of politically influenced and corrupt people, who's aim is nothing but to climb the imaginary ladder of the staff ranks", from Archer himself. Although some of our supporters (like Professor420) were overly enthusiastic, as was their wont, I don't think any of the actual rebels were anything but polite and constructive throughout most of it. (Well, okay, I remember flaming Justinian to hell on MSN.)

I've copied some threads into Living History just now, some originally public and some from staff:

The first two were in the Hall of Shame in the Moderator Den, the last two were in Hex.
    Last edited by Simetrical; November 23, 2008 at 07:22 PM.
    MediaWiki developer, TWC Chief Technician
    NetHack player (nao info)

Risen from Prey

Reading those threads brings back memories.

Dear Archer,

We, the undersigned, have finally lost confidence in your ability to lead this site by yourself. We would like to respectfully request that you remove your superadmin access and give it to Mimirswell instead. All of Hex can then discuss the future of the site's leadership.
    Do you remember Archer who leaked this version of the draft to you? I found it strange because the newest draft was available when it was leaked to you. I have a suspect in mind but I wouldn't want to accuse anyone since I do not know for certain.

(Well, okay, I remember flaming Justinian to hell on MSN.)
    Do you have a log of that? I can't remember that, though I'm sure words were exchanged... If you do, PM it to me, for old time's sake!

Looking at those posts, it's clear my words came off very heated in public, but this was out of necessity to form a unified front. I agreed with some points of the so called staff coup and I remember expressing this to Archer on MSN -- mainly delegating, talking with others, listening to Hex's opinions, etc. However it would have done neither me, Archer or TWC any good for me to have been dissenting in public so I kept all of that private.

I will note for posterity's sake that I tried to keep the members of staff from being mass excised, and part of the reason for the angry tone of my posts was the fact that what happened was against my best judgment and advice. Plus y'all weren't interested in involving me in the "coup" to the best of my and my PM inbox's recollection, though that was a wise choice.
    Last edited by Justinian; November 23, 2008 at 09:47 PM.

Fabolous's Avatar Power breeds Arrogance

Oh, the Staff's list of petty grievances to high imperator Archer, October 2006 incident. What drama, what excitement. What an experience. The struggle over the fate and future of a site. The precursor to events that would define the site and take us to a glorious age.

Interesting to read any thread about it. I was so entwined at the time, so caught up, and so fought over. So mislead at times but told so much so openly at times. I have so many thoughts and such a view I might need my own thread to go through them.
    tBP knows how to handle a sword. -Last Crusader

Under the Honorable Patronage of Belisarius
    Formerly Under the Patronage of Simetrical
    Proud Patron of Lusted, Rome AC, Solid, and Dirty Peasant

Simetrical's Avatar Former Chief Technician
    Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by Justinian View Post
    Do you have a log of that? I can't remember that, though I'm sure words were exchanged... If you do, PM it to me, for old time's sake!
    Sure.
    I will note for posterity's sake that I tried to keep the members of staff from being mass excised, and part of the reason for the angry tone of my posts was the fact that what happened was against my best judgment and advice. Plus y'all weren't interested in involving me in the "coup" to the best of my and my PM inbox's recollection, though that was a wise choice.
    Are you forgetting that I had tried to stage a coup just like this one some months before, and that when I approached you about it you went and told Archer? (Or was it Beli? I forget, either way.) You were one of the few people I approached incautiously because I assumed you wouldn't break my confidence regardless of whether you agreed with me, and you did. We'd have to have been idiots to talk to you again.
    MediaWiki developer, TWC Chief Technician
    NetHack player (nao info)

Risen from Prey

Check your PM box, Sim.

And my memory fails me. Was that the replace-Archer-with-TBN deal?

Was that the replace-Archer-with-TBN deal?
    Yes it was.

Ah, I had forgotten about that.

Here's something to refresh your memory of that event - The Helios: Political Special Edition. It was the first (and last?) content oriented hit job in TWC history.

Lusted's Avatar Look to the stars

Quote Originally Posted by Mimirswell View Post
    Here's something to refresh your memory of that event - The Helios: Political Special Edition. It was the first (and last?) content oriented hit job in TWC history.
    See now that thread just brings back memories of this one for me:

The TWC Spam Party

I do remember supporting your removal Sim during those events in Jan 06, something I regret now as I didn't really know much about you at the time as I'd only really been involved in the Curia for a few months.

As for the rest of events, I can't really remember much about the October "Revolution", apart from the Knights of St. John, lots of MSN convos and the feeling of relief logging in one day to see the old staff had been reinstated.
    Creator of:
    Lands to Conquer Gold for Medieval II: Kingdoms
    Terrae Expugnandae Gold Open Beta for RTW 1.5
    Proud ex-Moderator and ex-Administrator of TWC from Jan 06 to June 07
    Awarded the Rank of Opifex for outstanding contributions to the TW mod community.
    Awarded the Rank of Divus for oustanding work during my times as Administrator.

Quote Originally Posted by Lusted View Post
    the Knights of St. John
    (Remember the reason for the name?)

Hilarious times, them threads Sim has dug up are hilarious too, if you read them now.

Evariste's Avatar We are one, we are many

I had a special podcast ready for when the Total War Horde website actually launched telling people to go there. I'd have put up some fake description about what was in it and then bam.

This is all after the fact, I guess.

Never say never. Why do you think you've seen an impressive growth in content staff since i took over?
    TWC Divus

in patronicvm svb Garbarsardar patronvm celcvm qvo,Professor420et Amroth et Jones King
    Publius says: oh please, i love talk about trans-special mating. sends a gentle tickle down the back of my spine
    MarcusCorneliusMarcellus says: i sucked at exams, but was considered the best lawyer in the class, because I could always find the hole
    Evariste says: I have huge, feminine breasts and I love them

Quote Originally Posted by Evariste View Post
    I had a special podcast ready for when the Total War Horde website actually launched telling people to go there. I'd have put up some fake description about what was in it and then bam.

This is all after the fact, I guess.
    So we would have heard your Ryan Seacrest like voice saying:

"All right all you ladds and ladies, for all your total war news go to ...".

Finish the story please Archer.

(*Disappears again).

Legio's Avatar EMPRESS OF ALL THINGS
    Content Emeritus

More, please.

Civitate

Quote Originally Posted by gigagaia View Post
    Why do you think you've seen an impressive growth in content staff since i took over?
    So....you used me?

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast