Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: The Rise and Fall of the Last Emperor of TWC

Default Re: The Rise and Fall of the Last Emperor of TWC

Quote Originally Posted by Mimirswell View Post
    Here's something to refresh your memory of that event - The Helios: Political Special Edition. It was the first (and last?) content oriented hit job in TWC history.
    I would just like to point out that the article linked happened a long time ago and was motivated by Hex politics which i found out wasn't In Sim or my best interests. It is possibly the only political move I have come to regret and would like to point out that the content in the article is in no way a reflection of Sim's conduct within staff.

I reserved the place for it, paid the fee for the tab (47 dollars, IIRC) for a placeholder and begun to think about how to go forward, because I felt, this place is getting out of the yoke it has been stuck in and Belisarius can correct me on this (if he still has any chatlogs or memorized it) , but I had a vision of stepping down from being the webmaster and becoming a network admin, to deal only with technical aspects running the forum (much like Simmetrical right now) and stay out of the politics and administration of the forum.
    This is true.

Also, as I remember, when I resigned the last thing I did was recommend WBK to replace me as mediator, which as far as I know he did.
    Last edited by Belisarius; December 21, 2008 at 11:46 AM.
    Well, if I, Belisarius, the Black Prince, and you all agree on something, I really don't think there can be any further discussion.
    - Simetrical 2009 in reply to Ferrets54

Quote Originally Posted by Aristocrat View Post
    So we would have heard your Ryan Seacrest like voice saying:

"All right all you ladds and ladies, for all your total war news go to ...".

Finish the story please Archer.

(*Disappears again).

Nahh..I don't have the time , energy, motivation (basically anything that required to finish the story )to mess around with this.

Instead, send me a questionnaire or something...mail me with interview questions..whatever is burning in your mind, questions...and so on. I'm too old.

Quote Originally Posted by HorseArcher View Post
    Nahh..I don't have the time , energy, motivation (basically anything that required to finish the story )to mess around with this.

Instead, send me a questionnaire or something...mail me with interview questions..whatever is burning in your mind, questions...and so on. I'm too old.
    Oh please Grandpa... we'll go to the Tobacconists' for you and everything!
    'When people stop believing in God, they don’t believe in nothing — they believe in anything. '

-Emile Cammaerts' book The Laughing Prophets (1937)

Under the patronage of Nihil. So there.

Harry Lime's Avatar Not a ToS violation
    Artifex took an arrow to the knee

Quote Originally Posted by Markas View Post
    Oh please Grandpa... we'll go to the Tobacconists' for you and everything!
    To be fair to the old man, he's done exceptionally well to post the amount he did. I've been on staff 18 months and do you know how many memories I have? Three! Standing in line for a movie, having a key made, and typing this post to you.
    Proud Patron of derdrakken, dave scarface, J@mes & irishron
    Indulging in the insight & intelligence of imb39

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
    To be fair to the old man, he's done exceptionally well to post the amount he did. I've been on staff 18 months and do you know how many memories I have? Three! Standing in line for a movie, having a key made, and typing this post to you.
    wow..It must be utterly boring to be a staff member these days.

At my time, we had daily drama.

During the sacking of the staff members, I stayed up through the night arranging stuff here.

Then you made me stay up my night.
    Well, if I, Belisarius, the Black Prince, and you all agree on something, I really don't think there can be any further discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by Belisarius View Post
    Then you made me stay up my night.
    For the love of God and/or country, who was the brave admin who admitted Belisarius again to be a moderator?

Senno's Avatar C'est la Vie.
    Civitate

To be continued...
    /cough.

I've talked to a lot of members that enjoy reading the old history of the site, so if there's the time, and you are motivated....

....so Anyway...

Ok, next part, I'll be writing about the absence of the ON and how they came back and informed me on the chat, that they were about to delete TWC and disolve the entire OgresNet by the end of March, 2006
    Alright...I got some time, but no more than a few minutes, so bear with me..let me remember.

This is in a nutshell though...my memory is fading, time is flying..

So anyway Mithras came back and I asked him what's his plans from now on, are there any updates to come or re-design etc.., but instead he says, that the site will be wiped away, since ON has no more interest to maintain the place (or the server space) so I can have the site transfered to wherever I want to....if I wanted it.

So ..all about this, it was only me who knew on the entire site for about 2 months..I told nobody else, that this place is going bye-bye..but at the same time I tried to come up with a plan to save it.
    So I went to godaddy.com and I registered a space on the server, costed me $47 from my pocket and I sent an email to Mithras, that whenever he is ready, the space is now available and instead of deleting the site, just transfer it over to my account and then I'll figure out what's next. I had the root password already and I had access to every single thing from ON so I was just waiting for a reply.

Instead of that..one day Mithras comes back and tells me they have change of plans and they are going to keep TWCenter, which was sort of shocking a bit and I felt like "where is my 47 dollars, I want it back"..but instead of asking it back, I had an entirely different idea.

I decided, I just can't rely on them anymore. So I figured that I'm just gonna hijack the place, if they switch between life-or death so easily, I figured, they wouldn't even inform anyone if the site would really get deleted, so I had the plan to keep the space available and if there is a good indication, that they won't keep this place anymore, I will transfer the files myself or ask someone to help me out. I think I did talk to either Symmetrical about this or someone else, I can't remember, if they have the experience dealing with this sort of stuff, since I was still a noob about file transferring on a server, let alone attempting a "hijack" at a particular time.

Anyway..nothing happened, but I was kinda dissatisfied with this whole thing and I just had the thought that this place will never go anywhere, if the ON just jumps in and out with 3-4 months of not showing up at all and tries to tell everyone what is up and how things should be.

I sort of lost all motivation to continue on and I was very frustrated at the same time and I tried to come up with something..what can be done. I have read into some other forums...which were once under Ogresnet (I think it was a very popular Half-Life forum) and I have read through what they gone through in order to "liberate" the forum from ON and what the webmaster had to go through along with denying acces to the ON network-admins, once they detached the forum from their grip. (Hey, no Offense to ON..if they are still around, I'm just saying how things are)
    I think, it's fair to say, that most senior members were never really on a friendly terms with ON, especially after Siblesz era, and how things were changed during the "exodus" of the seniors, all with Boris and Belisarius and the Black Prince and some others, who have returned at a later point, but were never as loyal anymore, and of course, they didn't trust me either, which is fine... (lol!) .

Ok, so basically nothing changed..but I got a few kicks around from the network admins.....especially after noticing how the Curia was still running things and was a significant thing related to moderators and policy making etc...so I was basically told that "You are the webmaster, do something".
    So what I did at another later point was, that I made the Curia invisible through the admin screen, which of course immediately caused outcries and picketing, but I knew that would happen, tried to just go along with , since I was frustrated myself. I kinda suspected, that real owner (Ogre) didn't really know what was going on on the site, not much he cared, so the real controllers were always Mithras and the other guy, and they did things on their own behalf , they were in real control, Ogre was just somebody who wouldn't really show up much anyway.
    Back then, I was enjoying full power as the webmaster "Basilicus" or whatever it's called , basically there was no sharing of all my powers to anyone and I was instructed to do so, it has little to do with me (or what I wanted).
    Anyway, so I knew my mods and half-admins weren't really satisfied with many things..not that I could help them anyway. If I step down, someone else gets the title of a full webmaster and nothing is really changed really , since he or she would just become a tool , a "yes sir" for the network admins, who don't even show up for 4 months and yet you gotta run this bloody place with all the requests and whatnot, while keeping in mind, that you aren't really in control, but a servant of higher powers.

So through the following months, I wasn't really the same anymore, although i made some controversial friends...such as Honor&Glory, who was kicked around quite frequently on various forum sections for saying whatever the hell he was saying, and I'm just such a person that I don't like people put out as a target practice, regardless of what they say or do. Of course HG felt that he found a good ally, and that ally was actually the webmaster TWC and we started chatting on MSN about all sorts of things etc. Belisarius long friend of mine was also present, but I don't remember him ever chatting with HG, he was more of just a friend, telling me about the Maltese experience of chasing Russian tourist girls and whatnot, while I was telling him about the Hungarian experience regarding girls and exes. With HG though..I talked about the forums and members and how things were going on TWC and how the politics and the Curia effects everything, even down to individual levels as a member TWC and what that means etc etc..

alright....to be continued at a later time...don't know when.. , when HG befriends the Ogre and ON hires another guy (can't remember his name) to be made a new network admin, and at a certain point I will get advised, that the Staff will be removed at once and I asked to return, after my own demotion from the staff to a basic member, which happened not much after the first revolt on TWC.

imb39's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    Patrician Citizen spy of the council

I think you are trying to recall a certain Meiyogen...

All interesting and it is certainly filling in some holes in my knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by imb39 View Post
    I think you are trying to recall a certain Meiyogen...
    Oh Bingo! Yeah he sounded as a nice guy and so on, but since he came from the outer circles of the twcenter galaxy, most people lacked trust in those sort of people..can't blame it though...the process of the Curia -raised moderators were senior members of the forums with many posts and friends under their belt.

Back then, I was enjoying full power as the webmaster "Basilicus" or whatever it's called , basically there was no sharing of all my powers to anyone and I was instructed to do so, it has little to do with me (or what I wanted).
    Oh I remember, it was "Basileus"

Patron of Felixion, Ulyaoth, Reidy, Ran Taro and Darth Red
    Co-Founder of the House of Caesars

Nole4694's Avatar Procrastination Power!

Wonderful read dude, some of it is confusing because you don't go into too much detail but still... great stuff.

I love history, and its cool to learn about all this. I really hope you finish.

(btw about the last chapter, didn't you already talk about that? a couple chapters ago? See now I'm really lost lol)
    God Save The King
    Gosse Durrant - Baron of Huntington - 24

Former contributor to the
    Go on! Take a look at their latest issue!

Under the patronage of the Black Prince

You had told me about the wipe Archer and the gamesradar (w/e it was called almost buying the site, I also remember you pissed about the 45 Dollars lol.

We've formed a club in the History Section and we're going over old MSN logs and stuff and catching up, wanna join?

You had told me about the wipe Archer and the gamesradar (w/e it was called almost buying the site, I also remember you pissed about the 45 Dollars lol.

We've formed a club in the History Section and we're going over old MSN logs and stuff and catching up, wanna join?
    Yeah, Archer you should definitely get into the TWC History Society and contribute some of your knowledge. To join just apply to join the 'TWC History Society' user group in your account.

Patron of Felixion, Ulyaoth, Reidy, Ran Taro and Darth Red
    Co-Founder of the House of Caesars

I posted a cool MSN log there Archer, its private dont worry

Quote Originally Posted by Nole4694 View Post
    Wonderful read dude, some of it is confusing because you don't go into too much detail but still... great stuff.

I love history, and its cool to learn about all this. I really hope you finish.

(btw about the last chapter, didn't you already talk about that? a couple chapters ago? See now I'm really lost lol)

I'm lost too! Age is getting me already.. I don't remember small details anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Justinian View Post
    Yeah, Archer you should definitely get into the TWC History Society and contribute some of your knowledge. To join just apply to join the 'TWC History Society' user group in your account.
    LOL, for crying out loud! I'm just peaking in! And looking at the hot chicks in your avatars instead!

You dont have to do anything, just hang out and look at my avatar

Senno's Avatar C'est la Vie.
    Civitate

What is in the water in the Magnanimous House of Siblesz that creates "vilified" administrators?

Simetrical's Avatar Former Chief Technician
    Patrician

I still have all my MSN logs from that era too, for what it's worth. Just read through some with Ogre and Besim . . . mostly them bothering me with tech questions, or vice versa. But man, I have loads more. I looked through my logs with Justinian and found, well, actually also mostly him bothering me with tech questions, but also a January 2007 log of lots of people getting together to form seditious plans against ON. It would take ages to look through all this stuff, though.
    MediaWiki developer, TWC Chief Technician
    NetHack player (nao info)

Risen from Prey

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast