Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The 17th TWC Helios

Tom Paine's Avatar Mr Common Sense
    Patrician

Silver Spring, Maryland (inside the Beltway)

Default The 17th TWC Helios

Political Mudpit by [user]Seneca[/user]
    Arts by [user]-BulletproofTurban-[/user]
    Athenaeum by [user]Feliks[/user]
    Circus Maximus by [user]Darkragnar[/user]
    Ludus Olympus by [user]Melboy[/user]
    Thema Devia by [user]Shaun[/user]
    Despatch from the Curia by [user]Tom Paine[/user]
    TWC Wiki by [user]Scorch[/user]
    Page 3
    Editorials

Welcome to the Helios, folks; a veritable cornucopia of delights we have an all-star cast writing for us, as usual, although with no new things this time. To open, Seneca on the Mudpit;
    Political Mudpit
    Click to view content: 
    State of the Political Morass

Its an exciting week those pesky muslims americans russians have stirred up a hornets nest again. The mudpit is aflame, its a no mans land and a brave man that ventures in. India is suffering terror, Iraq is as much a mess as ever and the hulking lumbering old communist monolith is stirring.

Ron Paul the only hope for America?

A libertarian or a minarchist? Who can tell the difference and how much of it does he mean. As usual I can't see Manure in the dungheap when it comes to American politics.

All initiation of force is a violation of someone else's rights, whether initiated by an individual or the state, for the benefit of an individual or group of individuals, even if it's supposed to be for the benefit of another individual or group of individuals.
    Ron Paul

Twin blasts in India gets an apathetic TWC reaction

Has the population become so desensitised to death that we can't get worked up about this, when it happens in the UK there are 20 threads spawned in a matter of hourse. So far it is rather morose but quiet. Being x thousand of miles away involving non western people tends to mute our reactions. Sad but true.

Thou shalt give equal worth to tragedies that occur in non-English speaking countries as to those that occur in English speaking countries.

Atheists, miserable bunch and ugly to

It seems to me that this particular section of the TWC Forums is LOADED with a bunch, huge bunch, of bitter and pessimistic atheists.

How did they become that way?
    Thankfully the answer wasn't long in coming:

Quote Originally Posted by TheKwas
    It's obviously because Satan has corrupted our souls and made us do abortions in our spare time.
    Fortunatly the part time aborting and kitten thrashing gave me plenty of money for antidepressants

Faith is the commitment of one's consciousness to beliefs for which one has no sensory evidence or rational proof. A mystic is a man who treats his feelings as tools of cognition. Faith is the equation of feeling with knowledge. "

-Ayn Rand, Russian-born author (1905-1982).
    (The Fountainhead)

Thats all folks
    Seneca

Next up we have the new employee BpT writing on the Arts section of the fora with his excellent style and panache;
    Arts
    Click to view content: 
    Thanks Tom, the entertainment field is as fastpaced as ever, luckily I'm here to slow things down a bit and highlight the buzz. First up is Annaeus' 300 or Gladiator? thread. The question is asked, which movie was better? The majority of TWCers overwhelmingly voiced support for Gladiator over 300. Eric summises the sentiments:
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric
    300 was a very entertaining film, but Gladiator was far superior. Better acting, better storyline, far better dialogue.
    Fifty people think Gladiator was a better overall movie than 300, praising Gladiator for its' good story and acting and bashing 300 for its' lack of substance.

Next up is Destraux's List Movies Depicting 18c warfare thread. Surprisingly enough, Master & Commander seemed to take top honors with Sharpe(tv series) and The Three Musketeers(in its' many incarnations) taking a close second. Grand Duke Vytautas comments
    Quote Originally Posted by Grand Duke Vytautas
    Yes, I loved Master and Commander! Russel Crowe just suited very well for the captain and the feel of era and mood were so immerse
    Russel Crowe is drinking, sailing, makin' movies, makin' songs and fightin' round the world! *toot!* *toot!*

Kiljans Which is better Star Trek or Star Wars? thread wishes to put the feud to rest, at least on TWC, as star wars pulls predictably and comfortably ahead in the polls. Lord Rahl is astute enough to point out that
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Rahl
    Kirk gets laid
    Despite the obvious appeal of space pimping, TWC seems to agree that the Star Wars universe is more interesting, with better weapons, better battles and a more engrossing story.

Last is Noble Savage's Crimes Against Music thread. The usual suspects like Britney Spears, N'sync and Avril Lavirgne and Shirley are mentioned, but things heated up when the inevitable rap bashing begun. The Mango55 states
    Quote Originally Posted by The Mango55
    Rap itself is not a crime against music, but pop rap most definitely IS!
    This reporter agrees that more of a distinction needs to be made. However, Prarara the Great has the honor of culminating the argument.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pra the Groovemeister of Zaire
    if you're a music fan, you know the kind who actually likes music, then you should probably like or at least appreciate rap. Not the blatantly commercialized rap (give me 50 cent over any popularized glam rock, or sell out emotional core band any day still), but A Tribe Called Quest, Pete Rock, EPMD were movements into the evolution of jazz, funk, and the blues. The fact that the poor of the inner city could take their own culture and spit out something new, progressive and inventive shows the greatness of rap.
    Thats the buzz in the field this week, and thats the way it was, and thats the way it shall be. Back to you Tom!

Thanks for that, BpT. From the arts to the sciences, from BpT to Feliks, we move swiftly onwards now;
    Athenaeum
    Click to view content: 
    I’ll start off with a collection of interesting articles that I have affectionately dubbed “Athenaeum Fiction”, let’s hope that these go over better than that whole “Lunar Colonies by 1980 thing”:

Let Lunar4 teach you to fly in his Anti-Gravity Thread. Don’t worry, scroll down a bit and Simetrical will quickly ground you with unadulterated logic and technical terms. It would seem that a few of us had our heads a bit too high up in those clouds.

Undaunted, Lunar4 gives us another gem. Humans, it would seem, have an “innate ability to perceive the future”. He didn’t crack open a fortune cookie, nor did he deal out the tarot cards and tell me something ambiguous like that I “often think of others, but can be selfish at times” (that’s so me). He posted this convoluted graph displaying brain activity in an experiment which analyzed a simple wag of the finger.
    Is it true? And if so, will humans exploit this apparent gift?
    How should I know? I’m not a fortune teller.

Space Wolves also had a bit of sci-fi he thought might become a reality: Artificial Life, and no dancing Japanese Robot either. Genuine Life.
    The possibility of scientist creating a single cell from the ground up in 3 to 10 years. Lets just hope scientists don’t decide to “Play God then wash their hands off their creation”.

Now it’s time for science in perhaps its most abstract form: Paradoxes. Aetius poses his "unanswerable questions", and the good good people of the Athenaeum answer. Maybe we're just more clever than he gives us credit for. Here's the problem:

So lets say that an archer fires an arrow at a target.

Lets say it takes 1 second to reach the target.
    Now it will take .5 seconds to reach halfway to the target.
    It will take .25 seconds to a quarter distance to the target, ok?

Now this is the part that will blow your mind. We can keep dividing the second further and further and further. You come to realise that there are infinite moments in a second.

Now the final question is, if there are infinite moments in the second(which the arrow has to travel through all of them) how does the arrow ever reach the target? Because it obviously does.

Thats what I dont get. How can it travel through infinite moments in space/time and reach the target??
    And some of the more exemplary answers in the tread:

Originally Posted by catinwasher
    This is called Zeno's paradox, he invented it.

Calculus is one way of answering: “The sum of an infinite series need not be infinite.”
    In calculus an infinitesimal is supposed to be an infinitely small quantity, smaller than any quantity conceivable and yet not zero. It is not zero because continuous lines are regarded as being comprised of infinitesimals. However, in the calculation of a derivative – such as the velocity of a moving object at a certain point in time – an infinitesimal is treated as 'no quantity'.
    This process works in practice but is manifestly inconsistent.
    So using calculus may be a technically correct answer but I think it misses the point Zeno was trying to make.

Zeno's problem strikes at the heart of mathematics. Is maths 'the establishment of exact truths concerning the abstract world of ideas' or rather 'a pragmatic series of useful techniques for solving problems'?
    To me maths is a language used to symbolise the universe but it can do so only imperfectly because the universe is 'non obvious'.
    No evidence can exist for continuity of reality as your knowledge of reality must be expressible in a finite amount of information – it is an assumption that reality is continuous.
    Language is no less imperfect as a means of representing reality than maths. Words are symbols too. Infinite and finite are words that represent properties in the material world.
    Zeno is not wrong in his central theme that the motion of the arrow is illusory. Maths, language, even conscious experience are imperfect means of representing reality.
    Originally Posted by Niccolo Machiavelli
    I was in a hurry to get to work, therefore my rather short comment.

Another way to disprove it would be the consideration that at each point in time t, the arrow is in a location s(t). At the next timepoint t'>t, the arrow is in s(t'). The velocity v = (s(t') - s(t)) / (t' - t) is equal for all t' In an inertial reference frame. Therefore at each location s(t') at a given timepoint t', also the constant velocity v is present.

But as others have pointed out, the problem at hand lies within his lack of a concept of the limit of a function, either because Zenon wasn't aware of it or he successfully exploited this limitation. Although his intentions weren't passed down, I would agree with those given above to be most likely to be correct.
    You can decide for yourself, but I'm willing to lay this issue to rest.

~Feliks

Now whilst most of us play Total War, we also play other games, and want to talk about them; here to report on that talk is Darkragnar, on the Circus.
    Circus Maximus
    Click to view content: 

This might be a little out of my area of coverage but hell im going to start the article with it anyways, as undoubtedly everyone on the site now knows that CA have announced the next Total War Game, Empires- Total War. The New game is going to be based on the Pre-Napoleonic era and will have full 3d-naval Battles and almost the whole world to colonize, some key features that you might have missed, from the .com site.

• The game is set in the years 1700 to the early 1800’s, a turbulent age of gunpowder, revolution, discovery and Empire Building. This period has all the ingredients for a great Total War title: fascinating changes in warfare and its technology, a large number of competing factions hungry for power, and gloriously exciting and colourful battles. This is a time when an old world is being swept away at a tremendous rate by the juggernaut of the industrial age. Revolutionary ideas are in the air, and at least one monarch meets a bloody end!

• Empire: Total War will be the greatest and most awe-inspiring Total War experience ever. This is a total revolution of the Total War series, featuring a brand new graphics engine and technology. The new, advanced graphics engine will include staggering real-time seascapes, new advanced landscape and flora systems, dynamic weather and new battle choreography and occupy-able and destructible battlefield buildings.
    • Against a backdrop of key historical themes such as the French Revolution and the American War Of Independence, the player’s aim is to create the greatest Republic or Empire the world has known, spanning not just a continent but the world! Can you hold on to lands in the New World, or establish a rich trading empire in the Indies?
    • Empire: Total War’s revolutionised graphics engine will be put to work on land battles that will feature heavy artillery in the form of cannons, mortar and early rocket launchers, with bouncing cannonballs slicing through drifting gunsmoke to tear up lines of infantry. Bagpipes, drummers, flautists and trumpeters will fill the air with play out over the crack of musket fire, the boom of artillery and the thunderous charge of cavalry. Generals will bark out orders to their regiments as the player orchestrates the battle utilizing formations, unit abilities and drills. Weapons will jam and misfire, cannons will seize up and explode as the field of conflict becomes strewn with the bodies of wounded and dying men, lacerated and dismembered by pike, bayonet and shot.

These are some of the Features , i havnt posted them and if you want to check them all you can go Here for more information.

There is an extensive Sub Forum already present for Empires Total War, if you want to go and discuss about the game , click Here.

In other Circus Maximus News , another Sub-Forum has been added to it and this time around its about the Warhammer Universe, The Sub-Forum houses the Potentially Massive Warhammer 40k RPG, Its an Story driven multiplayer sessions set in the 40k Universe and using the game Dawn of War and its shaping up pretty nicely with its story archs and plots while involves a whole lot of races, head over the sub-forums (Click Here) and check the rpg out, atleast if nothing they got a nice sig for it.

The Demo for Medal Of Honor Airborne is out and according to most of the lads its smashing fun to play. Medal of honor-Airborne is the next game in the Acclaimed Medal of Honor series , this time around you get to play and Airborne Ranger who before every mission jumps from a plane and has the option to land anywhere on the battlefield , which does wonders for the open endedness of the game. Airborne is comming out on August 28 so play the demo now folks and you buy the game real soon.Do head over to the Circus Maximus Thread (Click Here) about it to share your experiences with us all

In other News , Westwood..oops...EA have announced an Expansion pack for the latest Command And Conquer Game , called Kane's Wrath. The New expansion sees the Evil Mastermind return badder than ever , this time the expansion will focus mainly on the Brotherhood of Nod which is divided into 3 parts and each part has a different feel to it, like The first will cover the aftermath of the Second Tiberium War. The second will cover a parallel story to the events in Command & Conquer 3. The third and final act will extend to the future and involve Kane's "ascension.". AS with any new expansion it will see some new units for all the sides , but what makes this differ is that you'll go into the past and fight with C&C 1 units in that time with updated graphics.

From simulated exertion to real exertion, or at least the spectating thereof, Melboy is representing the sporting contingent of TWC in all its glory;
    Ludus Olympus
    Click to view content: 
    Well, after my absence in the last issue, due to a combined effort of laziness and tiredness due to flying, I'm back and diminuitively better than ever. I'm once again prowling around the Ludus like a scavenging wolf, mutilating and chewing only the best sporting threads. In the immortal words of Bender the Robot, let's commence preparations for rumbling!

The Super Pope's delightfully pessimistic thread "Which Premiership Manager will get sacked first" was my first port of call. What witht he premiership mere weeks in, it may not seem the opportune time to start naming names, but the TWC sport-a-roos seemed to have some opinions of their own.

In the eyes of Rhah and Gary88, Martin Jol would be unlucky to get the sack, but as Rhah points out, "The way in which the Tottenham board have acted is disgraceful." For those out of the know, Jol is on borrowed time from Tottenham's board members, and set with an ultimatum: gain champions league football for Spurs, or be replaced. Hopefully, however, this will secure his spot for the rest of the season, at least.

Also, with Wenger and Ferguson respectively 'dying' at their clubs, which they have indeed been managers of for as long as I can remember, opinions seem split. As for the real outcome, we can only wait and see...

Alas for the Americans of TWC, as I am a British Helios writer and therefore focus mainly on the sports I know and understand. However, in an act of good faith and after several friendly bribes, I decided to cover the Superbowl: Pick 'em thread. My total incomprehension of the rules of American Football may show through, but...heyyy, whatcha gonna do?!

the_mango55 started the bidding, picking the San Diego Chargers over the Carolina Panthers. Arrington seconded the Chargers, as did Justinian and barnabyJones, a trend that continued well throughout. Several wildcards were thrown in, but it seems that if they were to get through on faith alone, San Diego have a damn good chance purely from TWC's support...

After covering nothing about tennis in my last article except the highly lewd "Wimbledon Babes" thread (which I won't bother hyperlinking...), I reckoned the tennis fans out there might appreciate coverage of the US Open thread. Armed with my trusty keyboard, my reporters hat and trenchcoat and a shopping trolley of free tennis stuff, I purged my way in.

Roshak opens by stating his belief Federer will be in the men's final, hands down, but believes the opposing spot has been busted wide open by Nadal's slight decrease on hard courts. Gary88 deperately reiterates his opinion that the pretty ones lose to the moose-faced players, but amongst fans he is quitely ignored.

It seems to me the great Tennis championships deteriorate every year; the old greats like Becker and Agassi don't seem to be being replaced by fresher, sprightlier players. Where has all the shouting at the umpires gone?! The smashing of raquets over players' feet?! The mindless violence in the courts when someone wins or loses?! A travesty...a travesty...

I then ventured into the murky waters of "Netherlands and Baseball", where Blaven implores the baseball nuts of TWC to confirm whether baseball is a popular pasttime in the Holland. Apparently it is, with 8 teams in the chuckle-worthily named "Honkbal Hoofdklasse". However, baseball never really caught on in Europe, with the already popular games of Cricket, Softball, Rounders and Nude Beach Volleyball smash hits. For all us Europeña Coladas care, we'll keep out Nude Beach Volleyball, thank you very much!

So, to eliminate the danger of rambling on so long someone actually bothers to get up and go play a sport, which of course, is quite preposterous, I bid you farewell. Good luck to all the Premiership supporters, the Tennis fans, the Baseball nuts and the Rugby rioters. For more sporting action in a fortnight's time, tune into...the Helios!

What's the heart of the non-TW community, though? Well, of course, its the Thema Devia, and so here is Shaun's article on that very matter!
    Thema Devia
    Click to view content: 
    So without further ado I would like to get on to my second Helios report on the Thema Devia. Hope you enjoyed the last one, because this one will follow much the same, if not identical, format.

So, we have a new edition to the wide range of Thema Devia stickies now: the chat thread!

Quote Originally Posted by imb39
    Yes folks, TWC now has a chat thread. Enjoy!

This shouldn't be pinned - it lives and dies on the basis of its being used!
    Yes, indeed, we do! Although no one seems to have listened to the second part …
    Only four days old, it already has around four hundred replies. The premise of the thread is simple: just keep a chat going … as long as it is within the rules, that is.

Now, for another new edition to the stickies: Helios Page 3 Submissions thread. Again, the premise of this thread is simple, post pictures which you think deserve to be in page three of this excellent publication. However, we have decided on no naked torsos of TWC members, much to my, and other writers, dismay. Shame that.
    This, from Atterdag, is more what we are looking for;

Very beautiful, indeed. So, if there is anything that you would like to see in page three of the Helios, you know where to post it!

Now, how do you drive a car? Well, that is exactly what Empire asked.

Quote Originally Posted by Empire View Post
    hey, guys, i wanna learn how to drive a car, im 17, but my mom won't let me until im 18, so before that, i wanna learn how to drive a car, just tell me the basics about how to drive a car, also, parts in the car, like what does a brake do? stuff like that,
    i know nearly nothing about cars
    so any thing would be great,
    please help
    Well, my advice in this case is to get lessons! You cannot simply learn to drive a car without driving a car first. Definitely got some lessons, no other way to learn. But, if you really do not want to get lessons, then Boofhead has kindly posted some basics:

ome real basics:

*Brake - fluid forced the brake pads to slow or stop your wheels
    *Accelerator - increases your speed - opens your carbie
    *Clutch - changes the gear ratio in your gearbox likes gears on a bicycle
    *Battery - you need one of these to power your starter motor, lights etc
    *Radiator - the thing at the front of your car - needs fluid to cool your motor
    *Oil - it is needed in your engine to keep everything moving - you need oil
    *Spark-plugs - the sparks ignite the fuel/air mix and the explosion forces your motor's cylinders up/down which in turn turns a crank shaft which in turn turns the cogs in your gearbox which in turn via the axle etc turns your wheels. You need spark plugs.

There are other things: but there you go for an absolute beginner.

Yes - get lessons on driving, and find out how to maintain your vehicle.
    How you got a personality disorder?

Quote Originally Posted by Commander_Vimes View Post
    I think this is one of the other tests by the same people who did Dante's Hell So here is the link and try it out:
    http://www.4degreez.com/misc/persona...order_test.mv?
    I got:
    Disorder | Rating
    Paranoid: High
    Schizoid: Very High
    Schizotypal: Very High
    Antisocial: High
    Borderline: Moderate
    Histrionic: Moderate
    Narcissistic: Very High
    Avoidant: Very High
    Dependent: Very High
    Obsessive-Compulsive: High
    Well, take this test to find out. For the record, I am perfectly sane, if a little insane.

Now, anyone got tales of “Tales of an... eventful childhood”?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    Today, I sat on my porch enjoying the late summer weather, 15 years of age reflecting upon my childhood. And I must say, it was somewhat eventful. Eventful enough, that I think it merits some other people knowing of this childhood. I will begin at an occurance that will forever be burned into my Father and Mother's minds as "The Freezer Bag-Lighter Fluid Incident".

It was a hot June day, and my dad had had the bright idea to have a barbecue. We invited many of our neighbors and a few relations. Our barbecue then was a big, grand old brick affair that ran on coals. Unfortunately by father, God bless him, could never get the ratio of coals to lighter fluid just right. He'd light it, and it'd go out, he'd light it and it'd go out. Seven times this happened, and then my dad got angry. And when my father gets angry, he gets just a little bit... crazed. You could tell from the glint in his eyes as he went into the house and brought a big, plastic freezer bag and begin to fill it with lighter fluid. He filled it about 3/4 of the way full, then stood about a 8ft away and prepared to throw it onto the hot coals. My mother was terrified, and ordered the neighborhood kids, my young cousins and I to go into the house. Six of us clustered together in the kitchen and listened to hear what happened. And then my dad threw his bag onto the hot coal... You know, energy travels faster than sound, and maybe it was just my six-year-old eyes, but I swear to God that the kitchen windows buckled three inches inward. Then came a wave of hot air out of the open padio doors and this great sound, like something huge flying by us, this big FWOOOOSH!. In fact, I actually saw a big ball of flame up in the air from the kitchen window, like a mushroom cloud. In fact, in this day I am convinced that Dad knew Oppenheimer in his younger days, and got the idea from the Manhatten Project. Then there was stillness in our back yard, a tremendous silence as if all life in our neighborhood had been... vaporised. Finally, the silence was broken by my Dad saying the one word that described everyone's thoughts
    "Woah..."

And that was one of my most memorable childhood events, any others?
    I sure have got tales, but I am not telling them on here. Anyway, some interesting tales here. Be sure to post your own as well.

Now I would like to take you to a highly hysterical, if not entirely based on truth (although the Mimirswell/Garbarsardar conspiracy theory is true, though … but moderators are not ‘advanced forms of spammers’ – we have moved on now with new technology, and are currently developing an entirely new form of internet annoyance! And we have your IP addresses as well) TWC encyclopaedia! It really is worth a look. See if you are mentioned. If not, then post and ask to be mentioned.

However, it’s not to be confused with the TWC wiki.

So, what does your name mean? Well, sabaku_no_gaara wants to find out!

Quote Originally Posted by sabaku_no_gaara View Post
    find out here.

http://www.behindthename.com/

CHRISTIAN

Usage: English, French, German

Pronounced: KRIS-chen (English), KRISH-chen (English), krees-TYAWN (French), kris-TEE-ahn (German)

From a medieval Latin name that meant "Christian". This was the name of ten kings of Denmark. Another famous bearer of the name was Hans Christian Andersen, the Danish author of such fairy tales as 'The Ugly Duckling' and 'The Emperor's New Clothes'. In medieval England this was also a feminine name.

I'm confused, on another site it said my name came from Latin and ment "Christ Like"

so wich is it?
    My name is Shaun, which is the anglicised version of ‘Sean’, which is Irish for ‘John’. Bet you really, really wanted to know that, eh?

Naptownknight has asked for some diet advice.

Quote Originally Posted by NaptownKnight View Post
    Yes, I am a little fat (not chubby nymore, I'm now fat) and utterly disgusted with my self so I am loosing weight. I need help on the diet end of it, I have heard a wide range of advice from different people so far, from only eating one real meal a day to eating four small meals, I need help!
    My suggestion here is to do some research in google. There are a lot of people that may think they know what they are talking about, but in reality do not. These types of people are extremely common, mainly because the health industry is so big now. There are no miracle cures, no easy way nor any other valid advice except “eat less fatty foods and exercise more”. Really, join a gym, play a sport and eat less fatty foods and less high calorie foods. Simple, and repeated ad infinitum.

Now, other threads of interest:
    • If WW2 was an RTS – imagine if the likes of Hitler and Churchill were playing an RTS.
    • Meet the Empire Builders... – imb39 finds way to make Hex members even uglier, with the use of photo shopping their faces onto famous portraits.
    • Historical member you most resemble – resemble as in physically. For some that will be some sort of dirty barbarian. Not me, however.
    • The country quiz – which country are you? If you get North Korea then you may have slightly different view’s than the rest of us.

Ok, that was it. Bye!

Of course, for politics, and for spam, there's one place alone that many attend; thus, I write on the Curia for your delectation...
    Despatch from the Curia
    Click to view content: 
    Consilium de Civitate

Only 7 votes to go through on this occasion, a shockingly small number really to be honest; first the bad, two Disciplinary votes, one ending in an acquittal and the other in a non-permanent suspension in rank. On the other hand, we see 3 new members of the Citizen classes, and only one failure to gain entry thereto, plus one vote vetoed and re-opened by the Curator. All in all a slow fortnight.

Closed Votes

A raft of ratifications have passed, including sapi as Strategos, and Fabolous and Empress Meg Tribounoi; and Amendment changing CdeC requirements also passed muster, being voted into the Constitution, whilst an alteration to Opifex failed. Finally, the Curia decided to move the Coliseum; on passage of this vote, the Council acted on the will of the Curia and the Coliseum may now be found on the Front Page of the forums.

Ongoing Votes

If I may, I shall start with Curial navelgazing; gazing, in fact, at the navels of Garbarsardar (to see if he’s worth Opifex) and Archer (for apotheosis); we wish both of them luck.
    We also see a vote on University medals, for whilst we may be unable to award degrees, these will hopefully tide people over for now; and an alteration to the Scribes’ Quill in order to make it more accessible to Scriptores.
    Finally in vote terms there is an amendment to the ratification process, a vote with long and far reaching consequences and that must be watched with care.

Current Debates

The first debate to bring you is one with serious potential impacts upon all members of the Total War Center forums; Garbarsardar’s “latest in redefining ranks and opening the Curia” Bill, currently stalling despite support of the required number of members due to an absence of proposer. The debate on the Bill has been fierce, and from an originally rather more radical position Garb has compromised on a trial period before permanent enforcement of his Bill; whether this will occur remains to be seen.
    Next comes Simetrical’s Permanence of Honours Bill, allowing members who have resigned their citizenship an indefinite period in which they may ask for it to be returned along with any other honours (such as Opifex) that they held; a very good idea, given the nature of most resignations as heat-of-the-moment things with too-permanent consequences for some of the best members of TWC.
    The final debate I wish to cover has not really extended beyond the basic premise; pannonian proposed a Curial recess for 1 month, arguing that there was nothing to do; a variety of people have taken clear and basic objection to this on the simple grounds that it is, well, simply untrue. As such it is unlikely to ever get to the vote let alone be passed, thankfully.

Have a good fortnight and, good politicking!

Moving into other areas of the site than its forums, our Wiki article this Helios was written by the man who was at the time front-runner in the election for Editor, the Helios' very own Scorch!
    TWC Wiki
    Click to view content: 
    What's going on with the Wiki, eh? by Scorch
    Well, I've been asked by Ozy to write this Issue's wiki article, so I hope you guys don't mind too much.

For those of you that don't know, a wiki is basically a collection of articles that can be edited by anyone, based off the software used by Wikipedia. This is quite efficient, as it allows a lot of people to work coherently in order to make everything better.

So now you're interested, what information do we actually have on the wiki? Well, we have articles on all manner of things. We have articles on modding, all the Total War games, faction guides for those games, information about TWC, pages for different users and many other things.

If this interests you, then I suggest you read the guide to editing the wiki, register an account on the wiki, and then PM either myself, Serious samurai or Leonidas the Lion, and we'll show you some of the tasks you can get working on, if you'd like. We're always open to new contributors.

Now, an update on what's actually happening on the wiki. Well, with the announcement of Empire: Total War, a page on the wiki has come with it. It contains most (if not all) of the information that Creative Arts has told us, links to screenshots, concept art and various previews and articles, and is definitely worth checking out, if you're interested. Another one of the newest articles on the wiki include the page for Polemarchia: Total War, a 'Greek Era' modification for Medieval 2: Total War.

So, where are we planning to take the wiki in the future? Well, working closely with the Consilium Belli, we plan to work on updating many of the modding pages and making them more accessible, with the aim of providing a series of tutorials and lessons that would-be modders can complete, from beginner tutorials to advanced ones, in order to gain a mastery of the skills needed in different areas of modding. I'm also going to be working on the pages for many of the faculties of our Content Department here at TWC, such as the Helios, the Eagle Standard and many other publications.

So, I hope that's given you a good idea of what the wiki is, what is happening on it, and where it's looking to go in the future. Just to reiterate, if you want to help out with the wiki at all, feel from to pm myself, Serious samurai or Leonidas the Lion, and we'll gladly point you to some things that need doing.

Till next time, take care!

From Wiki to user-submitted imagery, the Page 3 comes now...
    Page 3
    Click to view content: 
    As usual, I had a hard time selecting the winner, and on this occasion was forced to pass over the boss by the sole better submission, that of [user]Bulgaroctonus[/user], a wonderful sunset image of Istanbuls' church-cum-mosque, the Hagia Sophia;

Beautiful, stunning, marvellous.

Now we finally draw to a close with the editorial section of this issue; only three this time, but that's life really.
    EditorialsWell, to start with I must thank those who gave me editorials, they were up to the usual stunningly fine standard I have come to expect; I fear I thank these writers too little. Anyway, here we start with Lord Rahl's introspection about his own life; what better subject for his editorial?
    Click to view content: 
    Lately I've been looking at my life, it all, and wondering what it all means. I don't mean the meaning of my life in a religious way, but in a sort of, what do I perceive my role in life to be and how do I want to live it sort of way. Recently I've seen glimpses of what I consider to be the right way but there never seems to be an easy answer to doing it. Over the last couple of years I've become very interested in history, ancient history primarily, and I'm always amazed how some of the world's greatest characters made their rise to glory, power, and thanks to history, immortality. When man had yet to discover basically the entire surface of the globe, the opportunities awaiting them were pretty much boundless.

In our modern era I do not find those same opportunities to be so. The world has grown up and as a result everything has very set and very limited boundaries. Ancient conquerers would exterminate entire cities without a second thought because it would teach those yet to be conquered peoples that resistance wasn't a logical or safe thing to do. Those sorts of atrocities would happen quite often but it wasn't considered an over the top decision. That is how the ancient world worked. Today the most supreme governments are held in contempt because they keep suspected enemies of the state prisoners. I am not trying to bring about any discussion or thought on the morality of these events. I simply wish to explain how the "civilized" world has "grown up". Traveling down the highway, anyone will see the streets full of shops of all sorts. Services are provided for anything whether they are needed or if they just provide a wanted commodity. In 1800's America cowboys traversed the barely molested and also yet undiscovered country. The world was open to their imagination and determination. The wants of their human selves were barely seen and rarely acted upon. The touch of a woman might not have come for months. Now all one has to do is to drive five minutes to alleviate their cravings for a bacon cheeseburger.

Is that type of living what I truly want to live for? Is satisfying my wants important to me? What is my current college education bringing me in my future? These are questions I think of from time to time. I get tired of sitting around watching movies every day and going to the bar often seeking willing women isn't going to give me the ultimate satisfaction of life either. What is there for me that would let me experience life through a new window? The undisturbed country is no longer there. Everything has been settled and built up. The adventure of life has been hampered by the evolution of civilized culture. This is where I come back to one thought I've had for sometime. I take the thought from the dusty corners of my conscience and bring it to the forefront of my own inward contemplation. The thought of joining the military has been considered by myself from time to time but no serious consideration has taken place. I wonder if joining the military would lead me to the corners of the world, to new and interesting places. Not the Banana Republic and Bed, Bath & Beyonds of this Earth, but the simpler and unembellished. I wonder if facing physical and mental hardships of which I have never experienced before would be more fulfilling than working the week and living off the limited life of the culture I was born and brought up in. I guess I will have to reflect more on my life and the opportunities which are ahead of me to do so.

Anyway, in a nutshell this is what I've been thinking about. Thanks for reading my friends,

LR

Now we move on to a more political article; Oldgamer, having thoroughly researched the subject, has dedicated this article to a sort of Clinton hatefest, but well written and well researched...
    Click to view content: 
    Oldgamer Reporting for Duty

Hillary Clinton, Saul Alinsky, and the Perpetual Revolution

As I stated in the last issue of the Helios, I'm proud of my country. One of the things that I'm most proud of is the fact that a person can come from humble origins and have the liberty to make of himself what he has the determination to do. My father was a master mechanic who owned a service station in Chicago. His determination was passed on to me.

Among many things, I've the honor to at least speak to, and to have known several Presidents of these United States. Among them are Presidents Nixon, Reagan, Clinton, and GW Bush.

During the Reagan Administration, I made a simple call to the White House Switchboard to express my support for one of the President's policies. I was asked to hold. After several minutes, a very familiar voice came on the line saying, “Hello?” It was Mr. Reagan, and I had “lucked out” by being one of several calls randomly picked that day to talk to the President. It was one of the few times I've stumbled through a phone call.

More recently, I had the opportunity to speak to President Bush for a few minutes, in the company of several other people. It was a brisk exchange of ideas, but meeting a President is always something to be proud of.

Many years ago, after President Richard Nixon left office, I wrote a letter to him. To my surprise, he responded, and we carried on several years of correspondence. Some of my prized possessions are correspondence that bear the letterhead "La Casa Pacifica, San Clemente, California". To this day, I am struck by his charm, his intelligence, and the lack of arrogance and hubris which has often been wrongly attributed to him.

Surprisingly enough, though ... for me, at least ... the President that I've known the best was Bill Clinton. If you're involved in politics to any degree in a small state like Arkansas, you will likely meet the governor, at some time. But I met him earlier, in 1974, during a formal debate. Later, when he was governor of Arkansas, I had occasion to meet and talk with him several times. Once, I even had one of his famous lunches at a McDonald's Restaurant, in Little Rock.

My impression of Bill Clinton was that he would have been much happier had he just been a good ole boy. For those of you from other countries, it's not easy to explain exactly what a “good old boy” is. In Mr. Clinton's case, I would say that a good ole boy is a fellow ... a blue-collar worker ... who labors all day in a chicken processing plant. When the day is over, he gathers with his buddies, kicks off his boots, turns on his Johnny Cash records, sips Coors (a brand of American beer featured in the movie Smokey & The Bandit), and plans exactly how he will “pork” most of the girls at the plant. He always owns a pickup truck, and very often lives in a mobile home. He will be a hunter and fisherman. Yep. Bill's a good old boy, at heart. And no one is more astonished at his place in the world, today, than him.

But I have also met his wife. Hillary Diane Rodham-Clinton is a different matter altogether. When you meet with her, you are struck by the coldness in her eyes ... quite different from her famous husband. This is a coldness that cannot be undone by a few hundred thousand dollars worth of make-overs, telling her to smile, to kiss babies, and so on. It is an integral part of her. You look at her, and you see that this is not the wife of a “good ole boy”. No one will ever catch her making cookies, though she does tolerate his philandering (which goes back to the 1970's). She is a true believer.

A believer in what, you may ask? And that is the rest of this story ...

To answer that question, I must tell you who Saul Alinsky is.

Saul Alinsky was an American radical who “wrote the book” when it comes to community activism. His idea was that the system should be changed by radicals ... not liberals ... working outside of the system. Perhaps it might do well to let his own words speak for him:

"Liberals in their meetings utter bold works; they strut, grimace belligerently, and then issue a weasel-worded statement 'which has tremendous implications, if read between the lines.' They sit calmly, dispassionately, studying the issue; judging both sides; they sit and still sit.

The Radical does not sit frozen by cold objectivity. He sees injustice and strikes at it with hot passion. He is a man of decision and action. There is a saying that the Liberal is one who walks out of the room when the argument turns into a fight.

Society has good reason to fear the Radical. Every shaking advance of mankind toward equality and justice has come from the Radical. He hits, he hurts, he is dangerous. Conservative interests know that while Liberals are most adept at breaking their own necks with their tongues, Radicals are most adept at breaking the necks of Conservatives.

Radicals precipitate the social crisis by action - by using power. Liberals may then timidly follow along or else, as in most cases, be swept forward along the course set by Radicals, but all because of forces unloosed by Radical action. They are forced to positive action only in spite of their desires ...
    The American Radical will fight privilege and power whether it be inherited or acquired by any small group, whether it be political or financial or organized creed.
    He curses a caste system which he recognizes despite all patriotic denials.
    He will fight conservatives whether they are business or labor leaders.
    He will fight any concentration of power hostile to a broad, popular democracy, whether he finds it in financial circles or in politics.
    The Radical recognizes that constant dissension and conflict is and has been the fire under the boiler of democracy. He firmly believes in that brave saying of a brave people, "Better to die on your feet than to live on your knees!"
    The Radical may resort to the sword but when he does he is not filled with hatred against those individuals whom he attacks. He hates these individuals not as persons but as symbols representing ideas or interests which he believes to be inimical to the welfare of the people.

That is the reason why Radicals, although frequently embarking upon revolutions, have rarely resorted to personal terrorism."
    The most powerful thing he ever said, for the purposes of this editorial was, “Pick the target, freeze it, personalize it, and polarize it. The real action is in the enemy's reaction. The enemy properly goaded and guided in his reaction will be your major strength. Tactics, like life, require that you move with the action."

http://www.fraw.org.uk/library/002/a...y_radical.html

Despising the “system”, including universities, Alinsky created his own program, including training academies, to teach people how to be community activists. Most of his own work was done in Chicago. He had many disciples, including Hillary Diane Rodham ...

In 1969, while I was fighting and almost dying for my country in the jungles of Southeast Asia, Mrs. Clinton was in her senior year at Wellesley College. Assigned a senior thesis, she chose one of her idols ... Saul Alinsky.

It should be noted that the Clintonista machine has ruthlessly struggled to keep her senior thesis out of the public's eye. Indeed, during the eight years of her husband's Presidency, everything that could be done was done to keep the thesis secret. http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17388372 The most important thing to realize about this thesis is that it is the secret to decoding Hillary Clinton, and that is very dangerous to her presidential prospects.

Entitled “There Is Only the Fight”, Hillary's senior thesis is a 92-page paean to Alinsky. You can read the entire text at: http://gopublius.com/hillary-clintons-wellesley-thesis . Had I been her professor, I would have given her an “A” for the work, because it is very well done and properly researched (when I was a university professor, I never let my personal differences with a student's politics to get in the way of objectively analyzing their work).

In her autobiography entitled Living History, she stated, “My senior year at Wellesley would further test and articulate my beliefs. For my thesis I analyzed the work of a Chicago native and community organizer named Saul Alinsky…I agreed with some of Alinsky’s ideas…but we had a fundamental disagreement. (Alinsky) believed you could change the system only from the outside. I didn’t.…my decision (to go to law school instead of training as an Alinsky organizer) was an expression of my belief that the system could be changed from within.”

This is the key to it all. This is why Hillary didn't accept Alinsky's personal invitation to her to train at one of his academies, and perhaps, inherit the whole structure, upon his death in 1972. This is why she didn't go to the Harvard Law School, to which she had been accepted. Instead, she chose Yale, a hotbed of radical politics, at the time. She wanted to change the system from within, instead of from the outside.

Indeed, to my personal argument that America has the richest communists and socialists the world has ever seen, she would probably state (and I have heard her do so, on at least a couple of occasions), “To change the system, we've got to have the power. Wealth is power ... it is a tool that can be used to effect social change.” It also allows the “radical” to live in splendor, and travel in private jets, but that's another editorial.

After graduation from Yale, Clinton went to the law firm of Truehaft, Walker, and Bernstein in Oakland, California. Two of the partners of this firm were communists, including Bob Truehaft, who was married to the communist Jessica Mitford. The firm was in the business of defending the Black Panther Party, among other radical groups. However, in her autobiography, there isn't a word about the radicalism of the firm.

But she doesn't completely suppress this period.

On July 23 of this year, Hillary said, “I have 35 years of being a change agent.” On January 27, she states, “Bill and I started a conversation 35 years ago about our country.” Indeed, in a 1993 Washington Post article defending nationalized health care, she said, “You know, I've been on this kick for 25 years.”

Interviewed this year, Alan Schechter, one of the emeritus professors of Wellesley College called the idea of Peggy Noonan that her senior thesis was the Rosetta Stone of understanding Hillary “moronic”. He goes on to state that “…she's not a radical at all. I think she's very mainstream. She's a pragmatist. She's a much more thoughtful, cautious, careful, pragmatic person…”. Of course, Shechter is carefully hiding the fact from the American public ... which he regards as “stupid” ... the fact that Alinsky constantly emphasized the application of pragmatism to radicalism.

In 2000, the late Barbara Olsen managed to get a copy of the thesis and stated, “Perhaps the most prescient part of the thesis is a quote from a profile of Alinsky in The Economist: ‘His charm lies in his ability to commit himself completely to the people in the room with him. In a shrewd though subtle way, he often manipulates them while speaking directly to their experience.”

You could easily have believed that she was speaking about her future husband ...

The campus radicals of the 1960's and 70's are an aging bunch, and they may see in Hillary their last chance to radicalize America. But if they expect her to create huge government bureaucracies, if she's elected President, to effect their wildest dreams, they are likely wrong. Hillary believes that, for example, President Lyndon Johnson's “Great Society” programs of the 1960's were a failure because they gave poor people a false sense of sharing the American dream. If a person shares that dream, he or she is not going to be radicalized. And the fight is everything, to her.

In the Washington Post, shortly after her husband became President, Hillary said, “I basically argue that Alinsky was right ...”.

Free-marketeers, like me, argue that social programs stifle individual economic intiative. To a certain extent, Hillary agrees with this, but for different reasons. To her, social programs create dependence, and that is an obstacle to the radicalization of poor people. Hillary believes that change and reform are spurred on by conflict. Since all good and great things come from government, should not government create conflict, also?

She argues, on page 10 of her thesis, that, “Alinsky claims a position of moral relativism, but his moral context is stabilized by a belief in the eventual manifestation of the goodness of man. … the main driving force behind his push for organization is the effect that belonging to a group working for a common purpose has on the men he has organized.”

Anyone who has ever listened to a socialist apologizing (in the technical sense of the term) for human-rights abuses in socialist countries will be familiar with the moral relativism that both Alinsky and Clinton are calling for. The end justifies the means.

On page 6 of her thesis, she argues that “A radical is one who advocates sweeping changes in the existing laws and methods of government. These proposed changes are aimed at the roots of political problems which in Marxian terms are the attitudes and the behaviors of men.”

This Presidential Candidate does not want to make laws or implement policy. She wants to change the human race and become the new “god” creating a new humanity. But how is the person who is considered by most Americans as the most polarizing figure in America going to do this? Once again, her thesis gives us an answer:

“…polarization between those who believed in him and those who denounced him as a hate-monger delighted Alinsky: ‘In order to organize, you must first polarize. People think of controversy as negative; they think consensus is better. But to organize, you need a Bull Connor or a Jim Clark.’”
    So, the purpose is not new laws, the implementation of those laws, or the stated “cause” of the movement.

“…the main driving force behind his push for organization is the effect that belonging to a group working for a common purpose has on the men he has organized.”

There is only the fight, in other words.

In her commencement address at Wellesley, in 1969 (while I started the long process of recovering from my wounds received at “Hamburger Hill”), Hillary said, “Every protest, every dissent… is unabashedly an attempt to forge an identity in this particular age. That attempt at forging for many of us over the past four years has meant coming to terms with our humanness.” She said this moments after launching into an impromptu verbal attack on Senator Edward Brooke of Massachussetts, the first black man elected to the Senate in more than a hundred years.

To be human, then, is to be part of the fight. The fight is for one's identity. The fight is to make everyone part of the fight. Perpetual revolution, for the sake of revolution, to forge one's own identity. Life flows, according to Hillary, not from God, but from the political system.

So, what will a Clinton Presidency look like?

First, it will not look like her husband's presidency. As stated before, Bill was just a good ole boy who wanted power for its own sake, and the perks that went along with it.

The true believer in radicalization, Hillary Dianne Rodham-Clinton, wants to use the power of the government to replace the much-weakened community action model of Alinsky (weakened by government actually doing something to help the poor).

Taxes will be increased drastically, but not because Hillary is a socialist bent on achieving social change through the transfer of wealth. They will be increased because it will hurt the US economy, and increase the number of unemployed and underemployed people in America. This will give the government the chance to create vast public works programs that will need ... not technology to solve them ... but muscle-power and bodies working for a pittance on the worksite. All of this will increase the chance to create more radicals in America.

There will be National Healthcare. But its purpose will not be to increase the health and wellbeing of the poor. It will be to destroy the greatest healthcare system in the world, which will actually harm America's healthcare system. If people are hurting, they are more likely to become radicalized.

But the most important thing in Hillary's spectrum of analysis is the notion of “federally-controlled planning”. On page 72 of her thesis, she says, “When one moves beyond the city and local issues, the idea of independent national organizing seems impossible. The Depression demonstrated the feasibility of federally controlled planning, and a massive war effort convinced us of its necessity.” So, the Great Depression and World War II were good things, from her standpoint. It made possible the massive application of federally-controlled planning to the social fabric of America.

Indeed, those who look forward to a era of world peace under America's first “woman President” may be in for a rude shock. Her critique of the War on Terror is that it is too limited in scope. It requires more aggressiveness. In other words, more federally-controlled planning. Expect a draft ...

Hillary Diane Rodham-Clinton ... achieve Power, set people against each other, and through the simple method of applying federally-controlled power to the conflict, create a new humanity.

Have I mentioned that I won't be a supporter of Mrs. Clinton in '08? ...

Postscript to the above editorial: While Bill Clinton was "studying" at Oxford, he started participating in anti-War rallies in Britian. Oxford was a center of anti-Americanism, at the time (it may still be ... these things tend to run in cycles, dependent upon whom the American people elect to the White House). During this time, he met Jessica Mitford, who I mentioned earlier as a communist activist. She encouraged him to spend Winter Break 1669-70 on a trip to Moscow.

He took her advice and stopped off, first, at Stockholm, which was a hotbed of Cold War espionage. Then, he went off to Moscow. On this "tour", he spent most of his time at the fabled Patrice Lumumba Friendship University, which is to say it was the place where the government of the Soviet Union trained foreign agents for the KGB. Upon his return to the UK, Clinton stopped participating in the antiwar demonstrations. He started organizing them.

His friendship developed with Jessica Mitford ... the same Jessica Mitford whose husband was a senior partner at the Law Firm that Hillary Clinton went to after graduation from Yale ... until he left Britain in the Summer of 1970, and he took her advice to attend the Yale Law School. It was at Yale that he had his "chance" encounter with Hillary Rodham in the Law Library, and the rest is ... history.

Did I say "chance"? ...

And finally a jointly-authored editorial, with many many pictures so, 56K users (if you still exist) beware; tBP and myself went to Manchester Pride 2007 and jointly authored this article on it. I hope you enjoy...
    Click to view content: 
    Manchester Pride 2007

Welcome ladies and gentleposters to a special edition of Queer Concern, live from Manchester Pride. That’s rights folks, I’ve abandoned the safety and security of the bedroom and PC and headed out into that scary place, the real world…

Oh, and I took the boss with me.

Yup, Squeakus tGS Ozy Tom and me have been out and about at one of the UK’s biggest Gay Pride festivals of the year, and here’s our combined report of what’s been going on.

First off though, I can’t write this kind o article without making at least one point, so I’ll reserve myself to saying (before Ozy steals the keyboard) that people have a lot of wrong impressions about pride… that its all about big parties alcohol and drunken men, or worse, just a parade… well yes, there’s some of that, it’s a massive gay party of course, and there is a parade… but there’s a lot more besides…. We’ve been up here for the big weekend, the highlight of Pride, but Manchester Pride is 10 days long this year, and we can’t spend all that time walking the streets in a massive carnival!

So before we get started on what we’ve been doing (drinking), and what we’ve seen (drinking), and what we’re going to finish by doing (drinking), here’s some of what we missed (drinking too)

Kylie – The Exhibition and also KylieMania at Manchester Art Gallery, Lesbian and Gay Heritage Trail, Make your own Kylie Pop products, a series of LGBT films, musicals and opera including the Wizard of Oz and Never Forget; Pride Games 2007 (Gay Olympics) and DYKEFEST07…

So what have we seen and done, if we missed all that? Well… drinking, all right, but other than that (More drinking!) we saw too many drag queens with deflating boobs and not enough nearly naked hot young guys (though there were some… yes, there is a photo gallery in here!); we saw some good music, a little great music and some music which was not entirely to our collective tastes (Heartbreak: music a zombie could dance to but no-one else wants to!)

Pride took over the entirety of Manchester’s Gay Village, and that’s a lot of space to play with… Room for two stages plus the village square, market and not to mention all the bars and night clubs. There was an entry charge to the village, with all profits going to local gay charities, but once you’ve got your access all areas wristband, there’s a wealth of things to see and do without ever setting foot outside the village (plus drinking).

Friday was, of course, the start of the cycle of drinking (us, drink? No, never!) and, erm, more drinking (if you hadn’t picked up on this article’s underlying theme) for all attendees; but the drink wasn’t the sole attraction of the day, of course. Cheese was also around, emanating from the Main Stage with the “wafting” fabulous music of Belinda Carlisle (some music you could actually dance to, were you drunk enough and still able to stand!) interspersing the interminable music of the DJ who had otherwise taken over the stage (Pride: a showcase for semi-talentless hacks; I mean, Gareth Gates got the Main Stage today). A rather good introduction to the weekend, really, albeit with fewer kilts and queens than there were later on.

Saturday was orientated more toward Dance Music events, both stages had dance acts lined up, and the overall theme was a massive party from about 2pm till 4am… a party that got started with the centre piece of the weekend, the Parade, right through the centre of Manchester…. Oh the beauty, the breathtaking stunningness of the exceedingly extravagant glamour on display!!! For more, see below. The parade ended up in the village of course, and the whole area was packed with party goers out for the time of their lives, and believe me the party was only just getting started. For the gay North West, this IS the party of the year, and people come from a lot further afield as well. More gay people than you can shake a stick at (or other phallic object of choice, on sale at reasonable prices – contact the editor) and if there were any straight people in the crowds, they must have been in a smaller minority than a Curialist on Staff!

I don’t feel I need to describe Saturday night in detail… just picture a massive street party in a street lined with bars, next door to a massive music festival, and cover the scene with rainbow flags and pink feather boas…

Sunday was a more relaxed event…. And didn’t really get started till the afternoon… I wonder why! Ozy and I took the opportunity to wander the gay street market, where pretty much anything could be bought, provided it was either rainbow coloured, pink, or black leather… clothes and jewellery were the main items for sale, along with a couple of stalls selling what can best be termed “accessories” and at least one selling everything a bear could need – I’ll let you picture that. Ozy liked the stall selling T-Shirts so much he bought a lovely bright pink one…. Picture enclosed… I’m not sold on it myself, but see what you think…

On the main stage was what was loosely termed “alternative music” a mix of gay punk rock and indie, and some other stuff best left to itself (zombie trance anyone?) The other stage was playing classical and big band music… though its definition of classical was probably a bit loose. It wasn’t a full orchestra, and they spent more time playing orchestrations and film scores than actual classical music, though I admit its music people know and enjoy more than some concerto know ones ever heard of. I much prefer them giving a very good attempt at the Pirates of the Caribbean film, ‘tis rousing! Of course, when we say film tunes, bear in mind this was a gay band at a gay event, so films included Mary Poppins (to which tBP sang along. And continued even after they’d stopped….) as well as the more traditional film music. We spent a good 6 hours that day flitting between the two stages, pausing only for donuts from a handy stall, and alcohol from my favourite bar on Canal Street (Via).

We promised that the Parade would be told of in all its colourful and pink glory; Union Fags (a personal term for adulterated Union Flags) abounded, along with the ubiquitous Rainbow Flags, whistles, hooters, horns and blowers. And that was just those watching! Leading the Pride came the police… marching all in step, 130 officers of the combined police forces of Cheshire, Greater Manchester and Merseyside, showing their colours, followed (of course) by the gayest exhibition in the North West on one of the least gay floats, with the staff of the Kylie exhibition coming out to play.

From one kind of glamour to another, the Gaywatch float hove into view; bearded ladies, or breasted gents, it was hard to tell which in some cases, until the breasts deflated or fell out, sponsored by Poptastic; behind this unattractive proposition came something rather more to our tastes, for which you can see the photographs (one hint… tasty…).

Not that we could hear what they were saying, the fire brigade were having fun playing with their sirens. A strong showing from Manchester’s finest, having fun and condemning smoking all from the same fire truck! Baa bar took part with a float appealing possibly more to tBP than myself, nubile young men strutting their stuff resplendently in black and pink hot pants; and then the gay bikers (in full Angels leathers), more to my tastes than his.

Having declined the invitation from the NUS LGBT campaign to join them on parade, I got to see some familiar faces under their banner, raising awareness of the plight of our brethren in glamour-forsaken Poland; although that was not the only awareness raising campaign, Amnesty International using big pink flags and a puppet to raise awareness of the equally terrible situation in Jamaica. One of the biggest and the best gay clubs in Manchester kept right up to theme with their usual extravagance, an “Essential!” showing by all accounts.

More unusual was the Salford Ladies United Temperance Society showing; with their signs and beards, and Victorian clothes, they were as stereotypical and Pythonesque as one would expect, they “have taken it upon themselves to protest once again at the sad decline in standards of public decency” by taking part in the Pride parade!

The Anglican Church made a surprise appearance, “marching for Jesus” according to their pretty, pretty signs. I guess we should never forget that the third largest gay lobby group in the UK is the Gay and Lesbian Christian Association, and that not all Christians are as homophobic as the Catholic Church.

Fabulous Glamour is of course always going to be on the cards when the float is queered by the Hollywood Studio Bar, living proof that simple white can still be flamboyant, though the less white the better…

The Base Youth project were making their stand against homophobia, and followed by The Probation Service, who were just out to have a good time by the looks of their float. The NHS were so adamant that they were proud to support pride they felt the need to say it with big pink letters and many many members, and were succeeded by Bolton Primary Care Trust with a float so decadent it was practically Roman!

The prison service turned up in uniform and out, with a colourful van but little to make them stand out (although… men in uniforms….) and Sparkle, probably my personal highlight of the Parade, with a bright pink tank with a large gun blowing bubbles into the crowd, and a few furry animals, and Selfridges turned out in (horrible) yellow as sponsors of Mr Gay UK, whose contestants and winner were also in attendance, wearing as little as possible.

So overall, what was Pride? Alcoholic and loud, but with a serious point to make. Somewhere. I can’t leave without bringing my themes back to bear though. Pride was once a statement, “We’re Here, We’re Queer, (so give us a beer)” and so on… The politics has largely left these events nowadays. We’re not throwing it in your faces, we’re not screaming for rights or equality, Pride is celebration, and a chance to have a party as only gay people can! You’re welcome to join us next year!

Tom Paine and the Black Prince

Addendum: The above conclusion was written by the Black Prince. However, he left to return home to Milton Keynes before the finale of Pride; the candlelit vigil for victims of HIV/Aids. This was the culmination of Pride; a sad, sorrowful affair, speeches and songs full of grief, and candles in the gloom of the park in which the Vigil was held. A total silence for a minute interspersed the emotional-laden speeches, songs and poetry, and at the close candles were laid in the earth, still burning, by men, women, children, for lovers, mothers, fathers, sisters, brothers, sons and daughters... This was the point of Pride, the awareness of HIV and the slogan "No Shame, No Blame, No Crime". I lit a candle, not for an individual - thankfully, I know none who have died of HIV/Aids - but for those for whom no other candle had been laid.

Tom

So, thanks for reading, and see you in a fortnight; now, go and rep my reporters, deserving of it even once more!

Scorch's Avatar One of Giga's Ladies
    Patrician

Default Re: The 17th TWC Helios

Huzzzah! Good issue boys.
    Patronized by Ozymandias, Patron of Artorius Maximus, Scar Face, Ibn Rushd and Thanatos.

The University of Sydney | Bachelor of Arts III (Majoring in Ancient History and Italian Studies)

I do not fear death. I had been dead for billions and
    billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it.
    - Mark Twain

Godless Musings: A blog about why violent fairytale characters should not have any say in how our society is run.

Men in drag? This is the best helios issue ever!

Oldgamers editorial is especially interesting to me...well done one and all.

Good issue, loved it!

Oldgamer's Avatar My President ...
    Illinois, and I DID obtain my concealed carry permit! I'm packin'!

Ozy, ahem, Tom,

Because I disagree with Mrs. Clinton on a great number of issues does not mean that my editorial was a "hatefest". However, thanks acknowledging the work that went into it.

Correction
    In the Postscript to the Editorial, I said that Bill Clinton went to Stockholm and Moscow on Winter Break, 1669-1970. Obviously, I meant 1969!

Kiljan Arslan's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris

Interisting you put Ayn Rand as your quote she was an antitheist who would actually make me want to fallow Dawkins. Hell she told Murray Rothbard to leave his presbytyrian wife or leave objectionism!

PS Oldgamer the only way your editorial against Clinton would be a hate fest was if you said she was like the spawn of Satan (true)
    according to exarch I am like
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Quote Originally Posted by Exarch View Post
    sure, the way fred phelps finds christianity too optimistic?

Simple truths
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Did you know being born into wealth or marrying into wealth really shows you never did anything to earn it?
    btw having a sig telling people not to report you is hilarious.

Ah to be featured so prominently in the Athenaeum. I just love life
    Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"

Civitate

Excellent work guys, looks like I have to rep you all!
    Under the patronage of Rhah and brother of eventhorizen.

Lord Rahl's Avatar Behold the Beard
    Content Emeritus

Hoorah! Rep coming lads! Another great issue!

Patron of: Ó Cathasaigh, Major. Stupidity, Kscott, Major König, Nationalist_Cause, Kleos, Rush Limbaugh, General_Curtis_LeMay, and NIKO_TWOW.RU | Patronized by: MadBurgerMaker
    Opifex, Civitate, ex-CdeC, Ex-Urbanis Legio, Ex-Quaestor, Ex-Helios Editor, Sig God, Skin Creator & Badge Forger
    I may be back... | @BeardedRiker

Feliks's Avatar Ω
    Deep Space Nine, Habitat Ring Two, Section 4

Quote Originally Posted by Lunar4 View Post
    Ah to be featured so prominently in the Athenaeum. I just love life
    The Athenaeum is so small, that if you post a new thread you probably have a 20% chance of me mentioning you.

Former Science Reporter for the Helios
    Under the benevolent patronage of
    Annaeus.

Anarius's Avatar Senator

Let me praise The Helios for the first time, even though I've read many of the previous ones too. This truly is an awesome forum, and The Helios delivers again.

imb39's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    Patrician Citizen spy of the council

Another good read, folks.

Lusted's Avatar Look to the stars

Honsetly Scorch:
    Creative Arts
    Creative Arts!!!!!!!!! Creative Arts!!!!!!!

It's the Creative Assembly.
    Creator of:
    Lands to Conquer Gold for Medieval II: Kingdoms
    Terrae Expugnandae Gold Open Beta for RTW 1.5
    Proud ex-Moderator and ex-Administrator of TWC from Jan 06 to June 07
    Awarded the Rank of Opifex for outstanding contributions to the TW mod community.
    Awarded the Rank of Divus for oustanding work during my times as Administrator.

Great editorial oldgamer. Of course it was a hate fest, speaking out against her can't be anything but, you wicked right wing monster! Because the only non hate opinion to be had is one of support for her, anything else is bad, as the person who wrote that editorial it should not be a surprise to you that this is how her supporters react.

Oldgamer's Avatar My President ...
    Illinois, and I DID obtain my concealed carry permit! I'm packin'!

Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Dan View Post
    Great editorial oldgamer. Of course it was a hate fest, speaking out against her can't be anything but, you wicked right wing monster! Because the only non hate opinion to be had is one of support for her, anything else is bad, as the person who wrote that editorial it should not be a surprise to you that this is how her supporters react.
    Like I said, polarize and radicalize! I need to apologize to TP. Obviously, my editorial was hateful!

Scorch's Avatar One of Giga's Ladies
    Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by Lusted View Post
    Honsetly Scorch:

Creative Arts!!!!!!!!! Creative Arts!!!!!!!

It's the Creative Assembly.
    Gah! How did I not pick that up? I'm terribly sorry; if it's any defence, I wrote this late at night.
    Patronized by Ozymandias, Patron of Artorius Maximus, Scar Face, Ibn Rushd and Thanatos.

The University of Sydney | Bachelor of Arts III (Majoring in Ancient History and Italian Studies)

I do not fear death. I had been dead for billions and
    billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it.
    - Mark Twain

Godless Musings: A blog about why violent fairytale characters should not have any say in how our society is run.

Pindarus's Avatar Foederatus

Great job guys. Enjoyed it.

It's obviously because Satan has corrupted our souls and made us do abortions in our spare time.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lord Rahl
    Kirk gets laid

Despite the obvious appeal of space pimping, TWC seems to agree that the Star Wars universe is more interesting, with better weapons, better battles and a more engrossing story.
    Oh yeah you know it, space pimpin' ftw.

What the bloody cabbage was all that about gay pride parade at the bottom? Strange... the aliens have infiltrated...
    "War is based upon deception" - Sun Tzu "Dulce et decorum est pro patria mori"...

Lord Rahl's Avatar Behold the Beard
    Content Emeritus

TWC is too biased towards Star Wars! EVERYONE knows that Star Trek is better. Huge space battles is one thing but ANY battle that Kirk is involved in, whether it involve multiple starships or against a single man, is vastly superior in awesomeness.

Patron of: Ó Cathasaigh, Major. Stupidity, Kscott, Major König, Nationalist_Cause, Kleos, Rush Limbaugh, General_Curtis_LeMay, and NIKO_TWOW.RU | Patronized by: MadBurgerMaker
    Opifex, Civitate, ex-CdeC, Ex-Urbanis Legio, Ex-Quaestor, Ex-Helios Editor, Sig God, Skin Creator & Badge Forger
    I may be back... | @BeardedRiker

to all those giving rep for this addition, i'm starting to feel left out and very sad....

other than that, a nice a piece of work guys

what was the gay pride about? me and TP went to it, and thought we'd write about it, and post some of the pics we took.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast