Thread: Movie Review: Transformers (2007)

Roy Batty's Avatar Senator

Default Movie Review: Transformers (2007)

Title:
    Transformers
    Directed By: Michael Bay
    Story and Screenplay By: Alex Kurtzman, Roberto Orci and John Rogers
    Genre: Action/Adventure/Science Fiction
    Length: approx. 2 hr. 45 min.
    Rating: 8.5/10

The Premise:
    Robotic Aliens come to Earth in search of -and to battle over- a powerful alien artifact. Humanity plays its part.

The Good:
    -The action
    -The CGI
    -Megan Fox

The Bad:
    -The movie tries to appeal to too many audiences.
    -There is too much GM advertising.
    -Length (This movie is pretty damned long considering its subject matter.)

The Ugly:
    -Memorable lines and phrases such as: "It seems to be surrounded by some kind of... invisible force field..."

Summary:
    The movie begins with a brief setup, narrated by the voice of Optimus Prime (Peter Cullen). There's this giant cube, see? It's called the Life Spark and the movie's aliens and namesake, the Transformers have fought an apocolyptic war for this cube. Somehow it was lost, and left floating around in space, until it crash landed on prehistoric Earth.

Cut to the present. The US is attacked and an attempt is made to hack the government network. A teenage boy named Sam (Shia LaBeouf) becomes the center of attention for a lot of strange... er... people. Action and adventure ensues.

The Review:
    To begin, let me start by saying: woot! This is one actiony film and boy are the actiony bits done well! I can honestly say that not a single action sequence failed give me a rush, make me shudder with pleasure or simply say: "Damn... that was good."

Whether the action consisted of an Autobot dodging an attack, spinning through the air and unleashing an attack of their own, or a Decepticon simply cutting loose with a chaingun, or even pitiful humans coordinating airstrikes while under fire, it was all done -at the least- very well. Stunt driving, pyrotechnics and CGI were all tied together brilliantly.

The CGI is worth special mention as well as the Autobots and Decepticons, when not disguised as mere vehicles (more than meets the eye, remember?) are pure CGI as far as I can tell, and man, do they look good. Optimus Prime, Bumblebee, Starscream, Bonecrusher, Barricade... they never looked so good, so gritty, so real.

Speaking of good looking, the aptly named Megan Fox is smoking hot and Michael Bay does a good job of never letting you forget it throughout the entire film. No matter the setting of the scene, no matter the mood, I was always keenly aware of Megan Fox and her raw sexual appeal.

Of course, not everything about the movie is grand and spectacular.

Transformers tries to appeal to many audiences and in so doing, perhaps alienates some. Cheesy lines and slapstick, childish humor mixed with over-the-top action, cuss words and sex appeal is bound to alienate some people. Sometimes, it's just better to pick a specific demographic rather than trying to appeal to everyone, everywhere.

In addition, I understand the nature of sponsorship and the funding it provides for movies, but never should it be so blatantly noticeable in a film. I for one would never have assumed that aliens were such exclusive fans of GM-manufactured automobiles.

Finally, I must express some confusion over the length of the film. Transfomers lasts nearly three hours, total. That's a long time for such a simple story to be told. And it seems the only reason it lasts so long is for the purpose of following a branching storyline involving a signal used by the Decepticons. This signal is in no way important to the development of the plot line, and seems included in the film merely to introduce two characters: Maggie Madsen (Rachael Taylor) and Glen Whitmann (Anthony Anderson).

In Conclusion:
    Whether or not you are a fan of the old cartoon, it is very important to remember just one thing whilst going to see this movie: This is a light-hearted action adventure. Go to see this film to be amused by wit and slapstick comedy, bedazzled by CGI and thrilled by fantastic action. Don't expect to acquire some new life-philosophy or to have some kind of epiphany after seeing this film because, quite frankly, this film doesn't take itself seriously and nor should it, or you.
    Last edited by Roy Batty; August 07, 2007 at 04:10 PM.
    The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all.
    H. L. Mencken

Rhah's Avatar S'eer of Fnords

Default Re: Movie Review: Transformers (2007)

Good review, and I agree with most of your points. I'm a pretty big fan of the the original cartoon (but not anything after the animated movie) so i've been eagerly awaiting this film, despite knowing that Bay was at the helm.
    In my opinion, this film would have been much better (from my point of view anyway) if there had been more Decepticon dialogue. As it is, the Decepticons hardly have any lines (only Barricade, Starscream, and Megatron actually speak in English) and that aspect was sorely missed.

**Spoiler********

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    One little thing I noticed... at the end of the film, just before Megatron gets nailed by the USAF F-22's, we see Starscream dogfighting with the same aircraft. After destroying a few, he transforms into an F-22 and seems to fall into formation with them. Seconds later, Megatron gets hit by a load of missiles, and it almost seems like Starscream was one of the aircraft firing at Megatron. If this is true, then that would be very much in character, but I just wish they could have made it a bit clearer.

Also, killing Jazz was such a stupid idea. They better bring him back somehow in the sequel... and Grimlock should be in it too..
    Last edited by Rhah; August 09, 2007 at 07:14 AM.
    "Moral indignation is jealousy with a Halo" - H.G. Wells.

Sig crafted by Bulgaroctonus, Member of S.I.N., Proud Spurs fan
    Son of Valus, Brother to Mimirswell and Proximus
    Patron of Shaun, Eventhorizen, Beowulf47
    and Rob_the_celt

Eric's Avatar Praepositus

I have to disagree with you about Megan Fox. I'm watching the movie and i'm seeing Megan Fox and all I can think is "Wow, she has enormous teeth!"
    Better to stand under the Crown than to kneel under a Flag

Life is fleeting, but glory lives forever! Conquer new lands, rule over the seas, build an empire! World Alliances

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    I have to disagree with you about Megan Fox. I'm watching the movie and i'm seeing Megan Fox and all I can think is "Wow, she has enormous teeth!"
    Eh... Huh?

@Rhah
    I completely agree with you on the Decepticon dialogue. The dynamics of their hierarchy and the nature of their interactions would have been interesting to see on film.
    Also, did you notice that Barricade simply disapears? He is seen responding to the call to rally to Megatron and the dam, and he is seen on the freeway with Bonecrusher, but is never seen again. This is a definate flaw in the movie, unless I missed something.
    The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all.
    H. L. Mencken

Rhah's Avatar S'eer of Fnords

Quote Originally Posted by Crab Apple Tea View Post
    Eh... Huh?

@Rhah
    I completely agree with you on the Decepticon dialogue. The dynamics of their hierarchy and the nature of their interactions would have been interesting to see on film.
    Also, did you notice that Barricade simply disapears? He is seen responding to the call to rally to Megatron and the dam, and he is seen on the freeway with Bonecrusher, but is never seen again. This is a definate flaw in the movie, unless I missed something.

Have to agree with Crab Apple Tea here... Megan Fox is fit as ****... the Aussie girl was pretty damn nice as well, but given the choice, Megan Fox gets it every time. (well, 9 times out of 10 anyway... you have to have a bit of variety )

@Crab Apple Tea

I Hadn't noticed that before, but thinking about it you're right, you definitly never see Barricade get killed. Either they have plans for him in the sequel, or they've saved that scene for some sort of extended edition DVD release. With any luck, there might be some more Decepticon dialogue as well.

Maybe Barricade could change his name to Prowl and become an Autobot.....
    "Moral indignation is jealousy with a Halo" - H.G. Wells.

Sig crafted by Bulgaroctonus, Member of S.I.N., Proud Spurs fan
    Son of Valus, Brother to Mimirswell and Proximus
    Patron of Shaun, Eventhorizen, Beowulf47
    and Rob_the_celt

i thought it was an ok movie. at first they screwed up devastator, starscream, megatron, and optimus prime. devastator was supposed to be the constuctobots fused form, starscream looked like waspinator from beast wars , megatron didnt look like........megatron and i hated the flames on prime. i was worried about the voices of megatron and starscream but they werent that bad. i was glad they got the origional voice for prime. they also screwed up frenzy (supposed to be soundwave but hell be in the next movie), he had blue eyes, not red. also megatron died in the stupidiest way.

@rhah youre right, the Decepticons hardly had any lines. i think starscream only said a sentenced thats it. also, the thing with starscream killing megatron with the squad. i never noticed that, ill give you a rep for that. i guess they portrayed starscream right on how he is crafty wants to get rid of megatron to become leader.

about barricades disappearance, that was the first thing i said after the movie. what did happen to him? i thought maybe prime killed him or something.

Holger Danske's Avatar Comes Limitis

I was kinda disappointed... I mean Megan Fox didn't show enough ass! But the movie was okay. And killing megatron wasn't right.. I mean he is the most evil of them all, and a sequel without him is going to be so darn boring.
    Last edited by Holger Danske; September 02, 2007 at 07:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Holger Danske View Post
    I was kinda disappointed... I mean Megan Fox didn't show enough ass! But the movie was okay. And killing megatron wasn't right.. I mean he is the most evil of them all, and a sequel without him is going to be so darn boring.
    One of the advantages of working with subject material like that of the Transformers is that your ties to reality are rather loose and thin.

That is to say, there is nothing preventing a resurrection of Megatron.
    H. L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by Rhah View Post
    Good review, and I agree with most of your points. I'm a pretty big fan of the the original cartoon (but not anything after the animated movie) so i've been eagerly awaiting this film, despite knowing that Bay was at the helm.
    In my opinion, this film would have been much better (from my point of view anyway) if there had been more Decepticon dialogue. As it is, the Decepticons hardly have any lines (only Barricade, Starscream, and Megatron actually speak in English) and that aspect was sorely missed.

**Spoiler********

One little thing I noticed... at the end of the film, just before Megatron gets nailed by the USAF F-22's, we see Starscream dogfighting with the same aircraft. After destroying a few, he transforms into an F-22 and seems to fall into formation with them. Seconds later, Megatron gets hit by a load of missiles, and it almost seems like Starscream was one of the aircraft firing at Megatron. If this is true, then that would be very much in character, but I just wish they could have made it a bit clearer.

Also, killing Jazz was such a stupid idea. They better bring him back somehow in the sequel... and Grimlock should be in it too..
    2 Characters that would make a Sequel of Transformers Rock would be..

1) Devastator!

2) Unicron! A Planet sized Transformer that eats other Planets Woot woot!

I never watched the cartoons, and had no interest in seeing this.

But then I was on a coach bus and it was put on, and damn, it was a fun movie. If they make a sequel, I'll see it in theatres. Usually I like more thought provoking movies but this was suprisingly good.

Tajir's Avatar Vicarius

God, I hated this movie beyond anything imaginable, I left after an hour and a half. So terrible it was...

The movie got a 0 out of 10 from me.

However, if they cut out the teenage drama and the GM advertising, it would get a 4 out of 10.

I also thought that the camera was too 80s style, just so polished and bright. Even at night, everything was shiny and bright, WTF!

I understand it was light-hearted, but at the same time, it really did suck, big time. Horribly sucked.

There is nothing positive about the movie because there was no mystery, twist, or even a plot that I could possible see as being mildly entertaining.

The director should be murdered, its the only time I've ever wished death on someone, except Oliver Stone for Alexander.

Good review.

I though they movie was oaky and would give it 2 1/2 stars. The reason why I wouldnt give it 3 stars is that it was so long for such a simple story.