Page 1 of 14 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Darth Vader HAD Retired!

Default Darth Vader HAD Retired!

My fellow DarthMod team members and TW community,

This is a decision I have made after a momentum of breaking thoughts. It was really difficult but I believe I am forced to do that. All this time I am very happy that the TW community has acknowledged my modding work. This was done in a way that it should be accepted as an effort a lot above the average if not something better.

My modding work started as a hobby continued as an avocation, then as a passion and later, about 1 year ago as a potential working qualification to actually work to CA. Yes...that is right. I have been interviewed last summer for more than 3 hours to the premises of CA/UK for the job position of "Game Designer". I promised myself not to reveal it because it could not be right in terms of professional confidence. So I did not. I was not chosen finally. That really did not matter too much to me because I had not the verified experience which a games industry would desire despite my overall hobbies covering the genre.

I thought I could give it another try and apply for an entry level job as a games tester. Even though I am safely settled here in Greece and at an age of 31, I could honestly abandon everything in order to follow a dream job career such as working to Creative Assembly/Sega game working environment. In the meantime I ,as some other modders also did, offered some helpful feedback to CA/Australia to help them balance their upcoming "Kingdoms" add-on and also the patch 1.2 you now play, in close conversation with the always helpful Palamides.... and after more than 3-4 months of waiting to finally CA/UK to have a simple answer for me, I was finally rejected yesterday because my apparent skills and personal qualities would not make me a good fit into a job at Creative Assembly in the UK.....

So as you can understand it is a bit ironic to continue having the same enthusiasism and will to try to enhance the TW games. In fact I lost it 100%.
    The work I do seems not enough even for a low-level working games experience. Maybe if I was younger it could be better...who knows... My only payment all this time is YOU, the fans of my mods who press me to offer you something you like and I am happy you acknowledge with all the relevant interaction. You are all my virtual friends and it will be hard to lose all this creative environment and hosting space of TWcenter forum to which I was more than loyal all these years...even when from time to time there were bunches of turmoilers asking me to participate in order to crash it....the same who are now again here as it never happened.

My character is a bit odd, strange...too straight it seems. And I always take position in such kind of matters. Even if I do not want to make the decision...I follow the rightful way...and this is the most rightful.
    I will be fair to my teammates to which I have asked to help me and will try to do the best in order to give to the community the last DarthMod for TW series:
    DarthMod 1.4D for Medieval 2: Total War patch 1.2/1.3

I will be here in my forum to offer support and some urgent patches if needed. Then I will progressively perish...search another galaxy with more temptations to offer but for sure not as enjoyful as all these years.

Thank you all for reading me.

DARTH VADER

---edit---

I created the final DarthMod

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=120100

I have done my duty.

I hope you really enjoy it.

Tiberiu_R's Avatar Ordinarius

Default Re: Darth Vader Retires!

I'm sorry to hear this...

Darth Team Member(click my sig )
    Darth_Battle_AI for Kingdoms( GET IT NOW! )

Socal_infidel's Avatar PDER Piper

Yes. Very sad news indeed. You were an integral part of the TWC modding community. You'll be missed. Thanks for all your work.

Best of luck with wherever life takes you!

Thorn's Avatar Artifex

..I have no words...

I can only wish you best luck in whatever you do...

deRougemont's Avatar Yeoman

Darth, you have been a rock and inspiration to the TW community for ages. This is sad news indeed. Considering some of CA's other poor decisions in the past, I am not overly surprised they have passed you up. Their loss! But rest assured, that the community knows and appreciates your talent and invaluable contributions. We salute you!

Its clear that CA has made an error in their decision,not to use you. Well the mistake is theirs. Thank you Darth for all your hard work to make these games better.Godspeed!

it's CA's mistake not taking you, i'm really sorry to hear that. Despite some people's narrow opinions, i liked darth mod the moment i played it, at the begining i was afraid it was too hard, but as it turns out it made my game a lot more fun. Thank you for all you've done

+rep for me if you agree with me , i might give it right back to you

Dear Darth,

It was a pleasure to have you here. But your decision ist quite understandeable. I wish you all the best for your future and maybe you'll find a better gaming experience with a company that values your skills higher.
    From the pride and arrogance of the Romans nothing is sacred. But the vindictive gods are now at hand. On this spot we must either conquer, or die with glory (Boudiccas Speech, Tacitus, Annals, XIV, 35)

under Patronage of Emperor Dimitricus, Granddaughter of the Black Prince.

jimkatalanos's Avatar 浪人
    Patrician

That's sad.
    KALH TYXH ME OTI ALLO ASXOLITHEIS, KAI EYXOMAI NA MH PARATISEIS TO TWC ENTELOS.
    Ερωτηθεὶς τι ποτ' αυτώ περιγέγονεν εκ φιλοσοφίας, έφη, «Το ανεπιτάκτως ποιείν ά τινες διά τον από των νόμων φόβον ποιούσιν.

Under the professional guidance of TWC's Zone expert Garbarsardar
    Patron of Noble Savage, Dimitri_Harkov, MasterOfThessus, The Fuzz, aja5191, Furin, neoptolemos, AnthoniusII, Legio, agisilaos, Romanos IV, Taiji, Leo, Jom, Jarlaxe

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    The universe is change; our life is what our thoughts make it.

The soul becomes dyed with the color of its thoughts.

If you desire to be good, begin by believing that you are wicked.

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit.

οὕτως ἀταλαίπωρος τοῖς πολλοῖς ἡ ζήτησις τῆς ἀληθείας, καὶ ἐπὶ τὰ ἑτοῖμα μᾶλλον τρέπονται.

Questions are not necessarily there to be answered, but possibly there to inspire thinking.

Nullius addictus iurare in verba magistri, - quo me cumque rapit tempestas, deferor hospes.

If mind is common to us, then also the reason, whereby we are reasoning beings, is common. If this be so, then also the reason which enjoins what is to be done or left undone is common. If this be so, law also is common; if this be so, we are citizens; if this be so, we are partakers in one constitution; if this be so, the Universe is a kind of commonwealth.

Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.

There is no chaos in the world, only complexity.
    Knowledge of the complex is wisdom.
    From wisdom of the world comes wisdom of the self.
    Mastery of the self is mastery of the world. Loss of the self is the source of suffering.
    Suffering is a choice, and we can refuse it.
    It is in our power to create the world, or destroy it.

Homo homini lupus est. Homo sacra res homini.

When deeds speak, words are nothing.

Human history is a litany of blood, shed over different ideals of rulership and afterlife

Sol lucet omnibus.

You have power over your mind - not outside events. Realize this, and you will find strength.

Neither should a ship rely on one small anchor, nor should life rest on a single hope.

The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.

Ο Νούς νοεί τον εαυτόν του ως κράτιστος και η νόησή του είναι της νοήσεως νόησις.

'Nothing is true, everything is permitted.' is merely an observation of the nature of reality. To say that nothing is true, is to realize that the foundations of society are fragile, and that we must be the shepherds of our own civilization. To say that everything is permitted, is to understand that we are the architects of our actions, and that we must live with their consequences, whether glorious or tragic.

Zephrelial's Avatar Eternal Sorrow
    An ancient castle on a steep windy mountain peak.. away from all mortal eyes...

I don't know you too well Darth Vader,in fact none of us here at TWC know eachother deeply.We are known to eachother by our posts that reflects our ideas,some of us knows others by their contributions which are mainly mods.

As being a reknowned modder you are in the second category I suppose.I haven't played your formations but I have no doubt that they are great since I've heard countless people praising them.

Like many other modders you have contributed valuable work with basically expecting nothing in return.You may as well as imagine thousands of people have enjoyed the game thanks to you.In this weird reality and life we live in I dare say that this is a bliss.

Obviously you are quite disappointed not to be accepted by CA and this had downheartened you considerably.But you know what.. It's very normal that you are disappointed as in this Life believe me justice is usually never served..

Not only in gaming industry but in other areas such as sports,politics,filming we witness and see that many talented and well-deserving people are overlooked and some are spent like currency ( a metaphor).For instance,we see lots of excellent actors are never given oscars,if we stop and think for a while the reason of this is because probably they haven't licked enough b... tss

In life usually high and important positions are held by unworthy people and the talented in some and most cases become victims of jealousy and hideous plots.

Firstly I'm a buyer of a certain product which is mtw2,secondly I'm a modder.Most of us know and some of us are reluctant to admit that mtw2 textures and unit uniforms are a disgrace and a joke,here in twc I've witnessed the amazing models and textures of certain people that doesn't work in CA but according to me are far better than the 3d artists in CA.( I don't care what their lead designer command them to do,one is recognized and evaluated by his work)Here is a simple example.And since they are paid for it they SHOULD be better than people that mod here.But they are not.

I have 2 friends working for funcom.. One of them surely deserves it but he got this position after many years of striving and with attrition they nearly rejected him.The other is an unsignificant person with no real talent but he got the job.

Please don't misunderstand my words I'm not giving advice or anything I just remind you some points that you probably already know.So don't even think about this refusal know that all of us hardly knows most of the people that work for CA... (anyone reads the credits section of games?,don't think so)

But here everyone knows you and your name..Take heart from that truth
    Shine on you crazy diamond...

boofhead's Avatar Dux Limitis

You have been an icon of TWC. The quiet achiever. Best wishes.

Giorgos's Avatar Deus Ex Machina

Το κρίμα στον λαιμό τους φίλε. Μην μας στεναχωριέσαι! 'Ελα στην Σκιάθο να κεράσω διακοπές!

I am saddened by the eventual result of Darth's dedication to the modding ascpects as well as the quality improving of CA's games...

cudakite's Avatar Centenarius

Thank you for all your excellent work. You will be missed.

CLICKY

jimkatalanos's Avatar 浪人
    Patrician

Ελπιζω Darth να μη μας εγκαταλειψεις πληρως.

Quote Originally Posted by Giorgos View Post
    Το κρίμα στον λαιμό τους φίλε. Μην μας στεναχωριέσαι! 'Ελα στην Σκιάθο να κεράσω διακοπές!
    Να ερθω και εγω?
    Ερωτηθεὶς τι ποτ' αυτώ περιγέγονεν εκ φιλοσοφίας, έφη, «Το ανεπιτάκτως ποιείν ά τινες διά τον από των νόμων φόβον ποιούσιν.

Under the professional guidance of TWC's Zone expert Garbarsardar
    Patron of Noble Savage, Dimitri_Harkov, MasterOfThessus, The Fuzz, aja5191, Furin, neoptolemos, AnthoniusII, Legio, agisilaos, Romanos IV, Taiji, Leo, Jom, Jarlaxe

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    The universe is change; our life is what our thoughts make it.

The soul becomes dyed with the color of its thoughts.

If you desire to be good, begin by believing that you are wicked.

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit.

οὕτως ἀταλαίπωρος τοῖς πολλοῖς ἡ ζήτησις τῆς ἀληθείας, καὶ ἐπὶ τὰ ἑτοῖμα μᾶλλον τρέπονται.

Questions are not necessarily there to be answered, but possibly there to inspire thinking.

Nullius addictus iurare in verba magistri, - quo me cumque rapit tempestas, deferor hospes.

If mind is common to us, then also the reason, whereby we are reasoning beings, is common. If this be so, then also the reason which enjoins what is to be done or left undone is common. If this be so, law also is common; if this be so, we are citizens; if this be so, we are partakers in one constitution; if this be so, the Universe is a kind of commonwealth.

Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.

There is no chaos in the world, only complexity.
    Knowledge of the complex is wisdom.
    From wisdom of the world comes wisdom of the self.
    Mastery of the self is mastery of the world. Loss of the self is the source of suffering.
    Suffering is a choice, and we can refuse it.
    It is in our power to create the world, or destroy it.

Homo homini lupus est. Homo sacra res homini.

When deeds speak, words are nothing.

Human history is a litany of blood, shed over different ideals of rulership and afterlife

Sol lucet omnibus.

You have power over your mind - not outside events. Realize this, and you will find strength.

Neither should a ship rely on one small anchor, nor should life rest on a single hope.

The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.

Ο Νούς νοεί τον εαυτόν του ως κράτιστος και η νόησή του είναι της νοήσεως νόησις.

'Nothing is true, everything is permitted.' is merely an observation of the nature of reality. To say that nothing is true, is to realize that the foundations of society are fragile, and that we must be the shepherds of our own civilization. To say that everything is permitted, is to understand that we are the architects of our actions, and that we must live with their consequences, whether glorious or tragic.

Giorgos's Avatar Deus Ex Machina

Quote Originally Posted by jimkatalanos View Post
    Ελπιζω Darth να μη μας εγκαταλειψεις πληρως.

Να ερθω και εγω?
    Και δεν έρχεσαι και εσυ...

xeryx's Avatar Follow the White Rabbit

Darth,

I fully understand your disappointment with CA, Afterall that's why you had to become a modder. I won't bash here, but I have also just wanted to "walk away" from this game. Many other games, I have walked away from. CA/Sega is just like most of the other companies out there now, they just really don't care that much. Except when they are threatened to lose their fanbase.

What I am trying to tell you Darth, is that I know it is a huge dissappointment for you. Look inside yourself, and look at what you have really accomplished with modding these games. You!! have made a signifigant contribution to the game and the community! It's because of the "Modder's" that we actually can enjoy a half-ass game!!

Darth, whatever you do.. Know that you are respected and loved by the community!! We do not want you to retire, we want you to continue.

CA has lost thier way Darth, we all know that, they forgot what is important to a game, a fanbase. I'm sure this will be reflected in thier addon sales.

I feel that you are weak in the Dark Side today, be wary of young Jedi's looking to destroy all that we have worked to build!!

Do not doubt your abilities, most of us are not programmers, but yet we have put out a better quality product then CA?!? That should really make you wonder if that is really a company you should be working for, just look at the recent track record! I think you should continue your quest.

Take some time off, and evaluate you. You will find that it is not you, but them that is wrong. So, don't get caught up in feeling sorry for yourself, O.K.

If for some reason you really do decide to "Retire" for good, then I bid you "God Speed" in your journey of life.

BTW, Don't make me fly over to Greece and grab you by the "scruff of the neck" and rough you up!! I could just duct tape you to a chair and make you "hunt & peck" code with your nose!!

i'm sorry to hear this unexpected news.

wish you the best in your life's journey and Godspeed Darth.

DAMN!!! That sucks. Although you can never blame someone for doing what they feel is in their best interest. If it was'nt for DM for RTW I would have shelved the game after a couple of months. My first thought when I saw the pathetic state of MIITW in it's original form was "oh well, darth will straighten this crap out".

Hopefully you'll have a change of heart and decide to make DM even better than before to show those dumb asses what they missed out on. If not, then have fun on the beach chasing those crazy greek girls!

Edit: I'M KEEPIN MY SIG ANYWAY!!!!!!!

When small men attempt great enterprises, they always end by reducing them to the level of their mediocrity.
    * Napoleon I

You Darth are the man who made things in this game right... RTW/MTW II just sucks without your mod... and that's real deal. You made me play Rome for 2 years from now and Medieval II several months. You made this, not CA. I've played vanilla versions for one or two weeks, than i've downloaded DarthMod. So I thank you Darth for this two years of really good enjoyment and fun which DarthMod provided.

Sounds familiar... I played M2 by a friend and decided not to waste money for this game after 3 days. Then I came across a couple of mods and finaly DarthMod and it makes the game fun and worth the money and my time and I decided to buy it. Well. As a programmer I can tell you, writing the code isnt that difficult, whats realy hard is a good idea, the design, the balance and be ready before the money runs out. So basicaly you made a pure "framework" playable. Cant realy comment on that... and as said, soudns realy familiar. I wish you the best in the future.
    DarthMod Beta-Tester

Page 1 of 14 1234567891011 ... LastLast