Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Squalor problems

Default Squalor problems

After conquering and building up a city or castle, my squalor levels raise to dangerous levels and the city/castle will end up revolting. So the question is: how do i reduce SQUALOR?~

Default Re: Squalor problems

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnybonesss View Post
    After conquering and building up a city or castle, my squalor levels raise to dangerous levels and the city/castle will end up revolting. So the question is: how do i reduce SQUALOR?~

BUILD HEALTH EFFECT BUILDINGS AND FARMS....SQULOR COMES WITH HIGH POPULATION AND CANOT BE DESTROYED LATE IN GAME... EXTERMINATE BIGGER CITIES YOU CONQUER.

REGARDS
    LEONIDAS OF SPARTA
    "Hoti to kratisto" - Alexander of Macedon

Squalour = Population. The only way to reduce it is to exterminate/sack the city or bring a spy with plague in to kill off the people.

Retired moderator of TWC
    | Under the patronage of Atterdag

Quote Originally Posted by Garnier View Post
    Squalour = Population. The only way to reduce it is to exterminate/sack the city or bring a spy with plague in to kill off the people.
    YOU FORGOT HEALTH EFFECT BUILDINGS.

REGARDS
    LEONIDAS OF SPARTA

Good info guys, thanks.

One "good" thing is to do that take ur units out and let the rebels have it... After that conquer and sack/exterminate >> No more squalor!

But beware if u have good military buildings there can be pretty nasty guys rebeling :o

In my campaign currently at SS with turks now when i have "turk" i will attack to egypt and exterminate everything! I get good dread too

Health buildings to not decrease squalour. Squalour = population. Health is the opposite of squalour though, as it gives happiness and population growth. It basically makes more population able to be in the city with no other difference.

Retired moderator of TWC
    | Under the patronage of Atterdag

Health bonuses won't help too much as yes they do increase pop growth. So does farms. I remember reading a guide for RTW saying DON'T build farm or health buildings as they lead to huge squalor problems later on
    Whoever gives nothing, has nothing. The greatest misfortune is not to be unloved, but not to love.
    -Albert Camus

But doesnt City Hall decrease squalor? Well at least at the beginning.
    One more thing, increasing the tax will reduce population growth for a while but also make your people unhappy. Someone should check my theory.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg89 View Post
    But doesnt City Hall decrease squalor? Well at least at the beginning.
    One more thing, increasing the tax will reduce population growth for a while but also make your people unhappy. Someone should check my theory.
    I *think* buildings that have a law bonus decrease squalor and yes the higher the taxes the less population growth
    Whoever gives nothing, has nothing. The greatest misfortune is not to be unloved, but not to love.
    -Albert Camus

Yeah I know that buildings like farms increase pop growth so I bild only first one in cities that I know will have big population

Leonidas

Well in RTW i played with egypt and some of my cities had best farms and sewers and at one point the population started to decrase and after that the population didn't increase or decrease so it was neutral for end of my campiagn... and best of all was that, they were happy with high tax rate :

I really don't think the makers of the game got squalor correct. I've kept my starting cities fairly happy without using a 'growth' tax management. Yet my citizens are ready to revolt do to squalor. There isnt really anyway without boatloads of money (for constant upgrades) to keep squalor down. This is a pretty basic element of the game and i feel its not balanced at all - rep for CA

delra's Avatar Praepositus

It is great that squalor is capped at 80% so you can counter it with buildings. In RTW you just had to walk with an army from city to city and exterminate them one after another to keep your empire intact...

Anyway, you can always check if the city has very high population growth and in cities that gain citizens like crazy (Cordoba?) just don't build farms and build all the fun and health instead...

Ive been building all the maintenance buildings for my population since the beginning. Now they want to revolt... such crap. My squalor is at %16 and they are ready to revolt Is there anyway to mod this code?

Just let them rebel and exterminate the populace. It not only gets you money but also gets the economy to a sustainable level.
    "... and those people, being naughty in my eyes, shall snuff it... "

Edelward's Avatar Vicarius

Health buildings do make population happy .
    Exterminatus Totalus makes your reputation bad-affects diplomacy
    Generally MTW 2 is easier then RTW with pop-n
    Don't forget that recrutable militia is upkeep free in cities so ...
    Fitz Salnarville, Duke William's favourite knyghte,
    To noble Edelwarde his life dyd yielde;
    Withe hys tylte launce hee stroke with thilk a myghte,
    The Norman's bowels steemde upon the feeld.
    Old Salnarville beheld hys son lie ded, 235
    Against Erie Edelward his bowe-strynge drewe;
    But Harold at one blowe made tweine his head;
    He dy'd before the poignant arrowe flew.
    So was the hope of all the issue gone,
    And in one battle fell the sire and son

I've weened myself off farms completely in cities, way too much trouble even with bucket loads of money. The problem is that it destroys your economy, too bad you can never win

I've never actually had any real problems with squalor, as I either win or get bored with that particular campaign long before it becomes an issue.

I was sort of under the impression that squalor just sort of slowed population growth to 0% and the city just leveled off when it had normal taxes, no generals present, 80% + religion, the law/religious buildings and max free militia. Is this not how it works?

If it isn't, I'll be quitting my long campaign right now and going back to the short ones. I HATED the uncontrollable population issues in RTW so much it drove me to stop playing the game, as I couldn't stand having to take a revolt and exterminate my own cities just to hold my empire together.

Squalor is not as big an issue in M2TW as it once was in RTW (constantly losing and retaking the Egyptian cities in that game). I constantly build the maximum farm upgrades in every city and castle whenever possible, but never had a squalor issue go over 30%.

I think CA put a cap on squalor.

Regardless, the key for me is to develop the city's health and public order upgrades very early, thereby allowing the city to grow with the bonus in constant effect. By the time your population grows to enormous levels, your well developed health, law, and order centers will counter it handily. If, however, you forget to build them before your city gets too big, the squalor will just build and build and it'll be too late to fix it with rapid construction of public order modifying buildings.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast