Thread: Where should I go?

Default Where should I go?

I have secured italy and sicily and have a nice decent economy to support several armies, where should i goo?

Default Re: Where should I go?

Quote Originally Posted by Willus_Killus View Post
    I have secured italy and sicily and have a nice decent economy to support several armies, where should i goo?
    It's up to your fancy.
    In my campaign I decided to go historical (approx.), so I conquered first southern Gaul, Spain and Carthage. Now I'm moving toward Greece and Egypt. After that, I will conquer some of Asia Minor, and then I will begin the conquest of all Gaul.

Uandwhosearmy's Avatar Miles

Quote Originally Posted by Willus_Killus View Post
    I went into Cisalpine Gaul and have so far taken Patavium and Mediolanum while a senate mission prompted me to take Carthago instead of Caralis as planned.

The Carthaginians are quite a challenge though, so bring at least three legions and be ready to support them heavily with units coming from Sicily.

Ok this is my advice. Land in the greek peninsula with NO LESS THAN 6-8 legions!!. You will need a LOT of men to take on greece, so be prepared. It will be well worth it though, if you don't want greece (or macedon if they are in power there) to become too strong. If they become a superpower you will have to fight endless hundreds of thousands of them. Seriously. You may even have to fight a million or more.

Retired moderator of TWC
    | Under the patronage of Atterdag

GaussSoldier's Avatar Tiro

Quote Originally Posted by Garnier View Post
    Ok this is my advice. Land in the greek peninsula with NO LESS THAN 6-8 legions!!. You will need a LOT of men to take on greece, so be prepared. It will be well worth it though, if you don't want greece (or macedon if they are in power there) to become too strong. If they become a superpower you will have to fight endless hundreds of thousands of them. Seriously. You may even have to fight a million or more.
    I learned this lesson the hard way. I wanted to move on Spain first but the Greeks expanded too much too fast and now I'm in a war that's going very well but it's taken 13 legions to get me to this point. Move on Greece as soon as possible. You don't want to be in a war where you have to tie up so many of your men.

Its important to only invade one enemy at a time. Keep your borders in all other areas secure, and then launch all the rest of your legions against one enemy. NEVER invade without enough legions to hold what you want to take.
    And its not a good idea to invade spain without enough legions AND governors to hold the land there. If you get to a stalemate where you don't have enough men to finish the job, you will find yourself defending against endless armies of spanish bull warriors, and if you dont have good governors and garrisons, your newly gained territory could rebel.

Retired moderator of TWC

so many choices so many....

thanks for ur help guys, ill go and have a ponder... hmmm...

War on one front at a time is optimal, but sometimes circumstances make it impossible. You could have just insulted the Carthanginian king's mother while secure in the knowledge that Gaul is busy with Dacia and the Greeks are fighting the Macedonians...and the very next turn the damn Germans break the ceasfire.

One method you can use when it becomes clear that your expeditionary force won't have the reinforcements you orginally planned, and you don't really want to unceremoniously get back on the boats and go home, is sack and pillage. Just seige a couple of cities with whatever armies you have availible, raze them for the loot, then get on the boats and go home~

You get an extra chunck of income, managed to hurt that specific enemy's economy, and preserved your expeditionary force for use elsewhere instead of getting into a hopeless stalemate. Can't get any better than that

Its not worth it at all.

The amount of time it takes, and the good romans who die taking cities... its not worth it at all to take and then lose a city, at least in my opinion. And my opinion applies only if you are playing by houserules(and thus using the garrison script).

Retired moderator of TWC

Well, after the Marian reforms, invading legions can bring 2 onagers with them. This alone makes sieging cities, garrison script or not (I've got the auto script add-on), quite easy.

Tactics for minimizing casualties in sieges is conceptually different from open field battles. The latter of which can be achieved by being tactically defensive, set the formation and largely let the enemy come to you. In sieges, it is almost the opposite. The more units you can get onto the walls at the same time, the more likely you are going to win with minimal casualties.

Build no less than 3 towers and 3 ladders each siege, and unless you are going up against those ungodly Spartans, taking the walls can be very easily done. Just keep the following in mind:

1. Have the infantry unit furthest away from the enemy capture towers. This will cut down on your casualties by a huge amount, and at the same time inflict additional damage on the enemy.

2. Use heavy infantry as your front line. In pre-marian terms, triarii and principii goes up first, hastati last.

3. Get your missile troops on and off the wall ASAP, park them under enemy units who are on top of the wall, and have them fire on them.

4. The AI likes to have a decisive battle at the walls, and then retreat to the square. You can easily out maneuver and out flank the piecemeal armies of the AI when you can get at least 6 units on top of the wall at one time. The AI will rout early when mostly surrounded, and you can rest up and march to the square with fresh troops.

5. Make sure you use every last ranged attack your units have during the assault on the central square, and bring your calvary to it through an alternate rout. You can then surround the AI survivors and crush them before they can do too much damage to your army.

Since the garrison script doesn't spawn a full stack, it is actually easier to get fewer casualties sieging a city than fighting off a full and balanced stack out in the open.

As for deaths… I figure the troops would prefer a nice pillaging after two months of cramped quarters on transports compared to another two months on those infernal ships to the other side of the Empire.

EDIT: In the event that the cities are well defended, then yeah, it's not reall worthwhile to attack. Just wanted to be clear that the option is avalible given the chance.
    Last edited by Mysticforce; July 31, 2007 at 01:23 PM.

Go To Greece, You won't find any good money in Gaul And Going to war with egypt so early is hell. I made the mistake of Ignoring greeks and now they rule the world.

Only Egypt, Armenia, Gaul, Germania, Brittania, Me and SPQR, Carthage, Spain, and Parthia remain. My Only chance of help is allying with Egypt and Germania to take out Illyrian Greece// Eastern Greece/Turkey.