Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: I Extremely Underestimated the gameplay of this MOD!!

Dracula's Avatar Praefectus

Default Re: I Extremely Underestimated the gameplay of this MOD!!

Quote Originally Posted by Steven the Victor View Post
    i've heard a lot of people have been able to beat him with one, and all i can say about that is, *high five!!
    they usually lie .

Quote Originally Posted by Dracula View Post
    they usually lie .
    maybe so, but i would think some of the better, veteran players were able to. how about u??

Quote Originally Posted by Steven the Victor View Post
    maybe so, but i would think some of the better, veteran players were able to. how about u??
    Ahh I never tried with one .I am in the middle of my first campaign in which I won with 2 and continued on till I got better units to keep 1 legion. I started a "0"campaign before that ,was defeated with 1 and abandoned it .
    +all my border towns revolted.I think of going to Greece instead of fighting 2 time for them .It will be boring ...5-6 towns..
    Last edited by Dracula; July 31, 2007 at 02:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dracula View Post
    they usually lie .
    Actually, no.

Battle Movies: 1 legion + mercs > Hannibal + Theo

Quote Originally Posted by Mysticforce View Post
    You play it E/E do you ? Easy difficulty ?

No. M/M as suggested by the house rules for those two recordings.

If SPQR E/E is the same as vanilla E/E, they'd have broken 25 seconds after impact, and none of my units would have routed from the field.

I tried the very first time with H/H .That's why perhaps I lost with 1 leg.

Haven't tried it on H/H yet.

I guess I could try VH/VH - shouldn't be a problem with Hannibal. But the second battle could get ugly because of less manpower on my side and enemy ranged calvary. I lost 60% more men on that fight than the previous one, and as you saw in the movie, the enemey ranged calvary won't rout even when charged by 3 calvary units...and it's just on M/M.

Quote Originally Posted by Mysticforce View Post
    Haven't tried it on H/H yet.

I guess I could try VH/VH - shouldn't be a problem with Hannibal. But the second battle could get ugly because of less manpower on my side and enemy ranged calvary. I lost 60% more men on that fight than the previous one, and as you saw in the movie, the enemey ranged calvary won't rout even when charged by 3 calvary units...and it's just on M/M.
    well if ya think u can do it. by all means do it. it's not like u have to play by house rules. i like the rules, but looks like u've got the skills to go above and beyond.

Hannibal on VH/VH isn't an issue, you just keep a unit of triarii on each flank (behind your front line of hastati) and keep the velites behind the triarii.
    Engage their cavalry with your triarii, wait till their elephants wonder in and have your velites kill the elephants. Then you flank them with your cavalry and triarii and velites and the battle is over.

Even the other Carth army isn't a problem after the battle, same tactics, just a little more dicey given you have lost troops.

Everything after that on a VH/VH campaign is utter hell however. Expansion is a real *****. (Hence the recommendation of M/M by LT, where the game is still real hard, but also real fun, in that you don't fight over 50 full stacks a turn after you leave Italy).

I think its funny how everyone is talking about hannibal still.

I downloaded 6.4, started my game, beat hannibal (I attacked theophanes with one legion, then hannibal attacked that legion (which was down to 2000 men) and beat it, then I attacked hannibal with the second legion and beat him. Then took his city) and then after beating hannibal, the campaign continues...

Hannibal is just a very short episode in the beginning of a grand adventure called the imperial campaign. There's a lot more battles to fight, a LOT more. I've fought 217 major battles, killing 652,769 enemies of Rome. Only some 8000 of those were the carthaginians in italy. And I'm still very early in the game.

Hannibal may be a little tough, but he's nothing compared to the challenges to be faced further in.

Retired moderator of TWC
    | Under the patronage of Atterdag

GaussSoldier's Avatar Tiro

Quote Originally Posted by Garnier View Post
    Hannibal may be a little tough, but he's nothing compared to the challenges to be faced further in.
    Yeah! So move on ya bunch of sissies!

You're talking about tough battles now, wait till you go to Spain. (shudders)

You should try a resurgant Seleucid Empire on for size.

Quote Originally Posted by Garnier View Post
    I think its funny how everyone is talking about hannibal still.

I downloaded 6.4, started my game, beat hannibal (I attacked theophanes with one legion, then hannibal attacked that legion (which was down to 2000 men) and beat it, then I attacked hannibal with the second legion and beat him. Then took his city) and then after beating hannibal, the campaign continues...

Hannibal is just a very short episode in the beginning of a grand adventure called the imperial campaign. There's a lot more battles to fight, a LOT more. I've fought 217 major battles, killing 652,769 enemies of Rome. Only some 8000 of those were the carthaginians in italy. And I'm still very early in the game.

I've got my eye on Vercingetorix now. i figure if julius caesar had a little trouble against him, i wonder how i would measure up. not that i'm comparing myself to julius caesar (no comparison). Last I saw of Vercingetorix was near Massilia i think. so i'm heading there. how about u Garnier?? How have u managed Vercingetorix?? By the way, it's a pretty big honor having u reply to my thread.

GaussSoldier's Avatar Tiro

Quote Originally Posted by Aristocrat View Post
    You should try a resurgant Seleucid Empire on for size.
    My campaign has been blessed (yes I said blessed) with a strong Seleucid Empire. Last night it completed the destruction of Egypt and has not alowed the Greeks to expand due to a previous alliance. After they broke it with the greeks I immediately became their best friend. Thinking of taking the their eastern cities and selling them to Seleucia.

SPQR is tactical Gameplay, you actually HAVE to use real tactics to win. In that case I consider SPQR battles to be the most realistic. Even if some consider Elephants too powerful, the key is its a game, and even at best it will NEVER simulate real battles. So gameplay has to come in for balance.

Lt

P.S. I beat hannibal with One legion but suffered about 1/3rd casualties.
    Lt_1956
    Creator of SPQR:Total War mod since 2004

Quote Originally Posted by lt1956 View Post
    SPQR is tactical Gameplay, you actually HAVE to use real tactics to win. In that case I consider SPQR battles to be the most realistic. Even if some consider Elephants too powerful, the key is its a game, and even at best it will NEVER simulate real battles. So gameplay has to come in for balance.

Lt

P.S. I beat hannibal with One legion but suffered about 1/3rd casualties.
    Holy crap it's lt1956!!!! I'm not worthy, I'm not worthy!!! (please get that waynes world reference!!) Back on track, the tactics and gameplay of this mod is what got me. can't help it, i'm a sucker for using my brain to beat games.. in regular RTW u could just put ur cavalry on one flank, and use it like a mobile wrecking crew. in S.P.Q.R. maybe that will work, but only against weaker units. But anyway, i just can't praise this mod enough. Awesome Job !!

I think people talk about Hannibal alot because he is an incredibly sharp learning curve to new players of the mod, it took me two whole legions to rid myself of him but in my defense i will say that i really had no clue what i was doing at the time seeing as i was new.

But back to my point, i think people go on about him because he basically shouts in your face within the first 5 minutes of your campaign game that it is going to be very very different from vanilla RTW indeed. Even though i have fought plenty of battles as hard as that, or perhaps even harder, i still remember Hannibal and Theopanes (i think that was his name at least).

i'm a sucker for using my brain to beat games.
    I think thats one reason I love SPQR. You actually have to plan things and use tactics to survive. Most other mods, and M2TW etc, its just rush to get lots of cities as fast as possible, then spam units until you overpower everyone. Way too easy and dull.

Retired moderator of TWC
    | Under the patronage of Atterdag

Jes, Hannibal kinda takes a backseat when your 2 pre-marius legions get attacked by 4.5 Spaniard stacks

Overwhelming odds plus half of your forces aren't availible until you lose units

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast