Thread: Battle Tactics?

Default Battle Tactics?

CAn someone help me by giving me some kind of tactic I can use because the only tactic I use is outnumbering the enemy

Default Re: Battle Tactics?

Outnumbering is always good.

Try local numerical superiority- say you have two spearmen and the enemy has two spearmen. Instead of having each of your spearmen take on one of the enemy, have both of your units take on one of theirs. Then instead of being equally matched, you've got double their numbers in that one section of the battle. Then when you kill/route their one unit, take on the other in the same way.

Is that the kind of advice you're looking for?

delra's Avatar Praepositus

Put spears in front (guard mode), swords behind them, shock troops (tabardiyya, venetian infantry, so on) on flanks, cavalry on wide flanks. Destroy his cavalry with yours and when his line hits yours try to aid your spears with swords wherever they lose and at the sime time try to flank with shock troops.
    After that surround and slaughter.

If you have archers, javelins, something like that, put them in front at first, fire at will, skirmish, and let them run away when enemy closes down.

Use cav wisely, my fav tatic is to allow them to come to my spear wall and when there fighting I send my cav out on the flanks and then charge in from there rear.

Trajan's Avatar Capodecina

You can never go wrong with the anvil and hammer tactic as described by PaulusCliftus.

The 'rock scissors paper' principle.

Do not fight his spears with your spears, his horse with your horse, his sword with your sword, etc.

Instead send your swords against his spears, send your spears against his horse, send your horse against his missile troops and light infantry, etc.

And if all else fails, Repeated frontal charges with heavy horse/Gendarmes

I have a pretty hefty amount of calvary within my usual battles. I usually take a good amount of them, and bring them in a wide half circle around the map. Takes a little while, and then I finally get them a good distance away from the enemy, but behind them. Usually, the enemy never suspects they're there, but if they do. They usually send their spearmen, and anti-calvary units all the way back to take out that group. Meanwhile I have the other half of them in front, and that gives me the chance to charge them without much trouble. And if they don't see the calvary, our forces are engaged. And when the time is right, I use my rear calvary to take out vital spots for them, such as ranged units, etc that aren't exactly in the mess of units. And if nothing is out of the fight, I charge them right in from the rear, and weaken their back-line well. Just a calvary strategy.

If you fight on woodland, hide your troops and make the rest chase your general to tire them in the meanwhile you can send another cavalry to take care of their siege engines and/or archers