Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need for more controversy?

Default Need for more controversy?

I just wondered - recently, the site has been quite harmonic to my noob-eyes, but isn't it controversy that keeps discussion alive?

I think controversy produces heated arguments, heated arguments result in more hits for the site - therefore, staff policy should be shifted towards allowing more controversial posts, making more controversial members citizens - metaphorically I'm asking for a little shift towards entropy over enthalpy in site policy for the sites sake.

Just a thought - comments?

under the patronage of Belisarius

Default Re: Need for more controversy?

Q&S has a little stirring of the proverbial pot, I'd bet we'll get some controversy soon enough.
    Patronized by happyho in the Legion of Rahl
    Quote Originally Posted by Eugene Debs
    The Republican and Democratic parties, or, to be more exact, the Republican-Democratic party, represent the capitalist class in the class struggle. They are the political wings of the capitalist system and such differences as arise between them relate to spoils and not to principles.

Søren's Avatar ܁
    Patrician Citizen Magistrate Administrator Emeritus

TWC seldom needs to court controversy. Controversy has been quite a generous friend in the past, and has not yet turned stingy.

Quote Originally Posted by Niccolo Machiavelli View Post
    I just wondered - recently, the site has been quite harmonic to my noob-eyes, but isn't it controversy that keeps discussion alive?

I think controversy produces heated arguments, heated arguments result in more hits for the site - therefore, staff policy should be shifted towards allowing more controversial posts, making more controversial members citizens - metaphorically I'm asking for a little shift towards entropy over enthalpy in site policy for the sites sake.

Just a thought - comments?
    How about this one. I am 2 people. Sometimes one of me posting, the other times it's someone else with access to my account.
    See if you could find evidence for this...

@Rhinosaur: Yup - and I do my (drunk) best to post in an irritating manner, yet I think the controversy should be moved to the curia to make people wish to become citizens. Why should anyone wnat to post in tele-tubbie-land?

I think e.g. enoch and prof420 should be re-instituted as citizens, as they obviously care about the curia far more than most citizens do...

...just for the fun of it...

[edit]: HA: I suffer from schizophrenia as well, so it's too uncontroversial to bother, really
    Last edited by Niccolo Machiavelli; July 25, 2007 at 07:39 PM.

@Rhinosaur: Yup - and I do my (drunk) best to post in an irritating manner, yet I think the controversy should be moved to the curia to make people wish to become citizens. Why should anyone wnat to post in tele-tubbie-land?

I think e.g. enoch and prof420 should be re-instituted as citizens, as they obviously care about the curia far more than most citizens do...

...just for the fun of it...
    Agreed. It gets too slow in the Civ only areas for my taste, I often feel like livening up the place while intoxicated (more than I currently am).

It's like any great sport, the rivalries and grudges and politics make the best matches even greater. A little fighting goes a long way towards my entertainment.

Edit: my other half doesn't post much, he's the sober one
    Patronized by happyho in the Legion of Rahl
    Quote Originally Posted by Eugene Debs
    The Republican and Democratic parties, or, to be more exact, the Republican-Democratic party, represent the capitalist class in the class struggle. They are the political wings of the capitalist system and such differences as arise between them relate to spoils and not to principles.

Cough..open Curia = controversy (That was my point).
    /cough.

@Rhinosaur: My other half is a total bore - he wouldn't post on an internet board at all.

*burps* having that said, I assure you that this half is relatively sober .

In general, I'd say that it's no coincidence most successfull online games are about conflict - unlike the heavy petting zoo called CVRIA...

Opening the curia is bound to work something :
    Whoever gives nothing, has nothing. The greatest misfortune is not to be unloved, but not to love.
    -Albert Camus

Ragabash's Avatar Mayhem Crop Jet
    Civitate

Me and Ragabash think that we allow, and have already quite amount of controversial members as citizens. For the posts, we do not take action against posts that do not violate ToS, no matter how controversial they might be.
    Under Patronage of Søren and member of S.I.N.

Aristocrat & Dinadan: I've allways opposed the opening of the curia as I think that the current problem with citizenship is that it is pointless as it is now. Why would anyone want to be citizen right now? To post in another Q&S forum?

Opening up the curia would devalue citizenship and render it just another rep-cookie (which it is in its current state).

Rather than opening up the curia, I think that members who are capable of patronizing members (I can't) should look out for people that would make the curia a more interesting place rather than conformably posting members.

Rags: I don't accuse moderators of anything - I think the rules to be stripped of rank are a bit narrow, and concerning certain members, I am pretty sure someone has it in for someone in terms of reporting posts (see someone being reported for "flaming" his own alter ego - clearly none of the reporting persons business).
    Last edited by Niccolo Machiavelli; July 26, 2007 at 07:48 PM.

Aristocrat & Dinadan: I've allways opposed the opening of the curia as I think that the current problem with citizenship is that it is pointless as it is now. Why would anyone want to be citizen right now? To post in another Q&S forum?

Opening up the curia would devalue citizenship and render it just another rep-cookie (which it is in its current state).

Rather than opening up the curia, I think that members who are capable of patronizing members (I can't) should look out for people that would make the curia a more interesting place rather than conformably posting members.
    Exactly. Why should we have two Q&S forums? We have one, that arguably does nothing or bare minimum for the site and is used for ego-stroking(curia), and another that isn't always listened to (Q&S), because of the private pleasure house Q&S , the curia.

What makes citizenship special? Special .png image by my name?(like anyone gives a ****) Ability to influence a site?(by awarding each other medals?) And the people that would liven up the curia either have a bad past, warnings, or have made a few too many enemies/left bad tastes in others mouths.

Only reason perhaps we should keep it closed is if something along the lines of the new bill limiting the debating of word X in line X and perhaps the curia would more influence more important site matters on a more regular basis making it a true privilege to actually influence something other then frivolous and small matters
    Whoever gives nothing, has nothing. The greatest misfortune is not to be unloved, but not to love.
    -Albert Camus

I find it really strange that none of you elitists has responded here, but still whine about the Curia while doing nothing about it, as the person in the linked thread with the opposite(?) opinion does.

Tom Paine's Avatar Mr Common Sense
    Patrician

Silver Spring, Maryland (inside the Beltway)

Might be something to do with the need for something substantive to reply to, SirPaladin. I might add that the thread starter asked a wholly unrelated question, and you went off on a total tangent with Prof.

Is that even a half-argument? Dinadan replied to Machiavelli, who was merely mirroring my point in that thread.

I don't know why I am asking, actually. The reason is that you don't want to be humiliated by prof. After all, Manstein resigned under prof's pressure.
    Last edited by iudas; July 27, 2007 at 07:43 AM.

Sir Dinadan: So what's your point? By opening up the curia, citizenship would become even more pointless than it allready is and thus could be abandoned altogether, which imho is a very vell viable option, but otoh, I think it adds flavour to the site and makes it more diverse and therefore interesting.

Let's face it: The curia in it's original purpose has outlived itself - now either get rid of it, find a new purpose or make that punch and judy show a tad more fun and therefore citizenship more appealing.

SirPaladin: I've read the thread but I largely fail to see how I am mirroring the point you were making(?)

Quote Originally Posted by SirPaladin View Post
    Is that even a half-argument? Dinadan replied to Machiavelli, who was merely mirroring my point in that thread.

I don't know why I am asking, actually. The reason is that you don't want to be humiliated by prof. After all, Manstein resigned under prof's pressure.
    Humiliated is the wrong word. The correct word would be harassed

Manstein didn't resign because prof humiliated him

Manstein resigned because TWC became a job, not a fun place anymore due to being harassed by people that can't take their punishment like a man.

Sir Dinadan: So what's your point? By opening up the curia, citizenship would become even more pointless than it allready is and thus could be abandoned altogether, which imho is a very vell viable option, but otoh, I think it adds flavour to the site and makes it more diverse and therefore interesting.

Let's face it: The curia in it's original purpose has outlived itself - now either get rid of it, find a new purpose or make that punch and judy show a tad more fun and therefore citizenship more appealing.
    Guessing no one wants the curia to be scrapped and Hex just to rule over(sorry fellas) I guess the only thing we can do is either make it work or patronize those trouble makers. PM me if you see any
    -Albert Camus

SirPaladin: I've read the thread but I largely fail to see how I am mirroring the point you were making(?)
    Aside from the fact that our points were identical, oh no, you weren't mirroring it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Dinadan View Post
    Humiliated is the wrong word. The correct word would be harassed

Manstein didn't resign because prof humiliated him

Manstein resigned because TWC became a job, not a fun place anymore due to being harassed by people that can't take their punishment like a man.
    Most of you would be humiliated.
    Manstein was harassed. Or rather brutishly insulted.

Well - actually I just cross-read the thread, but you had many points and to pick one example, IIRC you said that a member who has received warnings is "unworthy" of citizenship - actually that's quite the opposite of what my point in this thread is...

Captain Arrrgh!'s Avatar I'z in yer grass

Well noo.... If ye's likes controoversy...Tha Captain likes ta oocasionally strut aroond in a wuman's bodice an' sing show toons in tha privacy o' his cabin....
    .....Be dat controoversial enough?

.....Wait a bloody minoote...Yoo will keep dat a secret, roight?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast