Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: How To: Change Faction Religion and Church

Dragon Tex's Avatar Foederatus

Default How To: Change Faction Religion and Church

This tutorial is originaly by Gundug. With his permission, I am posting this for others since I have received several pm's on this. All credit goes to Gundug.

First of all, the easiest part is to edit descr_sm_factions.txt. Do a search for Saxons(Or the faction you're wanting to change). In their block of code, under religion, change catholic to pagan. Their priests will now convert regions to the Pagan religion.

Next open export_descr_buildings.txt. Do a search for "church" and this should bring you down to the code for Catholic churches. You can copy this entire block, from the start that begins "building temple_catholic" to the end "}" symbol that appears just before "building temple_orthodox". This is a very large block of code, and includes every Catholic church available for both cities and castles.

Once copied, the easiest way would probably be to paste the block at the end of the file, just below the existing "building temple_pagan" that is used by the Aztecs. The Saxons will not use that building though, only the new ones we are creating. At the beginning of the block you just copied, change "temple_catholic" to something new (in my case, I am calling it "temple_s_pagan"). Right below, where it says convert_to "temple_catholic_castle", change the name (in my case, I used "temple_s_pagan_castle"). On the next line, change religion to pagan.

Under levels, change the names of each upgrade (since I am lazy, I just added _p to every building, so: levels small_church_p church_p abbey_p cathedral_p huge_cathedral_p).

Below this, where it shows small_church city requires factions { normans, de..., change small_church to small_church_p and get rid of all of the factions shown within the { }. Add saxons in place of them. The result should be something like this: small_church_p city requires factions { saxons, } (be sure to keep all the spaces, commas, etc. that the original lines of code use)

In the block under "capability", get rid of all the priest recruitment options you will not need and leave only an option for the Saxons. Ex: agent priest 0 requires factions { saxons, }
    Below, under "upgrades" change "church" to the name you used for the next level of building - in my case: "church_p".

Here is my finished building block for small_church_p:
    small_church_p city requires factions { saxons, }
    {
    convert_to 0
    capability
    {
    agent priest 0 requires factions { saxons, }
    happiness_bonus bonus 1
    religion_level bonus 1
    pope_disapproval 1
    agent_limit priest 1
    }
    material wooden
    construction 1
    cost 800
    settlement_min town
    upgrades
    {
    church_p
    }
    }

You must simply follow the same pattern for the next buildings in the list. The castle temples work in the same way as the city versions. Just be sure to change the "convert_to temple_catholic" to the name you used for the city category - in my case: "temple_s_pagan".

Once all of the buildings have been modified, you can then edit export_descr_buildings_enums.txt. Do a search for "small_church". Copy the entire block of names from that to "chapel_southern_european_desc_short" and paste them either to the end of the file, or to keep all of the churches together, you can paste the new block after one of the other groupings. You will then need to rename every line so the building reflects what you entered in the buildings file.
    Example:
    small_church_p
    small_church_p_desc
    small_church_p_desc_short
    small_church_p_northern_european
    small_church_p_northern_european_desc
    small_church_p_northern_european_desc_short
    small_church_p_mesoamerican_desc
    small_church_p_mesoamerican_desc_short
    small_church_p_middle_eastern_desc
    small_church_p_middle_eastern_desc_short
    small_church_p_eastern_european
    small_church_p_eastern_european_desc
    small_church_p_eastern_european_desc_short
    small_church_p_greek_desc
    small_church_p_greek_desc_short
    small_church_p_southern_european
    small_church_p_southern_european_desc
    small_church_p_southern_european_desc_short

Once that is done, search for "temple_catholic_name" in the same file. Copy that and "temple_catholic_castle_name" and paste the block of text where you would like them to appear. Right below is probably easiest. Change those to what you used for the category of the churches. In my case it would look like:
    temple_s_pagan_name
    temple_s_pagan_castle_name

After all of this is done, I think you should be done with all of the basic building creation work. Now you need to define the names for the buildings. To do this, go to the "text" folder. Hopefully, there are regular txt files that you can edit there. If not, you will need Alpaca's strings_bin converter, which you can get here: http://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=75229

Once you have workable txt files, you will need to edit export_buildings.txt. Open that file and do a search for small_church. Copy from the dividing line between records (looks sort of like this: ¬--------------) all the way down to where it says:
    {chapel_southern_european_desc_short}
    A Chapel converts a small percentage of the region to Catholicism, improves happiness, and allows the Priest agent. You can paste the huge block down at the bottom of the file.

You then need to rename every listing for the churches to match what you called them in export_descr_buildings.txt.
    Below is an example of a listing for one building.

For my listings, I just needed to copy and paste a "_p" after church, since that is how I named the buildings. Be sure to change every one of the names in { } to match the new names you used, including the versions for other cultures. (note: you will not need to change every text description (shown in dark red) that follows the name in brackets if you don't want to, just the northern_european ones, since Saxons are northern_european, and no faction from another culture will need these churches - unless you change that).

{small_church_p} small_church_p

{small_church_p_desc} DO NOT TRANSLATE

{small_church_p_desc_short} DO NOT TRANSLATE

{small_church_p_northern_european} Small Church <--change this to whatever you would like to call the first level temple

{small_church_p_northern_european_desc}
    With devotion to God prevalent in medieval times, even the smallest of churches are an important building in the communities they grace. Though relatively humble by Catholic standards, small churches are still well built, and are typically one of the most impressive buildings in their locale. <--change this description to whatever you like

{small_church_p_northern_european_desc_short}
    A Small Church converts a very small percentage of the region to Catholicism, and improves happiness. <--change this as well

{small_church_p_mesoamerican} Small Church (this and all the following text descriptions can either be copied directly from the northern_european ones, or you can leave them alone. These other factions will never be able to build these churches, so it will not matter)

{small_church_p_mesoamerican_desc}
    With devotion to God prevalent in medieval times, even the smallest of churches are an important building in the communities they grace. Though relatively humble by Catholic standards, small churches are still well built, and are typically one of the most impressive buildings in their locale.

{small_church_p_mesoamerican_desc_short}
    A Small Church converts a very small percentage of the region to Catholicism, and improves happiness.

{small_church_p_middle_eastern} Small Church

{small_church_p_middle_eastern_desc}
    With devotion to God prevalent in medieval times, even the smallest of churches are an important building in the communities they grace. Though relatively humble by Catholic standards, small churches are still well built, and are typically one of the most impressive buildings in their locale.

{small_church_p_middle_eastern_desc_short}
    A Small Church converts a very small percentage of the region to Catholicism, and improves happiness.

{small_church_p_eastern_european} Small Church

{small_church_p_eastern_european_desc}

{small_church_p_eastern_european_desc_short}

{small_church_greek} Small Church

{small_church_greek_desc}

{small_church_p_greek_desc_short}

{small_church_southern_european} Small Church

{small_church_southern_european_desc}

{small_church_p_southern_european_desc_short}

Once you have changed the descriptions for every level of church you created (a ton of work), you should be almost done. Now do a search for {temple_catholic_name}. Copy that and the {temple_catholic_castle_name} blocks and paste, just below, if you like. Edit those to reflect the correct names - in my case:
    {temple_s_pagan_name}
    Churches <-- whatever you want to call these buildings

{temple_s_pagan_castle_name}
    Churches

After that, save, and you should be all set. There will not be good images in the game to represent the new buildings (the game will use a generic building image), but everything should be working.

As for the images for the buildings, I will add how I got it to work later. But the above is a start if you're wanting to make thoses changes.

Default Re: How To: Change Faction Religion and Church

when i search for export_descr_buildings_enums.txt
    i cant find it please tell how can i get please

Have you unpacked the pack files? Search it in the downloads section

malcolm mcdowell's Avatar Miles

if i were to say change the russians to catholic, would they automatically appear on the pope's screen etc, or would that require a lot of work?

Outcast's Avatar Civis

eer, where is descr_sm_factions located? Or I need to download it?

TiTiTimmy's Avatar Centenarius

You'll need to unpack it first!

joedreck's Avatar Artifex

hi,

how can i create a second slave priest, which convert the region to my own made religion?
    Edictum mod adds new edicts to Rome II. http://www.twcenter.net / YouTube: Edictum Mod / Click here for Edictum Mod on steam
    Vote Brain Slug for president.

Quote Originally Posted by malcolm mcdowell View Post
    if i were to say change the russians to catholic, would they automatically appear on the pope's screen etc, or would that require a lot of work?
    Yes they are going to be there I did it my self and made several crusades

Don't forget to change the religion of your regions

Icon9 Re: How To: Change Faction Religion and Church

Hi, I know this thread is a little old, but I'm still having problems. I believe I have followed all instructions to the utmost (adjusting them for my faction, of course), but Scotland is still bloody catholic when I start a new campaign. Any advice would be helpful here, I'm at my wits end with this thing...:hmmm:

have you tried changing both sm_factions, and world/maps/campaigne/imperial_campaign/descr_strat to your religion?
    did you also eliminate all instances of scottland under catholic buildings?
    Also unless you change the mesh and textures your priests will still look catholic, and also the portraits which are in the base game under UI or under UI in your mod folder. Also the priests mesh and textures are in models_strat. But I am still having trouble getting mine to work, right now I have a catholic ghost.

Julianus Flavius's Avatar Campidoctor

Sorry if this is too old to be bumped, but I'm trying to convert the Byzantines to Paganism. I'vefound the instructions a tad confusing so I think I screwed up, but I don't know where. When I click on the grand campaign as Byzantines and click start it stays where it is for ages and then goes back to the single-player menu. Here are my files.
    Attachment 65000

Attachment 65001

Attachment 65002

EDIT: Don't worry, I've sorted it out.
    Last edited by Julianus Flavius; December 04, 2009 at 10:45 PM.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    What have the Romans ever done for us?? apart from better sanitation and medicine and education and irrigation and public health and roads and a freshwater system and baths and public order... what have the Romans done for us?
    Some of my favourite quotes:
    "Your god has yet to prove himself more merciful than his predecessors" ~ Hypatia, as represented in the film 'Agora'
    "If you choose to do nothing, they will continue to do this again and again, until there is no-one left in the city, no people for this governement to govern"
    ~ Hypatia, as represented in the film 'Agora'

How to add new religion? new church?

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician Moderator Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Blog Entries

Where is 'export_descr_buildings_enums.txt.'?
    And is it possible to do all this for heretic religion?
    Last edited by sportsman81; January 26, 2010 at 09:07 PM.

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician Moderator Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Blog Entries

Where is 'export_descr_buildings_enums.txt.'?
    The enums files are not required anymore for kingdoms. Same applies for Med2 I believe.

Makrell's Avatar The first of all fish

Does this work with changing the culture

Quote Originally Posted by Makrell View Post
    Does this work with changing the culture
    No it doesn't.
    And about this i'm answering this question in other thread u just opened.

Hello

Nice tutoria, I want to add Lithuania (pagan religion) to my mod (I use bare geomod). I use aztecs as a base.
    My scenario:
    1 In geomod i set then religion -> pagan and make aztecs playable (city, character ect.)
    2 I added all mandatory records in files (building),
    3 launched game and choosed aztecs,
    4 I build church and recruit priest
    5 But after that pagan religion in my region is decreases (catholic religion increase).

What should I do ?

Best regards
    Przemek

does this work in stainless steel?

Heathen Storm's Avatar Where's my axe?

Quote Originally Posted by Théoric HämmerHörde View Post
    does this work in stainless steel?
    Should work in any mod whatsoever

Proud mod leader, modeller and public relations officer of Heišinn Vešr: Total War

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast