Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Islamic generals are hugely overpowered

Edelward's Avatar Vicarius

Default Islamic generals are hugely overpowered

I do need to deploy 5-7 spearmen units and two Templar general units to take down a single Egyptian/Moor/Turkic general unit !! ...??
    This hugely disbalance battles so far .
    OK we check attributes
    Western general attack 13 defence 16
    Eastern general attack 14 defence 18 !!!
    On what base are higher attributes given to Islamic generals ,I wonder ??
    Historicaly one western european knight costed 2,5 arabic bodyguards .
    This was a historicaly registered proportion on which Crusader kings were parleying with Islamic kings 20 knights as bodyguard to Crusader king vs 50 mameluk bodyguard of Egyptian sultan .or 40 knights to 100 mameluk
    So maybe for game-balance purpose Islamic bodyguard should have
    attack 12 defence 14 ,
    but those attributes you gave to them is pure historical fiction .
    Last edited by Edelward; July 23, 2007 at 06:46 AM.
    Fitz Salnarville, Duke William's favourite knyghte,
    To noble Edelwarde his life dyd yielde;
    Withe hys tylte launce hee stroke with thilk a myghte,
    The Norman's bowels steemde upon the feeld.
    Old Salnarville beheld hys son lie ded, 235
    Against Erie Edelward his bowe-strynge drewe;
    But Harold at one blowe made tweine his head;
    He dy'd before the poignant arrowe flew.
    So was the hope of all the issue gone,
    And in one battle fell the sire and son

delra's Avatar Praepositus

Default Re: Islamic generals are hugely overpowered

Maybe they need more protection as eastern princesses want to take revenge for not being included in the game.

I think all general units got overpowered a little too much in SS 4.0. I had 3 spear militia on a single general's unit and I only managed to kill about 7 of the bodyguard while it killed 60 of my guys.

Caesar Clivus's Avatar SS Forum Moderator

Cavalry in general are overpowered in SS 4.0. Install the RC changes by Shaeyffer and Quark. Makes things a lot more balanced.

BftB2 UPDATED 22nd DECEMBER. Member of the Complete Byzantine Unit Roster team

Edelward's Avatar Vicarius

Where to get that ?

[edit] Sorry I've found that
    Last edited by Edelward; July 23, 2007 at 07:44 AM.
    Fitz Salnarville, Duke William's favourite knyghte,
    To noble Edelwarde his life dyd yielde;
    Withe hys tylte launce hee stroke with thilk a myghte,
    The Norman's bowels steemde upon the feeld.
    Old Salnarville beheld hys son lie ded, 235
    Against Erie Edelward his bowe-strynge drewe;
    But Harold at one blowe made tweine his head;
    He dy'd before the poignant arrowe flew.
    So was the hope of all the issue gone,
    And in one battle fell the sire and son

lol that cat picture always makes me laugh. so random i know, but anyhoo cavalry has been made amazingly fantabulous in this mod. Playing as the egyptians and spamming mamluks is a lot of fun. I agree though it is a bit overpowering, but hey a few tweaks here and there then the game feels great, especially if your playing on hamachi against your buddy who thinks he can stop your kataphractoi charge with his army of pikemen, and archers lol.

Quote Originally Posted by ProneStar! View Post
    lol that cat picture always makes me laugh.
    Hehe thanks. Thats my cat Clive...of course the roman helmet is photoshopped on

Quote Originally Posted by Caesar Clivus View Post

This link is dead

Ludicus's Avatar Comes Limitis
    Citizen

Cavalry in general are overpowered in SS 4.0.
    True.
    @KingKong
    Is it possible to tone down the cavalry?
    Comparing Darth Mod with SS,the cavalry is really overpowered in SS4.0,but not anymore in Darth Mod.
    Just try ,for instance, a costum battle:1 unit lancers versus 1 unit Aventuros with both mods and you will see a huge difference.

psh, NO, it's just my opinion, but NO, what are you guys thinking? i mean i don't really understand? Cavalry are very very powerful unit in medieval time, they could very well be the strongest type of troops, ever wondered why the mongols sweeped europe and middle east? Because of their superior archery and best cavalry in the known world. The cavalry in medieval time is very powerful, realistically, they keep charging back and force, but since this is a game, mobility have decreased a big time, and that will be made up by powering up the cavalrys. When i was playing older versions, i was always frustrated by how much my cavalry sucks, their charge barely works and very few damage is being done. I love darth mod, it is way better than RC, RC just balanced some little things, there are things that i agree with in there, such as knights being so much more powerful than peasants, BUT, their battle system is not even much better than vanilla IMO. Someone explain to me, why you would possibly want RC over Darth mod. Don't get me wrong, RC is great, but i don't believe there is a better battle mod out there at the moment
    Last edited by Mike13531; July 23, 2007 at 05:54 PM.

+rep for me if you agree with me , i might give it right back to you

Ludicus's Avatar Comes Limitis
    Citizen

i mean i don't really understand?
    No,you donīt.Read again my post.A pikemen unit must have a chance against a cavalry unity.And it does not happen.(SS4+Hotfix3)

Someone explain to me, why you would possibly want RC over Darth mod
    Read again my post.
    Edit:and I love Darth battle modifications,too.
    Last edited by Ludicus; July 23, 2007 at 06:05 PM.

Mameluks were superior to most western cavalry, if not all. It's time that certain myths die because it's ridiculous to believe that you'd always need 100 Easterners for one Western Knight. Is there some special diet involved? Drugs, medicine? From the time of the Romans until now it's always the goodies having to fight "superior" numbers. Oh such concidence...

yeah, but you do realize that since before roman times, even before alexander, there has always been a huge mass of bodies coming from the east. The majority of the time throughout history the east had superior numbers. Its kinda funny if you look at it, if you go from west to east the size of empires and populations rise. Look at persia, india, then china, and so on and so forth. There is a very strong basis for the argument that the west was always outnumbered, not just a silly myth like you believe. As to the effectiveness of western military elite vs. eastern military elite, no one really knows. Even considering all of what we know you cant so who was better overall, it comes down to so many individual factors its impossible to say.

Oh well go back to arguing over the internet, over a video game. lol

that stupid cat lol, its like he wants to kill me

Quote Originally Posted by Mike13531 View Post
    psh, NO, it's just my opinion, but NO, what are you guys thinking? i mean i don't really understand? Cavalry are very very powerful unit in medieval time, they could very well be the strongest type of troops, ever wondered why the mongols sweeped europe and middle east? Because of their superior archery and best cavalry in the known world. The cavalry in medieval time is very powerful, realistically, they keep charging back and force, but since this is a game, mobility have decreased a big time, and that will be made up by powering up the cavalrys. When i was playing older versions, i was always frustrated by how much my cavalry sucks, their charge barely works and very few damage is being done. I love darth mod, it is way better than RC, RC just balanced some little things, there are things that i agree with in there, such as knights being so much more powerful than peasants, BUT, their battle system is not even much better than vanilla IMO. Someone explain to me, why you would possibly want RC over Darth mod. Don't get me wrong, RC is great, but i don't believe there is a better battle mod out there at the moment
    /agree with ludicus all the way on this one. I like a lot of the stuff in darthmod, but one cavalry unit should not be able to take out 3 full units of spearmen. Cavalry were powerful in medieval times, but so were pikemen, which is one of the reasons why the swiss mercenaries were so feared and respected in Europe; their long pikes could poke very large holes in knights and their horses. And even without the historical context, having one type of unit that is more powerful than all others and doesn't have an effective counter ruins the balance of gameplay.

And BTW, the Mongols were feared much more for their missiles cavalry than for their heavy cav. I think the main crux of the discussion here is that melle cavalry just tramples everything underneath, no matter what it is. Missile cavalry is fairly balanced, imo.

I like Darth's stuff too. Jedi cavalry aside - I didn't much care for the missile troop stats either so I'm using RC.

Sometimes I like to favour the campaign map and auto resolve my way through a campaign and RC works very well in that regard also.

What i have a huge problem with is that the charge bonus has been reduced and the meele is stronger...WTF? Thats the exact opposite of what it should be. In real life the lance charge dominated the battlefield for centuries, and in meele, cavalry were vulnerable. The reduction of the charge bonus is just a complete waste of time, AS charges were perfect as they were BEFORE.

Chola_Kingdom's Avatar Senator

it's good to be overpowered
    if you are pro you know why

Fan of True Mods for the MTWII :[Stainless steel, Broken Crecent]
    Stainless steel compatible Cinema editorial : Guide
    Viscount In TWC

Quote Originally Posted by AdmiringtheEnemyeh? View Post
    What i have a huge problem with is that the charge bonus has been reduced and the meele is stronger...WTF? Thats the exact opposite of what it should be. In real life the lance charge dominated the battlefield for centuries, and in meele, cavalry were vulnerable. The reduction of the charge bonus is just a complete waste of time, AS charges were perfect as they were BEFORE.
    Totally agree. Install RC if you haven't already. The cav charges are very powerful in RC, perhaps a little too powerful. I like that generals bodyguards are just as vulnerable as regular heavy cav in RC too.

randir14's Avatar Ordinarius

The cavalry in RC is definitely better. A unit of lancers will completely demolish most units in one charge, which is as it should be. On the other hand if cavalry gets tied up in a melee fight they will go down.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast