Thread: Texture Stretching Issue - Happens In All Games

Trajan's Avatar Capodecina

Default Texture Stretching Issue - Happens In All Games

Just recently, I'm getting this weird texture stretching issue that's appearing in all my games. This is how it looks like in Oblivion:

I have a XFX GF 7900GT 256MB 560MHz/1.65GHz and I'm using the XG 162.18 32 bit XP driver. I'm also using nHancer 2.2.3 to control my driver settings.

Can anyone point out what's causing the problem and how I can fix it?

Default Re: Texture Stretching Issue - Happens In All Games

That's most likely caused by your graphics card overheating.

How well ventilated is your case, and have you cleaned your fans recently?

Got any idea of your idle temps (shown in the nvidia driver controls)?
    Citizen under the patronage of Garb.
    Ex Administrator, Senior Moderator, and Content Editor.

Yeah, I was told the same thing on another forum. Looks like my damn PC case has poor ventilation in there. Idle temps are like in the late 50's and regular temp should be 52 so a good cleaning should drop that back down. I'm going to go and see if I can buy a better case. What a pain in the ass.

Thanks Sapi

Could you try taking the side panel off?

I did that for mine and while it appears to be fairly dusty temps at least have dropped by a good 10 degrees. Dells old cases are like ovens.

That's what I'm doing whenever I play one of my games until my new case gets here.

ANother thing you may want to do is give the case and parts a good cleaning. Dust can pile up and really cause a lot of overheating

Thanks, I'm going to give the whole computer a good cleaning later on today.

You better use compressed air, if you just use a duster it may damage something.

Quote Originally Posted by Roman Clone View Post
    You better use compressed air, if you just use a duster it may damage something.
    As long as the vacuum isn't touched (*shudders) it should be fine

Needless to say, never clean while plugged in
    Citizen under the patronage of Garb.
    Ex Administrator, Senior Moderator, and Content Editor.

Turn off 'Write enabling/write combining' in the Nvidia menu. I had problems like yours till I switched it off.
    'When people stop believing in God, they don’t believe in nothing — they believe in anything. '

-Emile Cammaerts' book The Laughing Prophets (1937)

Under the patronage of Nihil. So there.

Then, my other forum lied to me

Sorry for being off topic, but if electric like sounds are coming out of my speakers/ head phones, it makes the sounds when windows makes the startup sounds and playing You tube videos? any Suggestions/idea what it is?

Quote Originally Posted by Markas View Post
    Turn off 'Write enabling/write combining' in the Nvidia menu. I had problems like yours till I switched it off.
    Markas, is that what it's called exactly? I can't find it man. I looked everywhere in the Nvidia control panel but couldn't find that option.

I really hope it's caused by that option because even though I cleaned my VC and PC of all the dust and opened up the case to get better ventilation when playing games, I still sometimes see it. That would mean that the card was damaged a little.
    Last edited by Trajan; July 25, 2007 at 05:53 PM.

I doubt that could be the cause, if it was damaged, you would have much serious problems. Do you have the latest drivers?

You mean the latest official driver, 94.24? No, I'm using a modified beta driver, XG 162.18. You know, I remember noticing this problem ever since I began using the 160 drivers. Maybe that's the cause. I'm going to see if anyone else using these drivers are having the same problem.

Beta Driver? I see the problem already.

I think it's just the 160 drivers. Maybe it just doesn't like my setup. I never had any problems with the 150s and downward.

Trajan, you might need Coolbits to do what Markas suggested...I'm not sure as I use RivaTuner.

Quote Originally Posted by Trajan View Post
    Markas, is that what it's called exactly? I can't find it man. I looked everywhere in the Nvidia control panel but couldn't find that option.
    Sorry for delay I'm a bit blind! The option is in (I think) My computer->Control panel->Display->settings->advanced->troubleshooting. I think you have to restart when you un-tick the box. Hope that helps!
    Last edited by Markas; July 26, 2007 at 08:00 AM.
    'When people stop believing in God, they don’t believe in nothing — they believe in anything. '

-Emile Cammaerts' book The Laughing Prophets (1937)

Under the patronage of Nihil. So there.

Quote Originally Posted by Markas View Post
    Sorry for delay I'm a bit blind! The option is in (I think) My computer->Control panel->Display->settings->advanced->troubleshooting. I think you have to restart when you un-tick the box. Hope that helps!
    Then I don't think that's the cause of my problems because if it was, I would have been seeing it a long time ago. This problem just started occurring early this month. I'm going to try a previous driver that I had success with and if I still see those stretches, I'll try turning off write combining.
    Last edited by Trajan; July 26, 2007 at 03:16 PM.

fatsheep's Avatar Civitate

The most useful thing you could try would be to uninstall these BETA drivers and reinstall the DEFAULT Nvidia drivers. If that fixes the problem then you have found the source. Also, I would make sure you are getting a performance benefit out of those drivers by running 3d benchmarks such as Aquamark and 3dmark. I tried some drivers a while back that supposedly offered better performance but when I benchmarked them they lowered my framerate.

Also, consider using a free version of driver cleaner after unistalling the drivers to make sure all driver components are removed. I found that helpful a few times.