Thread: A Tribunal Alternative - Trial by Jury

Gaius Baltar's Avatar Old gods die hard
    Blog Entries

Default A Tribunal Alternative - Trial by Jury

Before possibly moving this proposal into the Prothalamus, I wanted to get some reactions and feedback.

In general, the idea will replace the current Tribunal System with a Trial by Jury system. This would involve presentation of the case to the recruited Jury of 5 Civitates, overseen by the Tribunal Judge.

The Jury would determine guilt or innocence, and suggest a penalty, the choices of which would be given to them by the Tribunal Judge.

Feedback???

​​
    Pillaging and Plundering since 2006

The House of Baltar

Neither is this the dawn from the east, nor is a dragon flying above, nor are the gables of this hall aflame. Nay, mortal enemies approach in ready armour. Ravens are calling, wolves are howling, spear clashes and shield answers

imb39's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    Patrician Citizen spy of the council

Default Re: A Tribunal Alternative - Trial by Jury

No. Quite simply, no. I wouldn't even try to pursue it, it will only get vetoed.

Ragabash's Avatar Mayhem Crop Jet
    Civitate

imb39.

It's still worth of a discussion, don't eliminate the idea before points from both side are made.
    Under Patronage of Sĝren and member of S.I.N.

Fabolous's Avatar Power breeds Arrogance

Ugh no. This proposal is not one I would ever support. Its aims are not ones I could possibly agree with, and there is no way I could support moderation actions being thrown to the unprepared Citizen's like that.
    tBP knows how to handle a sword. -Last Crusader

Under the Honorable Patronage of Belisarius
    Formerly Under the Patronage of Simetrical
    Proud Patron of Lusted, Rome AC, Solid, and Dirty Peasant

Simetrical's Avatar Former Chief Technician
    Patrician

Do feel free to discuss this and present a Curial Decision if you're so inclined. It will, however, absolutely and without question be vetoed if you propose it as an amendment, and not implemented if you propose it as a decision. So you may want to spend your time elsewhere.
    MediaWiki developer, TWC Chief Technician
    NetHack player (nao info)

Risen from Prey

Garbarsardar's Avatar Et Slot i et slot
    Patrician Tribune Citizen Magistrate spy of the council

I will comment on this proposal if some proper reasoning is presented together with a workable system. Presently it is at the stage of "let's paint everything yellow for no particular reason"....

Absolutely not.

Unless, of course, you want to see impartiality and objectivity walk right out the door with the current batch of judges...
    Citizen under the patronage of Garb.
    Ex Administrator, Senior Moderator, and Content Editor.

Tacticalwithdrawal's Avatar Ghost

The reason I'd opposethis is that a jury system would result in huge dramas, favouritism and judgements being applied because of who the individual is rather than the merits of the case. I know this would happen as it is exactly what happens when ostrakons take place, emotion gets involved and high profile 'popular' individuals get away with things that they really shouldn't.

In addition, it would mean that the whole process would take longer, not just the cases themselves but the whole circus of electing juries etc.

So, if you want the Tribunal to go back to being an 'event', entertainment even, then this is the route to take (and, that may actually be what people want). But in the past the Tribunal being seen as entertainment has caused a lot of annoyance and disquiet.

So, for me personally, I'd rather keep it the way it is.
    : - It's my smilie and I'll use it if I want to......

Ave Caesar, Morituri Nolumus Mori (in Glaswegian: gae **** yrsel big man)

Civitate

THe jury bit I can understand, but not sentancing. We have set penalties in place, and when the new ToS comes into play, the penalties will be dead clear.
    As Garb says, there is no reasoning presented for this idea. Why do you want it, Gauis? Just for the sake of democracy? TWC is not a democracy, imb is kind enough as it is to allow for a Tribunal.
    Under the patronage of Rhah and brother of eventhorizen.

Hotspur's Avatar I've got reach.
    Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by Tacticalwithdrawal View Post
    The reason I'd opposethis is that a jury system would result in huge dramas, favouritism and judgements being applied because of who the individual is rather than the merits of the case. I know this would happen as it is exactly what happens when ostrakons take place, emotion gets involved and high profile 'popular' individuals get away with things that they really shouldn't.

In addition, it would mean that the whole process would take longer, not just the cases themselves but the whole circus of electing juries etc.

So, if you want the Tribunal to go back to being an 'event', entertainment even, then this is the route to take (and, that may actually be what people want). But in the past the Tribunal being seen as entertainment has caused a lot of annoyance and disquiet.

So, for me personally, I'd rather keep it the way it is.

What he said.

oh my gods no

what tac said

Scorch's Avatar One of Giga's Ladies
    Patrician

Why on earth would a jury of several randomly picked members suggest a penalty? That would require them to review every case. That's insane.
    Patronized by Ozymandias, Patron of Artorius Maximus, Scar Face, Ibn Rushd and Thanatos.

The University of Sydney | Bachelor of Arts III (Majoring in Ancient History and Italian Studies)

I do not fear death. I had been dead for billions and
    billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it.
    - Mark Twain

Godless Musings: A blog about why violent fairytale characters should not have any say in how our society is run.

Jubal_Barca's Avatar Master Engineer

This has some merits, a halfway house might be better, with 5 tribunal judges chosen by the current systme, two of whom must be senatorii or wahtever like it is at the moment and three of whom may be chosen by the other two form the wider curia?

I don't really agree with this, but I do think that having a few normal civs doing the trib might be an idea...
    Sine remo flumine adverso - Latin, 'up the creek without a paddle'.
    Mod leader of Warhammer Total War, Narnia Total War, and A Game of Colleges: Total War

Under the patronage of Aden of Woodstock, The Black Prince.

Scorch's Avatar One of Giga's Ladies
    Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by Jubal_Barca View Post
    This has some merits, a halfway house might be better, with 5 tribunal judges chosen by the current systme, two of whom must be senatorii or wahtever like it is at the moment and three of whom may be chosen by the other two form the wider curia?

I don't really agree with this, but I do think that having a few normal civs doing the trib might be an idea...
    Possibly, but really, moderating experience is a must. It helps in creating valid interpretations of the ToS.
    Patronized by Ozymandias, Patron of Artorius Maximus, Scar Face, Ibn Rushd and Thanatos.

The University of Sydney | Bachelor of Arts III (Majoring in Ancient History and Italian Studies)

I do not fear death. I had been dead for billions and
    billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it.
    - Mark Twain

Godless Musings: A blog about why violent fairytale characters should not have any say in how our society is run.