Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Heading for greener pastures

Default Heading for greener pastures

I am here to announce my immediate resignation as Chief of Moderation. During my six months at this site I have always attempted to carry myself in a professional and mature manner, particularly after I joined Staff last February. I find myself unable to continue doing so and, rather than embarrass Staff and bring disgrace on the position of Chief of Moderation, I will be taking an extended leave of absence instead and resigning my position, effective immediately. I have at all times attempted to carry out the duties of the CoM in a fair and equitable manner and hope that my contributions during my last 6 months of activity have been beneficial to the site. I have truly enjoyed working with the vast majority of this site's membership and regret that my departure could not have come at a more opportune time with advance notice. Unfortunately, having had to endure three months of non-stop personal attacks from one self-obsessed diva without having the ability to properly respond has created more stress than any volunteer position should ever cause; as a married law student, I already have more than enough of that in my life. While it does pain me to leave this site, I ultimately must focus on keeping my RL in good order first and foremost.

While my sudden departure without warning will no doubt be an inconvenient surprise for both Hex and the Moderating Branch, I have attempted to tie up any and all loose ends over the last few hours. Policies that I have implemented over the past months should ensure that the Den will run smoothly in the hands of the Strategoi until such time that Hex sees fit to appoint a successor. I have made a recommendation to Hex regarding potential successors and trust that any decision they make will be an excellent choice.

Again, I apologize for the abrupt nature of this affair; I have no desire to break a long-standing self-imposed policy against flaming, however, nor do I wish to cause any problems to Staff by doing so, so ultimately the needs of the site are best served in this way.

The best of luck to all of you in the future.

Regards,

Manstein
    Son of Simetrical son of Crandar son of Siblesz
    Citizen, Patrician, 3rd Speaker of the House, former CoM

I IP banned 1/6 of Romania and all I got was this lousy sig.
    "A society that puts equality ahead of freedom will end up with neither."
    Manstein's Muscle Thread

Scorch's Avatar One of Giga's Ladies
    Patrician

Default Re: Heading for greener pastures

This will make all the wrong people way too happy ... this is a travesty ...

Damnit ...

I really trusted you Manstein, and I owe you a lot. It's likely you won't see this, but damnit ... I don't think anyone ever wanted this to happen.
    Last edited by Scorch; July 20, 2007 at 05:11 AM.
    Patronized by Ozymandias, Patron of Artorius Maximus, Scar Face, Ibn Rushd and Thanatos.

The University of Sydney | Bachelor of Arts III (Majoring in Ancient History and Italian Studies)

I do not fear death. I had been dead for billions and
    billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it.
    - Mark Twain

Godless Musings: A blog about why violent fairytale characters should not have any say in how our society is run.

If you feel it is bringing you too much grief, I applaud your decision.

I have also made my thoughts on the Prof Vs Staff saga known before (you can never actually win with him, backs you into a corner and so forth...thats the gist of the post I made), and always felt bad for those who had to deal with it, not because he doesn't make good points (which he does sometimes) but the sense of hostility in every post he makes about it makes it almost impossible for staff to be objective.

I believe that this was the case with the latest episode in that sage (Diva thing), but that is my personal opinion.

Either way, it is sad to see a hard working staff member, Hex Member, Administrator, and Chief of Moderation go.

Just step back and let the stress slip away, it, he isn't your problem now.

(I'm not trying to attack or slander Prof. It is pretty obvious that dealing with him from a staff perspective can be somewhat of a nightmare, especially if he gets the proverbial bit between the teeth.
    Personalities clash more often than not in situations like that).

Tom Paine's Avatar Mr Common Sense
    Patrician

Silver Spring, Maryland (inside the Beltway)

This will make the wrong people feel they've won and happy. It will also make all the right people, all the moderators you've helped, all the Hex members you've kept in line and beaten down (Hi!) depressed. However, its your choice; and you feel you've made the right one, going so far as to demote yourself. Sad to see you go Man... you were one hell of a guy to work with, and an awesome moderator and CoM to see at work. I feel priviledged.
    Last edited by Ozymandias; July 20, 2007 at 05:26 AM.

Good luck in life mate.

Indefinitely Banned

Contrary to many naysayers, I will say that you were a good and professional moderator. I have some fond memories of your cautions and warnings (and bans!), but its all in good spirit since I deserved them

Best of luck in flesh and blood life!

****, this isn't how things are supposed to be.

Your reasons for leaving are understandable, and some would say inevitable, but still aren't 'right'

I know things haven't always seemed to go well for you here, but hell, doing your best is all you can ever do. It's sad that the good done must be overshadowed by the small doses of contentious events; but that's life - we don't like it, but we can't help it.

You were good; it says something that those opposed were those affected by your decisions. Yep, it ****ing sucks

All I can say at this point; all any of us can say, is 'good luck in the real world'
    Last edited by sapi; July 20, 2007 at 05:18 AM.
    Citizen under the patronage of Garb.
    Ex Administrator, Senior Moderator, and Content Editor.

I've seen some "victims" of your infractions complain about your poor professionalism too, but I can't see how that might have affected you in any way. Did you expect them to be happy? (not everyone is fair-play like mirage)
    The punished cannot judge the punisher.

Lusted's Avatar Look to the stars

Sad to see you go EvM, you were a good CoM despite what others may have said.
    Creator of:
    Lands to Conquer Gold for Medieval II: Kingdoms
    Terrae Expugnandae Gold Open Beta for RTW 1.5
    Proud ex-Moderator and ex-Administrator of TWC from Jan 06 to June 07
    Awarded the Rank of Opifex for outstanding contributions to the TW mod community.
    Awarded the Rank of Divus for oustanding work during my times as Administrator.

happyho's Avatar chillipies

I wish you well in everything you do EVM, I was never one of those that had a problem with your style or actions as CoM. You were one of those that was willing to volunteer your time to help TWC, when so many of us don't have the time or technical knowledge to get involved more. Because of that I hope everything works out for you in your personal life and online existence.

Take it easy Manstein.
    Patronized by Corporal_Hicks

and Patron of Rhinosaur, Spartan_Shame and Captain Blackadder

Ragabash's Avatar Mayhem Crop Jet
    Civitate

It's sad to see you go, but I applaud your decision anyhow, real life should always come first, and internet boards next. I'm quite sure I will see you around, either as a member of the staff or not, so this is not a goodbye, but welcome to greener pastures of the site.
    Under Patronage of Sĝren and member of S.I.N.

Tacticalwithdrawal's Avatar Ghost

it is always good to remmber this is just a site on the web - I forgot that and got into real problems and that's why I walked away.

So I understand your decision and applaud your bravery - but I'm still sad you have gone, you were good and I was just beginning to understand you (through the Tribunal)
    : - It's my smilie and I'll use it if I want to......

Ave Caesar, Morituri Nolumus Mori (in Glaswegian: gae **** yrsel big man)

Halie Satanus's Avatar Emperor of ice cream
    Blog Entries

Sad to see you go Erich, though fully understandable.

Gaius Baltar's Avatar Old gods die hard
    Blog Entries

The post of COM is kinda like the Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher at Hogwarts.

Overall you performed admirably in the position, despite the litany of personal attacks you had to deal with.

Well, good luck with RL.

​​
    Pillaging and Plundering since 2006

The House of Baltar

Neither is this the dawn from the east, nor is a dragon flying above, nor are the gables of this hall aflame. Nay, mortal enemies approach in ready armour. Ravens are calling, wolves are howling, spear clashes and shield answers

I've been away from site politics for a while so all i know is that its a terrible thing to see a senior staff member who commanded so much of my trust feel he has to resign.

Fabolous's Avatar Power breeds Arrogance

EVM, I know quite well how much the posistion can wear on someone, and the attacks on you were, from all evidence I have seen, baseless. That probably only added to your struggle. You were one of the fast risers staff has seen, and from day one of your time you had those of us in hex (the very people who selected you) suprised by your objectivity and decision making.
    You were the brightest star, and you rose to the top. And at the top you performed while facing constant attacks right from the start. You were put in a situation were no one could succeed and you went ahead and did so anyways.

No one should have to go through what you did, and so even while I'm disappointed in your resignation, both for the loss of your quality and for the message it sends, no one can blame you for stepping down. Volunteer posistions should never be something you dread.

In the end though, I'm most disappointed that you say you're leaving the site. Drop in from time to time. Its alot easier time-wise when there are no pressures to be in every day, seemingly all the time, to deal with crisis after crisis. At the very least, when your wife is sleeping, hop on for a little EUIII MP.
    tBP knows how to handle a sword. -Last Crusader

Under the Honorable Patronage of Belisarius
    Formerly Under the Patronage of Simetrical
    Proud Patron of Lusted, Rome AC, Solid, and Dirty Peasant

Romanos's Avatar Hey

Manstein, this is just so sad, I always thought of you has one of the best moderator and friend on this site and all the things you wen't through just to keep people happy, its just a shame but I hope you can get a good break.
    Under the Great and Honorable Patronage of Fabolous
    Patron (father) of Sir Matthias and ForgottenImmortal
    Grandson of Lucius Veronus
    Member of S.I.N
    Sept 2003 - 2004 - 2nd Generation Jun 23 2004 (25-Feb)

A good man! though I didnt get to know you well...

good luck!
    Well, if I, Belisarius, the Black Prince, and you all agree on something, I really don't think there can be any further discussion.
    - Simetrical 2009 in reply to Ferrets54

Godspeed Von Manstein. Keep the sun on your back on those greener pastures, in other words best of luck in the real life. Seriously in my mind harasment is harasment,whether it was on internet forum or in the real world. While im bit rusty on the current TWC politics, im pretty sure what this was about and like i have sayed before. I wonder when is time when ones bad character and vicious behaviour outweights ,his or hers contributions to the community and the site. Where the line should be drawn?

Wild Bill Kelso's Avatar Protist Slayer

It doesn't take any courage to always stand on the sidelines and criticise the actions and goings on of HEX and staff (while never actually having any direct experiance). What does take courage is to take on the role of CoM or any other staff position and do your best regardless of all the black flies(people from northern latitudes will udnerstand) that continuously buzz around your head. EvM, you did an excellent job under the circumstances. The only thing I find slighlty saddening is the outpouring of support here in the Curia now after you have decided to leave, rather than before while you were slugging it out in the mud.
    Last edited by Wild Bill Kelso; July 20, 2007 at 11:41 AM. Reason: clarity
    Still here since December 2002
    At sometime I patronized all these old bums:Necrobrit, Sulla, Scrappy Jenks, eldaran, Oldgamer, Ecthelion,Kagemusha, and adopted these bums: Battle Knight, Obi Wan Asterixand Muizer

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast