Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eat the placenta!!!... ?

Default Eat the placenta!!!... ?

Debi French was dreading the birth of her fourth child. She wanted the baby, to be sure, but she was terrified of being visited again with the overwhelming despair that came over her in the days and weeks after her last delivery.
    French's midwife offered her an unusual remedy: She suggested the expectant mother ingest her own placenta as a means of allaying postpartum depression. The temporary organ was saved, dried and emulsified, then placed in gelatin capsules and taken by the mother in the months after the birth in December 2004.
    "Before I actually did it, my friends thought it was weird," says French, 29, of Spokane, Wash., whose fifth child is due in August. "But when they saw how fast I recovered from my birth and they knew my history, they thought it was pretty neat. Now I have a lot of friends planning to do it."
    The practice, known as placentophagy, is far from widespread and is received with great skepticism by more traditional medical experts. But among a small but vocal contingent of expectant mothers and proponents, it is strongly believed that the organ created by the woman's body to pass nutrients between mother and fetus and is expelled after birth is rich in chemicals that can help mitigate fluctuations in hormones believed to cause postpartum depression.
    It's pretty self explanatory... but is it a placebo effect, or did ingesting her own discharged placenta actually help her get over the supposedly inevitable depression?

Here's the whole article:
    http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/...ngestion_N.htm

Join me at dinooftheweek.blogspot.com

Finn's Avatar Total Realism

Default Re: Eat the placenta!!!... ?

That has to be one of the most digusting things Ive ever heard of, Ive seen a placenta or two and they're not to appetizing, to say the least.

Roy Batty's Avatar Senator

Eat the placenta!!!... ?
    Hippy Stew. Yum yum!
    The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all.
    H. L. Mencken

Simetrical's Avatar Former Chief Technician
    Patrician

The article addresses it well. Possible? Yes. Likely, based on available evidence? No.
    MediaWiki developer, TWC Chief Technician
    NetHack player (nao info)

Risen from Prey

Well it's not uncommon among animals. It is nutritous to be sure, so animals eat it to recover those nutrients. But medicinal benefits? I don't think there's ever been a study. Some birds like ostriches will also eat left over egg shells after their chicks hatch.

Quote Originally Posted by allthesedamnnamesaretaken View Post
    Well it's not uncommon among animals. It is nutritous to be sure, so animals eat it to recover those nutrients. But medicinal benefits? I don't think there's ever been a study. Some birds like ostriches will also eat left over egg shells after their chicks hatch.
    Some animals also eat their own feces because there are nutrients in it... I wouldn't advise any women to start doing that though haha

Join me at dinooftheweek.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by mightyfenrir View Post
    Some animals also eat their own feces because there are nutrients in it...
    some animals like beavers and rabbits can't digest break down their food on the first pass through their digestive system because the bacteria that breaks down the food into nutrients they can absorb live in the lower intestine, while absorption takes place in the upper intestine. they actually have 2 types of feces that they can tell whether it's the 1st pass or 2nd pass type. they will only eat the 1st pass feces to absorb the nutrients.

however, some less intelligent animals, like dogs, will actually eat their own feces.

Quote Originally Posted by mightyfenrir View Post
    I wouldn't advise any women to start doing that though haha
    actually, some women do... but to prove it i'd have to link you to sites that are probably not allowed on this particular forum. hint: they get paid to do it (or so I hope)

scat test: http://www.modestypanel.com/snackorscat/
    can you tell the difference? i would have eaten 5 pieces of poo!
    Last edited by allthesedamnnamesaretaken; July 20, 2007 at 09:32 PM.

Only two pieces for me.

Valentin the II's Avatar Primicerius

actually, some women do... but to prove it i'd have to link you to sites that are probably not allowed on this particular forum. hint: they get paid to do it (or so I hope)
    I knew some people like strange pron but damn!

None for me.
    Born to be wild - live to outgrow it (Lao Tzu)
    Someday you will die and somehow something's going to steal your carbon
    In contrast to the efforts of tiny Israel to make contributions to the world so as to better mankind, one has to ask what have those who have strived to eliminate Israel from the face of the earth done other than to create hate and bloodshed.

There are some people who eat aborted fetuses in China/Korea.
    They pull it out, cook it and then eat it.

see here: *graphic*
    http://poetry.rotten.com/infantiphagia/taboo2.html
    Last edited by VALIS; July 21, 2007 at 06:20 PM.

Indefinitely Banned

No way, that has to be a hoax!

see it wasnt as disgusting as i expected, gelatin capsules...i wanted the midwife to walk in to find the mother covered in blood with a last inch of the umbilical cord hanging out the corner of her mouth
    Sired by Niccolo Machiavelli
    Adopted by Ferrets54
    Father of secret basement children Boeing and Shyam Popat

Valentin the II's Avatar Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by Duke View Post
    There are some people who eat aborted fetuses in China/Korea.
    They pull it out, cook it and then eat it.

see here: *graphic*
    http://poetry.rotten.com/infantiphagia/taboo2.html
    That looks like a burnt doll.
    There is no way its real.
    Born to be wild - live to outgrow it (Lao Tzu)
    Someday you will die and somehow something's going to steal your carbon
    In contrast to the efforts of tiny Israel to make contributions to the world so as to better mankind, one has to ask what have those who have strived to eliminate Israel from the face of the earth done other than to create hate and bloodshed.

Quote Originally Posted by Valentin the II View Post
    That looks like a burnt doll.
    There is no way its real.
    It is, they interveiwed that guy on some documentary, he was an artist ans it was supposed to make a statement, although, what that was is beyond me. He said "In the holy books of all the faiths in the world, it doesn't say that it's wrong" in his defense.

Thanatos's Avatar Now Is Not the Time
    Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Serious samurai View Post
    It is, they interveiwed that guy on some documentary, he was an artist ans it was supposed to make a statement, although, what that was is beyond me. He said "In the holy books of all the faiths in the world, it doesn't say that it's wrong" in his defense.
    Somebody's going to hell...

Quote Originally Posted by Serious samurai View Post
    Wrong wrong wrong. He was an artist eating a FAKE baby....

http://www.snopes.com/horrors/cannibal/fetus.asp

Half the reason they do it isn't do recover nutrients.... it's to hide the evidence. If you're an animal and leave stuff like that lying all over the place, a predator is going to find it... realise you have babies, and will know that there's an easy meal about.
    Last edited by jimbob; July 24, 2007 at 07:00 PM.

MasterInquisitor's Avatar Ordinarius

Supposedly animals will lick amniotic fluid off of their newborn (I don't want to picture a mother doing that in hospital) and then they eat the placenta in order to regain nutrients that have been lost during the birth. Humans however don't need to do this as we have so much stuff from food to pills which can replace nutrients. Some people still eat placenta, and apparently it looks like mince when it's cooked. Gross.
    So leave eating placenta to sheep and cows and goats. And for wild animals to cover up the fact they have kiddies. Humans don't need to do it, and frankly, it's fairly icky.
    Quote Originally Posted by Noble Savage View Post
    A chomping evil Kentish Giraffe who constantly sings "Four legs good ,two legs bad"

Primicerius
    Invercargill, te grymm und frostbittern zouth.

Think if it as a sort of human semi-haggis.

however, some less intelligent animals, like dogs, will actually eat their own feces.

That's because they don't wanna leave their sent laying around, like at the birth of a young wolfwelp the mother will eat every feces the young ones drop.

Roy Batty's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Aether View Post
    That's because they don't wanna leave their sent laying around, like at the birth of a young wolfwelp the mother will eat every feces the young ones drop.
    For some reason I doubt all of this predator-placenta feces coalation. Many predators have a very good sense of smell, that is to say, they would smell the infant just as easily as they would the mess of its birth, as well as the small fragments left behind in spite of the eating/licking/consuming.

That, and keep in mind the pretty regular life cycles of most animals in the wild. Most predators instinctively know when their prey are in the birthing season anyway, and know when to look out for an easy meal.
    The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all.
    H. L. Mencken

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast