Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Michael Vick indicted for dog fighting

Big War Bird's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Default Michael Vick indicted for dog fighting

NFL Quarterback Michael Vick Indicted in Dog Fighting Case
    Tuesday , July 17, 2007

Atlanta Falcons quarterback Michael Vick was indicted Tuesday by a federal grand jury on charges related to illegal dog fighting.

Vick and three others are charged with competitive dog fighting, procuring and training pit bulls for fighting and conducting the enterprise across state lines.

The dog fighting operation was named "Bad Newz Kennels," according to the indictment, and the dogs were housed, trained and fought at a Surry County, Va., property owned by Vick.

The indictment alleges that the 27-year-old Vick and his co-defendants began a grisly dogfighting operation in early 2001 in which dogs fought to the death — or close. Losing dogs were sometimes killed by electrocution, drowning, hanging or gunshots.

If convicted, Vick and the others — Purnell A. Peace, Quanis L. Phillips and Tony Taylor — could face up to six years in prison, $350,000 in fines and restitution.

Telephone messages left at the offices and home of Vick's attorney, Larry Woodward, were not immediately returned. A woman who answered the phone at the home of Vick's mother said the family knew nothing about the charges.

"We are disappointed that Michael Vick has put himself in a position where a federal grand jury has returned an indictment against him," NFL spokesman Brian McCarthy said.

"The activities alleged are cruel, degrading and illegal. Michael Vick's guilt has not yet been proven, and we believe that all concerned should allow the legal process to determine the facts."

After an initial raid in April, Vick said he was rarely at the house, had no idea it may have been used in a criminal enterprise and blamed family members for taking advantage of his generosity.

On Vick's Web site, he lists his birthplace as Newport News, "a.k.a. BadNews."

The four men were accused of "knowingly sponsoring and exhibiting an animal fighting venture" and conducting a business enterprise involving gambling, as well as buying, transporting and receiving dogs for the purposes of an animal fighting venture.

Purses for the fights ranged from hundreds of dollars to the thousands, and participants and spectators placed side bets, the document said.

About eight young dogs were put to death after they were found not ready to fight in April 2007. They were killed "by hanging, drowning and/or slamming at least one dog's body to the ground," according to the indictment.

The FBI and local authorities have been investigating the allegations since an April 25 drug raid at the property Vick owned.

Authorities seized 66 dogs, including 55 pit bulls, and equipment commonly used in dogfighting. About half the dogs were tethered to car axles with heavy chains that allowed the dogs to get close to each other, but not to have contact — an arrangement typical for fighting dogs, according to the search warrant affidavit.

The indictment said dogfights were held at the Virginia property and dog owners brought animals from six states, including New York and Texas.

In a search warrant executed July 7, the government said the fights usually occurred late at night or in the early morning and would last several hours.

Before fights, participating dogs of the same sex would be weighed and bathed, according to the filings. Opposing dogs would be washed to remove any poison or narcotic placed on the dog's coat that could affect the other dog's performance.

Sometimes, dogs weren't fed to "make it more hungry for the other dog," it said.
    http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,289693,00.html

How do you screw up being a millionaire athlete?
    As a teenager, I was taken to various houses and flats above takeaways in the north of England, to be beaten, tortured and raped over 100 times. I was called a “white slag” and “white ****” as they beat me.

-Ella Hill

Default Re: Michael Vick indicted for dog fighting

I said something about this in the other thread.

Suffice to say, there goes any optimism I might have had for this season.
    Sponsored by the Last Roman

NaptownKnight's Avatar Praeses

Haha, Joey Harrington and no receivers, good luck Atlanta! On a more serious note, will Michael Vick ever play in the NFL again if convicted?

why would you watch dogs fight...WHY? (if hes a millionaire he might even be able to afford a PS3!!!)
    Sired by Niccolo Machiavelli
    Adopted by Ferrets54
    Father of secret basement children Boeing and Shyam Popat

Well, another douchebag is found out.

Good riddance, we don't need any more people like him as role models.

And you know what they say...all serial killers start with killing animals.

As a dog owner I don't see how anyone could bring themselves to do the things they do to those dogs. I mean has anyone heard about how the Dogs are trained? Or what they do if the dog becomes seriously injured?

And you know what they say...all serial killers start with killing animals.
    Osama Bin Laden started out flying light aircraft into dog shelters FACT
    Adopted by Ferrets54

That last comment was supposed to be half a joke, but it wasn't a very good one. Let my point be that Vick probably sucks as a person.

An interesting read on the matter:
    http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/column...ohn&id=2940188

I'm annoyed at pro sport attitudes after reading it.

That last comment was supposed to be half a joke, but it wasn't a very good one. Let my point be that Vick probably sucks as a person
    half joke wouldnt that make it half true? were they model planes?
    Adopted by Ferrets54

Quote Originally Posted by NaptownKnight
    Haha, Joey Harrington and no receivers, good luck Atlanta! On a more serious note, will Michael Vick ever play in the NFL again if convicted?
    Ha.

No secret about it. We're going down hard this year. I mean hard.

Quote Originally Posted by NaptownKnight
    As a dog owner I don't see how anyone could bring themselves to do the things they do to those dogs. I mean has anyone heard about how the Dogs are trained? Or what they do if the dog becomes seriously injured?
    Yeah.

Part of the reason why I'm not *too* upset is because it takes a certain type of person to want to see two dogs fight until death.
    Last edited by David Deas; July 17, 2007 at 07:51 PM.

Icon9 Re: Michael Vick indicted for dog fighting

Quote Originally Posted by David Deas View Post
    Ha.

No secret about it. We're going down hard this year. I mean hard.
    Well...uh....at least you have a couple of extra second round draft picks to help ease the pain.

(Patron of Lord Rahl)

And thats the thing that really disappoints me. We would have had a chance to let Matt Schaub show what he can do after all.

As Falcon luck would have it, the year that great opportunity falls to us is the year we trade it away.

Quote Originally Posted by David Deas View Post
    And thats the thing that really disappoints me. We would have had a chance to let Matt Schaub show what he can do after all.

As Falcon luck would have it, the year that great opportunity falls to us is the year we trade it away.
    It would have been better for the Texans (and my sanity) if they had seen how he does on a regular basis, instead of just one (?) recent start (it was a loss, but he did play rather well). Then again, if he turned out to be a superstar, the Texans would never have been able to get him...

Eh...Maybe Schaubbie will kick ass for the Texans and Harrington will discover himself in Atlanta, and they'll play each other in the Super Bowl. I'd laugh.
    (Patron of Lord Rahl)

Wow Joey Harrington is one lucky *****, hes getting so many chances after showing he failed with the lions.

Culpepper gets wtf pwned by injury and vick get wtfpwned by the law.
    Swear filters are for sites run by immature children.

Wait a minute, first Culpepper, now Vick! Theres a conspiracy, the NFL does not want black QB's to succeed! Start up the million man march!

the_mango55's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    Citizen

Culpepper will be back.

He's pretty good.

Plus there is still McNabb, he's really good (when healthy).
    ttt
    Adopted son of Lord Sephiroth, Youngest sibling of Pent uP Rage, Prarara the Great, Nerwen Carnesîr, TB666 and, Boudicca. In the great Family of the Black Prince

mrmouth's Avatar flaxen haired argonaut

Even worse is the amount of players coming to his defense. Some saying "its a mans sport" and other things along those lines.

That is why I just cant take the NFL seriously, the majority of these clowns would be shooting each other in the streets if they didn't get a full ride through college where they were treated like kings. Ive always been old fashioned, but my contempt for the NBA and the NFL goes beyond yearning for the glory days of these sports. I just cant taken either seriously any longer, mostly because of the individuals playing and the mentality they bring to the field/court.

On a positive note, my lifelong love affair with Baseball couldnt be stronger at the moment.

Well to be fair not all players and teams mimick the Bengals. The Colts have Tony Dungy, a very old school and respectable man as their coach, and quite possibly the humblest player of all time, Marvin Harrison ( Barry Sanders was the same way as Marvin). Of course theres always going to be clowns in any sport, who have no brains and to much money to throw around. But lets not get to hasty, he hasn't been convicted yet. And I know one old school football player who puts todays players to shame in the dumb*** category, O.J. Simpson.

the_mango55's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by BarnabyJones View Post
    Even worse is the amount of players coming to his defense. Some saying "its a mans sport" and other things along those lines.

That is why I just cant take the NFL seriously, the majority of these clowns would be shooting each other in the streets if they didn't get a full ride through college where they were treated like kings. Ive always been old fashioned, but my contempt for the NBA and the NFL goes beyond yearning for the glory days of these sports. I just cant taken either seriously any longer, mostly because of the individuals playing and the mentality they bring to the field/court.

On a positive note, my lifelong love affair with Baseball couldnt be stronger at the moment.
    That's the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard.
    ttt
    Adopted son of Lord Sephiroth, Youngest sibling of Pent uP Rage, Prarara the Great, Nerwen Carnesîr, TB666 and, Boudicca. In the great Family of the Black Prince

Kretchfoop's Avatar Civitate

Quote Originally Posted by the_mango55 View Post
    Culpepper will be back.

He's pretty good.

Plus there is still McNabb, he's really good (when healthy).
    Yuck, Culpepper is a shell of his former self. The guy has just completely unravelled over the last couple years, I think he'll be out of the league within a few years. He did really well for us here in Minnesota, one of the most underrated QBs in the league for a few years but I'm glad he's gone now.
    Under the patronage of Last Roman.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast