Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Breaking noob boxes

Default Breaking noob boxes

Hi, is there any efficient way to break a Spartan Noob Box. Whenever i play my friend online he always uses them and i can never entice him out of his position.

I have tried the obvious tactics of archers and artillery but they take ages. Basically i want a fairly quick way of destorying a noob box.

Default Re: Breaking noob boxes

Armenia- Cataphract Archers and Horse archers only. Then shoot the spartans in the back. Concentrate all ur archers on teh backs of one spartan unit at a time.

when phalanxes have to reorder you can **** them up good style so throw everything at one unti and once its gone your friend will have to rearange things...then you strike
    Sired by Niccolo Machiavelli
    Adopted by Ferrets54
    Father of secret basement children Boeing and Shyam Popat

Cata archers run out of ammo very very quickly, too quickly to leave a big enough dent. The best tactic is probably to be Macedon or Rome so you have good archers, plus good inf to finish them off. However, the more money you play, the harder it is to beat the box.

Use a lot of horse archers. Alternatively, try Rome with archers and concentrated pila fire followed by a massive attack on his weak spot. When the enemy begins to rout, drive all your units into the hole strike the other phalanxes in the back. Leave cavalry out of the box so when they turn to face your infantry you can strike hard at them, causing a massive rout.
    "Romans not only easily conquered those who fought by cutting, but mocked them too. For the cut, even delivered with force, frequently does not kill, when the vital parts are protected by equipment and bone. On the contrary, a point brought to bear is fatal at two inches; for it is necessary that whatever vital parts it penetrates, it is immersed. Next, when a cut is delivered, the right arm and flank are exposed. However, the point is delivered with the cover of the body and wounds the enemy before he sees it."

- Flavius Vegetius Renatus (in Epitoma Rei Militari, ca. 390)

Quote Originally Posted by Colossus View Post
    Cata archers run out of ammo very very quickly, too quickly to leave a big enough dent. The best tactic is probably to be Macedon or Rome so you have good archers, plus good inf to finish them off. However, the more money you play, the harder it is to beat the box.
    Actually, that's why I get the cata archers, to finish off the enemy...The army is all horse archers, and 4 cata archers. It works fine. I beat an all spartan noob box in 5 minutes, just because I concentrated all units on one of theirs at a time. Hit 'em in the back and it is easy.

Well, most games I ever play have a max 2 ha rule, but then most my opponents dont make boxes...

Alternatively, pound the angles. If you can form a wedge, and maybe a gap, in one of the angles, you can then pour your troops into his box, and he's fried.

Roshak's Avatar Senator

Is art allowed? Pummel with onagers.

The best way to beat the Spartan box is to take it out with range weapons of archers or pila. So Rome is the best choice for this.

If you don't to be rome I recommend being Pontus. Get archers and upgrade their attack to full, get some upgraded Thracian mercenary Bastarnae and Bronze pikemen and you should be able to break it.

Arrogance is the Leading Cause of Defeat.

New to the Multiplayer or just Total War games? Check out Roshak's Guide

Bring your own noob box, with a couple of archer units. Then just sit there til he gets bored.

Retired moderator of TWC
    | Under the patronage of Atterdag

Prince_of_Macedon's Avatar Πρίγκηψ της Μακεδονίας

Quote Originally Posted by celtic_warlord422 View Post
    Hi, is there any efficient way to break a Spartan Noob Box. Whenever i play my friend online he always uses them and i can never entice him out of his position.

I have tried the obvious tactics of archers and artillery but they take ages. Basically i want a fairly quick way of destorying a noob box.
    It's pretty easy:
    - Kill his archers
    - Shoot all of your arrows into his Spartans (they like fighting in the shade afterall)
    - March your army against his Spartans and slaughter them like goats (they make good eating afterall)
    - Game Over
    HOW TO PLAY EMPIRE TOTAL WAR OFFLINE

"It is a lovely thing to live with courage and to die leaving behind an everlasting renown." - ALEXANDER THE GREAT

Watch my online-commentary battles here
    Under the Patronage of Hader

I can't believe he thinks artillary takes too long. I could sit for hours and watch flaming onager projectiles blast a noob box....

A good way is to get some chariots and line them up with the corners of his box and just ram them through the corner and make them run around inside the box, the best unit is the selucid chariot.

Do followıng:
    Concentrate wıth your strongest Unıts(Urban Cohorts) the Attack on one poınt
    but before you attack,attack wıth bows and Pila the poınt
    The charge and the spartan lıne wıll break and when he openes the box,attack wıth your cav from behınd and support your ınfnatry ın the spartan lıne wıth the rest of your ınfnatry

Busy!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Roshak View Post
    Is art allowed? Pummel with onagers.

The best way to beat the Spartan box is to take it out with range weapons of archers or pila. So Rome is the best choice for this.

If you don't to be rome I recommend being Pontus. Get archers and upgrade their attack to full, get some upgraded Thracian mercenary Bastarnae and Bronze pikemen and you should be able to break it.
    Ah! Artillery, i completely forgot about them! I did use baslistas but they were fairly slow. My friend is going to get a huge suprise when he next forms the box.

Shooting them to peices as everyone else has said is the best strategy. Against people you know who do this, its a vaible strategy, against randoms, people will go for a balanced army with a decent amount of infantry, cavalry and archers making the tactic pointless though, as you will not know weather they will do this or not.

So another way is just take a harsh apparoch, I have done and threated to leave a game and i give them 5 mins to start forming a propor battleline and wait for them to finsih before I attack, if by those 5 mins they havent started i leave. I don't mind any other formations, just that one.
    Si vis pacem, parem bellum
    If you seek peace, prepare for war
    -Publius Renatus

yes i agree with the archers and all but when you dont have missile units, you may want to hit one of their weakest corners with your best units. and when you make a big enough hole, charge your calvary in. i say you use this startegy with the romans because of their infantry.
    To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence;
    supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting.

What do you mean by "noob box" - do you mean the standard phalnax formation that /phalnaxes are supposed to be used for/? If you can't beat someone by flanking them or other trickery, sounds as if the 'noob' is smarter then you are.

Quote Originally Posted by lastofthelight View Post
    What do you mean by "noob box" - do you mean the standard phalnax formation that /phalnaxes are supposed to be used for/? If you can't beat someone by flanking them or other trickery, sounds as if the 'noob' is smarter then you are.
    Read the thread first, and then post something constructive.

Horse Archers. Heavy Cavalry.
    Just target the backs of the troops on the other side of the box. If the box is too big, target the perpendicular edge, so you hit them from the back and side. If he moves his phalanx after you he has broken his formation and left a gap. Hit it with Heavy cavalry (Charge, withdraw, regroup, charge).

Or take the scenic artillery route with some infantry to protect the artillery.

Alternatively, any units that cause fear coupled with some fodder and heavy cavalry. Send the fodder at one side, with the general behind continually rallying them, then when his phalanx gets a little out of shape (generally they start to reform on an angle) hit them with the units that cause fear (IE elephants if they are allowed, chariots if not). Then poor in some other troops to do the dirty work.

Key part is that you start a mass route and then laugh at him, possibly calling him names and insulting his mother.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast