Thread: "Very Long Spears"?

Default "Very Long Spears"?

I've always had doubts about the effectiveness of a Macedonian Phalanx. They get smaller stats than their hoplite couterparts, and the only bonus they seem to get are their "very long spears". But then, let's go to historical matters.

The sarissa, presumed to be work of the genius of Philip of Macedon, was a cumbersome and heavy pike. It would take two hands to carry it, and it was heavy enough for a strong soldier to carry and use all the day, so the phalanxes had smaller shields and lighter armour than the previous greek hoplites. Historically, this proved to be an advantage because phalanxes could engage enemies with impunity, as it would take a very strong enemy to get through the first and second line of spears and then do damage to the phalangites; even so, the phalangites had reserve swords for a close fight. They would also have an advantage against hoplites, because the thrusting hoplite spear was smaller despite the hoplon and the heavy armour hoplites could afford.

In-game, that's not the case. Where's the strenght in "Very Long Spears" if anyone can go through them and attack the phalangites? It's very easy for an Armoured Hoplite to get close to the enemy line and start thrusting the pike phalanx. In this case the hoplite's superior stats would make them win the day unless the phalangites have superior cavalry support. In fact, I think phalanxes are underrated: they should be able to do lots more damage to the enemy thanks to their long pikes, but they don't seem very superior to their hoplite counterparts anyway. A Levy Pikemen will rout Militia Hoplites, but will lose against normal Hoplites. Here we have the advantage of hoplites over a pike phalanx: they get more armour and attack, so they're less vulnerable to missile fire and manage to destroy both infantry and enemy phalanxes.
    "Romans not only easily conquered those who fought by cutting, but mocked them too. For the cut, even delivered with force, frequently does not kill, when the vital parts are protected by equipment and bone. On the contrary, a point brought to bear is fatal at two inches; for it is necessary that whatever vital parts it penetrates, it is immersed. Next, when a cut is delivered, the right arm and flank are exposed. However, the point is delivered with the cover of the body and wounds the enemy before he sees it."

- Flavius Vegetius Renatus (in Epitoma Rei Militari, ca. 390)

Prince_of_Macedon's Avatar Πρίγκηψ της Μακεδονίας

Default Re: "Very Long Spears"?

Phalangites got completely screwed by those Roman-loving game designers who couldn't afford a historical consultant.

In reality, the Macedonian phalanx (even at the time of the Roman invasion of Macedon) was absolutely invincible from the front. Any Roman unit that stood in its way got completely obliterated. Spartans, Thebans, Athenians all got owned by the Macedonian phalanx. Yet, in the game, it's completely reversed.

What allowed the legions to defeat these phalanx armies were:
    1) superior leadership & flexibility from Rome's junior officers which allowed the Romans to send in reserves at a moment's notice and the initiative required to re-direct maniples on the battlefield to encircle & slaughter the phalanx from its only vulnerable locations (the rear & flanks)
    2) rough terrain which destroyed the cohesion of a phalanx front
    3) declining quality of Macedonian cavalry at the time of the Roman invasion which was necessary to protect the flanks of the phalangites
    4) the lack of a great commander who could control the phalanx & heavy cavalry in tandem

To answer your question: the longer spears is just a graphical difference. As you already noted, pikemen/phalangites get owned by Spartans, Armoured Hoplites, Sacred Band Spearmen. And it certainly doesn't do much to prevent them from getting beaten by Urban Cohorts from the front, rear and sides. I think it's funny when Urbans simply jump over the sarissas. If any unit really tried that against a wall of sarissas, they would've been impaled Dracula-style.
    Last edited by Prince_of_Macedon; July 14, 2007 at 06:21 PM.
    HOW TO PLAY EMPIRE TOTAL WAR OFFLINE

"It is a lovely thing to live with courage and to die leaving behind an everlasting renown." - ALEXANDER THE GREAT

Watch my online-commentary battles here
    Under the Patronage of Hader

Quote Originally Posted by Barbarian_Prince View Post
    1) superior leadership & flexibility from Rome's junior officers which allowed the Romans to send in reserves at a moment's notice and the initiative required to re-direct maniples on the battlefield to encircle & slaughter the phalanx from its only vulnerable locations (the rear & flanks)
    Just a side note; Unrelated. While great generals are important. Leadership and flexibility in the lower tiers of military leadership is usually the start of an impressive military machine to come. When this goes away, even great war machines can be only a shadow of their former self. Just look at the United States military and you can see this slow decline in progress.

Uhh, Historically, didn't roman legions pwn Macedonian phalanxes?

Quote Originally Posted by Roman Clone View Post
    Uhh, Historically, didn't roman legions pwn Macedonian phalanxes?
    Uhh, didn't you read my post?

"It is a lovely thing to live with courage and to die leaving behind an everlasting renown." - ALEXANDER THE GREAT

Paul d's Avatar Praepositus

look at the wikipediia wiki on the battle of pydna. almost EXACTLY what Barbarian prince said.

the makedonians were screwed because:

1. improper use of Thorakai(sp?) heavy javelinmen similar to roman legios

2. over the years the hammer and anvil tactic deteriorated, because hellenic nations had greater difficulty fielding the heavy cavalry of Alexander's day. so it was the shoe and anvil.

3. inflexibility. if on a slope, they have no chance. at the battle of pydna, the roman legios managed to lure the phalanx up a hill, where they could slip between the pikes.

4. lack of competent command.

my solution:

go to the export-descr_units and increase attack by 4, and shield defense by 4.
    Last edited by Paul d; July 14, 2007 at 08:49 PM.

I am very disappointed in the Macedonian pikemen in RTW. I started my first Macedonian campaign a little while ago, and I was thinking "Wow, I will have both good infantry and cavalry at the same time."

Wrong. The Macedonian pike units cannot seem to hold their own against anyone I throw them against. Even fighting in the streets they were continually thrashed. It is always up to the cavalry (which is excellent) to save the day. Eventually I stopped using pikemen altogether and switched first to hoplites, and now finally to hypaspists.

Historically speaking, it should also be noted that in the time of Phillip and Alexander the sarissa was 12-15 feet long. By Pydna it had lengthened to around 21 feet, making it an even more cumbersome weapon, thusly exacerbating the ponderousness of the phalanx.

I am playing RTR, so I dunno if the phalangites are any stronger or weaker than Vanilla phalangites. But they are amazing. Although I use mass phalangites(since the AI does so too). I use other phalangites to outflank enemy phalangites lol. Although their stats are often inferior, the very long spears work great. At least for pinning the enemy. Then I use whatever I have left to attack from the rear. And for city defense its great.(Although its more likely due to bad pathing). I just have one phanlanx unit set up sideways along the gateway(so its parallel to the road from gateway to city). As the enemies rush in they get stabbed to death by my phanlangites. I originally tried having them face the gate, but it worked poorly because the enemy will spread out to the sides and the sheer amount of enemies would push my units back. But the phalangites suffer on the walls because enemy elite infantry hack them apart.

Part of the problem i think is how the phalanx formation works in game, if you watch the unit in battles often only a few of the pikemen are actually attacking while most are not(particularly the middle of the formation), this leads to the killing power of phalanx units being quite a bit less than their attack stas would imply.
    Regarding hoplites vs macedonian style phalanx, this could be due to hoplites in general having higher mass than their macedonian equivalents giving them the ability to push throught pikes better, when combined with their superior stats this makes them more effective than they should be.

@Barbarian Prince- nice post, just an additional point to take into account at Pydna, it seems likley that the romans at this time where more battle hardened than the macedonians (having just come through the 2nd punic war).
    Also it was perhaps not the absence of a great commander but the presence of an incompetent(and possibly cowardly to boot) one that made the difference.

The only way to fix this problem as far as i am aware is to modify pike phalanx stats to better represent the rank bous of these troops(annoyinginly not carried over from mtw), giving them +2 attack +4 defence should do the job, though it would need to be tested to ensure they dont become to strong.

Roshak's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Barbarian_Prince View Post

In reality, the Macedonian phalanx (even at the time of the Roman invasion of Macedon) was absolutely invincible from the front. Any Roman unit that stood in its way got completely obliterated. Spartans, Thebans, Athenians all got owned by the Macedonian phalanx. Yet, in the game, it's completely reversed.
    Just thought I point out though while your post is correct, the reason the Macedons won against the Greeks wasn't entirely thanks to their phalanx powers but also because of them being drained from the Peloponnesian War.

Arrogance is the Leading Cause of Defeat.

New to the Multiplayer or just Total War games? Check out Roshak's Guide

to bad that in the game, it says that the pikeman are made to defeat the hoplites. I guess they were wrong. :/
    To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence;
    supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting.

Quote Originally Posted by polarbear297 View Post
    to bad that in the game, it says that the pikeman are made to defeat the hoplites. I guess they were wrong. :/
    They also say that Rome has "limited cavalry."

Sacred Band own Royal Pikemen any day of the week.

Its fairly obvious they lose with a shield the size of a frisbee.
    Quote Originally Posted by A.J.P. Taylor
    Peaceful agreement and government by consent are possible only on the basis of ideas common to all parties; and these ideas must spring from habit and from history. Once reason is introduced, every man, every class, every nation becomes a law unto itself; and the only right which reason understands is the right of the stronger. Reason formulates universal principles and is therefore intolerant: there can be only one rational society, one rational nation, ultimately one rational man. Decisions between rival reasons can be made only by force.

Quote Originally Posted by H.L Spieghel
    Is het niet hogelijk te verwonderen, en een recht beklaaglijke zaak, Heren, dat alhoewel onze algemene Dietse taal een onvermengde, sierlijke en verstandelijke spraak is, die zich ook zo wijd als enige talen des werelds verspreidt, en die in haar bevang veel rijken, vorstendommen en landen bevat, welke dagelijks zeer veel kloeke en hooggeleerde verstanden uitleveren, dat ze nochtans zo zwakkelijk opgeholpen en zo weinig met geleerdheid verrijkt en versiert wordt, tot een jammerlijk hinder en nadeel des volks?
    Quote Originally Posted by Miel Cools
    Als ik oud ben wil ik zingen,
    Oud ben maar nog niet verrot.
    Zoals oude bomen zingen,
    Voor Jan Lul of voor hun god.
    Ook een oude boom wil reizen,
    Bij een bries of bij een storm.
    Zelfs al zit zijn kruin vol luizen,
    Zelfs al zit zijn voet vol worm.
    Als ik oud ben wil ik zingen.

Cò am Fear am measg ant-sluaigh,
    A mhaireas buan gu bràth?
    Chan eil sinn uileadh ach air chuart,
    Mar dhìthein buaile fàs,
    Bheir siantannan na bliadhna sìos,
    'S nach tog a' ghrian an àird.

Quote Originally Posted by Jörg Friedrich
    When do I stop being a justified warrior? When I've killed a million bad civilians? When I've killed three million bad civilians? According to a warsimulation by the Pentagon in 1953 the entire area of Russia would've been reduced to ruins with 60 million casualties. All bad Russians. 60 million bad guys. By how many million ''bad'' casualties do I stop being a knight of justice? Isn't that the question those knights must ask themselves? If there's no-one left, and I remain as the only just one,

Then I'm God.
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis Napoleon III, Des Idees Napoleoniennes
    Governments have been established to aid society to overcome the obstacles which impede its march. Their forms have been varied according to the problems they have been called to cure, and according to character of the people they have ruled over. Their task never has been, and never will be easy, because the two contrary elements, of which our existence and the nature of society is composed, demand the employment of different means. In view of our divine essence, we need only liberty and work; in view of our mortal nature, we need for our direction a guide and a support. A government is not then, as a distinguished economist has said, a necessary ulcer; it is rather the beneficent motive power of all social organisation.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfgang Held
    I walked into those baracks [of Buchenwald concentrationcamp], in which there were people on the three-layered bunkbeds. But only their eyes were alive. Emaciated, skinny figures, nothing more but skin and bones. One thinks that they are dead, because they did not move. Only the eyes. I started to cry. And then one of the prisoners came, stood by me for a while, put a hand on my shoulder and said to me, something that I will never forget: ''Tränen sind denn nicht genug, mein Junge,
    Tränen sind denn nicht genug.''

Jajem ssoref is m'n korew
    E goochem mit e wenk, e nar mit e shtomp
    Wer niks is, hot kawsones

Royal Pikemen have large shields don't they?

Yes, fairly large, but pikemen such as silver/bronze shield have very small shields, hence a defense of 14, rather than 17 of the royals.

Civis

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Croccer View Post
    Its fairly obvious they lose with a shield the size of a frisbee.
    And look at a WWII infantryman -- he doesn't have ANY shield. He'd definitely lose against a hoplite.

-Glee

Quote Originally Posted by Paul d View Post
    look at the wikipediia wiki on the battle of pydna. almost EXACTLY what Barbarian prince said.

the makedonians were screwed because:

1. improper use of Thorakai(sp?) heavy javelinmen similar to roman legios

2. over the years the hammer and anvil tactic deteriorated, because hellenic nations had greater difficulty fielding the heavy cavalry of Alexander's day. so it was the shoe and anvil.

3. inflexibility. if on a slope, they have no chance. at the battle of pydna, the roman legios managed to lure the phalanx up a hill, where they could slip between the pikes.

4. lack of competent command.

my solution:

go to the export-descr_units and increase attack by 4, and shield defense by 4.

Thats the battle I was thinking of.