View Poll Results: How often should we do the TWC awards?

Voters
54. You may not vote on this poll
  • Monthly

5 9.26%
  • Quarterly

6 11.11%
  • Bianually

25 46.30%
  • Anually

18 33.33%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TWC Awards

Jubal_Barca's Avatar Master Engineer

Default TWC Awards

How often should awards be handed out - monthly, quarterly, biannually or annually? There seems to be discussion going on, so I thought I'd make a poll...
    Sine remo flumine adverso - Latin, 'up the creek without a paddle'.
    Mod leader of Warhammer Total War, Narnia Total War, and A Game of Colleges: Total War

Under the patronage of Aden of Woodstock, The Black Prince.

Default Re: TWC Awards

polls aren't permitted in the Curia main, moved to Symposium

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=110096 ???

Is there really a need for two similar threads?
    Наиболее полное истребитель в мире

no, and the other one is pointless, since the other one is a leading poll, (see the options!) and since these awards are governed by the Curia

Yeah, I agree that those options are quite misleading. But I don't like the idea of restricting the opinions to Curia. Awards are not only for citizens and every member of the site has the right to give his choice on the matter. The poll's location is fine. However, an admin needs to edit the poll IMHO.

the whole POINT of the curia and citizenship is that only citizens have a say in how the site is run, that's THE big benefit, privilege of being a citizen, its the reason the system exists. If the members want to have a say, they should work hard to become citizens

Muizer's Avatar member 3519
    Patrician Artifex

Yes well, we can decide, as the Curia, that we want the members to decide..... The Curia has its own set of awards anyway. Let's not hog the stage.
    "Lay these words to heart, Lucilius, that you may scorn the pleasure which comes from the applause of the majority. Many men praise you; but have you any reason for being pleased with yourself, if you are a person whom the many can understand?" - Lucius Annaeus Seneca -

Halie Satanus's Avatar Emperor of ice cream
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by the Black Prince View Post
    the whole POINT of the curia and citizenship is that only citizens have a say in how the site is run, that's THE big benefit, privilege of being a citizen, its the reason the system exists. If the members want to have a say, they should work hard to become citizens
    Yeh, because the Curia were falling over themselves to organise the last ones.

the past is behind us, tis the present that need concern us now.

I would happily put together a team of people to organise these current awards.

Jubal_Barca's Avatar Master Engineer

I'll help if need be.
    Sine remo flumine adverso - Latin, 'up the creek without a paddle'.
    Mod leader of Warhammer Total War, Narnia Total War, and A Game of Colleges: Total War

Under the patronage of Aden of Woodstock, The Black Prince.

Bi-anally it is...

under the patronage of Belisarius

Quote Originally Posted by Jubal_Barca View Post
    I'll help if need be.
    Me too. But, please make it quick. I can't wait anymore.

Civs should be in charge of the awards - we are civs for a reason - we reached the right standard and passed the CdeC vote. Those who arent civs either a) dont contribute enough, b) are good enough but dont want citizenship - in which case they shouldnt be trying to get involved ,or c) were once citizens but had the rank removed - which means its there own fault.

Also how many non civs take part in threads in the Q&S forum which could have been posted in the curia - ussaly very few.

I think bianual awards is about right - most people will only see one or two awards which for moding stuff is about right because not much will change on a month to month basis.
    Under the Patronage of Imb39
    Patron of julianus heraclius, TheFirstONeill, Boz and midnite

Civs should be in charge of the awards - we are civs for a reason - we reached the right standard and passed the CdeC vote. Those who arent civs either a) dont contribute enough, b) are good enough but dont want citizenship - in which case they shouldnt be trying to get involved ,or c) were once citizens but had the rank removed - which means its there own fault.
    So if every regular member on these boards is either not 'good enough', was ostrakoned or has refused the rank... how in the lord's name do we get new civitates every month? Perhaps the internet Stork flies by time and again and drops off fresh citizens for us?

I will call particular attention to point B -

b) are good enough but dont want citizenship - in which case they shouldnt be trying to get involved
    How does not wishing to participate in the Curia correlate to not wanting to become involved in activities at TWC and help out?

Embracing help from all members of this site qualified and ready to contribute should be highly encouraged, and often works for the best in the end - unless you have forgotten already who led the expansion committee you were on?
    Last edited by Publius; July 14, 2007 at 06:38 PM.

The amount of non civs that are definatly good enough for citizenship is very small - they usally get Patronized as soon as they are good enough.

If someone refuses citizenship they arent just refusing to take part in the curia they are refusing to take part in the rest of TWC's governing - there are plently of civs who are inactive in the curia 99% of the time - but the fact that they have citizenship gives them the right to contribute.

Ex civs who have lost there rank for fitted their right to contribute to discussions such as this one when they decided to break the rules.

The whole point of citizenship is to be able to join discussions such as these - we have earned the right to were as non civs havent (yet).
    Under the Patronage of Imb39
    Patron of julianus heraclius, TheFirstONeill, Boz and midnite

The amount of non civs that are definatly good enough for citizenship is very small - they usally get Patronized as soon as they are good enough.
    Do you have any idea how long it took imb to get patronized? You know, the man that patronized you, now owns and operates the site, and all of that insignificant stuff? Go ask him, and rethink if your above statement holds water.

If someone refuses citizenship they arent just refusing to take part in the curia they are refusing to take part in the rest of TWC's governing - there are plently of civs who are inactive in the curia 99% of the time - but the fact that they have citizenship gives them the right to contribute.
    Where to begin, where to begin...

I will simply state I do not know why you have to 'earn' the right to contribute - certainly we wish to encourage contribution? Certainly it is this very contribution which earned you the badge to begin with? Your logic is self defeating, if only citizens have the right to contribute, but you must contribute first in order to attain citizenship.

Ex civs who have lost there rank for fitted their right to contribute to discussions such as this one when they decided to break the rules.
    I never really challenged this (please reread), though I will note that blanket statements such as this are dangerous ones. No system is infallible.

The whole point of citizenship is to be able to join discussions such as these - we have earned the right to were as non civs havent (yet).
    Charming. However you will remember these are site awards, not Curia awards (last time I checked). Perhaps it would be logical to include in discussion those who are impacted by these awards as well?

Now that I have addressed your comments, perhaps you would in turn like to address mine. Namely:
    • You were recently on a Hex Committee lead by Kanaric, a non-citizen. If your views are consistent, why did you not raise issue at this time? Did you feel Kanaric was an incompetent leader because the CdeC had not given him a badge?
    • Professor420 was not only on a Hex Committee at a time when he did not have citizenship, but also after he had resigned his citizenship previously. Same questions as with Kanaric.
    • And, to quote: "How does not wishing to participate in the Curia correlate to not wanting to become involved in activities at TWC and help out?"

Quote Originally Posted by Publius View Post
    Embracing help from all members of this site qualified and ready to contribute should be highly encouraged, and often works for the best in the end - unless you have forgotten already who led the expansion committee you were on?
    Agreed, even if Narses didn't seem to want to reply to that part..

both polls seem to be favouring bi-annual anyway, which could mean Awards are about due, eeek...

(EDIT: and could we bring back the who's viewing thread function so I stop posting over the top of people already replying...)

Quote Originally Posted by makanyane View Post
    Agreed, even if Narses didn't seem to want to reply to that part..

both polls seem to be favouring bi-annual anyway, which could mean Awards are about due, eeek...
    Go find Halie, Mak
    Whoever gives nothing, has nothing. The greatest misfortune is not to be unloved, but not to love.
    -Albert Camus

(EDIT: and could we bring back the who's viewing thread function so I stop posting over the top of people already replying...)
    I'll talk with Sim - I think the reason for its discontinuation previously was that it significantly increased page load times.

Simetrical's Avatar Former Chief Technician
    Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by makanyane View Post
    Sorry, not feasible right now. It just causes too much load. I don't know why, but you can see it happening the second after it's enabled. It's just not implemented efficiently, it seems.
    MediaWiki developer, TWC Chief Technician
    NetHack player (nao info)

Risen from Prey

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast