Thread: Faction Bonuses

Icon5 Faction Bonuses

Just a thought I had tonight as I can't sleep and have been up far too long.

Could each faction be given a kind of bonus that would spread across all their regions and units, hmmmmm.......not sure what a good example would be. For example, ummm....Spain could be given a national naval bonus in movement perhaps....

just a thought, I'm all for making each faction as unique as possible.

thoughts or or just plain

The quickest route may not always be the most fun.
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=315

Default Re: Faction Bonuses

Its a very good idea, Spain could have a bonus attack for the gunpowder units as well? ^^

yeah good idea

AMMsterz's Avatar Libertus

Icon14 Re: Faction Bonuses

but it'll need a bit of research into the uniqueness of each faction hehehe

Merely a humble advocate of the positively developed mod, "The Fouth Age Total War." ...
    as well as a peaceful proponent of the exhaustedly developing mod, "Broken Crescent."

Something like bonus starting experince for the English after the law passed for practise on a Sunday for archers.
    Additional bonus to French Knights, or Generals recieving extra command when using cavalry.
    Milan could have bonus income from Markets and Merchants
    Moors could get extra movement in the desert or something.

Quite a lot of different things you could add.

glad to hear you guys have some good ideas, it would certainly be nice to give each faction an edge in its own way.

True, I do need to stick my nose in a few history books again to come up with some accurate ideas.

tornnight's Avatar Forum Bot

Definately feasible using the Trait system or even the build tree for a few things.

Down the road sometime.
    "The first casualty when war comes, is truth." - Hiram Johnson
    Developer of The Long Road Modification

Good idea, tough this bonuses should not unbalance the main game, so like bonuses should be good.

By example,france:
    Should have bonus commanding heavy cavalry, and easier training, retraining cost.The generals should be less loyals than the others countries, like they have strong will and a french touch that make them more reluctent than the others.They may have highter life points in counterpart maybe.
    Hm, Maybe those close to the king, but even on wikipedia, it's sayed that france was quite divised, I don't really know the timeline, but there was a time where the rule of the king didn't unite really all the french, same for the dukes, barrons, generals so. I don't know when it was really united so.

russia:
    Reflecting the fact their country is cold, they may have bonuses in fighting in snow/cold and have less problems to live in cold countries/winter.

Just toughts, but the idea is good, maybe making a pool to find what bonuses should be for each factions?
    Last edited by super-panda; July 13, 2007 at 03:28 PM.

I thought French generals were very loyal...

Sounds to me much like age of empires. I suppose would be interesting. -Leon

Quote Originally Posted by invictus View Post
    Sounds to me much like age of empires.
    actually it sounds like shogun, or medieval total war (the original)

You could also take the EB route of giving individuals a "tribe" or family which affect certain traits, although this would take awhile.
    "Laws are like sausages. It's better not to see them made"- Otto von Bismarck

Yah nothing here for the next release, just pipe some pipe dreams to spout while we all bide our time for 2.1.

It would be nice to see factions that have very spread out regions get a movement bonus.

Or perhaps, ancestry bonus could be fun, i.e. if you are related to the original king etc, you might get certain traits.

as far as I remembered Rusty, although I donot remember when it was posted there will be a rise in traits. The part that I remembered was that good generals spawns better general sons and good governors spawn better governors as sons. This change was guided by Torn's dissapointment of teaching family members....

correct me if i am wrong

that would certainly be nice to see, as of right now we simply have honors his father or hates his father, and a few other hereditary related traits.

Irishmafia2020's Avatar Senator

I have lost track of the royal line in my current game, the "of faction blood" trait has disappeared. Perhaps if their were some trait that gave an authority bonus to the direct male descendents of the original king I would make certain that they inherited the throne. This could also be addressed through transferable ancilliaries - "Crown of the King" or something like that.
    I like the idea of Faction bonuses, perhaps they could be more easily applied across several groups so that all orthodox or Arab or Turkish factions all recieved the same bonus.
    here are some suggestions -
    religious conversion bonus (Arabs?)
    Trade bonus (Italians ?)
    Naval travel bonus (English, Denmark?)
    Light Cavalry less expensive (Spain, Portugal?)

I could think of other regional bonuses that could be applied to several nationalities. It might cut down on the work it would take to actually implement such a system.

Kylan271's Avatar Domesticus

I think ancillary bonuses like "Joan of Arc" for the French should be instead offered as Generals,ie like 'Adopted Son' events. In addition to being enabled as family & marryable. And rather than El Cid as rebel you can have El Cid the General with the Spanish. You will find data in descr_ancillaries on others. In old MTW there was historical figures crop up,so should be added here as playable also.

Ancillary bonuses,yes I think cool for diff factions,ie easier to obtain for that faction like cav ancillaries for French and archer ones for English etc.

Building bonuses...there are some factions with better buildings ie Banks,Music Halls,Printing Presses etc(descr_buildings.txt). You need to start up different factions and look through their building browser to see as I did accidentally. Printing Presses and Banks are cool,as is the Libraries-Demark,Scotland where you can do spies,diplomats and assassins at castles! Yihee.

Trait bonuses,perhaps they can be adjusted in favour of certain factions when played? Not sure which ones per faction,but say faction Heirs ad Kings automatic(ancillary bonus also?).

Cheers *_*