Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is it me?

imb39's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    Patrician Citizen spy of the council

Default Is it me?

Or is it time for those TWC awards...

how about we come up with a list of awards. It would be lovely, too, if those graphically gifted, could come up with some sort of medal - yes, I might be treading on the curia's toes - surely no one minds this, in this case...

Default Re: Is it me?

bi-annual awards... how odd... An annual site award, now that means something... best whatever of 2006... but no, here, you're only the best whatever for 6 months...

Tom Paine's Avatar Mr Common Sense
    Patrician

Silver Spring, Maryland (inside the Beltway)

Well yes, most places don't have so active a membership that we can reward people, for different things, within a year, under the same award names

so what do you say... i was the best debator of TWC for the first half of 2006? woweee...

Quote Originally Posted by the Black Prince View Post
    so what do you say... i was the best debator of TWC for the first half of 2006? woweee...
    Why must you put a downer on these things!

From the TW side of things it helps promote things a little, I think. from the CC side of things, it allows you to get your standard award - or are you hoarding your cherished title?

Quote Originally Posted by the Black Prince View Post
    You are an exceptional member in your longevity. To you, an entire year on TWC is much shorter than say a member (of which we have thousands) who just joined this year.

lol, the only award i win is gayest member... i don't even get to be known as most controversial member, for better or worse. so i'm not bothered...

i'm just saying, for both sides of the community, its far better to hold these awards in late dec/jan, and award somebody, Best Skinner of 2006, Best Modifcation of 2006, best Debator of 2006, like, you know, almost every other award i can think of, from the Oscars down...

Bah! Internet time is totally different from Real time, as it were. Bi-annual is an optimal time frame, in my estimation.

Blau&Gruen's Avatar Civitate

TWC awards would include the philospher's robe medal, would it? I have mentioned to the patron of my tribus a name. Is there an official thread to lay down a proposal?
    Last edited by Blau&Gruen; July 12, 2007 at 02:41 PM.
    Patronized by Ozymandias
    Je bâtis ma demeure
    Le livre des questions
    Un étranger avec sous le bras un livre de petit format

golemzombiroboticvacuumcleanerstrawberrycream

No, we're talking about the bi-annual Site Awards, not any of the other Curial medals

@ian
    I don't believe other websites that indulge in these kind of awards feel restricted by time...

deRougemont's Avatar Yeoman

I think bi-annual is over the top (and I haven't even been here a year yet!) But, if this is more for fun than being anything super-meaningful, that's a different story...

Blau&Gruen's Avatar Civitate

Ok. - Sorry.
    Patronized by Ozymandias
    Je bâtis ma demeure
    Le livre des questions
    Un étranger avec sous le bras un livre de petit format

golemzombiroboticvacuumcleanerstrawberrycream

Jubal_Barca's Avatar Master Engineer

No, I think Biannual is good.
    Sine remo flumine adverso - Latin, 'up the creek without a paddle'.
    Mod leader of Warhammer Total War, Narnia Total War, and A Game of Colleges: Total War

Under the patronage of Aden of Woodstock, The Black Prince.

Quote Originally Posted by Jubal_Barca View Post
    No, I think Biannual is good.
    See! Evolution does work. you are more wiser than the previous generation in your family!

Tom Paine's Avatar Mr Common Sense
    Patrician

Silver Spring, Maryland (inside the Beltway)

Quote Originally Posted by deRougemont View Post
    I think bi-annual is over the top (and I haven't even been here a year yet!) But, if this is more for fun than being anything super-meaningful, that's a different story...
    Its a forum. What, were you expecting the losers to be shot?

Anyways. The fact is, things on the net move a lot faster than they do in RL; site awards should reflect this.

Fabolous's Avatar Power breeds Arrogance

Quote Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
    Anyways. The fact is, things on the net move a lot faster than they do in RL; site awards should reflect this.
    Which is why most of the rest of the interweb does annual awards?

I know we all love to give each other awards or medals or ranks all the time, but lets keep these things to a reasonable level. Bi-annual isn't bad, and these awards were orginally intended to be quaterly by some. But I do think annual is the easiest and best way to go.
    tBP knows how to handle a sword. -Last Crusader

Under the Honorable Patronage of Belisarius
    Formerly Under the Patronage of Simetrical
    Proud Patron of Lusted, Rome AC, Solid, and Dirty Peasant

Which is why most of the rest of the interweb does annual awards?
    I don't believe other websites that indulge in these kind of awards feel restricted by time...
    Is our mission to imitate other sites now...? Something tells me we wouldn't be where we are if such is the case. (Not to mention this forum wouldn't exist...)

Handing out awards isn't anything detrimental - why are we so quick to argue and debate over something that is supposed to bring the community closer together?

Fabolous's Avatar Power breeds Arrogance

Quote Originally Posted by Publius View Post
    Is our mission to imitate other sites now...? Something tells me we wouldn't be where we are if such is the case. (Not to mention this forum wouldn't exist...)
    No, but to a statement that the internet (note: the internet, not TWC) moves too fast, the fact that most other internet sites award on a yearly basis is an incredible piece of evidence against that.

Quote Originally Posted by Publius View Post
    Handing out awards isn't anything detrimental - why are we so quick to argue and debate over something that is supposed to bring the community closer together?
    No, it can be detrimental. If you get an award, it should be something special. You should be proud. If we give out too many awards, we lose that - to our detriment. Now is twice a year going to make the awards worthless? No. But I'm quite sure I'd much rather be the TWC Best Debator of 2007, as compared to Best Debator from January to June.

As for awards bringing the community together... well, you must have watched different awards than I have the first few times.
    tBP knows how to handle a sword. -Last Crusader

Under the Honorable Patronage of Belisarius
    Formerly Under the Patronage of Simetrical
    Proud Patron of Lusted, Rome AC, Solid, and Dirty Peasant

Quote Originally Posted by Fabolous View Post
    As for awards bringing the community together... well, you must have watched different awards than I have the first few times.
    I thought the last time when it was handled by Nihil, it was exceptionally well done with little problems. I could be mistaken though.

Make them the Summer/Winter awards, or Winter/Summer awards for our antipodean friends.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast