Page 8 of 160 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617183358108 ... LastLast

Thread: 2007-08 NFL Discussion

Scipio Afracanis's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Default Re: The Colts will be unstoppable in 08'

Aside from the petty bickering(some of its ok) I love this thread.

Just got really interested in the NFL about a year or 2 ago so............I don't know much about alot of it.So its interesting to hear people talk about it that aren't ESPN guys(there good,just need other frank perspectives).

For some reason all my friends here in Hawaii don't follow sports,except my roomates g/f but she only likes college ball . (need to get sports friends come Football season.)

Saying all that,Its always my preference to root for the underdog, Never the Yankees or Braves(MLB) and Never the Pat's since the Brady Era.

As I have said before I think the Pat's go all the way,but I would like the Colts to "upset" that.
    Last edited by Scipio Afracanis; July 23, 2007 at 04:40 PM.

the_mango55's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by hungry_hungary View Post
    Stats don't say much Championships do... remember all those Steelers that have went to the Hall of Fame? their stats were par or lower than the Cowboys but the 70's Steelers out number the 70's Cowboys 2 to 1
    Championships say a lot.

About a team.

About individual players? Not so much. Is Corey Dillon a better running back than Barry Sanders?

Also, not having played a sport doesn't mean jack about analyzing it.

Just because I have never sang professionally, does that mean I can't say Mariah Carey is better singer than Paris Hilton?
    ttt
    Adopted son of Lord Sephiroth, Youngest sibling of Pent uP Rage, Prarara the Great, Nerwen Carnesîr, TB666 and, Boudicca. In the great Family of the Black Prince

No. But it explains why you can't offer any more than statistical comparison.
    Sponsored by the Last Roman

NaptownKnight's Avatar Praeses

Quote Originally Posted by hungry_hungary View Post
    Elementary, church, or a one year basketball experience shouldn't count at all
    I've played 4 years of high school football and its one thing to practice once a week in a gym and another to practice everyday except for Sundays (5 hours in 90+ weather)

And street ball doesn't count at all... you have to understand the skill of the precision that goes into game planning... we watch 5 hours of film session every week and coaches (i think) watch film every second they have off their jobs

Please don't ever compare just fooling around to playing football in at least a high school level

The best evaluation of a QB is their leadership and Brady proved that he is a leader

Stats don't say much Championships do... remember all those Steelers that have went to the Hall of Fame? their stats were par or lower than the Cowboys but the 70's Steelers out number the 70's Cowboys 2 to 1

Colts don't have the consistent defense that you see in every dynasty team (something that the Pats have)
    They were the worst in rush defense in the regular season but they can stop LJ in the playoffs? this won't happen again for a while
    They were the first Superbowl winning team that couldn't stop the run and they will be the last

Brady has worked with much more wide receivers than Manning... do you know how much time and work it takes them to get the routs down right?
    Football isn't like Madden where you can throw perfectly with a push of a button
    I worked just as hard on my Soccer team, we practiced every week, studied plays and did drills. Trust me, I know what it takes. While on this subject, who prepares for a game more Manning or Brady? Manning. He watches hours and hours of film, arrives early and stays late at practice, and even makes sure that every single teammate of his is on the same page. I don't think anyone in their right mind could say Brady is a better leader than Manning.

Quote Originally Posted by David Deas View Post
    The best annyalists of football never played it in high school, maybe not even on a pee whee team. Any ESPN or FSN guy or girl will tell you that just because you never played the sport in question at an organized level does not mean you can not comment on it, and be right. Saying otherwise just proves that someone has a "low football IQ".
    Last edited by NaptownKnight; July 23, 2007 at 08:00 PM.

Default Re: Naptown's Pre Season NFL Picks

I don't know. I'm always eager to hear other people's opinions of my team. I think I'm pretty honest, but I'm also a fan. That makes me sometimes more optimistic than I should be.
    I understand, I'm a Indiana Pacer fan.

The best analysts in football never played football? Manning prepares more than Brady?

*laughing*

So now we've regressed to blithering falsehoods?
    Last edited by David Deas; July 23, 2007 at 09:28 PM.

Citizen

If you're talking to me I did play in high school.
    ttt
    Adopted son of Lord Sephiroth, Youngest sibling of Pent uP Rage, Prarara the Great, Nerwen Carnesîr, TB666 and, Boudicca. In the great Family of the Black Prince

We're not talking about Madden, son.

Citizen

I hope you aren't being serious, daughter.
    ttt

The best analysts in football never played football? Manning prepares more than Brady?

*laughing*

So now we've regressed to blithering falsehoods?
    Manning does prepeare more than Brady. Manning prepares more than some coaches, much less players. This is well documented. Brady doesn't use any where near as complex audible system as Manning does. Have you ever seen a Colts playcall? And yes, the best analysts haven't played. You don't have to have played to have an informed opinion. That is an idesputible fact.

But you're not proving that here, Nap. You don't have an informed opinion.

The stuff you're saying is ridiculous. And then you're wondering why people are questioning you.

I don't? It seems you and Hungry are the only ones that think that. Maybe I am being blinded by my love of the Colts, but you have to understand that no team from Indy has won a title since the Pacers dominated the ABA, and that was obviously a long time ago. We've had heartbreak after heartbreak, whether it was the Pacers making it to all of those East Finals but to only make it to the NBA Finals once, or the Colts loosing to the Pats in the playoffs, or even two heartbreakers to the Steelers, in 95' and 05. Now we have a champion, and now I have my chance to gloat, so I will take full advantage of it.

I'm a Falcons fan, dude.

Finn's Avatar Total Realism

Quote Originally Posted by NaptownKnight View Post
    I don't think anyone in their right mind could say Brady is a better leader than Manning.
    Brady has LED the Pats to 3 Superbowls, even though it was a team effort, he was THE major component in that well oiled machine and they wouldn't have done it without him.

Up until last year Manning had been abysmal in the playoffs when the game was on the line or when he actually faced a good well coached defense.

Quote Originally Posted by Finn View Post
    Brady has LED the Pats to 3 Superbowls, even though it was a team effort, he was THE major component in that well oiled machine and they wouldn't have done it without him.

Up until last year Manning had been abysmal in the playoffs when the game was on the line or when he actually faced a good well coached defense.
    The Patriot's defense has been the major component to their three championships. They would never have won without their excellent defensive players and schemes. The Pats defense has shutdown two of the most prolific offenses of all time, the Rams in the 01' SuperBowl, and the Colts in the 04' Divisional playoffs. Nothing Brady could possibly do could contribute mor than that.

I'm a Falcons fan, dude.
    You will understand when they win the SuperBowl (Michael Vick may have set them back quite a few years).

As a matter of fact, I'm quoted as saying that Manning looked better than ever last year. And I said that at about week 3 or 4 during last year's regular season. My rationale was that even though the Colts were not blowing opponents away as they usually did, and Manning wasn't racking up a whole bunch of unnecessary stats, Peyton was learning how to manage a team to victory during close games. That is something that he wasn't very good at before. It used to be the Colts either blew somebody out, or they lost the game. But nothing in between.
    Last edited by David Deas; July 23, 2007 at 10:32 PM.

As a matter of fact, I'm quoted as saying that Manning looked better than ever last year. And I said that at about week 3 or 4 during last year's regular season. My rationale was that even though the Colts were not blowing opponents away as they usually do, and Manning wasn't racking up stats, Peyton was learning how to manage a team to victory during close games. That is something that he wasn't very good at before. It used to be the Colts either blew somebody out, or they lost the game. But nothing in between.
    You are correct, last year's season was before I joined TWC, but me and my dad talked about the same thing. They gained valuable experience in winning games, but I think the most underated Colt is Adam Viniateri. That man is a God among men, and easily the most clutch kicker to ever play in the NFL. I used to hate his guts too. Adam even provided all of the Colt's offense in basically two playoff games, the KC win and the Baltimore win. He's a major improvement over chokin' Mike Vandercrap, and probably the main reason the Colts made it to the SuperBowl.

Finn's Avatar Total Realism

Quote Originally Posted by NaptownKnight View Post
    The Patriot's defense has been the major component to their three championships. They would never have won without their excellent defensive players and schemes. The Pats defense has shutdown two of the most prolific offenses of all time, the Rams in the 01' SuperBowl, and the Colts in the 04' Divisional playoffs. Nothing Brady could possibly do could contribute mor than that.
    There's no doubt that defense wins championships, but having a Q Back as cool as Brady is under pressure doesn't hurt either.

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown
    Thats flat out wrong.

The Colts' defense has always played admirably during the playoffs. Its the Colts' offense that has traditionally *disappeared* during playoff time. The Colts' have never lost a playoff game because the defense allowed too many points. Never. And this past season certainly was no exception.

This Patriots, OTOH, have won a Super-Bowl with statistically the worst defense to ever play in the Super-Bowl. The also won another one with statistically the worst running game to *ever* debut in a Super-Bowl. The Patriots were only unstoppable for one year - 2004 - when no team even wanted to play their asses. During that record 20 something wins in a row they compiled.

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown
    You will understand when they win the SuperBowl (Michael Vick may have set them back quite a few years).
    No. I really won't.

I hate irrational fans. So I'll never be one.
    Last edited by David Deas; July 24, 2007 at 12:08 AM.

Citizen

double post
    Last edited by the_mango55; July 23, 2007 at 10:44 PM.
    ttt