Quote Originally Posted by The Mongol View Post
    Borat is right here:

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    HOly ********ing :wub:* i JUST PISSED MYSELF LAUGHING
    "I may not be there yet, but I'm closer than I was yesterday"

Default Re: FACTION: The Kingdom of Makuria

if we have kingdom of Makura then it would be more plosible if we will add
    Ethiopian Empire to our fraction list as rival to this kingdom

this is info abpout Ethiopian empire (Axsum)

A significant traditional empire that fits only imperfectly into the system of Empires discussed in the Index to Lists of Rulers is Ethiopia, which had few pretentions to universality, but was in the Middle Eastern tradition of universalist titles, since the Ethiopian emperor was styled the Negus Negast, the "King of Kings," as were the Kings of Assyria (Shar Sharim) and the Shâhs of Persia and Iran (Xshayathiya Xshayathiyanam, Shâhanshâh).

Ethiopia was its own kind of cultural island universe for centuries, a beleaguered bastion of Christianity in an isolating sea of Islâm, a successor, not just to the Middle Eastern traditions through Yemen, but to the original Ethiopia of the Greeks, the sub-Egyptian kingdom of Kush, which began with the Egyptian 25th Dynasty (751-656 BC), from Piankhy to Tanuatamun, and which, although driven out of Egypt by the Assyrians, flourished at Napata (where pyramids were actually built) and Meroë for many centuries. Indeed, the highland Ethiopia, or Abyssinia, itself may have brought the kingdom of Meroë to an end, around 355 AD.

The Abyssinian kingdom of Aksum (or Axum) had already existed for some time. It left enduring monuments in the obelisk-like stone stelae, with Stela 3 (at left, and in background photograph) still standing at 67 feet tall, which reproduce the "skyscraper" architecture of ancient Yemen. A few kings of Aksum are barely known from their coins. As Kush came to an end, Abyssinia had recently converted to Christianity, in communion with the Coptic Egyptian Church. It is not hard to see the reign of the Emperor Ezanas, under whom this all happened, as the real beginning of classic Ethiopian civilization. The torch of Meroë had been passed, but since the Meroë writing has not been deciphered, Ethiopia becomes the first sub-Saharan African civilization fully open to the light of history. Indeed, the ancient language of Axum, Ethiopic or Ge'ez, is still actively used in the Ethiopian Church.

This list is largely based on Bruce R. Gordon's Regnal Chronologies. Some alternative dates and Ethiopian readings of names are gleaned from A History of Ethiopia, by Harold G. Marcus [University of California Press, 1994], from Ancient Ethiopia, by David W. Phillipson [British Museum Press, 1998], and from a History of the Ethiopian Orthodox Church website. The photographs of Aksum Stela 3 are from Phillipson. With so many uncertainties in the chronology, very different lists of Emperors, with different dates, may be seen. Lists exist that trace the genealogy of the Emperors all the way back to Adam and Eve, with a span of 6500 years. Many people take these lists seriously, and one correspondent has objected to the characterization of Menelik I as "legendary." However, Adam and Eve are not historical persons and much of Ethiopian history even since Ezanas II is not well attested or dated. Ethiopia is certainly interesting and important enough without giving credence to pious or nationalistic exaggerations.

and here we have the list of Ethiopian emeprors :

Menelik I legendary son of Solomon
    & the Queen of Sheba
    Ezanas I c.250 AD
    Endybis c.270 AD
    Aphilas
    Uzana/Ousanas
    Wazeba
    Ella Amida (I,II,III?) end of 3rd century AD
    Ezanas II c.303-c.356
    Frumentius first Coptic Bishop
    of Ethiopia, c.305; stela erected
    at juncture of Nile & Atbara, 350;
    Kush overthrown? 355
    Shizana c.328-c.370
    Ella Abreha c.356
    Ella Asfeha
    Ella Shahel
    unknown number of Kings
    Agabe 474-475
    Levi 474-475
    Ella Amida (IV?) 475-486
    Jacob I 486-489
    David 486-489
    Armah I 489-504
    Zitana 504-505
    Jacob II 505-514
    Caleb, Ella Asbeha 514-542, or
    c.500-534
    At Roman urging, Ethiopians install
    a Christian king in Yemen, 523-525
    Beta Israel 542-c.550
    Gabra Masqal c.550-564
    Anaeb
    Alamiris
    Joel
    Israel
    Gersem I
    Ella Gabaz
    Ella Saham
    Armah II c.625
    traditional King who welcomed
    Muslim refugees from Mecca
    Iathlia
    Hataz I
    Wazena
    Za Ya'abiyo
    Armah III
    [unknown]
    Hataz II
    Gersem II
    Hataz III
    Zagwe Dynasty
    Mara Tekle Haimanot 916-919
    Tatadim 919-959
    Jan Seiyoum 959-999
    Germa Seiyoum 999-1039
    St. Yemrehana Christos 1039–1079
    St. Harbe 1079-1119
    St. Lalibela 1119-1159
    St. Na'akuto Le'Ab 1159-1207
    Yetbarek 1207-1247
    Mairari 1247-1262
    Harbe II 1262-1270
    alternative list
    Marari 1117-1133
    Yemrehana Krestos 1133-1172
    Gebra Maskal Lalibela 1172-1212, or
    c.1185-1225
    Na'akeuto La'ab 1212-1260
    Yitbarek (Yetbarak) 1260-1268
    Solomonic Dynasty
    Yekuno Amlak,
    Tasfa Iyasus,
    or St. Tekle Haimanot 1270-1285
    Solomon I 1285-1294
    Bahr Asgad 1294-1297
    Senfa Asgad 1294-1297
    Qedma Asgad 1297-1299
    Jin Asgad 1297-1299
    Saba Asgad 1297-1299
    Wedem Arad 1299-1314
    Amda Siyon (Seyoi) I 1314-1344
    Newaya Krestos 1344-1372
    Newaya Maryam 1372-1382
    Dawit (David) I 1382-1411
    Tewodros (Theodore) I 1411-1414
    Isaac 1414-1429
    Andrew 1429-1430
    Takla Maryam 1430-1433
    Sarwe Iyasus 1433
    Amda Iyasus 1433-1434
    Zara Yakob (Constantine I) 1434-1468
    Baeda Mariam I 1468-1478
    Constantine II 1478-1484
    Amda Seyon II 1494
    Na'od 1494-1508
    Lebna Dengel (David II) 1508-1540
    Galawedos (Claudius) 1540-1559
    Moslems allied to Turkey defeated, with
    Portuguese help, Battle of Lake Tana, 1543
    Menas 1560-1564
    Sarsa Dengel 1564-1597
    Jacob 1597-1603,
    1604-1607
    Za Dengel 1603-1604
    Susneyos (Sissinios) 1607-1632
    Fasilidas (Basilides) 1632-1667
    Yohannes (John) I 1667-1682
    Iyasu (Jesus) I the Great 1682-1706
    Tekle Haimanot I 1706-1708
    Tewoflos (Theophilus) 1708-1711
    Yostos (Justus) 1711-1716
    Dawit (David) III 1716-1721
    Bekaffa 1721-1730
    Iyasu II 1730-1755
    Iyoas (Joas) I 1755-1769
    Yohannes II 1769
    Tekle Haimanot II 1769-1777
    Salomon (Solomon) II 1777-1779
    Tekle Giorgis (George) I 1779-1784, 1788-1789,
    1794-1795, 1795-1796,
    1797-1799, 1800
    Jesus III 1784-1788
    Ba'eda Maryam I 1788
    Hezekiah 1789-1794
    Ba'eda Maryam II 1795
    Solomon III 1796-1797,
    Demetrius 1799-1800,
    1800-1801
    Egwala Seyon 1801-1818
    Joas II 1818-1821
    Gigar 1821-1826,
    1826-1830
    Ba'eda Maryam III 1826
    Jesus IV 1830-1832
    Gabra Krestos 1832
    Sahla Dengel 1832-1840,
    1841-1855
    Yohannes III 1840-1841
    Tewodros (Theodore) II 1855-1868
    takes diplomats hostage; British Expedition,
    defeat & suicide of Tewodros, 1868
    Tekle Giorgis II 1868-1872
    Yohannes IV 1872-1889
    Egyptians defeated, driven out of Eritrea,
    Battle of Gundet, 1875, Battle of Gura, 1876
    Menilek (Menelik) II 1889-1913
    Italians defeated, Battle of Adwa, 1896
    Lij Iyasu (Joshua) regent 1909-1913,
    1913-1916 (d. 1935)
    Empress Zawditu 1916-1930
    Haile Sellassie (Selassie)
    (Ras Tafari Makonnen) regent 1916-1930,
    Emperor, 1930-1936
    Italian Occupation
    Victor Emmanuel
    (III, of Italy) styled
    "Emperor of Ethiopia" 1936-1941
    Haile Sellassie
    (restored) 1941-1974, d. 1975
    Asfa Wossen 1974-1975, d. 1997
    Aman Mikael Andom Head of State, 1974
    Tafari Benti 1974-1977
    Mengistu Haile Mariam 1977-1987
    President,
    1987-1991
    Meles Zenawi 1991-1995
    Negasso Gidada 1995-present

Ethiopia i my opinion was much stronger state then Makuria and it will be nice
    if we shall present it in our game

respect.
    Through your intercession I hope to see the light of Thy son and the light of everlasting ages !

Indefinitely Banned

Thanks for those names. I will use them for sure.

But no, we wont add another african faction.

The Mukurian empire should have mre heavily amoured swordsmen and an hybrid of spear/ Composite Bowmen ............ by the way it's lookin gouuud so far

mi bad mre= MORE

Look i love the Makurian empire however i know being heavily influenced by the Fatmid( egyptian islamic kingdom) they should have more much more heavily armoured units juss because their in africa dosen't mean they didn't know how to effectivly use mail or lamellar armour . other than that great job

AD and I did the research for Makuria. No where in what we found did it point to armor being used in plentiful amounts in Makuria. What I did find pointed towards Makuria (Christian Nubia) being a culture where the rich were very rich and the poor were very poor, and the majority. Their social stratification is represented in their ranks, as is the lack of armor. I've never heard of Lamellar used here - however, thickly quilted vests/garbs have been widespread in their use within Africa, which is why you see them on the tier 3 units.

There's a source I took some ideas from that is venomously anti-Islamic. It praises the Nubians for their ability to defend against the Arabs and be the one place where in the first 100 years of Islamic Expansion the Arabs are defeated. Yet even it comments on the relative poorness of the lands of Nubia, as well as the lack of armor and guerrilla fighting of the Nubians. Other sources commented further on a lack of armor (And even shields), the chief weapons being the sword, javelin, or short spear.

Their Beja have metal armor and their nobles have metal armor. Their tier 3 units (The Makurian Spearmen, Bowmen, and Alwa Horsemen) have thickly quilted armor (Very much the common armor of Africa, in use from West Africa to East Africa, and much more effective than we would think in a modern, 'metal is king' manner of thinking). Mail armor was in use in East Africa, but it was limited to those of higher status. Not because of race, not because of culture, but because of economy.

I'd like to state that there's no amount of racism in our depiction of Makuria. We chose to represent them because we wished to give greater respect and honor to such an interesting and proud Kingdom. Africa is almost always marginalized by historical games, mods, or history in general. This is the first, or one of the first, black African factions to be featured in a Total war Mod. AD chose to work on them when he didn't even have to for 1.0, if at all.

To simply take the theme of a well armored Ayyubids, or well-armored Crusaders, and slap a dark brown skin color onto them, would have been an injustice to the Nubians. They didn't fight like Egyptians, or Persians, or Crusaders. They fought as Nubians fought. It was that fighting without heavy armor or shock-cavalry that made them the only instance of the Arabs being beaten in the first 100 years of Islamic Expansion.

When Sassanian Persia, Byzantium, Turks, and Visigoths failed where the Nubians succeeded...I think that says a lot about their fighting spirit.
    Last edited by Ahiga; August 20, 2007 at 02:24 PM.

Default Makuria daughter of Byzantine Empire

Though the Kingdom of Makuria was in Northern Sudan and Southern Egypt Makuria was heavily influecend by the Byzantine Empire infact every part of Makurian Society embraced GracecoRoman Culture From their artitichure, language, To armies. They had used heavy mail and lamellar amour like their moslem counterparts and as frequently they should if included have strong elements of Byzantine/ Axumite culture.

Rex Armeniae's Avatar King of Kings

Default Re: Makuria daughter of Byzantine Empire

The Byzantine Empire dispatched an official party to try to convert the kingdoms to Chalcedonian Christianity, but Empress Theodora reportedly conspired to delay the party to allow a group of Monophysites to arrive first. John of Ephesus reports that the Monophysites successfully converted the kingdoms of Nobatia and Alodia, but that Makuria remained hostile. John of Biclarum states that Makuria then embraced the rival Byzantine Christianity. Archaeological evidence seems to point to a rapid conversion brought about by an official adoption of the new faith. Millennia-old traditions such as the building of elaborate tombs, and the burying of expensive grave goods with the dead were abandoned, and temples throughout the region seem to have been converted to churches. Churches eventually were built in virtually every town and village.

Byzantine sure had some of their workings with makuria
    Հայաստան: Իմ սիրելի Հայաստան:
    The more you sweat in training, the less you bleed in battle.
    - Under the patronage of another Rex Armeniae Drtad | Տրտադ

Sorry to ask but what is the point of this thread, it's interisting but I don't see the point.

I dont think there is any point.
    OP apparently just want a discussion about makuria.

Indefinitely Banned

THREADS MERGED

Please keep faction discussion in faction threads.

Slaxx Hatmen's Avatar This isn't the crisis!

Icon6 Re: FACTION: The Kingdom of Makuria

Well said Ahiga, well said.

Quote Originally Posted by Ahiga View Post
    When Sassanian Persia, Byzantium, Turks, and Visigoths failed where the Nubians succeeded...I think that says a lot about their fighting spirit.
    You forgot the Arabs beat the Chinese as well.(With Turkish help) Also, considering how large Chinese armies tended to be back then....I think we can safely say Makurians aren't the kinda guys you wanna piss off.
    Under the patronage of Basileos Leandros I

jermagon's Avatar Domesticus

The history of Makuria(from Numibia.net)

In the middle of the seventh century there were two fully established kingdoms existing in the Nile Valley south of Aswan: Makuria in the north and Alodia to the south. The former occupied the territory from the First Cataract to the tributary called Atbara in the south, the latter stretched south of the Fifth Cataract all the way to the Ethiopian uplands. The actual border between the two has yet to be determined. Most likely in the late twenties of the seventh century, at a time when the Sassanids were in retreat from Egypt, Makuria incorporated the kingdom of Nobadia, which had existed independently since the fourth century.
    From the mid sixth century the kingdoms of Nobadia, Makuria and Alodia had had strong ties with Byzantium and Egypt. They had accepted Christianity from missionaries sent by Constantinople. At Alodia, where Axum influence was already strong, missionary work was carried out after 580 by the first Monophysite bishop of Nobadia Longinus. In Makuria, the missionaries arrived straight from Constantinople. A bishopric with ties directly to the Byzantium capital was founded at Dongola in the mid 570s. The church of Alodia remained subordinate to the bishop of Alexandria right from the start. Makuria did not accept the superiority of the Monophysite patriarchate in Alexandria until the turn of the seventh century, when Merkurios was king.

Fatimid mosque, Aswan
    The Arab conquest of Egypt changed the geopolitical situation of the two kingdoms dramatically. The raid that the second governor of Egypt, Abdullah abi Sarh, led against Makuria in 651/652 was nothing less than an attempt to subjugate the kingdom. The successful defense of the heavily fortified citadel of Dongola resulted in negotiations that led to the signing of a political and economic treaty between the parties (baqt), stabilizing the peaceful relations of Makuria with the caliphate for the next 520 years. Both Arabs and Makurians respected the border at Aswan, abided by their religious and cultural differences, established rules of travel and settlement, as well as a parity in trade exchange according to which Makuria supplied African slaves and goods, while the caliphate provided food and luxury goods.
    The great rulers of eight-century Makuria, Merkurios and Kyriakos foremost, pushed through reforms introducing a new territorial division that granted the eparchy of Nobadia special importance in maintaining good relations with Egypt and the caliphate. The Church was also reorganized at this time. A number of new bishoprics was established: Qurta, Qasr Ibrim, Faras, Sai , Dongola and, finally, Termus and Sciencur. The last two has not been localized yet, but the general location was presumably between the Third and Fourth Cataracts. Kyriakos even cultivated closer contacts with the family of the reigning king of Alodia, which kingdom did not have a stabilized relation with the caliphate.
    The seventh and eight centuries are a period of significant development in Makurian art, expressed in particular by a new type of cathedral that replaced the earlier sixth-century five-aisled basilicas. The Dongola Cathedral, the Church of the Granite Columns and the Cathedral of Paulos in Pachoras which was modeled on it, are all built on a central plan, but furnished with a columnar naos and narthex, and numerous side annexes. This type of cathedral, which was a creation of the Dongolan architectural milieu in the late seventh century, exerted a visible effect on the churches A and B in Soba in Alodia. Religious painting known from the churches of Makuria (Abu Oda, Abdallah Nirqi, Wadi es Sebua) but foremost from the Cathedral of Paulos at Pachoras, displayed a high level of artistic achievement combined with features of the local school which had grown under the influence of Egyptian styles and iconography adopted from Egypt and Palestine, if not also likely from Constantinople. This process can be recognized even more clearly in the murals decorating House A in Dongola. Civil architecture and the process of urbanization changing the face of Makurian settlements testify to the economic prosperity of the kingdom, the cultural and social aspirations of its subjects and their civilizational status.

Minaret of Fatimid mosque of Der
    A dynasty established in the thirties of the ninth century by King (Augustus) Zacharias ruled Makuria until the middle of the eleventh century. This period is frequently referred to as the golden age of Makurian culture. Resuming good relations with the caliphate loomed large on the new rulers' task list. The visit of the caliph's envoys to Dongola served this purpose, as did the official delegation to Baghdad in 836 of King Georgios I (Caesar), Zacharias' son and co-ruler. In Baghdad, he renegotiated the treaty (baqt), upholding all the principal tenets of bilateral political and economic relations. A further rapprochement between Makuria and Egypt took place in the Fatimid period in particular (9th-12th centuries). In the reigns of Zacharias I and Georgios I, Georgios II, Zacharias II and Zacharias III, the kingdom experienced rapid growth despite initial strife marring the reign of Georgios I (Nyuti's rebellion, conflict with el Omarim). New inspirations were especially well visible in Dongola. A new royal palace was erected in the capital of the kingdom, incorporating a throne hall situated on the upper floor (later Mosque). Also constructed at this time was the most monumental architectural complex in the kingdom - the Cruciform Church with its central dome. The building was designed in commemoration of Georgios's visit to Baghdad and became a symbol of the kingdom. The cathedrals in Dongola and Pachoras were renovated. The murals preserved from this period in the Pachoras cathedral are among the finest in the entire kingdom. Next to the grand compositions of Christ Enthroned, Nativity and Three Youths in a Fiery Furnace, there are countless representations of the rulers of Makuria, mothers of kings and the eparchs of Nobadia and bishops of Pachoras, the latter playing an exceedingly important role in the kingdom as primates of the Church. Smaller churches, such as the complexes at Abdallach Nirqi, Tamit and Sonqi Tino, provide many other examples of wall painting from this period.
    The fall of the Fatimid caliphate in Egypt and the rise to power of the Ayyubids, as well as internal fighting between the Black Sultans and the Turks led to a cooling in Makurian-Egyptian relations. The expedition that Salaheddin's brother led against Makuria, which terminated in the taking of Qasr Ibrim and the garrisoning of troops in the fortress there for a period of several years, resulted in growing animosity. The baqt was forgotten. Despite the efforts of Moise Georgios of Makuria no peace was negotiated. The consequences were serious for the Nubian kingdom. Food imports from Egypt were reduced substantially, forcing Makuria toward greater agricultural self-sufficiency. The granary supervisor became one of the leading officials in the kingdom. Considerable effort was put in building new fortifications or refurbishing existing but neglected defenses. A progressive Nubianization of church and state administration occurred with Greek and Coptic losing preference as the official languages in favor of Old Nubian. All of the literature in the kingdom was translated into the kingdom's vernacular at this time.
    Relations with Alodia were also strengthened, apparently by blood ties between the two ruling families. Royal marriages were facilitated with the restoration in the middle of the eleventh century of the principle of the son of the royal sister inheriting the Makurian throne. Strong royal authority diminished in the face of progressing feudalization, leaving the kingdom in the hands of an extensive group of local dignitaries drawn from the royal family and the state administration. The Makurian Church retained its strong economic position. The sons of the ruling king increasingly often became bishops and a number of the rulers spent the remaining years of their lives after abdication in monasteries, sometimes outside the kingdom. This obviously did not favor political stability within the state.
    A declining economy did not at first impact Makurian culture, which continued to represent a high level of achievement. This was true of the architecture, even though the new religious structures were on a much more modest scale and the role of civil and military building had grown substantially. No trace of falling standards can be observed in Nubian painting of the period, as evinced by murals preserved in the cathedral at Pachoras, the N-W monastery annex in Dongola and numerous local churches. The twelfth century was hardly a period of decline in the art of Makuria, but there is no denying a spreading stagnation and a drying out of new inspirations. Dongola increasingly dominated the artistic life of the kingdom, one example of this being the intensive development of the monastery of the Great Anthony in this period. Bearing witness to the times is an extensive archive of literary texts, notarial documents and letters uncovered at Qasr Ibrim.
    Strained relations between Makuria and the Islamic world marked the beginning of Mamluk rule in Egypt. An ill-advised attack on the port of Aidhab on the Red Sea and on Aswan in the times of King David triggered repressions on the part of Egypt. Open conflict could no longer be avoided in the reigns of the sultans Baybars and Qalawun. Mamluk troops took Dongola, Makurian economy suffered from looting, imposed taxes, and an administration in a state of havoc. Independence was lost with Nubian rulers depending heavily on Mamluk support to wield any kind of influence. All resistance crumbled under the weight of Arab military forays. A new threat appeared from the desert with the incursion of the Bedouin tribes, part of which settled in Makurian territory. Economical collapse was imminent with little chance for meeting imposed levies, anarchy grew. The ruler who inherited the Makurian throne in 1316 was a descendant of King David and a convert to Islam. In 1317 the throne hall of the Makurian kings was turned into a mosque. Further anarchy in the kingdom resulted in the death of the king. Makuria stopped paying tribute and Egypt ceased to meddle in the internal affairs of the kingdom.
    In 1364, in the face of a threat from the Jaad and Akarima tribes, the king and his court fled Dongola. With assistance from Egypt the Nubians managed to stop these foraying tribes at the fortress of Gebel Adda, which then became the new royal seat. The territory of Makuria (Nubian Dotawo) shrank to the region between the First and Second Cataracts, originally the southern part of the kingdom with the main centers at Qasr Ibrim and Gebel Adda, and to Batn el Hagar. In the late fourteenth and fifteenth centuries, the territories situated south of the Third Cataract descended into ever deeper anarchy, considerable ethnic changes took place, church administration all but vanished. Alodia collapsed at about the same time, it, too, having been disrupted by foraying Bedouin tribes and subsequently subordinated to the new Funj sultans, whose authority in the sixteenth century extended even as far as the Third Cataract in the south.
    To believe the evidence of documents from Qasr Ibrim and Gebel Adda, the kingdom of Dotawo (Makuria) in the region of the Second Cataract still existed in the fifteenth century. Its final collapse presumably followed the invasion of the Ottoman Turks who occupied the Nile Valley all the way to the Third Cataract. They established in this region two provinces with garrisons at Qasr Ibrim and on the island of Sai.

George Galloway ''You don't give a damn !!!!!!!!''

Makurian Male names:

Merkurios
    Zacharias
    Simon
    Abraham
    Markos
    Kyriakos
    Mikael
    Johannes
    Israel
    Georgios
    Asabyos
    Istabanos
    Kubri
    Simeon
    Rafael
    Salomo
    Moise
    Yahya
    David
    Shakanda
    Masqadat
    Barak
    Samamun
    Amai
    Kudanbes

Niuty
    Macarius
    Kyrolos
    Gabriel
    Joseph
    Benjamin
    Daniel
    Anianus
    Isaac
    Jacob
    Elias
    Tomas
    Rekabius
    Serjius
    Murianus
    yusap
    Kuluthius
    Sarbamon
    harun
    Ebranim
    Paflus
    Egnathius
    Beshoy
    Mena
    Barsom
    Matta
    Bakhum
    Damian
    Agatho
    Cosmas
    Theophilus
    Christodoros
    Ezekiel
    Discorus
    Kedron
    Paul
    Dionysius
    Primus
    Heraclas
    Theodosious
    Shenouda

[U][SIZE=3]Makurian family tree

Faction leader:Moise Georgios,(Age:43).

Faction heir:Yahya Moise,(Age:22)
    ,Spouse:Meryam(21)---David(4),Markos(2).

General: Kudanbes Mois,Age:19.

General:David Georgios,(Age:37),Spouse:Marian(Age:33)----Zacharias(13)

**Hint:All the names I posted in Both the faction names & Family trees are historically correct,but I failed to get female names,so I used Marina&Meryam which both means mary by the way
    Last edited by jermagon; August 23, 2007 at 05:54 PM.

Indefinitely Banned

Umm, wow. Excellent research Jermagon. The current family tree I've put in BC is pure fiction, I will change it to this ASAP. Thanks a lot!
    Last edited by Miraj; August 23, 2007 at 08:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by King of Axum View Post
    Though the Kingdom of Makuria was in Northern Sudan and Southern Egypt Makuria was heavily influecend by the Byzantine Empire infact every part of Makurian Society embraced GracecoRoman Culture
    The Makurian were Coptic Christians,the Coptic Pope of Alexandria was the supreme religious leader in Christian Egypt,Makuria and Ethiopia,about their culture it was a Greco-Copticnubian culture not a greco-roman(Latin) as you mentioned.

*** I added more names to my previous post,and I'll add more later
    Last edited by jermagon; August 23, 2007 at 05:47 PM.

Awesome job jermagon!

Beauchamp's Avatar Semisalis

Hadda mumtaz, ya Ustadi Jermagon!

I made a mistake before about Abyssinian titlery, but here is the fix:

Royal
    ------------
    Negus Nagast: King of Kings
    Negus: King
    Leul: Prince (of royal blood, successor)
    Ras: Duke (litterally "head" same in al-Arabii )
    Djezamach: Count (litterally "guardian of the gate")
    Fitawrari: Viscount
    Mesafint: Prince (more like "Amir" or "Lord")
    Shum: Governor

Itege: Wife of Emperor
    Leult: Princess

Regional/Special:
    --------------------
    Bahr Negus: "King of the seas" aka. Admiral
    Meridazmach: Leader of Shewa province, it means "supreme commander"
    Mesfin Harrar: Duke of Harar
    Nebura ed: Governor of Axum
    Tigray Mekonnen: Duke of Tigray
    Wagshum: Governor of Shum
    Tsehafi Tezaz: Imperial Scribe lit: "Scribe by Command"
    Afe Negus: "Mouth of the King", official spokesman.
    Lique Mekwas: King's Second in battle, commander of the bodyguards (good retinue!)

Abuna: Patriarch of the Coptic appointed church in Abyssinia.
    Aqabe sa'at: Personal chaplain to the King (good retinue!)

Hope that helps!

Beauchamp's Avatar Semisalis

Off topic, but here are two great videos about my favorite battle, Adwa:

Part 1:

Part 2: