Thread: FACTION: The Kingdom of Makuria

Default Re: Makuria - East Africa

i think only one word can explain my awe:

[silence]

yeah... that's about right.

cheers
    -indian_boy
    CHECK ME OUT ON YOUTUBE
    for Total War Tips, Tricks and Tutorials!

Great work, honestly cant wit for this mod. I rank you guys as high as EB is for rome. -Leon

Indefinitely Banned

Quote Originally Posted by the celt View Post
    Oh so they are Nubians! I was sorta right.

This is going to be a fun faction to play. I wonder, will they get their own portraits for family members or not?(And on that note, how about princesses?)
    Yes they will. And more than just that. Mongols will get their own portraits (no more arab mongols ) and Islamic factions will get new more humane portraits too (no more metal faces ).

The Mongol's Avatar Primicerius

Awesome, I always wanted a big chubby rosy cheeked Mongol face for my general lol.

Eranshahr's Avatar Primicerius

Now I know what faction to play as, withput being scared of the Mongols, or even being close to them. Nice work btw

Yesssssssss! New Portraits! Thank uuuuuuuuuu. No offense to CA but the Islamic portraits are just so ugly. You gota add that to the BC features page because it adds so much more culture to the game.

CtrlAltDe1337's Avatar Praepositus

Awsome work! This is really gonna make Africa and the Holy Lands more fun to play. I never liked Egypt in vanilla becuase you were in a little corner and never got attacked. Keep up the good work guys

Hot damn, this is just what Ive been looking for,
    urg, do I want the Knights of KoJ or the Sudanese Tribal Warband(really badass, thanks AD)!!!
    god I think Im leaning towards Makuria, as the #1 faction to play
    "I may not be there yet, but I'm closer than I was yesterday"

Very impressive fellas..

jermagon's Avatar Domesticus

awesome pics but I have some questions..
    1-does the kingdom of makuria will have orthodox Churches and priests?
    2-What's the culture of the buldings and castles for the makurians?
    3-since Makuria lies in Africa ,are you going to design a new battlefields for them?

George Galloway ''You don't give a damn !!!!!!!!''

Indefinitely Banned

Quote Originally Posted by jermagon View Post
    awesome pics but I have some questions..
    1-does the kingdom of makuria will have orthodox Churches and priests?
    2-What's the culture of the buldings and castles for the makurians?
    3-since Makuria lies in Africa ,are you going to design a new battlefields for them?
    1- Yes for churches, no for priests. There is a CTD issue with preists and new cultures.
    2- We've created a new "african" culture, but the building set will be same as mideastern. We don't do new settlement types.
    3- How do I do this?

Slaxx Hatmen's Avatar This isn't the crisis!

Icon7 Re: Makuria - East Africa

Quote Originally Posted by mirage41 View Post
    Yes they will. And more than just that. Mongols will get their own portraits (no more arab mongols ) and Islamic factions will get new more humane portraits too (no more metal faces ).
    Now thats good to hear!
    Under the patronage of Basileos Leandros I

All looks great, but shouldn't 'knights' name be reserved for European kingdoms? It is hard to believe that there were knights in Africa, with its culture and ceremonial behavior. I'm not historian with African knowledge, so I might be wrong, but African Knights is damn weird for me...

Well yes it's a strange to use the word 'Knight' for any faction outside of England as it's a word that derives from old English.

As a word it really just means someone that is tied to feudal service as a mounted combatant. Africa was a feudal society, and these chaps are mounted combatants. Plus they are armoured and dressed similarly to European knights (according to DBA), so why not?

Cheers
    "I don't want to sit around Windsor because ermm .. I just generally don't like England that much" - Prince Harry, 3rd in Line for the British Thrown

For King or Country - The English civil wars.

It is not enough to possess knight’s weaponry to be knight. All the European Knights had to obey special codex. Also they had to come through kind a long way, had to prove their worth and nobility to be dubbed for a knight. I seriously doubt that all that rich and complex ceremonies took place on the black lands. Let’s take for example European Retainers – equipped as knights, but they weren’t them.

Also, it is not good idea to believe in all dbaol include. I found many mistakes there.

It is not enough to possess knight’s weaponry to be knight
    You clearly didnt read my post.

All the European Knights had to obey special codex.
    Yes, feudalism.

I seriously doubt that all that rich and complex ceremonies took place on the black lands.
    Then you are correct in your previous post where you say you lack African historical knowledge.

Also, it is not good idea to believe in all dbaol include. I found many mistakes there.
    I'm sure they will be interested to hear about your advice.

Cheers
    "I don't want to sit around Windsor because ermm .. I just generally don't like England that much" - Prince Harry, 3rd in Line for the British Thrown

For King or Country - The English civil wars.

I did not refer to knecht, but to retainers. Polish Retainers, presented also in M2, is a historical unit that fought as a knight, but they were not them. I can believe, that African Feudalism create similar ‘institution’ to European knights, it’s just I don’t think it is a good idea to put them together into one sack and name knights. Isn’t there original African name for that Noble Heavy Cavalryman? I do not claim that African counterparts were worst then European, they were just different. That is why in my opinion they should be named with different word. But hey, I’m just your supporter who is trying to support you with its knowledge and sense. You will name that unit as you want and you will still enjoy my blessing, as the job you are doing is simply amazing

BTW, I have nothing to black people. When lived in UK I had some good black friends from Nigeria, Jamaica, Bronx

EDIT: were those Makurians christians?
    Last edited by Rayoken; July 05, 2007 at 10:25 AM.

Indefinitely Banned

Yes they are Christians. Historically they were orthodox Christians similar to the Coptic church, I believe.

We call them Knights because they represent the landowning feudal class. If you can find us an authentic Nubian name for Knights then we'd appreciate it. But IMO the word "knight" is a broad enough term for them, and suitable for them since they are christian too.

Well, if they are Christians, it makes more sense. But still, it is hard to say that there were knights in Byzantium, or in Russia, which are both orthodox and located in Europe.
    BTW, I’m sorry if I’m being little annoying