Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Comitatenses vs. Legionary Cohort

Default Re: Comitatenses vs. Legionary Cohort

Quote Originally Posted by Barbarian_Prince View Post
    I decided to pit Gaius the Roman vs Festus the Byzantine...

In the red toga and segmented armour, we've got Gaius the Roman!
    In purple garments (plus some nice-looking pants) and the high-tech chainmail, we've got Festus the Byzantine!

Find out who wins!

As both soldiers approach each other, Gaius and Festus hurl their pilum/spiculum at each other. Gaius' pilum sticks right into Festus' oval shield. Festus' spiculum manages to do the same to Gaius' much bigger shield.

Both soldiers toss their shields away as they've become too heavy to carry. Let's see how both soldiers do without their shields!

Festus the Byzantine points his spatha sword and taunts Gaius: Where did you get that armor from? A museum or something?

Gaius replies: Very funny. You wished you had this armour at Adrianople! Now I will cut you down for the glory of Rome!

Festus retorts: Glory of Rome? Glory no longer exists! In fact, you shouldn't exist! Time to fix this anomoly!

Festus swings his longer spatha at Gaius' head. Gaius steps back to avoid the swing and quickly retaliates by thrusting his gladius forward but has misjudged the distance.

Festus swings his blade again, and manages to strike the chest of Gaius. Gaius falls down in pain, but luckily, his segmented armour minimizes the damage. Gaius gets back up, but Festus comes in quickly for another attack. Gaius steps into the wide-swing of Festus and delivers a quick stab at the Byzantine soldier's stomach. Festus falls down gripping his body. Gaius moves forward and executes the Byzantine.

Rome: 1
    Byzantium: 0
    he he +rep for creativity.
    "Romans not only easily conquered those who fought by cutting, but mocked them too. For the cut, even delivered with force, frequently does not kill, when the vital parts are protected by equipment and bone. On the contrary, a point brought to bear is fatal at two inches; for it is necessary that whatever vital parts it penetrates, it is immersed. Next, when a cut is delivered, the right arm and flank are exposed. However, the point is delivered with the cover of the body and wounds the enemy before he sees it."

- Flavius Vegetius Renatus (in Epitoma Rei Militari, ca. 390)

Prince_of_Macedon's Avatar Πρίγκηψ της Μακεδονίας

Thanks guys!

Gaius said he was very prepared for his opponent. After running several laps around the Coliseum each morning, and sparring with multiple gladiators simultaneously, Gaius knew he could take anyone down!
    HOW TO PLAY EMPIRE TOTAL WAR OFFLINE

"It is a lovely thing to live with courage and to die leaving behind an everlasting renown." - ALEXANDER THE GREAT

Watch my online-commentary battles here
    Under the Patronage of Hader

3 cheers for Gaius!
    To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence;
    supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting.

Muagan_ra's Avatar Senator

Historically, I think Comitatenses would have the benefit of advanced technology. Superior armour and weaponry has to count for something; if we bear in mind that the Comitatenses are still professional soldiers, men from any time are as capable as any other of being good fighters.

The original Legionaries where fighting disorganised Tribes (not to disrespect the celtic tribes - they just wheren't killing machines) and outdated military techniques. The Comitatenses faced a much, much more advanced enemy - when the technology gap between Rome and the Barbaricum was greatly reduced, and still did admirably for a few centuries.

I'd favour the Comitatenses.

(nb: I don't want to debate them in-game, because I think Comitateneses are underpowered. Auxilia Palatina, however...)

Quote Originally Posted by Muagan_ra
    The original Legionaries where fighting disorganised Tribes.
    This is not true in every case. On both counts.

Yah! I never really did like the Byzanitines............

In game i reacon that legionarys would win Comitatenses rout too easily, because they dont have the morale bonus.

Plus, I dont here stories of the Famous Comitatenses. Do you? Didnt think so.
    supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting.

Quote Originally Posted by polarbear297 View Post
    Plus, I dont here stories of the Famous Comitatenses. Do you? Didnt think so.
    I think this is because at the time of the legionarys, rome was looking too expand their empire, while when the time of the comitatenses was around there job was more to protect the empire there predisesors had built. Legionarys got most of the glory lol.

And that is why the Legionarys would win

The Comitatenses, with their long swords and smaller shields, were equipped for smaller skirmishes and one on one combat. As the empire crumbled, there may not have been a soldier on your right with a massive shield to watch your flank. Hence the need for a smaller shield you could whip around and defend yourself with.

However, organization always beats disorganization and individual combat. Add to this the higher level of training overall the average 1st century legionary would have recieved as opposed to the comitatensus (due to limited funds towards the end of the empire). The classical legions were also generally staffed by higher quality troopers, you had to be at least 6 feet tall, have a current soldier's reccomendation, etc. The classical legions would come out on top.

This is of course barring miliatary geniuses from the fight (i.e. Hannibal).

Thread Revival! Anyway, this has been discussed enough.

Civis

Quote Originally Posted by captainbloodloss View Post
    The classical legions were also generally staffed by higher quality troopers, you had to be at least 6 feet tall, have a current soldier's reccomendation, etc.
    Source?

-Glee

Quote Originally Posted by Roman Clone View Post
    Thread Revival! Anyway, this has been discussed enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Gleemonex View Post
    Source?

-Glee

You People Just Don't Get it

Commander_Vimes's Avatar Campidoctor

Besides Legionary Cohort look way much better than the comitanese and they used there sheilds a hell of a lot in battle definetly alot more than their swords so a bigger shield would be cool.

Civis

Quote Originally Posted by Roman Clone View Post

You People Just Don't Get it
    Nor do you -- if I still have questions, the topic obviously hasn't been discussed enough, has it?

-Glee

YOU JUST- Oh Nvm..................

I imagine it would be the Cohorts, since Comitatenses have quite poor morale.

Yes They Do, Would you Like to stare at lots of barbarians knowing you have no one willingly help you?

Quote Originally Posted by captainbloodloss View Post
    you had to be at least 6 feet tall
    I'd like to echo the call for a source on this. Romans were not the lankiest of people. I think if any army were to limit itself to people of only 6ft of height and greater, they would often come up "short" of manpower.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast