Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Medieval II Computer & Hardware Recommendations

irishron's Avatar Cura Palatii

Default Re: 'New Computer or Hardware' recommendations

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost_loy View Post
    Okay I have a question.

What is the most important part of the Computer for M2/ETW.

I have:
    5600 2.8 Ghz AMD Athlon x2 Dual Core
    4 gigs Kingston Ram @ 1066
    Biostar T Series Mobo
    EVGA 8800gt 512mb
    2 Sata Hard Drives @ 291 gigs total with 62.65 Gigs Free

Is the Video Card more important for performance or the CPU?

I can play M2 fairly well.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

High Unit Settings/No Shadows

So I was wondering After I replace my dying PSU should I focus on a CPU or a GPU? I think CPU. What do you think?
    With those specs the bottleneck I see is the game itself.

Really? hmm I didnt think 2.8ghz dual core was that good. This morning I Overclocked it stable to 3.0ghz....Getting ready for Empire. Oh well.

I guess there's an issue with my DVD-ROM Drive, since the Medieval 2 Disc1 works fine, but the Kingdoms Disc will not read at all! It doesn't make the spinning noise, it only makes a faint robotic beep, and then I have to try and try to get my Medieval Disc to work... maybe I just need a new drive.

Quote Originally Posted by Hrothgar Óhreinsaður View Post
    I guess there's an issue with my DVD-ROM Drive, since the Medieval 2 Disc1 works fine, but the Kingdoms Disc will not read at all! It doesn't make the spinning noise, it only makes a faint robotic beep, and then I have to try and try to get my Medieval Disc to work... maybe I just need a new drive.
    Have you checked the discs visually to make sure they are still good? Do you have another computer to try them on? Could be a bad dvd, too.

Both Discs are fine when I look at their surfaces. One reads in my drive, and the other doesn't. I will ask a few friends to try the disc in their drives. I'm thinking it's either a bad disc or a bad drive, and I hope it's the disc moreso than the drive.

If you have a bad dvd tell Sega they owe you one. Search this forum and you'll see you're not alone.

I just won a pc on ebay its got GEforce 8100, Nvidea, 5.3Ghz, 2GB Ram. Its an Athlon Dual Core AM3 240. It has no OP Sys. My question is can i run M2TW using a Linux system???

Quote Originally Posted by roywebcafe View Post
    I just won a pc on ebay its got GEforce 8100, Nvidea, 5.3Ghz, 2GB Ram. Its an Athlon Dual Core AM3 240. It has no OP Sys. My question is can i run M2TW using a Linux system???
    No. M2 is not Linux compatible. But you can dual-boot that machine depending on the hard drive space. That of course requires a Windows OP as the second boot option.

EDIT: Looks like I was wrong. Someone found a link to a Linux compatible version. Live and learn.
    Last edited by PoleCat; August 05, 2009 at 03:22 PM.
    Piss Poor Tech Support of Last Resort

Lord Sherwin's Avatar Foederatus

I bought a NVidia GeForce 9400GT will it run the M2TW smoothly on a high settings?

Maybe. It's one of first of the 9 series released and it won't do what players say a 9800 will do. You might get a little lag in battles but otherwise you should have no more trouble than anyone else.

Icon9 I can not see my mouse cursor

Hi to everyone!
    I need your help please.
    When I play Medival II, I can not see my mouse cursor.
    when drag it to a box, it highlights it but I can not see it..

Please if anyone knows, help.
    Thanks.

Default Re: I can not see my mouse cursor

Quote Originally Posted by eliasmanos View Post
    Hi to everyone!
    I need your help please.
    When I play Medival II, I can not see my mouse cursor.
    when drag it to a box, it highlights it but I can not see it..

Please if anyone knows, help.
    Thanks.
    You should ask this in the main Tech Help forum as this thread is mostly for hardware recommendations to play the game. No worries though.

I'll ask this here but please make a new thread to answer:

• Are video drivers up to date?
    • Are you sure your video card can handle this game?

If you respond please give us your system specs just in case. It might help. If you don't know how here it is:

DxDiag is easy to run if you have any knowledge of Windows. Go to the "Start" button and in that menu choose "Run Program" option ("Run..." in Vista IIRC). In the pop-up field type "dxdiag" and press enter. This is the DirectX test program - let it finish the test. After the test is finished choose the button toward the bottom labeled "Save All Information..." and save it to your desktop. Next open up this forum and post the results by copying and pasting directly to the forum. Please don't post attachments as they take up more space and time - just copy and paste. Please post ALL info and if you can please wrap it in a spoiler tag to minimize page size.

Thanks!
    Piss Poor Tech Support of Last Resort

I am a luddite artist who does a few bits here and there on the mod boards.

My XPS M1710 Dell has a fair amount of grunt in it for those FPS but my modding addiction is getting serious. Went and purchased a fresh set of original M2TW / Kingdoms discs today at my local game shop in Glasgow and asked the nice tech master from the back room there to make me a custom monster PC with one aim only - terrifying power as a piece of M2TW DLV / DAC dev kit.

I've read through your excellent thread and the leads to all the motherboards and cards - good info there! I wonder at this time (Spet '09) what are the undisputed killer cards that are known to really kick out the FPS at break neck speed? Is there a level where it's a waste of time spending more (seeing it's an older game now). Please advise. I'd like to give the lad some good pointers. remember - this killer kit will only need to play M2TW and not require anything but XP. It is dedicate kit. Please advise.

For comparision my current kit is the Dell XPS laptop M1710 with Intel Core2 CPU T7600 @ 2.33GHz, 2.0GB Ram, Nvidia GeForce Go 7900 GTX

Thank you for your time and consideration.

-- Tokus*Maximus
    Last edited by Tokus*Maximus; September 22, 2009 at 05:53 PM. Reason: Mo' tech stoof!

Dear all,

I'm just looking for a new laptop (Old laptop could barely run RTW with medium units).

We're looking at running MTW with unit size on Max, with reasonable graphics* (doesn't have to be max graphics)

Um... here are three laptops I have selected within my price range and their specifications. Best if you just check the links with "full specs click here". Thanks everyone!! I'm calling on your experience of gaming since I've never played MTW and really don't know which one will run better.

Cheers, Mike (Brisbane)

1. MSI-GT725

• The latest Intel® Centrino® 2 Processor Technology
    Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium
    (MSI recommends upgrade to Genuine Windows Vista® Business)
    • 17" TFT-LCD Widescreen Display
    • Exclusive Turbo Drive Engine Technology
    • Exclusive ECO Engine Power Management System
    • The Combination of Aluminum and Metallic Threads in Body Design
    • The Best ATi Mobility Radeon HD 4850 3D Graphic Card with 512 MB VRAM
    • Theater Class 5 Speakers Recognized and Approved by the Highest standards of Dolby®
    • HDMI (High-Definition Multimedia Interface) Output
    • Built-in 2.0 Mega Pixel Webcam
    • 802.11 b/g/n Wireless LAN with Bluetooth
    Full specs click here

INTEL CORE 2 QUAD Q9000 2.0GHz,
    Mobile Intel PM45 Express Chipset +ICH9M,
    2X2GB DDR2 800MHz SDRAM,
    640GB 5400rpm SATA HDD,
    16 HD LED backlight Color-Shine (Glare-type) DISPLAY,
    NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX260M/1GB VRAM,
    DVD SUPER-MULTI+DUAL LAYER,

Full specs click here

3. ASUS - G71Gx

full specs click here

Any of them will run ME2 but not maxxed. Your first choice is worst. If you're going to that much trouble and being Vista, get the 64bit Vista and at least the 4gigs I saw in the last one. Mobile graphics chips still aren't made for hardcore 3d gaming.

the gpu i think

Cooltosha's Avatar Semisalis

Ok, so I got new screen and since it's a stretched 24 inch one (rectangular, not a square one) it has automatically recommended me to switch to 1920x1080 resolution. So I did. Many programs have already automatically adapted, except for antique games such as Starcraft and so on.

However, when I started M2TW, it was deformed and stretched. Screen automatically notified me to change resolution in the game from 1024x768 to 1920x1080. So I went to game settings and did that.

But, here's the problem, there are no changes! Game says it's running on 1920x1080 resolution, but there are NO CHANGES from the 1024x768 resolution. And it ruins the game.

Can anyone help? Please.

edit: LOL, it's my 500th post!
    Magister Templi Sancti Banani dei pauperes commilitones Kongi Templique Sancti Banani - KONG WILLS IT!
    In Serbia, 90% of people listen to turbo-folk "music". If you are part of the 10% that listen to real music, including metal, put this in your signature
    Obama, your time is up. We're taking our country back from you liberal commies.

Did you check the widescreen box in options?

Did you check the medieval2.preferences.cfg to see it is in there correctly?

This game is ancient for 24'' sceens, too.

Current system
    AMD xp2000+
    ASROCK K7s41GX
    1 gig ram
    Geforce FX5200 ultra
    80 gig hard drive
    xp pro

Now I know it's an old system. It only starts to get seriously laggy in sieges of large cities or for example the historical battle with the aztecs. Not worried about having the best graphics just more fps. I am playing on the lowest graphics setting which is perfectly ok for me. So short of upgrading to a completely new system could I get more frame rates by just upgrading the graphics card or even cpu?
    Last edited by herne_the _hunter; April 09, 2011 at 07:31 AM.