Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Celebrating the Greatest Total War game ever!

Elzabar's Avatar Krazy Kiwi

Default Re: Celebrating the Greatest Total War game ever!

Yep, MTW would have to be the most re-playable TW game on my computer. Its the only TW game I've ever actually finished a campaign on!! (without cheating )

cegorach, cant wait to try out P&M

Lou337's Avatar Decanus

My favorite thing about this game:

When a foreign army set foot on your land, it actually meant immediate war!...unlike rtw and mtw2.

It always made me mad in rtw when some random army roamed my lands for years standing outside my cities waiting for my army to come out and play.
    Visit my blog

Yeah, that was good, but it meant your armies couldnt go through your allies land to attack an enemy without using crusades. What wouldve been nice is a military access feature. But still, the game rocks.

Trainable inquisitors!
    useful halbardiers
    and another voice for the awesome "execute prisioners" button

But, let us remember the bad things too.
    The crusades, crusades picking up actual units from the regions they passed through was interesting, what was very annoying though, was the blatent cheating the AI did with crusade pathing, while the player could only move crusades through regions on a straight line to the target i lost count of the number of times an enemy crusade zigzagged though my land taking half my soldiers with it

and building damage, given how expansive the building trees were (i do miss that) and how long everything took to build, it could reduce a grown man to tears when the enemy took one of your provinces, the master armourer was destroyed and you needed to spend 50 years teching back up again after you reclaimed your land

But it was also extremely realistic. An enemy isnt going to march through your lands without doing any damage, and if there was no damage, you wouldnt learn to protect your borders. Lots.

Anyone playing MTW original on new graphic cards? It is not working anymore on 8800 nvidias. I used to have an ATI 1950 and it worked fine, but not anymore. Anyone who could get it to work please let me know!!!

Domesticus

Can someone recommend me some good MTW mods. Thanks.

Theres a thread here with good MTW mods. If you're meaning MTW without VI than I dont know any.

Quote Originally Posted by fieldmarshal View Post
    Can someone recommend me some good MTW mods. Thanks.

Link

For vanilla MTW 1.1 (that is, if you don't have Viking Invasion), the only mod available is Wes' Medmod. It's a good one, though.
    "Evil is easy, and has infinite forms." - Pascal

Default In My Humble Opinion

Medieval 1 is the best total war game. The AI was hard. The Economy was mildly difficult. You could have battles with thousands of troops. On the campaign map you could do cool things like outflank an enemy army.

Now, it isnt all great, for one thing graphics. Another is the diplomacy.

But come on, it is still fun even after rtw and mIItw has gotten old.

Default Re: In My Humble Opinion

yeah I just recently reinstalled this game, 5 hours just flew past.

I couldn't agree with you more.

Prince_of_Macedon's Avatar Πρίγκηψ της Μακεδονίας

Quote Originally Posted by totalwarrior007 View Post
    Medieval 1 is the best total war game. The AI was hard. The Economy was mildly difficult. You could have battles with thousands of troops. On the campaign map you could do cool things like outflank an enemy army.

Now, it isnt all great, for one thing graphics. Another is the diplomacy.

But come on, it is still fun even after rtw and mIItw has gotten old.
    If you wish to voice your opinions about Medieval 1 (the greatest game ever), then I will merge this with the other thread that celebrates its greatness

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=107245
    HOW TO PLAY EMPIRE TOTAL WAR OFFLINE

"It is a lovely thing to live with courage and to die leaving behind an everlasting renown." - ALEXANDER THE GREAT

Watch my online-commentary battles here
    Under the Patronage of Hader

Quote Originally Posted by Ramtha View Post
    This thread is made to celebrate mtw1, not only the greatest total war game, but also the greatest game in history!

I celebrate mtw1 for these reasons:

1) the superior 2 dimensional campaign map.
    2) the superior valour system
    3) the balance between melee infantry, missile infantry, and cavalry.
    4) the dark and evil feeling of the crusades and the holywars.
    5) All generals, princes, kings, and captains all had their own character, and could become a great battle warlord.
    6) the simplified, and efficient traits system, they were short and sweet, and did their job.
    7) command, dread, piety, and acumen actually were used for stuff, unlike rtw and mtw2.
    8) Allies actually cooped with you to aid you in battle.
    9) 3 and 4 way battles
    10) titles that could be assigned to characters, which made them feel like you could follow their personalities, unlike the title mods in mtw2, which just don't feel like anything really, as traits are just excessive and useless in rtw and mtw2.
    11) The strategic feel to the battles, slow moving, but had such a solidness about them.
    12) the way having elites would make you feel superior, or fighting against elite armies made you scared.
    13) the ability to form units into single ranks, something rtw and mtw2 can not do. And the way they could be manipulated.
    14) infantry had the ability to form wedge, and it was used for something.
    15) cavalry could dismount before battle.
    16) hills, weather, cliffs, and terrain would play a huge roll in the outcome of a battle.
    17) Holding a bridge was realistically simple, while crossing a bridge was realistically impossible.
    18) the realistic morale system, and the effects valour had on the morale of units.
    19) the AI actually engaged you in battles, and kept you entertained.
    20) the campaign AI would actually attack you, and send stacks at you.
    21) the AI's ability to be destroyed, then respawn a few years later.
    22) the complete unpredictability of the campaign play out, it was any AI faction's ballgame, something new and different every time.

Add anything to this that you think mtw1 should be celebrated for, or feel free to post a comment about how much you loved mtw1.

No trolling this, or posting negative comments or arguements about mtw1, this thread is strictly made to celebrate mtw1.

Nah, Shogun was better. MTW is still better than RTW and M2TW, though.

Finally registered on the forums, and 1st post! All of this because I read this entire thread and I can't agree more! I played MTW1 for years, and MTW2 heavily since it came out, also I just played both of these very heavily again in the past 2 weeks and can see clear differences.

Here's my reasons..

1. MTW can be VERY unpredictable sometimes. Adds a bit of spice, chance, and flair to the game.
    2. I liked the 2D map more, it's clean and quick..
    3. I liked how you and the enemies could have bottlenecks on the campaign map.
    4. More control over your lineage, which also includes creating nutcases from inbreeding lol.
    5. The AI seemed more capable on the campaign map.
    6. The AI seemed a LOT more capable in the battle mode (in comparison to MTW2).
    7. The atmosphere was more "medieval-like".
    8. Building armies took a bit of preparation (unlike MTW2 - You can spew out elites like it's going out of style).
    9. Losing a province HURT, in MTW2 life goes on.. doesn't impact you as much.
    10. Different starting periods.
    11. When you controlled the ocean areas, you really controlled them. You could send ships to actually 'cut off' the enemy.
    12. Crusades.. the power and the penalty. They can be powerful tools if used correctly, but on the same token they can drain you dry. Basically in MTW crusades felt like they "swept through the land", draining everything dry.
    13. One of the features I really like... you can take an average joe in your army, give him a title, marry him to a princess, and it felt like you 'forged' this individual. I've always felt more attached to my characters in MTW, in MTW2 I never honestly cared much if I lost any characters.
    14. Trade wasn't micromanaged imo.

Its always made me feel like I was on a fair ride, zing'ing all over the place.. never knowing what my next turn was going to bring me (ie, civil wars, crusades, etc). I'll honestly say, MTW2 doesn't give me that feeling as did the previous incarnation. Sure some of the mods for MTW2 can provide better gameplay (thanks to the modders), but in the end the original MTW is the one that has that solid grit to it.

Well put, LordofSaxony! I agree with pretty much everything you've said. No, MTW isn't a perfect game, but I find the overall experience continues to be superior to the later titles (despite a few gameplay improvements in Rome & Medieval 2).

By the way, welcome!
    "Evil is easy, and has infinite forms." - Pascal

Grand Duke Vytautas's Avatar Dueling it out
    Citizen

Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Universe, lol

Quote Originally Posted by Martok View Post
    Well put, LordofSaxony! I agree with pretty much everything you've said. No, MTW isn't a perfect game, but I find the overall experience continues to be superior to the later titles (despite a few gameplay improvements in Rome & Medieval 2).

By the way, welcome!
    That's what I call quality and polished game, where gameplay>graphics Probably the best TW title yet (M2TW comes close)
    “Great empires are not maintained by timidity.” ― Tacitus

Quote Originally Posted by Grand Duke Vytautas View Post
    That's what I call quality and polished game, where gameplay>graphics Probably the best TW title yet (M2TW comes close)
    Ya... same here.. gameplay > graphics.

christof139's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Being able to assign titles and marry off princesses, especially the old, ugly and dumb ones, to your own troops was excellent and realistic.

Certain regions/provinces giving certain characteristics to trop types and costs was also great, and I think this can be done in RTW-BI, but am not sure about that.

The 2D campmap was good and ran smoother, and whay they decided to go 3D in RTW is beyond me. It was not necessary, and a good 2D campmap will give the same 3D effect anyway.

MTW is great and probably more moddable and overall better than RTW, although some RTW-BI mods are excellent thanx to the modders.

Chris

christof139's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Lou337 View Post
    My favorite thing about this game:

When a foreign army set foot on your land, it actually meant immediate war!...unlike rtw and mtw2.

It always made me mad in rtw when some random army roamed my lands for years standing outside my cities waiting for my army to come out and play.
    Yeah, MTW is much more realistic in that respect. In RTW-BI you don't know what the heck is going on with foreign armies in your land, and then eventually they do attack deep in your land or at an important spot even if they had an alliance with you, and that did not happen historically.

If you crossed a border without an alliance it meant war.

Chris

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast