Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Celebrating the Greatest Total War game ever!

joerd9's Avatar Decanus

Default Re: Celebrating the Greatest Total War game ever!

Not too accurate, iirc. but they don't have to be. Their main effect is the causing of fear.

The civil wars made this very interesting, indeed. Have a low influence king and you'll have to think very carefully about your next action. In MTW2, if you have a low influence king then... well ... you simply have a low influence king. No major consequences.
    And the reappearing factions made sure that some diversity was provided.

Spart's Avatar Senator

Thirty something..) Awesome, immersive audio. Kickass music, those little men screaming terribly when they die, swords clashing together and the juicy sound of spilling blood.

But the best thing is the arabic retreat horn, the best sound in the history of gaming.

The trading system is great too, you can't ship goods from Constantinople to England in M2.

Anyone mentioned the artwork yet?
    Member of S.I.N
    Finns to the rescue!

How absurd men are! They never use the liberties they have, they demand those they do not have. They have freedom of thought, they demand freedom of speech.
    -Søren Kierkegaard

joerd9's Avatar Decanus

Quote Originally Posted by Spart View Post
    But the best thing is the arabic retreat horn, the best sound in the history of gaming.
    true...

Quote Originally Posted by Spart View Post
    Anyone mentioned the artwork yet?

Dam... of course! These drawings are very well done - and add a lot to the atmosphere...

-Jannissaries were kick-ass
    -Conquering was more awesome and easier and you could Zerg rush unprotected terratories.
    -Good AI, tried to be friends with you if you were strong rather then the AI in RTW, which was in most cases programmed to hate.
    -All units were awesome.
    -Great music, love the European mobilize.
    -Arabic horn= owns
    -Civil wars
    -Re-emerging factions
    -Golden Horde inspired fear to all fations when they appear in 1230.
    -Large scale of battles were awesome
    -Religion, loyalty and influence can be profitable rather then non-existent (RTW) or completely useless and annoying (BI and MTW2).
    -Art ruled and was moody
    - The Papacy forced Christians to fight against pagans, muslims, orthodoxians and rebels or face excommunication which created large religious wars.
    -Crusades and Jihades were awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by A.J.P. Taylor
    Peaceful agreement and government by consent are possible only on the basis of ideas common to all parties; and these ideas must spring from habit and from history. Once reason is introduced, every man, every class, every nation becomes a law unto itself; and the only right which reason understands is the right of the stronger. Reason formulates universal principles and is therefore intolerant: there can be only one rational society, one rational nation, ultimately one rational man. Decisions between rival reasons can be made only by force.

Quote Originally Posted by H.L Spieghel
    Is het niet hogelijk te verwonderen, en een recht beklaaglijke zaak, Heren, dat alhoewel onze algemene Dietse taal een onvermengde, sierlijke en verstandelijke spraak is, die zich ook zo wijd als enige talen des werelds verspreidt, en die in haar bevang veel rijken, vorstendommen en landen bevat, welke dagelijks zeer veel kloeke en hooggeleerde verstanden uitleveren, dat ze nochtans zo zwakkelijk opgeholpen en zo weinig met geleerdheid verrijkt en versiert wordt, tot een jammerlijk hinder en nadeel des volks?
    Quote Originally Posted by Miel Cools
    Als ik oud ben wil ik zingen,
    Oud ben maar nog niet verrot.
    Zoals oude bomen zingen,
    Voor Jan Lul of voor hun god.
    Ook een oude boom wil reizen,
    Bij een bries of bij een storm.
    Zelfs al zit zijn kruin vol luizen,
    Zelfs al zit zijn voet vol worm.
    Als ik oud ben wil ik zingen.

Cò am Fear am measg ant-sluaigh,
    A mhaireas buan gu bràth?
    Chan eil sinn uileadh ach air chuart,
    Mar dhìthein buaile fàs,
    Bheir siantannan na bliadhna sìos,
    'S nach tog a' ghrian an àird.

Quote Originally Posted by Jörg Friedrich
    When do I stop being a justified warrior? When I've killed a million bad civilians? When I've killed three million bad civilians? According to a warsimulation by the Pentagon in 1953 the entire area of Russia would've been reduced to ruins with 60 million casualties. All bad Russians. 60 million bad guys. By how many million ''bad'' casualties do I stop being a knight of justice? Isn't that the question those knights must ask themselves? If there's no-one left, and I remain as the only just one,

Then I'm God.
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis Napoleon III, Des Idees Napoleoniennes
    Governments have been established to aid society to overcome the obstacles which impede its march. Their forms have been varied according to the problems they have been called to cure, and according to character of the people they have ruled over. Their task never has been, and never will be easy, because the two contrary elements, of which our existence and the nature of society is composed, demand the employment of different means. In view of our divine essence, we need only liberty and work; in view of our mortal nature, we need for our direction a guide and a support. A government is not then, as a distinguished economist has said, a necessary ulcer; it is rather the beneficent motive power of all social organisation.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfgang Held
    I walked into those baracks [of Buchenwald concentrationcamp], in which there were people on the three-layered bunkbeds. But only their eyes were alive. Emaciated, skinny figures, nothing more but skin and bones. One thinks that they are dead, because they did not move. Only the eyes. I started to cry. And then one of the prisoners came, stood by me for a while, put a hand on my shoulder and said to me, something that I will never forget: ''Tränen sind denn nicht genug, mein Junge,
    Tränen sind denn nicht genug.''

Jajem ssoref is m'n korew
    E goochem mit e wenk, e nar mit e shtomp
    Wer niks is, hot kawsones

therussian's Avatar Use your imagination

Got one: the totally brutal (yet awesome) sound that the game makes when you execute prisoners.

House of the Caesars | Under the Patronage of Comrade Trance Crusader. Proud Patron of Comrades Shadow_Imperator, Zenith Darksea, Final Frontier and Plutarch | Second Generation| ex-Eagle Standard Editor| Consilium de Civitate | Album Reviews

i bought the total war: eras package and i've mostly been occupied with RTW and its mods for the better part of the year, but i'm planning to take the plunge into MTW 1 and shogun this week.

for MTW1, does vanilla provide a good single player experience on its own or is it kind of like RTW where you can't really enjoy the game unless you have mods? (i've heard a lot about the XL mod and i'm wondering if vanilla's a total mess without it)

rep me if you like my posts, and it's highly likely you'll get some back

The former, but I would suggest getting XL anyway

House of the Caesars | Under the Patronage of Comrade Trance Crusader. Proud Patron of Comrades Shadow_Imperator, Zenith Darksea, Final Frontier and Plutarch | Second Generation| ex-Eagle Standard Editor| Consilium de Civitate | Album Reviews

thanks, i'll try vanilla first, then get XL

for MTW1, does vanilla provide a good single player experience on its own or is it kind of like RTW where you can't really enjoy the game unless you have mods? (i've heard a lot about the XL mod and i'm wondering if vanilla's a total mess without it)
    You don't even need mods for mtw1, it was that good.

In fact, mods for mtw1 might even ruin your mtw1 experience in a way, because vanilla is so good on it's own, mods like xl would make it that much better, and might make you go insane.
    Original Creator of Renaissance Total War (MTW2)
    Creator of Medieval Classic (MTW2)
    Maker of Instant Tech Mod (ETW)
    Maker of Infinite Money Campaign (ETW)
    Maker of Blockbuster Music Mod (ETW):
    http://www.2shared.com/file/5209733/...Music_Mod.html
    A Top Contributor of the Downloads Section
    Under the Patronage of Selenius4tsd

I found some pics of this game... craphics was... erm... u know... not the best but... ehh...

You can not call yourself a true TW fan then, if a paltry thing like graphics lower your opinion of such a magnificent game
    Last edited by therussian; July 02, 2007 at 09:33 PM.

This game DEFINED total war! It MADE total war.

I especially laugh at the people that thought rome was a "step up" from mtw1, that's just a joke jajaja.

The Good's Avatar the Bad and the Ugly

This game DEFINED total war! It MADE total war.

I especially laugh at the people that thought rome was a "step up" from mtw1, that's just a joke jajaja.
    Ah, but have you tried Shogun: Total War? I don't have it yet, and I do want to get it some day. But that game BEGAN Total War, it STARTED Total War!

Medieval is a great Total War though, probably second place for me, beside Medieval II.

(Sorry, couldn't resist the phrases BEGAN and STARTED, )

well this is an MTW appreciation thread, but i can't resist: i just played Shogun for the first time and i nearly wet myself: THIS GAME IS AMAZING! vanilla is actually challenging, no mods necessary, IT WILL BLOW YOU AWAY RIGHT OUT OF THE BOX%@#$!!!

i'm gonna need a few weeks to conquer japan first (as the Uesugi clan) then i'll give MTW a whirl. here's hoping it's as amazing (if not more) as STW
    Last edited by el_dude; July 03, 2007 at 01:47 AM.

yeah I always hear shogun was the best...

but I would probably like mtw1 better still because it's more global, as to me japan is very small and not enough width.

Let's hear it for shogun and mtw1! As they both use the almighty 2 dimensional campaign map!

you know ramtha i was actually thinking the same thing but shogun is extremely challenging because there are so many different clans and you share borders with all of them (including rebel and ronin clan, who will actually attack and invade you!).

sure the land mass is smaller but there are tons of provinces, constantly shifting alliances (alliances actually matter and the AI is very smart about it), amazing unit variety, and if anything, is more of a challenge than anything else I've ever played, and i'm not just talking battles here: the campaign itself is a challenge, you've got to think like a friggin' chess player if you want to stay alive

if you get a chance, i highly recommend you give it a try

meh that would mean I'd have to find it on a online garage sale...

it would be about 5-8 dollars now yea?

Savage_Swede's Avatar Carolus Rex

Oh man, this thread made me cry. Metaphoricly(sp?) speaking

My absolute favourite feature were the civil wars. I just loved the chaos it brought with it. After uniting all of Turkey, Egypt, and the Middle East under the Byzantine banner, the entire empire was split in two when the emperor died. Two of his sons disputed against the reightful heir and rebelled (along with my strongest army and general). Took me fourty years to unite it all again and to capture the emperors rebellious brothers.

Oh the feeling when the two were executed... Mmm, memories...

Oh and another thing is that you could play it as vanilla. It was a great game completely out of the box.

Damn, i'm installing it again right now.

Btw, i have thought about getting Shogun. Is it better or worse than medieval 1?

EDIT: And the fact it was way harder than the kindergarden RTW and M2TW
    Last edited by Savage_Swede; July 03, 2007 at 02:06 PM.

Sig by Lord Rahl
    Under the patronage of Obi Wan Asterix

Europa Barbarorum, what RTW should have been.

i haven't played MTW yet so i can't say for sure, but shogun is a real challenge...you should check it out

Btw, i have thought about getting Shogun. Is it better or worse than medieval 1?

EDIT: And the fact it was way harder than the kindergarden RTW and M2TW
    I think challenge wise they may be the same, they both use the exact same engine, and I actually need to play my mtw1 campaigns on normal or easy if I want to simply survive!!!

I put it on hard once, being french, england AI wiped me out 100% killed me in 4 turns!!!

Not kidding, insane stuff.

So I'd imagine since mtw1 and shogun are the same engine they're both equal in challenge.

Then it would just matter on what your taste is between the two eras, you either would think japanese were cooler or medieval europe.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast