Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Want to know something about another country? Ask it here (AND NO MORE "ASK A ..." THEADS!)

therussian's Avatar Use your imagination

Default Re: Ask a Greek

For Armenians it's probably an 8.

House of the Caesars | Under the Patronage of Comrade Trance Crusader. Proud Patron of Comrades Shadow_Imperator, Zenith Darksea, Final Frontier and Plutarch | Second Generation| ex-Eagle Standard Editor| Consilium de Civitate | Album Reviews

Why is the Orthodox Church so powerful in Greece when in the rest of Europe religion has been on the decline for decades?

jimkatalanos's Avatar 浪人
    Patrician

It's not so powerful. Basicaly the old people are supporters of the church.Since there are many old people the church has some power. However, the church does not have any influence at the government.
    Ερωτηθεὶς τι ποτ' αυτώ περιγέγονεν εκ φιλοσοφίας, έφη, «Το ανεπιτάκτως ποιείν ά τινες διά τον από των νόμων φόβον ποιούσιν.

Under the professional guidance of TWC's Zone expert Garbarsardar
    Patron of Noble Savage, Dimitri_Harkov, MasterOfThessus, The Fuzz, aja5191, Furin, neoptolemos, AnthoniusII, Legio, agisilaos, Romanos IV, Taiji, Leo, Jom, Jarlaxe

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    The universe is change; our life is what our thoughts make it.

The soul becomes dyed with the color of its thoughts.

If you desire to be good, begin by believing that you are wicked.

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit.

οὕτως ἀταλαίπωρος τοῖς πολλοῖς ἡ ζήτησις τῆς ἀληθείας, καὶ ἐπὶ τὰ ἑτοῖμα μᾶλλον τρέπονται.

Questions are not necessarily there to be answered, but possibly there to inspire thinking.

Nullius addictus iurare in verba magistri, - quo me cumque rapit tempestas, deferor hospes.

If mind is common to us, then also the reason, whereby we are reasoning beings, is common. If this be so, then also the reason which enjoins what is to be done or left undone is common. If this be so, law also is common; if this be so, we are citizens; if this be so, we are partakers in one constitution; if this be so, the Universe is a kind of commonwealth.

Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.

There is no chaos in the world, only complexity.
    Knowledge of the complex is wisdom.
    From wisdom of the world comes wisdom of the self.
    Mastery of the self is mastery of the world. Loss of the self is the source of suffering.
    Suffering is a choice, and we can refuse it.
    It is in our power to create the world, or destroy it.

Homo homini lupus est. Homo sacra res homini.

When deeds speak, words are nothing.

Human history is a litany of blood, shed over different ideals of rulership and afterlife

Sol lucet omnibus.

You have power over your mind - not outside events. Realize this, and you will find strength.

Neither should a ship rely on one small anchor, nor should life rest on a single hope.

The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.

Ο Νούς νοεί τον εαυτόν του ως κράτιστος και η νόησή του είναι της νοήσεως νόησις.

'Nothing is true, everything is permitted.' is merely an observation of the nature of reality. To say that nothing is true, is to realize that the foundations of society are fragile, and that we must be the shepherds of our own civilization. To say that everything is permitted, is to understand that we are the architects of our actions, and that we must live with their consequences, whether glorious or tragic.

Do Greeks generally dislike Macedonia/FYROM?

jimkatalanos's Avatar 浪人
    Patrician

Yes, they do. FYROM nowadays is perhaps the most hated nation in greece.
    Ερωτηθεὶς τι ποτ' αυτώ περιγέγονεν εκ φιλοσοφίας, έφη, «Το ανεπιτάκτως ποιείν ά τινες διά τον από των νόμων φόβον ποιούσιν.

Under the professional guidance of TWC's Zone expert Garbarsardar
    Patron of Noble Savage, Dimitri_Harkov, MasterOfThessus, The Fuzz, aja5191, Furin, neoptolemos, AnthoniusII, Legio, agisilaos, Romanos IV, Taiji, Leo, Jom, Jarlaxe

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    The universe is change; our life is what our thoughts make it.

The soul becomes dyed with the color of its thoughts.

If you desire to be good, begin by believing that you are wicked.

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit.

οὕτως ἀταλαίπωρος τοῖς πολλοῖς ἡ ζήτησις τῆς ἀληθείας, καὶ ἐπὶ τὰ ἑτοῖμα μᾶλλον τρέπονται.

Questions are not necessarily there to be answered, but possibly there to inspire thinking.

Nullius addictus iurare in verba magistri, - quo me cumque rapit tempestas, deferor hospes.

If mind is common to us, then also the reason, whereby we are reasoning beings, is common. If this be so, then also the reason which enjoins what is to be done or left undone is common. If this be so, law also is common; if this be so, we are citizens; if this be so, we are partakers in one constitution; if this be so, the Universe is a kind of commonwealth.

Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.

There is no chaos in the world, only complexity.
    Knowledge of the complex is wisdom.
    From wisdom of the world comes wisdom of the self.
    Mastery of the self is mastery of the world. Loss of the self is the source of suffering.
    Suffering is a choice, and we can refuse it.
    It is in our power to create the world, or destroy it.

Homo homini lupus est. Homo sacra res homini.

When deeds speak, words are nothing.

Human history is a litany of blood, shed over different ideals of rulership and afterlife

Sol lucet omnibus.

You have power over your mind - not outside events. Realize this, and you will find strength.

Neither should a ship rely on one small anchor, nor should life rest on a single hope.

The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.

Ο Νούς νοεί τον εαυτόν του ως κράτιστος και η νόησή του είναι της νοήσεως νόησις.

'Nothing is true, everything is permitted.' is merely an observation of the nature of reality. To say that nothing is true, is to realize that the foundations of society are fragile, and that we must be the shepherds of our own civilization. To say that everything is permitted, is to understand that we are the architects of our actions, and that we must live with their consequences, whether glorious or tragic.

Savage_Swede's Avatar Carolus Rex

Quote Originally Posted by Leonidas The Lion View Post
    Especially on the islands.The best are the Swedish()
    Ofc we are

On a serious note though, seems we are usually talked about as some of the more friendly people in europe.

Sig by Lord Rahl
    Under the patronage of Obi Wan Asterix

Europa Barbarorum, what RTW should have been.

John I Tzimisces's Avatar Get born again.

Quote Originally Posted by Bulgaroctonus View Post
    For Armenians it's probably an 8.
    Yeah, really.

Thanks for the answers guys.

(for those who don't know, "Yunanistan" is turkish for Greece.)

Only thing I would have figured is a different name, considering Armenia and Greece had contact long before the Turks arrived. Unless they took the name from us and not the other way around

Quote Originally Posted by John I Tzimisces View Post
    Yeah, really.

Thanks for the answers guys.

(for those who don't know, "Yunanistan" is turkish for Greece.)

Only thing I would have figured is a different name, considering Armenia and Greece had contact long before the Turks arrived. Unless they took the name from us and not the other way around
    Actually its Persian and if we take into account the Armenian kingdom it does make sence, you must have adopted it from them and not from the Ottomans
    I have many swift arrows in the quiver under my arm, arrows that speak to the initiated while the masses need interpreters.
    The man who knows a great deal by nature is truly skillful, while those who have only learned chatter with raucous and indiscriminate tongues in vain like crows..

Pindar 2nd Olympian

THE TRUE MAKEDONIAN HISTORY
    www.macedoniaontheweb.com

Quote Originally Posted by jimkatalanos View Post
    @Herkus
    I can't think the best. The worst,in my opinion, are the British.Most of them get very drunk and cause many problems.

the british also get drunk in america....hmm i guess its universal
    Without a sign, his sword the brave man draws, and asks no omen but his country's cause

Liberalism is a mental disorder

Pra's Avatar Sir Lucious Left Foot

Why do Greeks with the alias Garbarsardar run away from battles on hip hop against Indians named Chandrashekar Azad? (interestingly a 'Sardar' is a name for a person from the North Indian State of Punjab.)

How do you like Halva? In India we mainly use wheat, is that the same from Greek and Turkish Halvas?

Is the 'Roti' a commonly used item in Greek Cooking? (A flatter version of a pita, I think)

Have you ever had North Indian Kabobs? How do you compare them to Greek Kabobs in terms of spices? Or what spices are commonly used in Greek Kabobs?

What's your favourite Kabob recipe (hopefully involving Lamb as I can't touch Beef?)

Have you ever had Moroccan food? If so how would you compare that to Greek food?

What's a simple and easy recipe a light Greek snack? (anything I don't care.)

Do you believe that a bridge through food can unite two seemingly disparate cultures in terms of both geographical and cultural differences?

Olympiakos or Panathaniakos? (or other team.)

How is the state of Cricket (the sport) in Greece?

The greatest modern sporting legend from Greece?

The best Greek Film, Actor, Actress, and Director?

Is the Old Religion of Zeus and the Olympian Gods still followed or revered?

If I wanted to take a trip to Greece what are the places I need to see, given I take a months vacation?

and i wanted to ask this for a long time, whats with all the Greeks and all the Backstabber's ? how come whenever you assemble a group of Greeks in one room you instantly form different allegiances and alliances each willing to Choke each others throat at the most advantageous moment. (these observations are from my experience with a certain Greek Modding team and their ways of working
    Sounds more like Bengalis.
    Last edited by Pra; June 25, 2007 at 10:06 PM.
    Under patronage of Emperor Dimitricus Patron of vikrant1986, ErikinWest, VOP2288

Anagennese, the Rise of the Black Hand

MacMillan doesn't compensate for variable humidity,wind speed and direction or the coriolis effect. Mother nature compensates for where Macmillan's crosshairs are.

Default Ask an Indian (From Asia)

Have any questions? I think we've plenty of Indians here to answer them!!!!! (from Asia)
    Last edited by Pra; June 25, 2007 at 10:12 PM. Reason: clearing up some ambiguity
    Under patronage of Emperor Dimitricus Patron of vikrant1986, ErikinWest, VOP2288

MacMillan doesn't compensate for variable humidity,wind speed and direction or the coriolis effect. Mother nature compensates for where Macmillan's crosshairs are.

Default Re: Ask an Indian

Are you speaking of a Native American Indian or an Indian from Asia?

Default Re: Ask an Indian

Asia.

Default Re: Ask an Indian (From Asia)

I do not understand the purpose of this thread. So if i ask what is 1 + 1? I will get an answer? -Leon

I'm interested because I took a class on this recently. The Vedic peoples, mythologically represented in Indra: is there a reactionary response against them? I know that the Vedic mythology became sublimated to the local Bravidians and that Indra is conceived of as a dishonorable god, but I'm curious to know modern interpretations of the Vedics and Indra.

Quote Originally Posted by invictus View Post
    I do not understand the purpose of this thread. So if i ask what is 1 + 1? I will get an answer? -Leon
    I believe the answer you're looking for, and I may be incorrect here, is 2.

I'm interested because I took a class on this recently. The Vedic peoples, mythologically represented in Indra: is there a reactionary response against them? I know that the Vedic mythology became sublimated to the local Bravidians and that Indra is conceived of as a dishonorable god, but I'm curious to know modern interpretations of the Vedics and Indra.
    I know the Fish will definately be able to answer this way better than I can;
    to my limited knowledge, the vedas in their purest form don't really entertain the concept of the different aspects of 'demigods'. This was done more so for it to be applicable to the masses-the current and most familiar form of Hinduism follows from the Puranic ideologies of different gods with egos.

To be most accurate, it varies with different people, in terms of what they believe, but the Vedas in their purest form is mostly empirical observations on reality and meditations-again to my limited knowledge. There's even a school of thought, which I tend to agree with, that applies Vedic Literature to Quantum and other Physics-through metaphors. In some ways it is deeply scientific as well as deeply spiritual.

Indra himself is seen as the 'king of the gods', but he himself isn't as noble as the other 'gods'. There aren't really any Indra Temples, to my knowledge, in India.

Some have reacted to observed 'cruelities' in Hinduism, via caste system, by mass conversions to Buddhism. This was done at first in the 80s, and I've seen articles where some 'lower caste Hindus' have also done this now as well. India also has an extremely large muslim population (who've produced some of the finest Biryanis, and Indian Fast Bowlers,) the oldest Christian Community outside of Palestine (in Kerala.) In addition, we've sheltered the Dalai Lama in Dharamshala.
    Last edited by Pra; June 25, 2007 at 10:45 PM.

Do you get pissed at the British every time you see a tall, cool, glass of tea?

Quote Originally Posted by Peltasti View Post
    Do you get pissed at the British every time you see a tall, cool, glass of tea?
    Personally, I'm just content for us having taught the Brits a bit about culture; and hopefully besting them this summer in cricket.

hellheaven1987's Avatar Comes Domesticorum

That is not a nice question.

Do India have common language? My Indian friends said Indians speak English when out of their province.

do the people of india resent the british stealing a (as I understand it) item which was said to be given by god to man ( that big ass diamond)