Page 6 of 302 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415163156106 ... LastLast

Thread: BGR-V 20150324. Byg's Grim Reality (Supply & Command Series): Guides, Updates & Optional Extras

Default Re: Byg's Grim Reality 2 - Supply and Command is Ready

Quote Originally Posted by Byg View Post
    Most of this would not be a problem because I would not give supplies to the AI as it would have no idea how to use them.

The biggest problem remains that the supply unit (whilst being able to look like anything) needs to be the general in command of the army.
    Whilst looking like supplies it can't run up and down the line encouraging the troops or charging the enemy.

If you could have an ordinary looking general as the general and another kind of general unit as the supplies AND the real general could 'detect' the traits of the supply unit then all would be ok. But sadly this is not the case.

Ah, i think i see the problem now, your saying you cant make a seperate general be in charge of supplys, while it may look and act in a non combat role, any other general is also the source of supply and kinda makes it pointless.

two thoughts.

Have you looked into adding a new startegic chartcter?, make this the source of supply?.

Why can you not target this new unit that is the source of supply rather than all generals?.

Will this minimod be incorporated in SS4.0 ?

It's on KK's feature list for 4.0.

Byg's Grim Reality Forums
    En mancansa del caval trotta anca el musso

are there any complications that would stop this mini bein added to other mods? how difficult would this be?

Byg's Avatar Read The Manual
    Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by ME2_junky View Post
    Well...I was just unhappy with things...
    I checked again and the general had the trait BEFORE the battle.
    I did not dare attack the besieging army & treid to bring reinforcements, they were only a turn away when the A.I. attacked.

So it is not really a fault of the system...but the general should have his reputation amended (in real life)

The battle result was "close victory" despite knowing, as a player, that it was a phenominal fight. Sometimes the game's assessment of a battle is totally off.
    True I won by a hair's width. But if they would have managed to breach the gate, they had some 4 missile cavalry units + 1 other cavalry left and by then I had 6 units with combined numbers of 150, out of which 100 were archers.

If I was 20 years younger I would stomp my feet...but since I'm not I'll just give you a mean look.

I got so upset I resorted to cheating and removed the trait via console

Oh the shame

In any case, in my opinion a 100 chance is too harsh...while I do believe a player should be challanged, a 100% chance of gaining this trait might cause some false positives...
    your actions are indeed shameful. I'm not sure about lowering the chance of the trait now because as you said, you had the trait before you entered battle wherein I gather the enemy vastly outnumbered you...and you won.

If anything I should make the trait even worse.

I think we have to get rid of the thought that our generals need to have loads of stars etc. You clearly demonstrate we have tougher battles without them.
    That's why I put in the major victory and kill counter. We now have something else to aim for instead of awarding stars, which contribute to the snowball effect of winning that I'm trying to stop.

Again, that said, there is a secret reprieve in that you wont see in that trait, but comes in the form of relief from another trait.
    So please hold off the cheating because I'm sure you can handle it and I need to know if the AI can win.

Quote Originally Posted by Hanny View Post
    Ah, i think i see the problem now, your saying you cant make a seperate general be in charge of supplys, while it may look and act in a non combat role, any other general is also the source of supply and kinda makes it pointless.

two thoughts.

Have you looked into adding a new startegic chartcter?, make this the source of supply?.

Why can you not target this new unit that is the source of supply rather than all generals?.
    The unit with most stars will be the one whos traits influence the army. That can't be changed to my knowledge. I'm not sure if that answers your point...

Quote Originally Posted by tonedog View Post
    are there any complications that would stop this mini bein added to other mods? how difficult would this be?
    To my knowledge 2 other mods are using or plan to use Byg's Grim Reality - Supply & Command

Our resident installer genius nerazzurri is looking into something special in this regard too. Can't say more yet.

There are no major complications in adapting it to any other mod. There are things though, like the extra hard to play Templar tweaks which naturally wont work in a mod that doesn't have Templars. Such things if wanted would have to be specially adapted, perhaps to another faction.

Not a terribly difficult thing to do.

I believe I could add it to any mod, but it needs doing with care.
    Last edited by Byg; July 10, 2007 at 03:09 PM.

well thats very good to hear and again i say thanks for addin this element to total war. some people may complain about this meaning more micro management but anything that adds more tactical/challenging probs to the game cant be a bad thing

Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by tonedog View Post
    well thats very good to hear and again i say thanks for addin this element to total war. some people may complain about this meaning more micro management but anything that adds more tactical/challenging probs to the game cant be a bad thing
    Agreed.
    I have found that the 'battle readiness' and 'supplies' traits become rather intuitive after a short time and thus requires less micromanagement than say building a building or recruiting some troops. So I hope no one is put off.

It requires more thought than micromanagement, as in
    "Where am going to send this army?
    Is it too far?
    By what route would best conserve supplies?
    Can I provide supply ship support?
    Had a reserve army best follow on behind the main force?( playing as Templars means no healing your army in newly conquered towns)
    My men will be demoralised AND out of supplies after such a march - can I still take that city?" etc

With such thoughts considered you don't really need to keep checking on your traits, except in the event of the unexpected.

I added a feature so that all generals, after your initial ones, will get their supplly state and battle readiness trait listed at the top of their trait list. This makes it much easier to quickly check on supply levels and morale.
    I will take care of the starting generals after SS4. ( unless KK reads this and does it himself)

I found that before using these traits combined with SS or DLV I would tediously send an army against any city, inevitably defeat it, instantly repair my troops and within a turn be ready to repeat the process with no hope of any challenge.

The unit with most stars will be the one whos traits influence the army. That can't be changed to my knowledge. I'm not sure if that answers your point...

yes i know that, but the point was that all generals/admirals contain supplys, so the problem with visualising the general unit as a baggage unit is a pointless excercise, since all generals contain supply and haveing a specific unit as the baggage is redundent, so you either have combat generals with bodyguards of with baggage animals instead, but you cant mix and match this as the set up cannot differntuate between differnt forms of a generals unit.

what is a better option is to create a new startegic charcter and tagg that charatcer as the source of supply, rathe rthan the generals/admirals.

Libertus

Quote Originally Posted by nerazzurri View Post
    It's on KK's feature list for 4.0.
    I am just curious, but is Byg's mod something we can disable if we want?

I have a younger kid who likes to try the game sometimes, but this is way outside of his ability. If not I will probably just keep an install of SS 3.2 for him...

I'm waiting until 4.0 to try this but looks interesting, adds a ton of strategic elements!

Thanks to Kalos for the Signature!

I think you should just explain him how the system works and let him try. The challanges only improve ones abilities. If it doesnt work then you can have a seperate game for him.

Chola_Kingdom's Avatar Senator

this mod is actually works for adults. you have to plan your attacks and you have to risk your challenges that's how you play personally i love this mod becase i dont want to win the game and unrealistic unlimited supplies .

btw mate please don't let your kid to play this game. i wouldn't recommend!!

Fan of True Mods for the MTWII :[Stainless steel, Broken Crecent]
    Stainless steel compatible Cinema editorial : Guide
    Viscount In TWC

Quote Originally Posted by Chola_Kingdom View Post
    btw mate please don't let your kid to play this game. i wouldn't recommend!!
    Yeah! Tell him to wait for Manhunt 2 or GTA4!

30 Mis-spellings of Shaeffer and counting!

Libertus

We'll just have to try it once it comes out. He isn't mine, but likes to watch and is trying to figure out some of the game. I currently keep him away from quite a few things, and we always auto-resolve combat. No assassins, short campaign. We sit and choose which way to expand the empire and then point and click. Very basic. Its more a thing that we can do together, as he isn't into WoW yet, we play different xbox games... plus (looks around) he cheats at boardgames. LOL.
    I think I will just keep a copy of 3.2 for him if there isn't going to be any separation.
    There are other games we can play.

Thanks to Kalos for the Signature!

Nice story Grinn

I remember teaming up with my dad in the mid 90's to play XCOM UFO Enemy Unknown when it first came out. He'd do the battles, I'd do the strategy side.

Still one of my favourite experiences
    30 Mis-spellings of Shaeffer and counting!

Caesar Clivus's Avatar SS Forum Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by shaeffer View Post
    Nice story Grinn

I remember teaming up with my dad in the mid 90's to play XCOM UFO Enemy Unknown when it first came out. He'd do the battles, I'd do the strategy side.

Still one of my favourite experiences
    That is awesome Ŝħǽff. UFO is one of my all time favourite games. Every now and again I'll get a wave of nostalgia and fire it up again.

BftB2 UPDATED 22nd DECEMBER. Member of the Complete Byzantine Unit Roster team

Patrician

Just wasted 2 hours trying to post replies on my other thread (http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=108335) so I have to be brief. Whats up with this site?

I have no access to my computer midweek for a few weeks now so thanks to anyone for answering anyone else's queries here.

I will have to work on 'Byg's Grim Reality 3 - The Scourge of God' in my head and hopefully have something in a month.

Hi Byg,

Suspect your quite busy right now answering queries, but could I just check a few things as new to these traits.

Reputaion Destroyed: is the threshold meant to be 1

Movement: Does this mod take into account the reduced movement of v4.0, or do the turns in field need to be adjusted. In any campaign I have run, the max. time my army (barring crusades) have been in the field would be approx 8 turns; 2-3 to get there, rest to seige, so not sure why you have values of 32.

What is an enemy region, ie what about vassals, military access

Overconfidence: Not sure why you choose values eg

Trigger Over_Confidence
    WhenToTest CharacterTurnStart
    Condition CharacterIsLocal
    and Trait MVC < 1
    and Trait FMVC < 1
    and Trait TMVC < 1
    and Attribute Command > 3
    and Attribute Command < 7
    and Trait Ovcon < 1
    Affects Con 3 Chance 100
    Affects Ovcon 4 Chance 100

As I see confidence, my first test would be do you have Strategic / Tactical skill, as these I feel should give confidence. If not start with overconfidence and have a sliding scale, so that as command increases you decrease this effect, so that about command 1-3 overconfident, 4-6 neutral, 7-10 confident. I would also seperate this from command so the two work independently. The idea has been using other systems to reduce getting command stars, so a player 4 star general should be rare.

So when over confident; troop morale, movement, supplies whould be lowered (the troops know your going to get them killed as you charge about), as you gain confidence; +morale, movement, supplies to reflect your better understanding of tactics and strategy through winnning battles.

Apologies if you answered some of this, KK should probarly done a FAQ sticky for this to avoid the 101 threads which are appearing.

To err is human, but to really foul things up you need a computer.
    Paul Ehrlich

Just wasted 2 hours trying to post replies on my other thread (http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=108335) so I have to be brief. Whats up with this site?

I have no access to my computer midweek for a few weeks now so thanks to anyone for answering anyone else's queries here.
    Yeah the site becomes inaccessible periodically. I type out my posts in wordpad now after having lost a few after submitting only to find the server down.

I have a situation with the 'reputation destroyed' trait. I had some bad luck with my heir coming of age in Kiev on the same turn it was besieged by Poland and he got the trait. I had some merchant cavalry on the way to break the siege but a Polish diplomat approached me and I managed to get them to agree to become a vassal state, thus ending the war, and the siege on Kiev. Now ten or so turns later he still has the trait. Is there any way to get rid of it? Would getting him besieged again elsewhere and successfully breaking the siege with reinforcements do the trick?

To top it off I left him sitting around in the capital long enough to acquire 'too comfortable' and is now sporting the title Prince Vladimir the Lazy

I will have to work on 'Byg's Grim Reality 3 - The Scourge of God' in my head and hopefully have something in a month.
    Lookin' forward to it

yeah ive disabled the reputation destroyed trait as i feel its way to harse at present

I have an Idea. I enjoy using fortresses and often station armies in fortresses to better defend my borders and keep large numbers of units outside of cities. Im just proposing that could you work the mod so that if a province has 50% of your faction's religion and you put a fort down that the fort will supply armies?