Thread: BGR-V 20150324. Byg's Grim Reality (Supply & Command Series): Guides, Updates & Optional Extras

Default Re: BGR-V 20150324. Byg's Grim Reality (Supply & Command Series): Guides, Updates & Optional Extras

You will probably see the crusaders start to fall after turn 50 or so. After that the Fatimids are able to start training a lot of troops and just overwhelm them if you don't step in to help.

Default Re: BGR-V 20150324. Byg's Grim Reality (Supply & Command Series): Guides, Updates & Optional Extras

Quote Originally Posted by Lucio Domicio Aureliano View Post
    Thank you. One more thing, this probably has nothing to do with BGR V, but could you tell me how can i recruit the Varangian guard? Are they event related, or the sorts?

Thx

They are recruitable from the city wall building like all units, under these conditions:

Code:
    recruit_pool "Varangian Guard" 0 1 1 0 requires factions { byzantium, } and not event_counter freeze_units 1 and event_counter HEAVY_MAIL_ARMOR 1 and not event_counter varangian_guard 1
    So they can be built in any of your cities, but you have to wait for the HEAVY_MAIL_ARMOR event.

However, per the events file, it looks like HEAVY_MAIL_ARMOR is set to fire on turn 0, so you should have access to them right away as far as that condition is concerned.

Next, let's assess the varangian_guard condition. At the end of your turn, the counter is set to 0 for all the special units, which should permit recruitment.
    It looks like the counter's purpose is to ensure there is only one of them at a time. So the only reason I can see here that you can't recruit Varangian guards from the very beginning is that you or someone else must already have a unit of them in existence.

Hmm. I see varangian mentioned a bunch of other times, but it appears to be the no-governor lockout script, nothing I can make sense of to pinpoint a problem.

The comment for the unit descriptor says it's a 'merc', but I don't actually see the 'mercenary' line in the right place, but I'm no expert. So it's possible that some other faction has recruited them via the mercenary panel and that is what's causing you to only have one copy?

I just fired up a game, and I START with the Varangian guard in Nicaea. Then I disbanded them, and on the following turn was able to recruit a new regiment of them. Did you never get your starting unit of them? Or did you lose them but are unable to replace them somehow?

Quote Originally Posted by myarta View Post
    They are recruitable from the city wall building like all units, under these conditions:

Code:
    recruit_pool "Varangian Guard" 0 1 1 0 requires factions { byzantium, } and not event_counter freeze_units 1 and event_counter HEAVY_MAIL_ARMOR 1 and not event_counter varangian_guard 1
    So they can be built in any of your cities, but you have to wait for the HEAVY_MAIL_ARMOR event.

However, per the events file, it looks like HEAVY_MAIL_ARMOR is set to fire on turn 0, so you should have access to them right away as far as that condition is concerned.

Next, let's assess the varangian_guard condition. At the end of your turn, the counter is set to 0 for all the special units, which should permit recruitment.
    It looks like the counter's purpose is to ensure there is only one of them at a time. So the only reason I can see here that you can't recruit Varangian guards from the very beginning is that you or someone else must already have a unit of them in existence.

Hmm. I see varangian mentioned a bunch of other times, but it appears to be the no-governor lockout script, nothing I can make sense of to pinpoint a problem.

The comment for the unit descriptor says it's a 'merc', but I don't actually see the 'mercenary' line in the right place, but I'm no expert. So it's possible that some other faction has recruited them via the mercenary panel and that is what's causing you to only have one copy?

I just fired up a game, and I START with the Varangian guard in Nicaea. Then I disbanded them, and on the following turn was able to recruit a new regiment of them. Did you never get your starting unit of them? Or did you lose them but are unable to replace them somehow?
    I still have my Varangian guard (somewhat depleted), thats it then, it is an unique unit. Thx Myarta.

And Husky, they will fall then for i am in no condition to help for the forseable future. Diplomacy wise, they AI is extremely intrasigent. As of yet, i was not able to trade a single map information .

By the way, is the man power feature apllied to the AI as well?
    Last edited by Lucio Domicio Aureliano; November 15, 2015 at 06:57 PM.

Yeah one downside to BGRV is that when you queue up a unit to replenish its numbers, it costs the whole amount. What you can do is wait until it falls below 33% strength (because you only get 1 point out of 3 back for disbanding it, so disbanding it at two-thirds strength wastes a point), then get your one point refund for disbanding it in the settlement, and buy a new one for a net cost of 2. It will be shiny and new at 100% again. I do wish you could 'top off' units, but the limitations of the scripting won't let you charge fractions of a point based on how many troops were replenished.

Yeah one downside to BGRV is that when you queue up a unit to replenish its numbers, it costs the whole amount. What you can do is wait until it falls below 33% strength (because you only get 1 point out of 3 back for disbanding it, so disbanding it at two-thirds strength wastes a point), then get your one point refund for disbanding it in the settlement, and buy a new one for a net cost of 2. It will be shiny and new at 100% again. I do wish you could 'top off' units, but the limitations of the scripting won't let you charge fractions of a point based on how many troops were replenished.
    I didnt now about that, i thought it would always get one point from disbanding... so far i like the mod very much, my only restriction is with the diplomacy AI. Could you tell me if, when we are stronger, its easier to trade maps and get alliances going?

Cheers,

Once you get stronger and better relations yes it will get easier. Best way to improve relations is to go to war with a faction that is at war with one you want to ally. Kick their but around and your relations with the other faction will go up fast.

Quote Originally Posted by HUSKY View Post
    Once you get stronger and better relations yes it will get easier. Best way to improve relations is to go to war with a faction that is at war with one you want to ally. Kick their but around and your relations with the other faction will go up fast.
    Good. Thx, btw roman generals (too strong) for the win.

I didnt now about that, i thought it would always get one point from disbanding... so far i like the mod very much, my only restriction is with the diplomacy AI. Could you tell me if, when we are stronger, its easier to trade maps and get alliances going?

Cheers,
    Sorry, I must have been unclear. You always only get 1 point back from disbanding a unit.
    To build a new Varangian guard, it costs 2 points if you are turning in an old one. This is because you get 1 point back from the disband, and pay out 3 for the new unit, for a net loss of 2.

But if your Varangian guard is at 70% strength, you're going to pay 2 points to get only 30% more men. While if you disband it at 40% strength, you get 60% of the men also for 2 points.

I think if you're below 1 point's worth of strength, you don't get any points for the disband.

Sorry, I must have been unclear. You always only get 1 point back from disbanding a unit.
    To build a new Varangian guard, it costs 2 points if you are turning in an old one. This is because you get 1 point back from the disband, and pay out 3 for the new unit, for a net loss of 2.

But if your Varangian guard is at 70% strength, you're going to pay 2 points to get only 30% more men. While if you disband it at 40% strength, you get 60% of the men also for 2 points.

I think if you're below 1 point's worth of strength, you don't get any points for the disband.
    I see. You were clear in your first post, i just misread it... precisely, it is not worth to retrain a unit, unless said unit has some chevrons on it. After all, you would be spending fulll man power to get a fraction of soldiers.

I can't download BGR-V from the filedropper link. It keeps sending me to the home page of the website.

Icon4 Re: BGR-V 20150324. Byg's Grim Reality (Supply & Command Series): Guides, Updates & Optional Extras

Quote Originally Posted by boszo View Post
    I can't download BGR-V from the filedropper link. It keeps sending me to the home page of the website.
    Hey, lucky you - I just happened to decide today to reinstall SS with BGRV, and just happened to still have my original download of BGRV, which appears to still be the most recent version. Hopefully my HDD hasn't corrupted it since I originally downloaded it, as I'd hate to think this wonderful submod had been lost, especially since it looks to me like he may have dropped off the map entirely after releasing this version. I sure hope not, but one can burn out while modding. I don't know much about FileDropper, so I'll check back here in a few days to see if anyone reports an issue with the link.

http://www.filedropper.com/bgrv150324

Oh, hey, someone else posted a link a few pages back, too. Good times. I suppose this will end up getting reposted a few different times, which is probably good, keeping the available links robust.

Hey, could you tell me how do i change the campaign AI? Just run the SS4 installer again? I feel diplomacy is non existant as it stands...Is it save game compatible? Although my campaign is progressing well, i did not manage to trade a single map information as of yet... even regular trade seem difficult and alliances are obviously out of the table.

Ty
    Last edited by Lucio Domicio Aureliano; November 20, 2015 at 11:13 AM.

There's a setup application in your SS folder where you change the AI. I don't think it's savegame compatible, though if you set it back again later you can pick up that savegame again.

Quote Originally Posted by Funkmaster Rick View Post
    There's a setup application in your SS folder where you change the AI. I don't think it's savegame compatible, though if you set it back again later you can pick up that savegame again.

Ty... i don't have to uninstall anything, right?

Ty... i don't have to uninstall anything, right?
    No you don't need to uninstall anything. You should go to your stainless steel install and put a shortcut on your desktop for the SS_Setup icon. It should look a little like a sword. Every time you run the game you need to run the SS_Setup this will make sure you use the same scrips and mods every time you start the game. If you change one setting in the setup it will not be save game compatible so make sure you remember how you set everything up for your save game....

Quote Originally Posted by Funkmaster Rick View Post
    Hey, lucky you - I just happened to decide today to reinstall SS with BGRV, and just happened to still have my original download of BGRV, which appears to still be the most recent version. Hopefully my HDD hasn't corrupted it since I originally downloaded it, as I'd hate to think this wonderful submod had been lost, especially since it looks to me like he may have dropped off the map entirely after releasing this version. I sure hope not, but one can burn out while modding. I don't know much about FileDropper, so I'll check back here in a few days to see if anyone reports an issue with the link.

http://www.filedropper.com/bgrv150324
    Doing gods work, thanks.

Anyone have a copy of the V manual? The link doesn't seem to work anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by HUSKY View Post
    No you don't need to uninstall anything. You should go to your stainless steel install and put a shortcut on your desktop for the SS_Setup icon. It should look a little like a sword. Every time you run the game you need to run the SS_Setup this will make sure you use the same scrips and mods every time you start the game. If you change one setting in the setup it will not be save game compatible so make sure you remember how you set everything up for your save game....

Thank you. Do you guys recommend to play with the "equal priority recruitment" on? I chose this setting for my campaign, but it seems to me the AI is only recruiting infantry? Would i see more cavalry if i disable the "equal priority recruitment"? Thx in advance.

No don't use equal priority recruitment, you will see mostly knights mounted and non. Or you could use the new file from booze a few pages back. I'm liking it for my game. Much more balanced but make sure you don't train all knights or it will make it to easy. The idea is you and the ai train more lower tier units. This is for more historical game play.

the manual was posted a few pages back as well...