Thread: Hungary

Csatádi's Avatar Senator

Default Hungary

I can help if you need info about Hungary.

\Vazul's Ghost/'s Avatar Senator

Default Re: Hungary

Sorry but I have to say this, LOVE YOUR MOD CSATADI!!
    γνῶθι σεαυτόν ~ μηδὲν ἄγαν

Csatádi's Avatar Senator

Thanks!
    We are working to make the units more historical but the lack of a modeller set back us.
    I hope many mod will use the Magyar Mod.

Ok this thread should get going, although i like the mod i think Hungary and Carpathia was one of the most neglected regions within it. So how about I start... It was great servia was a region in Anno Domini, but its city was Beograde. This is historically incorrect as during most of the middle ages Beograd was in fact Nandorfahervar, a Hungarian frontier castle and site of one of the greatest hungarian military victories of the age. I believe it became part of Servia after the ottoman defeat of the hungarians in the 1400s. I don't know what an accurate serbian city would be for the mod, but it shouldn't be Beograd. Secondly, another minor inacuracy is the labelling of Transylvania as a Voivode. Transylvania was a region of Hungary, whose natives if anything were magyars, whom emerged as the dominant ethnicity in Transylvania (Erdely in Hungarian) from the chaos of the migration period. The hungarians were gradually outbred (by vlachs and other ethnicitys who make up the cultural sphere of modern romania), particularly from the 1300s. I dont want to get into another debate about Tansylvania/Erdely, but it is an irrefutable historical fact that in 1080, Transylvania is best classified under the same system as the other hungarian regions, not the Romanian Voivode term.

great mod, and as csatádi started this topic here i thought i'll add this here too:
    now the family members' name is like László Árpádok. it sounds a bit weird; so i'd suggest to change the name on family tree screen (if possible) to László of Árpádház; OR Árpádházi. this both means laszlo of arpad's house. that would be correct.
    cheers

Been doing some research and it doesn't really matter to much about the voivode thing as i couldn't find a Hungarian term for the rulers of Transylvania other then voivode...

Odovacar's Avatar I am with Europe!

Quote Originally Posted by \Vazul's Ghost/ View Post
    Ok this thread should get going, although i like the mod i think Hungary and Carpathia was one of the most neglected regions within it. So how about I start... It was great servia was a region in Anno Domini, but its city was Beograde. This is historically incorrect as during most of the middle ages Beograd was in fact Nandorfahervar, a Hungarian frontier castle and site of one of the greatest hungarian military victories of the age. I believe it became part of Servia after the ottoman defeat of the hungarians in the 1400s. I don't know what an accurate serbian city would be for the mod, but it shouldn't be Beograd. Secondly, another minor inacuracy is the labelling of Transylvania as a Voivode. Transylvania was a region of Hungary, whose natives if anything were magyars, whom emerged as the dominant ethnicity in Transylvania (Erdely in Hungarian) from the chaos of the migration period. The hungarians were gradually outbred (by vlachs and other ethnicitys who make up the cultural sphere of modern romania), particularly from the 1300s. I dont want to get into another debate about Tansylvania/Erdely, but it is an irrefutable historical fact that in 1080, Transylvania is best classified under the same system as the other hungarian regions, not the Romanian Voivode term.
    Generally true, fellow hungarian, but in medieval Hungary the rank 'prince' was not used. We use now the german word 'herceg' (herzog) which was not used then.

Transylvania was a principality, which was originally named 'vajdaság'
    (viovodeship)
    The word 'vajda' comes from the slavic viovoda, justr as the word 'ispán' comes from a slavic 'supan'
    Thus the Transylvania has the correct status in the mod.
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB HORSEARCHER
    quis enim dubitat quin multis iam saeculis, ex quo vires illius ad Romanorum nomen accesserint, Italia quidem sit gentium domina gloriae vetustate sed Pannonia virtute

Sorry Armenia, for the rascals who lead us.

Quote Originally Posted by \Vazul's Ghost/ View Post
    Been doing some research and it doesn't really matter to much about the voivode thing as i couldn't find a Hungarian term for the rulers of Transylvania other then voivode...
    I think I beat you to it but i appreciate you're correction nonetheless. By the way I'm actually Australian, just fascinated by Hungarian history. Ive been doing some more research concerning Nandorfahervar and found that it alternated frequently between hungarian and other control, but Janos Hunyadi's great victory happened there so it should still be part of hungary in my personal opinion; but thats at the risk of a loss of Historical accuracy. Perhaps Beograd should be excluded as a settlement altogether as it was pretty small, and instead Smederevo should be Servia's city, as it was the capital of the northern Servian despotate from 1427. A servian historian could probably supply you with better information for that.